Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Final Battle

Page: 1 of 1
 vader815
12-04-2005, 3:13 PM
I hope in K3 that the final battle against you alone and the main sith lord that the battle will be more video like. I mean like you're jumping off walls and knocked down lightsabers or even a collapsing room and you're fighting while it happens.
 JediMaster12
12-05-2005, 12:07 PM
That doesn't make sense unless you mean that it look like TSL when you fight Kreia. Making it more video like would change the type of game it is. After all the KOTOR and TSL were RPGs and if KOTOR3 is then it wouldn't make much sense.
 RedHawke
12-06-2005, 2:03 AM
I hope in K3 that the final battle against you alone and the main sith lord that the battle will be more video like. I mean like you're jumping off walls and knocked down lightsabers or even a collapsing room and you're fighting while it happens.
I realise this sounds fun to you Vader815, but I am going to have to disagree. This would be out of place in the KOTOR series.
 Aurora Merlow
12-06-2005, 5:03 AM
I realise this sounds fun to you Vader815, but I am going to have to disagree. This would be out of place in the KOTOR series.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with improving graphics but changing the whole style isn't a great idea
 Vibro
12-06-2005, 6:40 AM
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with improving graphics but changing the whole style isn't a great idea

Agreed. There is definitely no need to change the style of the KOTOR games. Besides, the next game will be on the XBOX 360, so the graphics will be greatly improved.
 Soogz
12-06-2005, 8:22 AM
May have to fourth that. Simply because that is the style and if they were to change it, it would be completely different. Better graphics wouldn't hurt though.
 Vladimir-Vlada
12-06-2005, 8:49 AM
Sorry, but I don't think that it is that good to see how you watch how your own character bounces of the wall and fights him himself. Although at least the final battle could spare some improvments at least.
 RobQel-Droma
12-06-2005, 11:05 AM
I agree with every single one of you. Its an RPG, don't change the whole style just so it can look kind of cool. The final battle can be good without all that.
 The_Maker
12-06-2005, 2:14 PM
Just No.

When you add jumping and dodging and running and strafing to an RPG you take away the mood and it becomes more of a TPS than an RPG.

:disaprove
 Darth333
12-06-2005, 2:26 PM
I agree with all the others who disagree with the original idea... Kotor must not turn into another button mashing game.
 JediMaster12
12-06-2005, 2:36 PM
I agree with all the others who disagree with the original idea... Kotor must not turn into another button mashing game.

YES!!! Because my controller is already like crap because of my brother's constant pounding on it with his wrestling game.
 IndianaSolo
12-06-2005, 8:17 PM
So this is, what, post #1,001 suggesting a FPS-style button mashing game? :lol:

Maybe the mods can create one thread where all people who want JA or JK style games can come up with their ideas, rather than having a new thread pop up every other day by someone new who thinks it would be wonderful to turn KOTOR into an action button mashing game. :smash:
 JediMaster12
12-06-2005, 8:35 PM
Nice and I bet you wish that yourself.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Aboslutely not.

What in space are you thinking? I don't think changing the whole style at the end of a three game series is even possible.

Even if it was, Why?

Although, I do believe the graphics will be greatly improved. I'm sure the devs are trying to figure out how to bring Kotor back to the original '03 game of the year popularity. It's going to be difficult with the drop off K2 took.
 JediMaster12
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
See your point I do. Clear our minds must be in order to say what we think.

It would just totally drag down what the original game's engine is. I do agree that LA would be hardpressed to figure out how to bring KOTOR 3 to the same level as KOTOR.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-07-2005, 1:20 PM
Hardpressed is not the word.
How about, 'IMPOSSIBLE'?
 Ztalker
12-07-2005, 2:19 PM
Did you ask yoursel;f how kotor is made?
It uses the Dungeons and Dragons set!
In Baldurs Gate, you can't dodge, in Neverwinter Nights you can't dodge.
All i mean to say is, changing the system might result in a bad game.
Good 'dodgers' don't have to spend points in Dexternity, they just click.

One word:

(puts up Darth Vader voice) * Nooooooo*

PS: Graphics MUST be improved. Kotor 1 and 2 where specificly designed for X-Box, so we had bad and ugly graphics. Creating it for the X-Box 360 might turn out to be the boost the series needs.
 Vladimir-Vlada
12-07-2005, 2:26 PM
...in Neverwinter Nights you can't dodge.
Not exactly. During both ranged and melee combat, the character does move around the enemy and strafes left and right. Also the weapons clash better.

Creating it for the X-Box 360 might turn out to be the boost the series needs.

X-Box 360 is the same thing as the old X-Box: Unstable junk in my opinion.
 JediMaster12
12-07-2005, 5:14 PM
(puts up Darth Vader voice) * Nooooooo*

That's what I say about changing the game engine

Graphics MUST be improved. Kotor 1 and 2 where specificly designed for X-Box, so we had bad and ugly graphics. Creating it for the X-Box 360 might turn out to be the boost the series needs.

Maybe but not everyone could afford a new piece of gear to play the game. I know I can't and I like KOTOR.
 ilwugoalie
12-07-2005, 7:44 PM
X-Box 360 is the same thing as the old X-Box: Unstable junk in my opinion.

I really want to hear how your giong to expaline how the 360 is the same as the previous X Box. and with the exception of the old school Nintendo Box, every system that has come out has had problems at the launch. If people use common sense and dont buy the damm thing right out of the gate, they wont get stuck with the glitches.

and for the record, KOTOR III will look great on the 360
 90SK
12-07-2005, 9:50 PM
Yeah, that's a bit overkill. All I want is the characters to slowly move forward or backward while fighting, instead of this dull stationary duel. Maybe depending on your strength and health, or something.
 lukeiamyourdad
12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Maybe but not everyone could afford a new piece of gear to play the game. I know I can't and I like KOTOR.

It is unfortunate technology and society can't slow down for you alone :dozey:
 Nuitari_28
12-12-2005, 2:02 PM
i have to agree with the disagreer's (is that even a word?) Although i wouldnt mind a cut scene in the middle of the battle to know something has changed becuase i love cut scenes in kotor they look so good, and with the 360's graphics the cut scenes could be even better with better graphics and a more slic feel maybe even getting rid of some rubbish loading times.
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 11:18 PM
I understand what youre saying, but that would conflict with the combat system and the basics of the KOTOR series, what you want seems more suited for the JK series. Having it as a cutscene might not be that bad, like a cutscene fight that leads to a different area or a change in the original area.
 JediMaster12
12-21-2005, 6:25 PM
Well Darca Lar at least knows what's good. I agree. The real time movie cut fight scene...thingy, whatever I don't know technical stuff, would change the combat system. I like the turn based because I thought it cool and it is easier to change up the attack line.
 PoiuyWired
12-22-2005, 9:02 PM
That's what I say about changing the game engine

If I remember right, the game is coming out on PC also (after xXxb0x release)... so you don't want to give money to the lowlife empire of Micro$haft you can wait for PC release.
 vader815
04-13-2006, 10:38 PM
If I remember right, the game is coming out on PC also (after xXxb0x release)... so you don't want to give money to the lowlife empire of Micro$haft you can wait for PC release.

How dare you say Microsoft is a lowlife empire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Vaelastraz
04-14-2006, 3:41 AM
Personally, i want to fight that Final Battle myself. It should be challenging and suprising and epic.
However, Cutscenes during the battle would be nice.
For instance in Kotor 1, you fight against Malak, then suddenly you hit him one more time and he is defeated, but still he can talk.
Or in Kotor 2, you fight against Kreia, suddenly you have obviously cut off her hand.

Scenes like that could be shown in nice cutscenes where you see that final bit of battle. Like a nice attack combo which cuts Kreias hand off. IF the quality of that cutscene fights would be like Jedi Academy, woudlnt that be great?
 Hallucination
04-15-2006, 4:52 PM
More video like you say? Couldn't you just go and rent the Matrix instead?
I'm with everyone else on this one. :)
 stoffe
04-15-2006, 5:36 PM
Scenes like that could be shown in nice cutscenes where you see that final bit of battle. Like a nice attack combo which cuts Kreias hand off. IF the quality of that cutscene fights would be like Jedi Academy, woudlnt that be great?

I prefer being in control of my character during combat rather than sit and watch while the computer have them do stupid things. Like in Jedi Academy where you just stand and watch like an idiot and let Tavion freely awaken the ghost of Ragnos without lifting a finger to stop her. Very :roleyess: invoking.

I'd actually prefer there being no bossfight at the end at all. Imagine the outcry, the horror of an RPG ending without a big fight against a cheesy boss breaking every rule they can manage? It would be unprecedented. :)
 igyman
04-15-2006, 5:43 PM
I have no problems with both ideas, but I will say that the old style was better for this game in particular, since it at least prevented the player from going berserk and start killing friendly NPCs in the middle of the street, the real time fighting system probably couldn't do that.
 DarthZayne
04-15-2006, 5:53 PM

i Agree with you , first of all the game is a Star wars game , then an rpg .(semi real time rpg.)

iam not going to talk about the combat system agian , but after 2 game's with the same combat system is getting anoying i dont realy feel some challenge to pause then put my skills on then unpause . Its like World of warcraft for me . [all you need is a good stats/item build then trust me or not u just use master speed then if i want i can go make me some food then come back even if i have 20 enemy atacking me i wont die.]

your idea about the level colapsing is very nice , huge rock going down on you should be able to make dmg you will have to move and fight at the same time should make more challenging.
 Henz
04-15-2006, 7:01 PM
I only want 1 thing to change with the last fight: The Final this time should include 2 major villains; villains who's gender is decided by yours. Think of the multiple ending options:

1. You kill them both
2. You tell A you love them, and you both kill B
3. You turn B to the light side, and you both kill A
4. You tell B you love them, B says its too late, you kill both
5. You try to turn A, A rejects, you kill them both
6. You lie to A that you love them, both kill B, then you kill A
7. You turn B to the light side, both kill A, then you kill B
8. You say you love them both, they fight (A wins if your DS, B wins if your LS)
9. You say you love them both, they fight, you kill survivor A
10. You say you love them both, they fight, you kill survivor B
11. You try to turn them both, A rejects it, murders B, you kill A

And I'm sure there's more
 KyleOfHarpenden
04-15-2006, 7:23 PM
cutscenes would be good i wpouldent mind decapatating the boss of the game then burning there body>:) But if the boss of the game could like lift u up and throw u against walls and u like slide down them that would be ok and maybe u can do that 2 them like a level 4 push and doesnt look as bad as wave(whirlwind was better) and maybe u can like do more classy moves like some acrobatics but dont take it far, i wont get a 360 just for kotor3 itll come out on pc and ill get it on that i wont pay about 300 quid then the 50 or whatever the games r on 360 just for kotor 3 no MATTER WHAT!(well if revan returns?) anyways the combat should stay the same but just updating the moves looks they proved they could do it with force crush and with the extra power of a 360 its nearley limitless well until the ps3 then thell have a realy war1. The final battle for me i would like 2 see a useful thing for battle meditation u could only use it once in TSL propally maybe u could like have 2 turn the tide of a big war or somin i prefered the TSL final battle to the kotor one coz u didnt have 2 do as much work ;)
 †Saint_Killa†
04-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I hope in K3 that the final battle against you alone and the main sith lord that the battle will be more video like. I mean like you're jumping off walls and knocked down lightsabers or even a collapsing room and you're fighting while it happens.You could just watch a duel from the movies without tampering KotOR at all.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
04-15-2006, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't mind that sort of thing as a cutscene, but KotOR's an RPG, not a 3rd-person shooter-it shouldn't have that sort of thing.
 Ben_Walker
04-15-2006, 11:18 PM
The idea of cutscenes during a duel, at a crucial part of the battle where it could take you to another arena reminds me of the ROTS game, which was fine and all, just got repeatative when it occured in every duel - could've at least had a different number of arenas for each duel instead of four. If these cutscenes were varied, could work.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
04-15-2006, 11:33 PM
They don't have to be during the battle though ;)
 Ben_Walker
04-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Valid point.
 Marcus55
04-16-2006, 2:59 AM
If this was to happen, then it would change the game type, making it non-kotor like, as others have said. I wouldn't mind just a long duel with the main sith lord(s) and make it a hard, intense fight.
 Vaelastraz
04-16-2006, 7:17 AM
I prefer being in control of my character during combat rather than sit and watch while the computer have them do stupid things. Like in Jedi Academy where you just stand and watch like an idiot and let Tavion freely awaken the ghost of Ragnos without lifting a finger to stop her. Very :roleyess: invoking.

I'd actually prefer there being no bossfight at the end at all. Imagine the outcry, the horror of an RPG ending without a big fight against a cheesy boss breaking every rule they can manage? It would be unprecedented. :)

Well, i've played many Rpgs and right now i cant think of one without some kind of bossfight. Bossfights are there for a reason, just because it would add something "new" doesnt mean that would actually be good.

And about your point "sit and watch while the computer ...". So could you acutally cut off Kreia's hand? Or did you just click on an attack or used some force power (like choke... choke off hands) ? Cut scenes would not take something away from the fight, but add details! It could also be a cutscene where your enemy collapses after you defeated him/her.

But maybe i just like well done cutscenes in games.
 stoffe
04-16-2006, 7:58 AM
Well, i've played many Rpgs and right now i cant think of one without some kind of bossfight. Bossfights are there for a reason

What would this reason be, and why can't the same need be fulfilled though some other, more believable method? I just think pitting you against an enemy that for some unexplainable reason is insanely powerful compared to everything else, and who breaks the rules of the game as they see fit, is the easy way out to provide a challenge and "Wow! factor" at the end. No need to get innovative when you have an easy way that has been used for decades.

Now, I admit some bosses can be fun to fight if you can manage to suspend disbelief. My main problem with the boss concept though is that it strongarms the RPG into being an Action-RPG. If you are forced to go head to head with some big bad in direct combat, where usually all other tricks than just dealing raw damage won't work (since bosses tend to be immune to all effects/statuses under the sun), it forces the player to focus on the combat aspect of the game to the exclusion of everything else if they want to have a chance of finishing the game. And RPG has the potential to offer so much more than just slashing enemies to bits.

How would a "social manipulator" character with high charisma and Persuade, or a "Covert Ops" character with Stealth/Sneak attack, fare against a combat juggernaut that won't talk, can see right through any stealth and is immune to sneak attacks? Or Wizard/Caster/Force User focused characters who don't primarily focus on a couple of raw damage-dealer spells/powers, but use the other spells/powers available that the bosses conveniently are immune to?

At least some games (like PS:Torment) offers you the choice of fighting or dealing with the End Boss in some other way. I suppose that's good enough for me, providing satisfaction for both those who want a serious fight and those who want to try another path. But after fighting through bosses for 15 years (and being forced to rely on cheats on the occasions I felt like playing a character not focusing solely on combat and damage dealing) it would be refreshing with some new ideas. Surprise me. :)

And about your point "sit and watch while the computer ...". So could you acutally cut off Kreia's hand?

Would you really need a cutscene for something like this? You could just make it a scripted event during the combat and make it happen when some condition is fulfilled (like the enemy being below certain health, or you hit them in the general area of their hand). Just like Power Attacks and Flurry have their own animations, so could a condition like that have one. :)

I suppose short cutscenes wouldn't be so bad on occasion, as long as they stay away from the 2 hour motion pictures that are triggered every 10 minutes in many japanese RPGs :)
 Arбtoeldar
04-16-2006, 10:58 AM

Agreed two of my favorite games have been dumbed downed for the console market.
 Vaelastraz
04-19-2006, 10:36 AM
My main problem with the boss concept though is that it strongarms the RPG into being an Action-RPG. If you are forced to go head to head with some big bad in direct combat, where usually all other tricks than just dealing raw damage won't work (since bosses tend to be immune to all effects/statuses under the sun), it forces the player to focus on the combat aspect of the game to the exclusion of everything else if they want to have a chance of finishing the game. And RPG has the potential to offer so much more than just slashing enemies to bits.

Well, quite a few RPGs offer to reduce the difficulty during a game, which should be enough to get past a boss fight with a non combat based character.

Right RPGs have the potential to offer much more than slashing enemies, but killing enemies is still a major part in getting experience and items.

I really like bosses, as they tend to make a good story more dynamic and personal. Give that boss a suiting voice, a good apearance, reasonable motivations and the impact on atomsphere and story is great. At least for me.
The fight against that boss is nice as well, ther just has to be one "last" task wich the PC has to fulfill, that doesnt have to be a bossfight though.
 bobogarcia
04-22-2006, 2:34 PM
and for the record, KOTOR III will look great on the 360

Soooo true. And make it for PC too. the last battle should be against the protagonist, but have an option to convert to LS
Page: 1 of 1