Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

To Jedi, or not to Jedi.... that is the Question

Page: 2 of 2
 Darth Smaug
12-29-2005, 8:27 AM
The budha is an enlightned person and ANYONE can become a budha if they acheive enlightment Not divinity.

come now, you should learned that in school.

Now what about sjieva?
And i'll have to tell you that i rarely pay attention on school :D
 Addlcove
12-29-2005, 9:32 AM
okay my input :) wether you'd like it or not

I do not think the exile is a Jedi at the start of the game, because

he has no forcepowers and he is not recognized by the authorities (the council) as one.

let me give you an example.

KoToR 1: is Jolee Bindo a Jedi? he uses the force, wields a lightsaber, but never rose above the rank of padawan.

what you need to remember is that Jedi does not equal "force user that uses powers for good" but "force user that has been trained and accepted by the Jedi Council"

The exile is, all the way through STL, in my opinion, like Jolee Bindo, he's a "neutral" not between the dark side and the light side, but between the institutions of the Jedi and the Sith.
 Rok_stoned
12-29-2005, 12:18 PM
^^yep thats right on
 RobQel-Droma
12-29-2005, 8:13 PM
he has no forcepowers and he is not recognized by the authorities (the council) as one.

For one, you are not determined by what different force powers you have, it has nothing to do with that. Just because you don't have any force "powers" does not mean that you actually have the force. It is based on whether you are "force-sensitive", or can feel the force. The Jedi don't base it on what "set" of powers you can currently use.

As for the council, I don't really remember any spot where they tell you you aren't a Jedi anymore, although I may just not remember a specific spot. If the council actually did say that, look at it this way. If a Mandalorian was exiled from a clan, or just left like Jolee, is he still a Mandalorian? Yes, he is. In fact, many of these mercs and bounty hunters are still called "Mandalorians", and even though they aren't in their clan, it doesn't mean that they lost their title of Mandalorian. Maybe technically it was removed, but they are still a Mandalorian in training and mind.

If you remember Sion, he tells Kreia that "they [the Jedi] are all dead, save one." As far as I know, he was talking about the PC, wasn't he?
 JediKnight707
12-29-2005, 8:25 PM
He's a Jedi 'cause I say so :)
 RobQel-Droma
12-29-2005, 9:20 PM
Jedi_Knight_707, I couldn't have said it any better! :xp: You must have been inspired or something- that pretty much wins it. :D
 JediMaster12
01-19-2006, 3:56 PM
Yeah, it's sweet and straight to the point. Maybe for icing we should ask Lucas what makes a Jedi.:)
 Rok_stoned
01-30-2006, 8:42 PM
Now what about sjieva?
And i'll have to tell you that i rarely pay attention on school

:) Awesome comeback. Who really does pay attention in school.

Anyways I'm Afraid I don't know what "Sjieva" (you just may have trumped me...) I can't find it in an search engine unless its how you spell sheva.
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 12:31 AM
The exile is, all the way through STL, in my opinion, like Jolee Bindo, he's a "neutral" not between the dark side and the light side, but between the institutions of the Jedi and the Sith.

I don't get it, is there a "KOTOR: Sith The Lords"? :lol: As for your other assertion, I disagree, since the Exile was whatever character you wanted him to be, you were him.

KoToR 1: is Jolee Bindo a Jedi? he uses the force, wields a lightsaber, but never rose above the rank of padawan.

Doesn't matter. He is still a Jedi.

what you need to remember is that Jedi does not equal "force user that uses powers for good" but "force user that has been trained and accepted by the Jedi Council"

What you need to remember is that we do not have a definition of Jedi. :) The Jedi Council might consider this to be true, but in a realistic sense, a Jedi is basically someone who uses his powers for good. So couldn't you turn that around and say that someone who uses his powers for good is a Jedi?
 Darth Smaug
01-31-2006, 10:58 AM
:) Awesome comeback. Who really does pay attention in school.

Anyways I'm Afraid I don't know what "Sjieva" (you just may have trumped me...) I can't find it in an search engine unless its how you spell sheva.

I don't know how to spell it, it's some god with several arms.
 JediMaster12
01-31-2006, 1:30 PM
Are you referring to the Hindu god Shiva? It is pronounced "shiva" with a very soft "h". There are actually three Hindu gods that are of importance are Brahma (creator0, Vishnu (preserver) and Shiva (destroyer). All of the Hindu gods have many arms; some sort of philosophy behind it. If I remember correctly, the whole idea of the Force and the Jedi was taken from various religions but all constituting towards the Jedi as we see them in the films and EU. It was in a documentary something like that.
As for being a Jedi, the Exile was called one by the Sith. Exiles and Grey Jedi are distinguished by the Jedi but to the Sith, they are not. They lump them all together as Jedi.
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 1:50 PM
^They do lump them together, but - Doesn't that mean that they are all basically Jedi in one way or another? :)
 JediMaster12
02-01-2006, 12:01 PM
You have a point there. In fact Jolee himself said that he follows the Jedi way and commands the Force but he said the Jedi left him. On the other hand you got Kreia telling the Exile "Your stance, your walk tells me you are a Jedi." So what does it really boil down to, being part of the Order makes you a Jedi and exiled means you are not? Even Atton referred to the Exile as a Jedi no matter how many times you select the option stating that you are not. So what makes a one a Jedi and what makes one not a Jedi?
 Steve-O Kreesh
02-03-2006, 8:00 PM
IMO, the exile was a Jedi. A Exiled Jedi. He swore an oath to the Jedi order and followed the code as best he could. Yes, he disobeyed the council by going to fight the Mandalorians, but he left to protect the helpless and the innocent. Isn't that what a Jedi is supposed to do? He returned to face judgement from the council and was exiled. Did he cease to act like a Jedi? No. As a Jedi, you sware to the Order, not to a "Council". The council is just the governing body within the Order, not the Order itself. The Exile was and always be a Jedi in my eyes.
 JediMaster12
02-03-2006, 8:09 PM
I see. I also thought it was very crummy how they summoned the Exile and told him that he was exiled. No listening to evidence nothing. You are right in that he followed the Jedi way even Jolee himself said he followed the Jedi way but he also said he was no Jedi and that the Jedi left him.
 Spartanghost220
02-03-2006, 8:44 PM
what if you could feel the force does that make you a jedi or do you have to train to be a jedi it depneds on the def. of a jedi
 Master Kavar
02-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I've thought about this very question, and the answer I came to is that no matter what alignment the Exile decides to take, he/she still begins as a Jedi. Like Bao-Dur says, being a Jedi is something you can't really choose, it's part of who you are.

You may no longer be part of the Jedi Order, but you don't simply stop being a Jedi, no more so than Jolee or Kreia. Even Kreia says as much to a dark side Exile, that even though you are willing to break your ties to the order, you are still fundamentally the Jedi you once were.
 JediMaster12
02-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Yes and she says when she first meet the exile, "Your stance, your walk tells me you are a Jedi." I guess that once a Jedi always a Jedi; once you are opened to the great mysteries, you are always open.
 BobaFettFan
04-24-2006, 7:38 PM
Yes and she says when she first meet the exile, "Your stance, your walk tells me you are a Jedi." I guess that once a Jedi always a Jedi; once you are opened to the great mysteries, you are always open.

Funny, I was going to use the same sort of thinking to say that he wasn't a Jedi; he just doesn't act like one. To me, Jedi are the guys who go around righting wrongs with their lightsabers, lifting shiznit up with the Force, and using mind tricks to get security to let them pass. The exile does none of these things at the start.
 JediMaster12
04-24-2006, 8:21 PM
The Jedi use their powers to benefit others; they are selfless. The Exile, if you go the LS, is the same way. The Exile knew of the great mysteries and could chose to walk that same path if he chose to. It all came down to choice.
Page: 2 of 2