Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Difficulty and A.I levels

Page: 1 of 1
 starmark2k
11-29-2005, 7:51 AM
Somthing i've found that can seriouslt let a game down is AI and difficulty of the game. Most games tend to have at least 3 difficulty level often easy, Normal and hard (Padawan, Jedi and Master in some star wars games.) But all to often the differance between the levels never seems enougth. What do you think should change between Difficulties (More expensive tech, Stronger enemies, etc.). And How should the game differ between each difficulty level.
 shadowsfm
11-29-2005, 8:43 AM
force comander didnt have a difficulty option in sckrimage
 darthfergie
11-29-2005, 9:42 AM
difficulty level should be advances in AI tactics, etc and not the amount of resources an AI gets to start off or quicken the build cycle (aka - GB). If all the AI is designed to do is a simple tactic of "build small forces to harass the player regularly, then when attacked, mass build" no matter what difficulty then you just have to feel cheated.
I'd like it if AI responded to the situation, guarded strong points more effectively, set up more ambushes, attacked more agressively, used terrain to more of an advantage, able to respond to the RTS age old "build a big army and smash" etc as the difficulty increased.
 Athanasios
11-29-2005, 10:03 AM
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=154592)

Message from Popcorn2008: When posting links please specify what they are for, and dont just limit your reply to a link. Thank You.
 Jeff
11-29-2005, 10:27 AM
I think the only thing that should change with the difficulty is the difficulty of the AI. I don't think it should be harder to research, etc for your team but the time to research and other timed things should be shorter for the AI. The AI should also be better at tactics and more difficult to defeat.
 Darth_Extas
11-29-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree with Moeller on this one because I have found on most RTS games is that only the AIs had a harder difficulty basically stronger tactics with a mix of both offensive/defensive positions, planning to favor the AI/CPU. Something else to keep in mind would be the amount of reinforcements you can call up at one time could change between the difficulties. As with other RTS games I know there might end up being at least 3-6 difficulty levels(easiest, easy, moderate, hard, very hard)
 Adama
12-20-2005, 5:04 PM
Yeah without the changable difficulty level they isn't really a challenge. If the AI is smart enough in the Galactic Conquest or story mode to stop you doing a blitzkreig and taking alot of planet early on then it makes the game a whole lot more interesting than if you can do the same tactic over and over again ever time you play. There just no fun in that.
Page: 1 of 1