Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

EaW release day. what will you do?

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
11-24-2005, 2:28 PM
Theres just over 10 weeks to go until its released (for most) and I was wondering, when you get the game...what will be the first thing you do?

For me, I will probably go straight into skirmish mode and see what units do what. If I dont get a press copy early, I will then have to take screens to update the site! hehe

DMUK
 Jeff
11-24-2005, 2:36 PM
I'll probably try skirmish mode as well to get the hang of playing and what all the units can do. But I'll probably be playing it all day when I do get it, so I'll be doing much more than that. But that is the first thing I will probably try.
 popcorn2008
11-24-2005, 2:38 PM
Whenever I get a new game I love reading the manual. If there any good that is.... I just like getting hyped up about it before playing it. I usually will read the manual as the game installs, then I go straight into an Imperial campaign! Cant' Wait!
 Logain
11-24-2005, 3:09 PM
i've already been challenged by a mate to a campaign, i'm not allowed to play it at all till i play against him, since i always beat the crap out of him in RTS's, he doesnt want me having the advantage of knowing the units more than him
 SirLancelot
11-24-2005, 5:53 PM
I always read the manual in RTS games, if for nothing else, to learn how to maneuver my forces. What formations are available, and to just get the full enjoyment out of the game.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-24-2005, 6:00 PM
I always read the manual of any game I get before I play. I'll probably read it while my games installing.
 Garbageben
11-24-2005, 8:54 PM
I always read the manual first. Then I'll probably go into skirmish mode and get the hang of tactics and general unit strengths. I'll probably do the same thing with the demo if it has a skirmish mode.
 BattleDamage
11-24-2005, 10:27 PM
i'll probably go into rebel campaign mode first, but then i'll get frustrated and play skirmish mode to get the hang of it. I have a tendency to get in over my head when it comes to game like this.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-24-2005, 10:36 PM
After reading the manual, I will probably start a campaign for both Rebels and Empire and play Skirmish mode after. I probably won't play online till I get a hang of the game.
 Snafu7
11-24-2005, 11:32 PM
I'll go pick the game up, read the manual during the car ride back to my house(or while the game's installing), and after that I'll probably start up Campaign mode as the Empire.
 -=Nuke=-
11-25-2005, 7:16 AM
I think fist when i get my Copy i will runn through the house and shout:"JIPPII JUHUUU JAAAA DANNKKEEEE GOTT!" and after 30 min of running around, and completed install, there will be only one way. I will throw a dice than play empire or Rebellion (the dice will decide for me ^^).
 Bob Lion54
11-25-2005, 8:37 AM
What about a "play the tutorial" option? Thats what I usually do if the game has one. I would be suprised if EaW didn't.

While the game is loading, I usually skim through the manual. When I think I have a good understanding of the basics (through the tutorial and the manual), its off to Campaign mode! (as the Rebels!)
 starmark2k
11-25-2005, 8:51 AM
What about a "play the tutorial" option? Thats what I usually do if the game has one. I would be suprised if EaW didn't.

While the game is loading, I usually skim through the manual. When I think I have a good understanding of the basics (through the tutorial and the manual), its off to Campaign mode! (as the Rebels!)

I'd do the same, as installation normally takes the same amount of time as it does to read a manual you get in those DVD cases (as half of its are credits)

If theres a tutorial i'll play that (unless i play a tutorial on a demo then i may leave it). Then i'll play Empire campaigne.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-25-2005, 6:08 PM
Read manual, then jump in the seat of a Rebel General trying to free the galaxy from the Evil Empire.
 Emperor Devon
11-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Campaign mod Empire, of course! If the controls are too unfamiliar (I don't know if that's even possible with an RTS) I'll read the manual.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-26-2005, 1:37 AM
Well, if there's a tutorial, I will probably try that out.
 drunkill
11-26-2005, 8:51 AM
Like all westwood games i shall read the manual, and watch the awesome installation graphics (i hope there is for EaW) but seeming Petroglyph is not westwood, but ex-westwood staff with new people... i shall do the same :o play the game sp then go straight to mp after a few missions.
 Jmaster3265
11-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Hmm, I will probably play skirmish first, but read the manual while it is downloading...
 StealthWar42
11-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Popcorn, I couldn't have said it any better myself. I love that build-up of hype!
 Dagobahn Eagle
11-26-2005, 3:10 PM
Why's "read the manual" an option? It sounds a bit like "install the game", no offense. "Everyone" reads the manual (except from those arrgoant "OMG Manualz r for teh chikenz!!1111" people who just jump into an MP game with no idea what to do and irritate everyone:rolleyes:)

Oftentimes, the first thing I do (after the manual;)) is jump into the scenario editor and mess with it. Then it's the tutorial and single-player for me. Once I get the hang of the game, I join an MP server or start one myself.
 popcorn2008
11-26-2005, 4:51 PM
Why's "read the manual" an option? It sounds a bit like "install the game", no offense. "Everyone" reads the manual (except from those arrgoant "OMG Manualz r for teh chikenz!!1111" people who just jump into an MP game with no idea what to do and irritate everyone:rolleyes:
Well some games I dont see a need to read the manual. Such as KOTOR 2, i didnt read the manual because I already played KOTOR 1 and knew the layout. But of course I installed the game. They are entirely different tasks in my opinion.
 Foshjedi2004
11-26-2005, 5:25 PM
Hmmm. A Press Copy eh?? Maybe Us Nexus Guys will get one in January to advance our Mods. He-he-he :P
 Juggernaut1985
11-26-2005, 7:36 PM
I read the strategy guide before the manual which is what I'll do here. Then beat SP and print out the XML files and the Lua scripts and learn.
 darthfergie
11-26-2005, 10:26 PM
read the manual?
crazy!
I never read the manual unless I can't play the game. I usually plunge into the game, see if I can pick it up, if I can't and I'm totally overwhelmed (like EU or NWN) I'll go back and read the manuals.

So I'll probably just dive into the first campaign, probably being the Rebel tutorial or something.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I read the manual because it want to see what weapons the units have and I also like to read the description of the units.
 El Sitherino
11-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Binge, all week I shall play to my hearts content and beyond.
 Admiral Sith
11-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Fortunately, the game will also have both tutorials and a "preamble game" to get new players familiar with strategic decisions, good or bad. From there, with shrewd planning, you may be able to do things like bring the state-of-the-art X-Wing fighter into battle much earlier than it was originally available in the Star Wars universe. You may even decisively crush the Rebellion (or the Empire) before that whole "I am your father" business even happened

Tutorial, yes. I will read the manual, then play a skirmish game as the Rebels to see what the I am up against. Later after a few days or playing and getting good at it ill play the Tutorials to see if there is anything i missed.
 Jan Gaarni
11-27-2005, 3:35 AM
I won't read the manual per say, but I will skim thru it while the game is installing, mostly looking at the units page. I'll look into the manual from time to time the first couple of days of playing, sometimes for no reason, other times when I am wondering about something. :)
 Jmaster3265
11-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Oh i forgot to add, that i will look for cheats if there are any while it is installing....
 popcorn2008
11-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Oh i forgot to add, that i will look for cheats if there are any while it is installing....
For RTS games I never look at cheats because it takes away the expierence for me personally. Im sure there will be cheats, because on the cover of the strategy guide it says cheats on it. Also if there are no cheats you can always program the XML to make things cheaper and that kind of cheating.
 JediKnight707
11-28-2005, 8:08 PM
The first thing I'm going to do is install it :D Then play as the Rebels
 darthfergie
11-28-2005, 10:25 PM
For RTS games I never look at cheats because it takes away the expierence for me personally. Im sure there will be cheats, because on the cover of the strategy guide it says cheats on it. Also if there are no cheats you can always program the XML to make things cheaper and that kind of cheating.

I think cheats, while a nice novelty, shouldn't be used much if ever. They do take away from the game.
But I know I'm not alone in saying that I absolutely loved using a dodge viper that shot rockets at villagers in Age of Empires, or a robot warrior, etc. :D
 Jeff
11-28-2005, 10:39 PM
I concur. When I was younger I would use cheats all the time because I sucked at gaming, but I think now I don't need to use them to win, so I will only use them after I get good at the game, just for fun and not very often. And I definitely won't use them before I beat the game.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-28-2005, 10:43 PM
I think cheats are fun when they bring in something more to the game. Like fergie's cobra car for example.
If it's simply a god mode or unlimited ammo, it's just boring.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-28-2005, 11:20 PM
I, also, would use cheats win I was younger win I wasn't as good as gamer as I am know. But, know I don't use cheats anymore. I probably won't use cheats for EaW.
 Darth Alec
11-29-2005, 2:23 AM
I'll use cheats as much as possible, after I conquer the galaksy for the fourfed (SP?) time.
 Foshjedi2004
11-29-2005, 5:56 PM
I will open up the XML files and Add in some of the Legacy of War Units. :p
 Darth_Extas
11-30-2005, 7:20 PM
I'm not likely to use cheats, But I would like to get to know how exactly the game works by getting into it immediatly. If I find the cheats, I'll only document them for other use, such as my website(It has a cheats section, Upcomming games ect.) I can just allow a better use of my time. I would only use cheats, if I am SOOO despreat that I would need them(e.g. I'm on my last planet like Infinite:1 posibility of winning) this will only be applied after I have already beaten the game.
Page: 1 of 1