Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Best sci-fi That Had Been Canceled

Page: 1 of 1
 starmark2k
11-17-2005, 7:53 AM
Science fiction has on tv has a tendancy to canceled by network and often rightly so but occasionally good ones get cancelled aswell. These occasionally get revived so which of the following did you like.

Star Trek- Perhaps the most famous show to ever be cancelled and then be revived by 5 movies and a Spin-off. cancelled in its 3rd series

Futurama- A sci-fi comedy by the creator of the Simpsons, Due to its time slot it didn't get the right audiances and was counceled after it's 4th series. Due to DVD sales and various online petitions a DVD movie is currently n its planning stages.

Firefly- From the creator of Buffy came this sci-fi western canceled after 15 episode this show quickly got a cult following which led to the movie serenity.
 darthfergie
11-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Futurama by far. *nods* Kinda stands out in the category though, considering it never took itself seriously and all the rest were pretty serious.

'sides. I can think of happier sci-fi shows that were canceled that I loved. Dr. Who for one. :) Then again I'm pretty sure that show more than ran its course...and really so did Star Trek.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-17-2005, 1:57 PM
Futurama. Since I never watched any of the other shows listed. Also, it was a comedy-type show. Which I personally like.
 StarWarsPhreak
11-17-2005, 2:28 PM
While not the best, I'd have to say

Andromeda!
http://home.comcast.net/~swphreak.atreides/images/AndromedaSig1.jpg)

While I don't know if it's actually cancelled or not, I get the feeling it is from the last episode...

The Best Sci-Fi ever that got cancelled is Dark Angel.
 Darth Moeller
11-18-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm going to have to say Star Trek just because that's the only one of those I really watch. I have heard great things about firefly but never got to see any episodes. I have seen futurama a few times but I never really got interested in it. When I was younger though I used to watch Star Trek all the time, but I rarely watch it anymore, since they're all reruns anyways.
 Hallucination
11-20-2005, 3:19 PM
Star Trek. It was fun, and I loved the 'Trouble with Tribbles' show.
 Bob Lion54
11-20-2005, 3:41 PM
I would have to go with Star Trek. Although I much prefer The Next Generation over the original series; the original was great. If you look at all the cancelled series, none have become as influential as Star Trek.

Lets hope the upcomming Star Wars series is good!

While I wouldn't call either of them the best Sci-Fi, there are two shows I want to mention. The Sentinal and 7 Days. I loved both shows when they aired on UPN after ST:Voyager. Neither lasted longer than a few seasons, though.

Just FYI, if you used to like either show but haven't seen them in a while:
Sci-Fi channel plays reruns of The Sentinal, but I'm not sure when.
SpikeTV plays 7 Days weekdays at 9:00am central time.
 Vladimir-Vlada
11-28-2005, 6:28 AM
Star Trek. It grew up to be such a great thing and they just had to cancel it... And all because of 'Charmed'.

*Tries to calm himself down not to go on a rampage and kill the people who worked on 'Charmed'...*

Star Trek shouldn't have been cancelled. It was so great.
 Clefo
11-29-2005, 3:18 PM
Mystery Science Theater 3000, fo sheezy
 90SK
11-29-2005, 3:30 PM
I'd say Futurama, but I've heard from plenty of people that Firefly was very awesome.
 THrawn((9
12-11-2005, 9:24 AM
i said other cause i like the Babylon 5 Series's
 DarthMaulUK
12-11-2005, 9:55 AM
Having worked on Futurama the game, I found it boring and erm...more boring. Mostly as I cant stand platform games. Didnt think much of the show either.

As for Star Trek.. 'to boldy bore like no show has bored before'. Anyone can make a TV show about how fast they can press buttons in a starship.

DMUK
 Darth Alec
12-11-2005, 10:44 AM
As for Star Trek.. 'to boldy bore like no show has bored before'. Anyone can make a TV show about how fast they can press buttons in a starship.

DMUK

Yes, but can you make it so that millions of people watch it?
 DarthMaulUK
12-11-2005, 11:40 AM
*watched it. remember both have been canned as no one watches them.

DMUK
 Juggernaut1985
12-11-2005, 1:33 PM
Futurama becuase it was a very not-serious show.
 StealthWar42
12-11-2005, 4:08 PM
Firefly... perfect balance of technology AND human skill, as opposed to relying on too much of one or the other. Great story, and awesome characters.
 THrawn((9
12-12-2005, 3:34 PM
never say Firefly but i still say Babylon 5 and i know that its a dead program but it was good.
 Adama
12-19-2005, 2:03 PM
The greatest sci-fi ever written, apart from star wars course was Battlestar Galactica. No questions asked. And then the muppets at Fox go and cancel it. The new one is a farse, bring back classic Galactica!!!

Futurama and Firefly were also very good programmes.
 warhawk121
12-19-2005, 8:25 PM
i voted other as like thrawn B5 was an awesome show that had promise with its spin off series crusade. cancelled after 13 episodes.

i think the reason babylon 5 held its spark for me was that it wasnt too high tech and had a distinct start, middle, and end to the story. where most of the start trek franchise seemed to be planet of the week episodes and any sense of plot seemed thrown in as an after thought. but thats just my opinion..:)
 RedHawke
12-22-2005, 5:03 AM
^^^^
I'll have to side with the other B5 fans, Crusade would have shined through had it been given the chance.

i think the reason babylon 5 held its spark for me was that it wasnt too high tech and had a distinct start, middle, and end to the story. where most of the start trek franchise seemed to be planet of the week episodes and any sense of plot seemed thrown in as an after thought. but thats just my opinion..:)
You aren't alone in this opinion. ;)
 Bob Lion54
12-22-2005, 9:12 AM
^^^^
Crusade would have shined through had it been given the chance.
I totally agree. I loved Crusade. I wish they would have at least finished the season.....

But does B5 really count? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't JMS write the first four seasons at once (or at least had a strong outline). To me, season five was not that great.
 The Doctor
12-29-2005, 12:41 AM
I'd say Star Trek (I assume you mean the OS?).
It did have some bad episodes, yes, but it also had some great ones. City on the Edge of Forever, Let This Be Your Last Battlefield, Amok Time.... and who can forget Trouble with Tribbles? Jurassic Trek is the Sci-Fi show.
 Darth_Terros
01-19-2006, 2:41 PM
 RedHawke
01-20-2006, 1:47 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't JMS write the first four seasons at once (or at least had a strong outline). To me, season five was not that great.
Nope, he wrote each season in order the year they were made, though I am sure he had an outline or flow chart somewhere. ;)

Season 5 was simply wrapping up the story elements, it was basically about the Telepaths, the Drakh, and Londo. I agree it has some parts that are lacking, but it is the final chapter. It also was leading in to the Crusade timeline.

Oh well...

There was also a cheesy but cool show called Space Rangers that was cancelled after like 4 episodes or something... but that is another story.
 ChAiNz.2da
01-20-2006, 6:47 AM
Being a cartoon nut, I had to vote Futurama.. though, in all honesty, not sure it would be classified as Sci-Fi in the "general sense"..

Bah.. who cares.. those that don't like it can "Bite my shiny metal ass" :xp: hehehe..

Also on the rumor mill.. because of the following Futurama has on Cartoon Network, there's talks about bringing the series back (Fox Network).. I for one would welcome this if they get the original VO actors back on contract :emodanc: (still in rumor phase however)...
 Darth_Terros
01-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Also on the rumor mill.. because of the following Futurama has on Cartoon Network, there's talks about bringing the series back (Fox Network).. I for one would welcome this if they get the original VO actors back on contract :emodanc: (still in rumor phase however)...

^^Yep i posted a link above ^^

I really cant wait for this futurama was one of the best shows on tv!
 ChAiNz.2da
01-22-2006, 8:42 AM
^^Yep i posted a link above ^^

I really cant wait for this futurama was one of the best shows on tv!Ya' know.. I totally missed that link! :headbump

I feel like a big dumb-arse.. hehehe

Thanks Darth_Terros, good to see the "rumor" in print :thumbsup:
 Scarlet
01-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Out of your list, I'd have to say Futurama ... But to be honest, Farscape should be up there too! That's easily the best cancelled Sci-Fi!
 Samuel Dravis
01-22-2006, 3:35 PM
I liked Futurama. It had some funny parts.. I never watched Firefly, but the movie was great and I'm pretty sure the show was good too.

While Star Trek is ok, it's not the best show.
No. 5 Reason to Hate Star Trek: Rule by committee.

Here's the difference between Star Trek and the best SF show on TV last year:

Star Trek:

Picard: "Arm photon torpedoes!"
Riker: "Captain! Are you sure that's wise?"
Troi: "Captain! I'm picking up conflicting feelings about this! And, it appears that you're a 'fraidy cat."
Wesley: "Captain, I'm just an annoying punk, but I thought I should say something."
Worf: "Captain, can I push the button? This is giving me a big Klingon warrior chubby."
Giordi: "Captain, I think we should reverse the polarity on them first."
Picard: "I'm so confused. I'm going to go to my stateroom and look
pensive."

Firefly:

Captain: "Let's shoot them."
Crewman: "Are you sure that's wise?"
Captain: "Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I'll BEAT YOU WITH until you realize who's in command."
Crewman: "Aye Aye, sir!" LOL! :D
 splintercell56
01-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Though it isn’t on the list I do believe it was one of the better Science Fiction shows to get canceled... Seaquest.
 Den of Earth
01-24-2006, 1:56 PM
I think it's very sad that ALL SF shows get cancelled. Futurama I miss the most, as it was far more witty than any other comedy out there, and very well drawn.

Original Star Trek was classic. Where would we be if Bill Gates was not a trekkie that wanted to see computers as pervasive as in ST. Amazing how much of today's tech was inspired by that cheesy but fun old show.

Babylon5 was great, loved the continuing story even if the acting was a little weak. They blew things up good too. At least they were allowed to finish the whole story. Too bad about Crusade.

I'm sure not many will agree, but I thought Enterprise was very well done. Much more interesting and fun than all Treks since the original.

Maybe we will see a Star Wars TV show if Lucas is not doing the last 3 movies? Time will tell...
 starmark2k
01-24-2006, 2:35 PM
Amazing how much of today's tech was inspired by that cheesy but fun old show.

I'm sure not many will agree, but I thought Enterprise was very well done. Much more interesting and fun than all Treks since the original.

Maybe we will see a Star Wars TV show if Lucas is not doing the last 3 movies? Time will tell...

Yeah did you hear that the U.S military are making TNG communicators.

I like series 3 + 4 of enterprise but unfortunetly the first 2 did not reach high enougth standards so it lost alot of it's key audiance.

and GL is making 2 tv shows one which is going to be a C.G.I Animation (i beleive it's based around the clone wars) and a live action series based in the Revenge of the sith/A New Hope gap. This info is pretty old and dates around a month post the ROTS release.
 Kryllith
01-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Firefly, definitely Firefly. I wouldn't really stick Futurama in this batch, given that it's a cartoon and not really a sci-fi show the way the others in the list are. Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, one of the other Trek shows, etc would have been a better option. That said, I like Futurama second best of the given options.

Kryllith
 The Doctor
01-28-2006, 3:44 PM
You know what I just realized? Nobody mentioned Quantum Leap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap). Blasphemous fools.
 Q-Osiris
01-28-2006, 3:49 PM
Easy one, Futurama. Bender is one badass mofo, I wonder how hard he would've knocked the crap out of Darth Vader...only Yoda knows.
 Hallucination
01-28-2006, 3:56 PM
^I've never even heard of QL until now.
 The Doctor
01-28-2006, 3:58 PM
^Then you are a deprived child. It's one of the most amazing shows evar! It used to be on Space, but nooooo, they had to replace it with Buffy. Pfft. She's nothing compared to Doctor Samuel Bekket!
 Apocalypse|TFL
01-28-2006, 9:00 PM
You know what I just realized? Nobody mentioned Quantum Leap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap). Blasphemous fools.

Quote for the truth. Quantum Leap just owned.

There was another sci-fi show that was cancelled early but for the love of my life, I can't remember it's name. That was pretty cool. *goes off to find out what it was called*

[edit] Space: Above and beyond!!!!
 Dath Maximus
01-31-2006, 10:21 AM
*puts on his vulcan ears*

need i say more
 Astrotoy7
02-01-2006, 8:21 AM
Star Trek. It grew up to be such a great thing and they just had to cancel it... And all because of 'Charmed'.

*Tries to calm himself down not to go on a rampage and kill the people who worked on 'Charmed'...*

Star Trek shouldn't have been cancelled. It was so great.

what? What does 1965 Original Trek have to do with late 90s+ Charmed ??

Apart from Enterprise, the other 3 ST series made their full 7 year terms before they voluntarily ceased production.

And if you were referring to Enterprise, It was lucky it made it that far.... They should've gone with the Excelsior series damnit :p

mtfbwya
 The Doctor
02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Enterprise sucked. It was ok in the beginning, and the Xindi season kept it alive for a while, but then it collapsed. Ironically though, the last four episodes generated higher ratings than any other episode in the series... especially "In a Mirror, Darkly".
 logan essex
06-11-2006, 1:32 PM
Definetly FIREFLY
I think they didn't have enough time to be discovered by a large fan base. there is a lot of other entertainment venues to compete with these days. DVDs should be released right after a season ends to grow fanbases.

when enterprise came out, my cable didn't carry UPN, so I only saw a couple of episodes my sister had sent to me on tape. then I didn't have cable when they got UPN, too busy with other stuff.
then I got on netflix and watched all the episodes. I think it was best trek spinoff. when it was coming to an end, they were allowed more freedom in plot writing and that is what made the last episodes so great. They were finally allowed to come into their own.

another series I really liked was VR5. Cancelled before the story was finished(mabye it was just a matrix created fantasy)
 wedge2211
06-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I liked Enterprise! Finally, we had a Star Trek where they weren't bound by the Prime Directive and could bend the rules of ethics a little. This allowed them to explore some ethical issues we never encountered in other Star Trek series (I don't think we've ever seen even Kirk throw a prisoner in an airlock and start bleeding off the atmosphere). That's one of the things that made Firefly or the new Battlestar Galactica so appealing--none of the black-and-white adhering to morals that permeated Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Now, Firefly was a great show that was a ton of fun to watch, but I don't for a minute think that it's destined for greatness. What makes that show shine are two things: the completeness of the universe ('scuse me, I mean, 'Verse) it takes place in and the dialogue between the characters. The plotlines themselves, while they hold up well as capers within the span of a single episode, are really hackneyed and cliched when it comes to the multi-episode arcs. And the characters, individually, separated from all their hilarious dialogue, are all stock characters, and none of them undergoes any character development over the course of the entire series. All of them could be summed up by a single phrase, they act exactly according to how a character with such a summary should act, and we've seen all those characters in other books, movies, and TV shows many times before. Firefly brings this weird mix of extreme imaginitivity and extreme unimaginitivity to the airwaves, which is why it'll always remain a cult thing.

Futurama doesn't fit with the others. It doesn't count.

So, uh...I dunno. I guess I'm not voting. But I threw my two cents out there anyways!
Page: 1 of 1