Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Most touching moment in Grim Fandango

Page: 1 of 2
 Kald0rei
11-12-2005, 9:57 AM
Ok, so somebody probably has done this same topic before but i'll still do it anyways. Grim Fandango was a phenomenal game, and as phenomenal games go, there are always memories and moments that forever stay with us emotionally.
One instance that got me Very emotional was when you examine the picture clue that Lola left in the game and this sad, sentiment song plays in the background. It reminded me of many things and there's just this thing with the photo that really strikes me. The photo is in black and white, and in it people were happy and cheering whilst the music in the background was dark and sadly gripping.
Now, here's my problem. I LOVE that soundtrack and have been looking around the net for it to no avail. I give up.
I was wondering if any of you might help me out by finding me the track or at least giving me the title of the track.

Thank you. Viva La Sanspoof.
 VampireNaomi
11-12-2005, 12:03 PM
The moment that probably touched me the most was how Manny cut through the flowers to discover Salvador's body. It was very short, but somehow tragic.

By the way, I'm moving this thread to Land of the Dead. :)
 Grim_comician
11-12-2005, 12:29 PM
The most touching for me is the story about Sanspoof. Manny sounds perfect in this sad story.
 Yohein
11-12-2005, 2:11 PM
SPOILER

I remember that Lola's death shocked me. I wasn't expecting it. I think that's a great, great scene.
 Fuzzy Penguin
11-12-2005, 10:05 PM
SPOILER

I remember that Lola's death shocked me. I wasn't expecting it. I think that's a great, great scene.

Yeh, I agree. Tht was a very tragic scene.
 Kald0rei
11-13-2005, 3:07 AM
deleted.
 El Virus
11-13-2005, 8:09 AM
By the time you finish watching Manny's departure to the Ninth Underworld, and then the three Mariachis are shown by the fountain/ashtray portrayed at the very beginning. Then the credits come along with great songs like "Manny & Meche", and it was then when I realised that I had completed an excellent game and story, one which influenced who and what I was going to be, and I'll never get the chance to enjoy as much.
This is pretty much what touched me the most, the credits are not a "Scene" like the ones mentioned earlier, but they are a moment and I believe they should count as well...
 Shuz
11-14-2005, 5:58 AM
For me it was near the end where that guy you meet under the sea (can't believe I forgot) walks through the portal to the Ninth Underworld. It was so sweet and sad to see him innocently sing his song and soldier on into portal, never to be seen again. It reminded me of how far Manny has gone and how soon his (and my) journey will end. It's hard to explain but it's the moment that really touched me.
 Yohein
11-14-2005, 8:47 AM
For me it was near the end where that guy you meet under the sea (can't believe I forgot) walks through the portal to the Ninth Underworld. It was so sweet and sad to see him innocently sing his song and soldier on into portal, never to be seen again. It reminded me of how far Manny has gone and how soon his (and my) journey will end. It's hard to explain but it's the moment that really touched me.

Agree!
I don't know how to explain neither, but for me it was like if the game was finishing in that moment and that was a general goodbye or something like that.
 TyraaRane
11-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Chepito, I think his name was?

Anyway, yes--I didn't see that scene until the second time I played the game, but it really hit a chord with me when I did see it...there's something strangely and starkly beautiful about the way it was done. I love that scene.

Lola's death was another one for me...it actually made me cry. And then there's the bit in Year Three where you see that Manny renamed the SS Limo to the SS Lola--that was another touching moment for me. (It also nearly made me cry. Again.)
 Grim_comician
11-14-2005, 1:55 PM
About Chepito, I think it was one of the main points that made Grim Fandango so great. Like a charming movie. :)
 Kald0rei
11-15-2005, 1:20 AM
AAaah yes.. t'was bittersweet.. "This lil light of mine... I'm gonna let it shine, Let it SHiNE, let it shine, let it shine...." **tears**
 Rubacava
11-15-2005, 3:26 AM
The moment with Manny cutting the flowers, yes. Also the end of the game. Throughout the entire ending cutscene of the game I was near tears, not only because it was touching, but because it was hitting me that "it's over..." :(
 Guybrush17
11-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Yeah I'd have to say for me the most touching scene was when Manny was cutting the flowers near Salvador's body with his scythe. Just the way it was done and the music playing, it was awesome. And the Chepito thing as well, because at that point you really realize you're approaching the end of something great, which is always sad.
 Grim_comician
11-15-2005, 2:04 PM
I could sense my spirit raising when I hear this slow slashing sound of a scythe cutting the flowers.
 Mr Cheese
11-15-2005, 6:26 PM
soundtracks.mixnmojo.com (in reply to "where can i get the music?")
 JofaGuht
11-16-2005, 1:56 AM
For some reason I really like Manny punching Nick. It's touching in the way of "thank god Manny punched that guy".

It's also a moment that punctuates the conflicts in year two being resolved. I guess that's why it feels that way.

Another addition to the music question:

That exact theme was originally used in Full Throttle during Malcolm Corley's funeral. It was a little homage to Schafer's (and McConnell's) previous game.
 Shuz
11-17-2005, 7:55 AM
Ah yes, Chepito that's his name. So glad that you all felt the same way.
 Yohein
11-17-2005, 8:05 AM
I'm replaying the game and I have just arrived to the part where Chepito goes to the Ninth Underworld. I still think that's a great scene, but after watching it again, I think it could be even better... Chepito's song's end was so... abrupt. I mean, why they didn't keep that echoing voice a bit more? it would have been great that Chepito's role in the game would have ended with that echoing "let it shine, let it shine, let it shine" :lol:

A great scene, anyway :lol:
 floundericious
11-21-2005, 10:55 AM
OOoooooOOOOOooooo...ooOOOOooOOOOO....mmmmMMMMEEEEC HEEEEEE
 Grim_comician
11-21-2005, 2:09 PM
I just remembered one thing: In year 4, the calm music when you're at the car outside the flowerhouse, where you can see Salvador's skull.
 Stu_the_Monkey
11-21-2005, 3:16 PM
The first time i played it, I almost cried at the final cutscene where Manny & Meche are saying goodbye to Glottis, and they hug.. *sniff* poor old Glottis, all on his own.
 F2bnp
12-12-2005, 11:32 AM
I was shocked when Lola died.I think it's one of it's best scenes.
 Abbath
12-24-2005, 10:11 PM
The moment at the end of the game when Manny cut the flowers and discoverd Salvador's body ...... very touching
 The Frogman
12-28-2005, 5:00 PM
I always thought of that scene as sort of dramatic... How Manny slices away at the flowers in slow motion with the severed flowers flying into the air, all with some soft music.

Just my opinion.
 SteveBB
12-29-2005, 1:14 PM
The most touching moment for me is where Manny has to say goodbye to Glottis. It gets to me every time and of course the scene where Lola dies is very touching as well
 90SK
12-29-2005, 1:32 PM
The ending, and the part where Sal dies. I hate saying goodbye to great characters. :( Especially when you know you probably won't be seeing them again, ever. Though the emotion evoked only proves how truly excellent the game is.
 SteveBB
12-29-2005, 2:32 PM
For me the ending was pretty emotional too because I knew the game was over. Back to the real world instead of in the fun, great Grim Fandango world. That always gets me down because I never know what to do afterwards
 Shuz
12-30-2005, 8:21 AM
That always gets me down because I never know what to do afterwards

That is very true, I end up in a daze, my mind still off in the world of GF and I just wonder around without purpose. It's like waking up from an excellent dream.
 ivanbuto
12-30-2005, 10:50 AM
For me, it has to be where Manny parts ways with Glottis. The game gradually makes Glottis into an extremely endearing character. The parting of Manny and Glottis also kind of brought out the separation between the Land of the Dead and the Ninth Underworld, and the fact that there is no point of return. These two factors, combined with the whole end sequence, made this into a highly emotional moment for me.
 I say, I say
12-30-2005, 4:52 PM
The bit for me was the conversations with...err..Membrillo i think it is...the coroner. It sent chills down my spine and the music is so...deep in that scene. Another one is the end when Manny gets shot and the confrontation with Hector. The part where Sal dies is another and the fact that someone finally gets the better on Olivia. Of course the scythe part is another moment of deep sadness; to see the great leader's body broken in a field of flowers. Lola's death was another one; real sadness.
 TheCrimsonClown
12-30-2005, 7:10 PM
The most touching moment for me is where Manny has to say goodbye to Glottis. It gets to me every time and of course the scene where Lola dies is very touching as well

Agreed. Such a finely crafted ending.

Also, while the credits roll and the song Manny & Meche plays in the background. Gets me every time. :(
 VampireNaomi
12-31-2005, 4:14 AM
Also, while the credits roll and the song Manny & Meche plays in the background. Gets me every time. :(

Oh yes, that's true. There is nothing like it. :(
 Klia
01-01-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm agreeing with the skeleton crossing into the underworld. Chepito...no?

Also, the whole scene where Salvador Limones died. I just...that was the only part that made me cry. (Well tear up)

The first big moment though was when Manny created the Calavera club. I thought it was very cool to see him climb to the top through all of his side-careers but Domino was always convincing him that he would amount to nothing.
 Chris]#
02-17-2006, 9:55 AM
Where Chepito just walk off into the next world...made me think, "wow, that guy sure has guts"

Also when Olivia betrays you..i always thought she was reliable upto that point and i was just like "no you killed Salvador!" then Salvador sacrifices himself, which is sad...but he does away with Olivia at the same time!

The bit where manny uncovers Salvador's body is also very moving. Manny just keeps that same facial expression while he unearths him.

And of course, the end was very emotional. Because its a tear jerking scene and its the end of the best game ever.
 Flibbo
02-28-2006, 3:33 PM
3 moments alway got me.
The poem manny and Dockmaster Valasco read when you look at the moon, it has always sent a shiver down my spine.
The reaping of the flowers to uncover Salvador, one of my beloved characters.
Leaving Glottis. He had been such a true freind to Manny for 4 long years and they will never see each other again. It actually made my eyes well up when i last played it.
 Yohein
03-13-2006, 3:46 PM
Am I the only one who feels an incredible "calm" at the beggining of year 4? That place, the end of the world, with that music, that sound, that gate keeper with that profound voice... that's amazing.
 VampireNaomi
03-14-2006, 1:39 AM
My thoughts on the beginning of Year 4, during my first play-through, were "Aww, crap, what is this place? I want out of here, there is nothing exciting here and those little mechanic creatures bug the hell out of me! Hey, was that my second favourite character riding a train to Hell? Damn!"

So, I guess I didn't feel very calm. ;)
 Chris]#
03-15-2006, 1:25 PM
Am I the only one who feels an incredible "calm" at the beggining of year 4? That place, the end of the world, with that music, that sound, that gate keeper with that profound voice... that's amazing.
Yep!
 Yohein
03-15-2006, 3:36 PM
I didn't understand if that "Yep!" was a "Yeah, you're the only one who feels that" or "Yeah, you're right" :lol:
 Shuz
03-16-2006, 7:20 AM
Haha, but I understand what you mean.
 Tooner Fish
03-16-2006, 6:03 PM
Gosh there were so many moments and it's been a while since I played GF. I'll have to pull it out again and get back to you with an answer.

But I remember the best feeling for me was when I got to the end of the world and found out I had to go back and stop Hector. For me it was "Yes! The fun isn't over YET!" Probably becuase I was expecting it to be over when I got to the end of the world.

And it was cool to see the changes at locations as I went back.

That must have been at the start of year four. Did anyone else feel that way?
 pichonCalavera
03-18-2006, 10:54 PM
So many great moments and memories from this game.

The most touching moment would be in the end, where you see manny and meche kissing and that nostalgic music is playing in the background and you see the train dissapeering into the temple.

The Manny & Meche music at the credits it's another one where you feel a sour troat...

But the moment I most remember is when I was playing the demo that i got from "PC Magazine en Espaсol" back in 1999 and I saw those skeleton pigeons and your mission was to get eggs from them.... just brilliant and original. After completing the demo i needed to get this game immediately!!
 Fawfulfury777
03-19-2006, 7:34 PM
The most stirring moment was when Velasco set out to find the Lamancha in Puerto Zapato. I thought it was captivating how one man waited for so long, just to return to his true love, and how one man's bond with the sea would keep him from traveling to Ninth Heaven.

While other men in the Land of the dead stayed out of fear, Velasco stayed out of love, and would travel any distance just to return to the ocean he revered. THAT makes him a true hero.

Also, I'd like to give a nod to Membrillo's infamous quote, which managed to show that even in negativity, the human soul is inspired.

"We may have years
We may have hours
But sooner or later
We push up flowers"

Finally, I thought that Raoul was incredibly disheartening when he got locked in the cupboard. I actually felt sadder then, than when Lola Died (meh). He was such a figure of authority and power, only to be reduced to a groveling child at the onset of his primal fear. Poor Raoul...
 Tooner Fish
03-19-2006, 8:13 PM
He was such a figure of authority and power, only to be reduced to a groveling child at the onset of his primal fear. Poor Raoul...

"oh Raoul, I'm so very sorry." (Manny says something like that when he's locked in a vault, hehe)
 VampireNaomi
03-20-2006, 1:05 AM
Finally, I thought that Raoul was incredibly disheartening when he got locked in the cupboard. I actually felt sadder then, than when Lola Died (meh). He was such a figure of authority and power, only to be reduced to a groveling child at the onset of his primal fear. Poor Raoul...

:D You know, I think I'm going to like you. Great sense of humour and a brilliant avatar.
 DeadYorick
04-07-2006, 1:03 AM
Eh i liked how when you got a cat from the clown in year one manny would say: its a squeaky little kitty. And when you would run past eva with it in your pocket you would make a squeak sound and she would say: what is that horrible squeaking noise your making. Then manny would say: new shoes
 VampireNaomi
04-07-2006, 5:06 AM
Did you post in the wrong thread or do you really think squeaking is touching? ;)
 DeadYorick
04-07-2006, 3:47 PM
No i think its good because that was highly orriginal part. Because I have never seen something like that. I also have another touching moment. was when I saw the mariatchi band again.
 liloiky
05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Deffinately Lola's death scene. Iy's so sad. And Chepito going on to the 9th underworld.
I also liked the way the slowly showed Manny's realisation that he's in love with Meche. It' starts with Salvadore asking him if he loves her, and he says 'love? love is for the living', but then by year 3 he realises the truth. I love that scene when he says that he needed to find her. So sweet!
Page: 1 of 2