Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Most touching moment in Grim Fandango

Page: 2 of 2
 Frenkieee
05-23-2006, 8:00 AM
Also, I'd like to give a nod to Membrillo's infamous quote, which managed to show that even in negativity, the human soul is inspired.

"We may have years
We may have hours
But sooner or later
We push up flowers"

You know, I've used this quote every time I was asked for my motto of life (or whatever that's called in English).

My most emotional moments was when Glottis and Manny said goodbye to eachother, as well as the moment the whole game ended. I often listen to all my GF songs and get the chills from my memories of this great, great game.
 Yohein
05-23-2006, 8:34 AM
The great thing about Manny and Glottis goodbye is that they managed to do it really emotional but not "pretentious". It's a perfect combination of the humor of both characters and emotion.
 King Dando
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I was touched by the whole ending of GF, when Chepito walks though the tunnel to the ninth underworld, when Manny and Glottis both say goodbye, it also occured to me that the game was over, that was so sad
 Nick Virago
07-19-2006, 1:39 AM
Well, I can't think of a touching moment thoughout the game, the ending, on the other hand... I just sat there in front of the screen and I couldn't believe the game was over, lol.
 Quoththeraven
08-03-2006, 5:04 PM
The most touching bit for me is the bit right after Chepito goes through, when you can walk Manny right up to the entrance to th ninth underworld, and he says somthing like this:
"I could actully do it. I could walk right through to the ninth underworld, and not look back. But, no. I can't do it. I'm not leaving without all those souls I promised to save"

I think it just sums up manny perfectly.

And of course, "Love Is For the Living" allways makes me sigh. it's so... sad. like the bit when you walk under the blimp, and press "use" and manny says, "it only goes to the land of the living,and there's nothing for me there" They really make you make you think about Manny, and his life.
 Smon
08-03-2006, 5:46 PM
The final scene with Domino really got to me, the fact that Manny will risk everything for a few people that never even told him their last names. Also the eerieness of Domino being trapped for eternity as fish food (I don't think the dead die... they're just imprisoned in their own bodies) in some monsters' guts really freaked me out... like that episode of the Superman cartoon where Metallo was trapped in lava. Just so... calm... quiet... eternal.
 Du Man
08-03-2006, 9:23 PM
The final scene with Domino really got to me, the fact that Manny will risk everything for a few people that never even told him their last names. Also the eerieness of Domino being trapped for eternity as fish food (I don't think the dead die... they're just imprisoned in their own bodies) in some monsters' guts really freaked me out... like that episode of the Superman cartoon where Metallo was trapped in lava. Just so... calm... quiet... eternal.

Yeah I always wondered, if your bones get grounded up, do you sprout? If not, what happens to you? I always thought people that got sprouted would get automatically sent to the underworld, just in a very painful manner, put I'm not sure what happens if your bones get grounded up. Maybe you just make the trip to the underworld as a pile of dirt since everybody in the land of the dead dosn't have mucels.

any way, most touching moment...

it seems the consensus was the flower cutting scene at the end, when Manny actually used the scyth in the way it was designed. but for me...i would have to say the end of year one, when the sad whinning horn is playing while your down on your luck mopping the diner floor, waiting for something that probably won't show up anyway. If I ever get in a "dead end" job, i'll just think of that scene and the song that was playing. I mean it sounds depressing, but it also made it feel very...real. I felt it gave Manny a lot of "character," even though I'm still not quite sure what people mean by that word unless the mean the ability of someone to keep going during their troubles, even if they may always have troubles. It felt sad, peaceful, and yet normal all at once.
 coat check girl
08-17-2006, 10:39 AM
When Glottis hugs Manny and they all leave is the saddest scene for me.
For some reason Glottis's wiggiling ears also make me emotional.
 Katrina Li
09-26-2006, 10:17 AM
I could never bear to look at the photo Lola leaves you. The music is just too sad! I think the part where Lola dies is very sad, as is the end when Manny says goodbye to Glottis, and Glottis and his new friends are waving to them. sob!
 Katrina Li
09-26-2006, 11:14 AM
When I first played the game when I was about 8 (eight years ago) I was pretty scared of the angel of death statue so always avoided going that way! The music from that part creeped me out as well!
 B.A.T.
12-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I'd say the most touching moment for me is when your having a chat with Membrillo and he says something like "its Death within Death" Also when Sal offers you into the LSA

"Who are you?" Manny
"I'm you. or at least i was you years ago" Sal
"yea well I'm me now so get lost" Manny

He tells you about the corruption and junk. When Sal dies too and also when Manny walks into his old office in El-Marrow with hector. Also when Manny gets shot and when Lola dies. At the end when the band is playing near the fountain and it resembles the figures and ash tray in the beginning. The worst part of finishing the game is that it was over.
 Tuetonic708
12-07-2006, 1:22 AM
OHH YOU TOOK MINE!!!! anyway, i loved the ending part but it gave me this very depressing feeling when i finished, when glottis hugs manny, when i see the guitar guys playing by the fountain which indeed represents the ashtray in the beginning of the game, and when you seee the train leave and disappears into the darkness, and right before you anticipate the very last note of what the guitars are going to play the credits role and you hear the music you remember like an old lost friend the festival where everthing started (i'm tearing up just by typing this) I could never finish this game without crying, without thinking that "Paul, wake up, wake up, it's over"
 Dunam
02-11-2007, 6:21 PM
Could someone please tell me, I must have missed it, when does Chepito go into the 9th underworld?
 Shuz
02-12-2007, 2:29 PM
right at the start of year 4, when you enter the gate to the ninth underworld for the first
 Dunam
02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
And I didn't even know you could go in there! Good thing I saw this forum.
 SeaTurtle
02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Lola's death is an incredibly powerful scene, but what I find more touching is afterwards when Toto talks about her. He calls her a sweet girl and says to Manny "tell her Papa Toto says hello".

When you find out what a lovely person she was it just makes her loss seem so much more significant.
 VampireNaomi
02-19-2007, 11:41 AM
That's true, SeaTurtle. Another reason why it's so sad is that it's tragic how Toto is just casually talking about her, not knowing that she's gone. And Manny is all "Right...". It's just awful.
 gusjc
02-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Oh God..... I started to read the posts and I just couldn't help it, I started to cry :$ :(
This amazing game, all these sad moments......
It's not just a game, it's way more than that. I will never forget that first time I played it.. That first time I saw the black screen with the credits moving and the music playing..... All the effort I made, all the moments of this game, the great fun and joy I felt playing, all that was over..
The story, the characters, everything made me love this game so much :(
I want Manny back, I want to visit Rubacava again.. I want Manny and Glottis to be together for the eternity.. I want to see how does the Ninth Underworld looks like!
How cool it would be if LA makes a sequel.. Of course, a good one.. One with all these beloved characters, an outsanding story..
I just can't explain with words all I feel when I play or even talk about this game..
I'm so happy knowing that I played the best game ever..
Anyway, show must go on.. And the only thing we can do, is keep playing this game until the cd burns and the files get so used they can been never read again!!
Oh, and yeah, btw :P ALL the moments you said before were really touching for me (I read everything).
I just have this feeling.. When I hear this poem, I feel like sad, like.. excited.. I feel something that's indescribable.. OK, read it and tell me if you feel the same :D specially the last 2 lines ;)
With bony hands I hold my partner
On soulless feet we cross the floor
The music stops as if to answer
An empty knocking at the door
It seems his skin was sweet as mango
When last I held him to my breast
But now we dance this grim fandango
And will four years before we rest.
------
Oh and yes, Tim, I LOVE YOU!!!!!! THANKS FOR CREATING THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!! YOU WILL BE REMEMBERD FOR EVER AND EVER!!!!!!!!! :D:D
 SeaTurtle
02-20-2007, 6:07 AM
I love that poem, too. I feel sad, but in a good way, if you know what I mean. Like you said, 20fox05, the feeling is indescribable.
 Colossal
05-25-2007, 8:45 PM
Glottis saying good bye to Manny at the end ...
 stewlil
05-29-2007, 6:08 PM
Glottis saying good bye to Manny at the end ...

DEFINETLY
 VivaLaZak
06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
the thing that touched me is when Manny says "You never know whats at the end of the line so you should just enjoy the ride there" (or something to that effect)
 squiike
06-06-2007, 10:19 AM
where do i go or what do i do in the game to hear that poem?

as for me the only thing i remember really got to me, was when Manny returned to the start city and everything had changed. Darker, more corrupt and creepy: Mannis office, not anything like the old days...and the "Mannis back to straightn it up again" feeling
 SeaTurtle
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
You mean this one:

You have to ask Olivia to read one of her poems. I don't think this is the first one she says, so you'll have to ask her more than once.
 Yosy
06-07-2007, 3:46 PM
You mean this one:

You have to ask Olivia to read one of her poems. I don't think this is the first one she says, so you'll have to ask her more than once.

In fact, that's the last poem she sings - after that, if you ask her to sing more she starts from the top.

But if you show the "rusty anchor" paper to her she sings another poem.
 Du Man
07-18-2007, 3:44 PM
also for me, there was the part in the end where Manny just looks at Oliva and shakes his head. It was the only time in the game Manny wouldn't say anything.
 stewlil
07-20-2007, 2:43 PM
Lola's death is an incredibly powerful scene, but what I find more touching is afterwards when Toto talks about her. He calls her a sweet girl and says to Manny "tell her Papa Toto says hello".

When you find out what a lovely person she was it just makes her loss seem so much more significant.

I always thought he was her dad because of this bit lol
 mewster
07-28-2007, 2:10 AM
Well, there are quite a few of them for me, of course. The one scene that really chokes me up, though, is when Domino is killed by the coral crusher, and Manny fears he's about to meet the same fate. He puts his hands up to cover his face so he doesn't have to witness the inevitable horror, when he is plucked from danger by Pugsey and Bibi, whom he himself had just saved from their own horrible fate.
Wonderful, wonderful stuff that gets to me every single time. Such amazing emotion conveyed without a word, or even a change of facial expression (which, as many here have noted, was also the case during the recovery of Salvadore's body).

Mew of the Skeleton Crew

Oh Manny... so cynical... What happened to you, Manny, that caused you to lose your sense of hope, your love of life?
Manuel Calavera: I died ...
 Ronny
10-28-2007, 12:04 PM
The ending is very sad. The fact that these two best friends will never see each other again. Plus, the realisation that Manny is leaving for good and there's no coming back. It's just such a powerful moment and I was actually speechless when the credits started to roll. I felt like applauding.

I also remember the train descending into hell and what really got me were the Gatekeepers words, something like "Your destiny cannot be purchased". There was no glory in it, just that eerie silence as all those people, some of whom you'd met, went to a very bad place indeed.
It was really quite striking.

Another rather touching moment, when I think about it, was the carnival for the Day of the Dead at the begining of the game. The whole art deco style, the floating balloons, the mural outside Manny's workplace. It was so placid and cosy that leaving it was really quite an unhappy moment. I only wish a place like that existed XD
Page: 2 of 2