Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

K-GFF (GFF Editing Utility) v1.3.0

Page: 2 of 3
 clydeski
10-24-2005, 4:35 PM
i just download this and i am having the same exact problem as Viscerus.

i start KGFF, the click file/open, then i browse to the character utc file i want to open and i click it, and KGFF stays just as it was when i started it, with no trace of my utc file displayed at all.

help!

Same problem as Simbacca and Viscerus. Execute kgff, select file/open, pick a gff file and nothing happens. All the display fields in kgff remain blank. title bar says the file is open but nothing happens. I have mainly tried opening someof redhawks light saber utis.
 Fred Tetra
10-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Did you try moving the left/right panel split point? Look on the lower left of the K-GFF window for a small box. I you mouse over the vertical line it sits on, you should see the horizontal resize cursor ( <---> ). Drag the split point to the right and you should see the treeview. I had the same problem...
 clydeski
10-25-2005, 4:41 PM
Thanks Fred and TK. Problem solved. Only have to do it once. Looks like a neat tool.
 mjpb3
12-03-2005, 3:26 AM
KGFF stopped working for me :(

I used it fine for a couple of projects, but now when I try to use it

...the exact same way I was using it before...

opening a file, I get a tiny window that pops up for a split second then closes and I can't 'catch it' to resize it...

And if I open KGFF and use it to locate and open a file, I get a blank window somewhat like what was described above...

I am using version 224

anyone know what could be the problem?
 clydeski
12-03-2005, 7:39 AM
MJPB3 - Are we talking about KGFF? When I checked this morning at http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) , 1.1.5 is the most recent version.

If it is KGFF, try the following:

Did you try moving the left/right panel split point? Look on the lower left of the K-GFF window for a small box. I you mouse over the vertical line it sits on, you should see the horizontal resize cursor ( <---> ). Drag the split point to the right and you should see the treeview. I had the same problem...

The kgff.ini file is in c:\windows, you may be able to manually change some of the parameters in it to solve your problem to.
 Darth333
12-03-2005, 8:30 AM
And if I open KGFF and use it to locate and open a file, I get a blank window somewhat like what was described above...

For some reason, in the latest version of K-Gff i have to go to the view menu and click refresh once I loaded a file in order to view it.
 mjpb3
12-03-2005, 10:58 AM
MJPB3 - Are we talking about KGFF? When I checked this morning at http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) , 1.1.5 is the most recent version.

Oh CRAP! Sorry about that, I was looking at dlgeditor_224.exe...

That's what I get for making posts at 2 in the morning... sheesh...

Anyway, what I meant was that I have KGFF version 1.1.5.0
 mjpb3
12-03-2005, 11:01 AM
For some reason, in the latest version of K-Gff i have to go to the view menu and click refresh once I loaded a file in order to view it.

Oh my word...

Darth333, that worked...

Well, now isn't that weird, it worked fine before...

huh...

Anyway, thanks! That did the trick ;P
 The Source
03-06-2006, 6:08 PM
Hey TK,

I was wondering what the differences are between the original GFFEiditer and the K-GFF Editer.
 tk102
03-06-2006, 6:59 PM
There are a couple things.

- KGFF supports Field Type Orientation (value: 16) and Field Type Vector (value: 17) which were not part of the GFF specification (http://nwn.bioware.com/developers/Bioware_Aurora_GFF_Format.pdf) at the time GFFEditor was created but were used in KotOR. GFFEditor would corrupt these fields, most notably, the CameraList in the .git files. This was the primary reason KGFF was made.
- KGFF displays CExoLocStrings as having child nodes for each localized string. This allows there to be more than one string per CExoLocString.
- KGFF supports the importing and exporting of Binary data.
- KGFF can read TLK files to interpret the resrefs of CExoLocStrings.
- KGFF's Copy/Paste functions use XML and the Windows Clipboard to do the transferring, allowing you copy and paste between two instances of KGFF or even pasting to notepad and back again.
- KGFF has a couple other features like the Search functions, Revert, Fold/Expand Tree
 The Source
03-06-2006, 7:19 PM
There are a couple things.

- KGFF supports Field Type Orientation (value: 16) and Field Type Vector (value: 17) which were not part of the GFF specification (http://nwn.bioware.com/developers/Bioware_Aurora_GFF_Format.pdf) at the time GFFEditor was created but were used in KotOR. GFFEditor would corrupt these fields, most notably, the CameraList in the .git files. This was the primary reason KGFF was made.
- KGFF displays CExoLocStrings as having child nodes for each localized string. This allows there to be more than one string per CExoLocString.
- KGFF supports the importing and exporting of Binary data.
- KGFF can read TLK files to interpret the resrefs of CExoLocStrings.
- KGFF's Copy/Paste functions use XML and the Windows Clipboard to do the transferring, allowing you copy and paste between two instances of KGFF or even pasting to notepad and back again.
- KGFF has a couple other features like the Search functions, Revert, Fold/Expand Tree

Intresting. It sounds like it is time to upgrade. :)
Thanks TK! :)
 tk102
03-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Small tweak to K-GFF to make it more KotOR Tool friendly.

If you'd like to have KotOR Tool launch K-GFF instead of GFFEditor for editing of non-KT GFF files directly (eg: .are, .ifo, .git) you can do the following with v1.1.6.

Extract KGFF.exe to your KotOR Tool folder.
Rename KGFF.exe to GFFEditor.exe.
 brwarner
05-07-2006, 11:55 AM
For people editing gif files a good feature would be templates. Like lets say you wanted to add a new creature you could go Insert Struct template - Creature. This way there isnt a problem with not knowing all the parameters a struct should have, especially for ones with many parameters.
 tk102
05-08-2006, 3:59 PM
Hmm, I like this idea. What makes it especially easy to do is the fact that K-GFF's Copy function actually stores the entire structure as XML. This could easily be pasted into a text document. All I would have to do is create something like Import Template to the File menu to make it easier to retrieve the template.

Currently, KGFF doesn't allow you to Copy the Main node, or Paste a struct to the Main node. Thanks for the suggestion brwarner. :D
 Pavlos
05-27-2006, 7:42 AM
tk, I don't know why - I really can't explain it - but if I have the load file window open for long enough, the application seems to time out. It just closes; which can be annoying. It is not a big problem because I save my work after every change, I just thought I would point it out.

Oh, and I'm using the latest version of your program.
 tk102
02-01-2007, 1:06 PM
K-GFF v1.1.7 released
Added support for copying and pasting the Main Struct of a GFF file. This can be helpful if you want to do your GFF editing in a text editor.

To do this:
Select the main struct of the GFF (the node labeled "[STRUCT ID: -1]" ) and choose Edit: Copy Node or right-click and choose Copy STRUCT or simply press Ctrl+C.

Next you can paste into a WordPad or other text editor and perform your edits using the text editor's functions. Be careful not to corrupt the XML tags. When you're done copy the entire text into your clipboard (Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C usually does the trick). Open up K-GFF and choose File: New. Select the root node labeled "New GFF File" and right-click, choose Paste MAIN STRUCT or choose Edit: Paste Node, or simply press Ctrl+V.
 Mikon Orod
03-03-2007, 11:14 AM
TK, the guys at swknights.com has to change the download link to your utility: now it points to a file called "http://www.starwarsknights.com/mtools/kgff_115.zip"), and it does not exist anymore. If your try to force the same path to "kgff_117.zip", you can actually download the latest version of the editor.
 stoffe
03-03-2007, 11:59 AM
TK, the guys at swknights.com has to change the download link to your utility: now it points to a file called "http://www.starwarsknights.com/mtools/kgff_115.zip"), and it does not exist anymore.

This should be fixed and working properly now. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
 glovemaster
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Has this been solved? I am having the same problems which is stopping me from applying "open with kgff" to files.
 tk102
04-06-2007, 5:00 PM
^^ I haven't been able to replicate this issue on my machine which makes it hard to troubleshoot. It's a peculiarity due to populating the treeview before the window is displayed. It's not a showstopper though, since you can press F5 to refresh the tree.

I'm looking into workarounds right now, but it's difficult to know when I've found one since I'm not having the problem to begin with. :p
 glovemaster
04-08-2007, 7:44 AM
Well, i have an idea :D
When you press right on a struct it expands it and when you press left it folds?
 tk102
04-08-2007, 10:21 AM
But then I wouldn't be able to use the context menu that's currently used with right-click.
 glovemaster
04-11-2007, 1:31 PM
i meant right and left keys on the keyboard
 tk102
04-12-2007, 5:13 PM
v1.1.8 released

- Added better support for up/down and left/right keystrokes. Up/down will now keep the selection cursor and the selection anchor together and will not navigate into folded branches. Left/right will not move the selection cursor but will fold/expand the current branch. Thanks go to glovemaster for the suggestion. :)
 glovemaster
04-12-2007, 7:25 PM
Wow, this has also fixed the bug which forced me to press F5 when i open a file, for me anyway. Thanks ;)
 tk102
04-23-2007, 6:24 PM
KGFF v1.1.9 Released

-v1.1.9: Added support for StrRef Fields (Field Type: 18) as used in Jade Empire (thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=177647))
 tk102
05-30-2007, 2:02 AM
Version 1.2.0 released

- Added support for TLK V4.0 string translations (Jade Empire)

- Eliminated a bug where the file in the most recently used list that no longer exists caused KGFF to croak. This would often occur when trying to launch K-GFF by double-clicking a K-GFF assoicated file.
 tk102
06-07-2007, 12:16 AM
v1.2.1 released
- Fixed bug that was causing weird problems with copying and pasting empty Lists and empty Structs (thanks stoffe!)
 stoffe
06-07-2007, 6:28 AM
v1.2.1 released
- Fixed bug that was causing weird problems with copying and pasting empty Lists and empty Structs (thanks stoffe!)

That was quick, thanks for the fix. :thumbsup:

Do you have any plans to release a version of nwn2-gff with this fix as well?
 tk102
06-07-2007, 9:07 AM
Yes I do. It appears I left the NWN::GFF module on my work PC otherwise I would have released that as well. Also need to fix XML2GFF/GFF2XML utilities for the same bug.
 tk102
06-10-2007, 12:26 PM
v1.2.2 released

Fixed a bug in the GFF libarary, exposed by v1.2.1. This affected GFF files where, after pasting a List that has a single struct or empty List, caused the change not to get saved. Thanks stoffe again!
 glovemaster
06-16-2007, 5:51 AM
Not that i want to be fussy but its just an idea. :lol:
Going back to when you added support for the left/right keys, maybe if you could make the keys work similar to KotOR Tool, where left would return to the top of the current struct, left again would close it. Right would zoom down to the nearest struct and right again would open it. You know what i mean if you have KotOR Tool, if you don't then how on earth do extract files?? :lol:

Thanks for adding the function in the first place anyway ;)
~GM
 tk102
06-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Not that i want to be fussy but its just an idea...left would return to the top of the current struct, left again would close it. Right would zoom down to the nearest struct and right again would open it.
Yeah, that seems to make more sense -- left/right should only affect how structs are displayed so why not jump to them.
You know what i mean if you have KotOR Tool, if you don't then how on earth do extract files??
I use FindRefs more often than KotOR Tool if I know the filename actually. ;)
Thanks for adding the function in the first place anywayThank you for the suggestions. :)
 glovemaster
06-16-2007, 12:45 PM
I use FindRefs more often than KotOR Tool if I know the filename actually.
Oh yeah, i tend to use that for module reskinning as you can extract both the MDL and MDX files together for that module at once. :lol:
Thats an idea for KotOR Tool, does anyone know what has actually happened to Fred?

And seen as i shouldn't really post on here with out giving a suggestion.. :lol:
maybe you could make KGFF generate a .ini file containing the path for the K1 and K2 dialog.tlk file (or it could remember them the way it does with the MRU list), so that when you go into the TOOLS menu, instead of "Use TLK file for StringRefs" you could have a branch that says "Use TLK File >" and then have the option for KotOR 1 and KotOR 2. And a "Use other TLK file" for those who want to use their own.
Thanks again :D
~GM
 sekan
06-18-2007, 4:37 PM
I cant start k-gff editior and that's make me insane.

* Hits my computer many times*
 tk102
06-18-2007, 4:41 PM
Sekan, try deleting the kgff.ini file in your Windows folder. If that fails, try deleting the temporary files from your C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Local Settings\Temp folder. If that fails and you have a character with a diacritic in your username, try logging off and logging on as a user without a diacritc.
 sekan
06-18-2007, 5:11 PM
I dont have a kgff.ini file on my computer and it didn't help to delete the files in the temp folder.
 tk102
06-18-2007, 5:17 PM
I dont have a kgff.ini file on my computer.
Are you sure of that? :) (Of course if your username has an accent, an umlat, or any other fancy Swedish character, you're probably right and you'll need to use a different username.)

In Windows Explorer menu:
Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Hide Protected Operating System Files (uncheck)

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Hide File Extensions for Known File Types (uncheck)

Then look again in your c:\windows folder.
 sekan
06-18-2007, 5:41 PM
Well i did the changes but i have now a big problem. It's not my username that makes the problem... It's the name of my computer!! Is it someway to change name of the computer?

*hit myself 1000 times bcz i could changed the name when i installed winxp*

EDIT: But i think i can use your tool when i live with my dad :D :guiness: :thmbup1:
 tk102
06-18-2007, 6:30 PM
It's the name of my computer!! Is it someway to change name of the computer?

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajnx.html)

I've also set an email to ActiveState asking them where they stand on this bug that was opened in January of 2006... I hate having to tell the international community to use this "workaround". :rolleyes:
 sekan
06-18-2007, 7:25 PM
I must really check things more before i post in this forum.
Well it was not the computer name. It's the name of my first username.
I cant change it bcz when i am loged in on my own username i cant change the bcz it's being used. Then i tried with another loggin that also was admin but it didn't work. You can stop try to help me bcz i will get a new computer...
Anyway thanks for helping me!
 Ferc Kast
09-29-2007, 9:46 PM
Can someone make a tutorial for adding new dialog options in .dlg files, such as hanharr.dlg, using K-GFF?
 tk102
09-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Why would you want to use a GFF editor for dialogs when there is KotOR Tool (for K1) and DLGEditor (for K1 and K2)?

Oh and btw, v1.2.3 was silently released a couple days ago.
 Ferc Kast
09-30-2007, 9:41 AM
I would only want to use a GFF editor because I can't get any DLGEditor to work for me, in that they crash whenever I point them to the proper dialog.tlk file for either game.
 tk102
09-30-2007, 12:21 PM
PM sent
 tk102
11-18-2007, 1:17 AM
KGFF v1.2.4 released

- Added toggle in View menu to select whether to use KotOR/TSL (Bioware) language IDs or to use The Witcher language IDs for CExoLocStrings.

- Made KGFF behave better when refreshing the tree and when adding a new node. When refreshing the tree, KGFF will remember what node you were on a make sure that node is still selected afterwards. When choosing to create a new node, KGFF will select the new tree branch for editing. (I know, that kind of expected behavior should've been there all along but it wasn't. :( )

- Added ability to Go to... a Field index or Struct index. (Ctrl+G)
 Ferc Kast
11-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Looks like I'll have to update the version on my USB, then. Can't wait to try out these new features. Didn't realize it, but I was still using version 1.1.7 of this. :doh: This should make things go easier in making one of my main mods.
 tk102
01-08-2008, 2:15 PM
K-GFF (GFF Editing Utility) v1.3.0 released

- Added ability to search STRREF fields (Jade Empire) by STRREF (I don't know how I missed this :o)

- Added ability to search STRREF fields by TEXT

- Added ability to search CEXOLOCSTRING fields by TEXT, though TLK file must be selected for this to work. Prior to this, only CRESREF fields, CEXOSTRING fields, and localized substrings were searched.

- Made the tree branch selection background color cyan for easier viewing (another :o why didn't I do this right from the beginning?)

- Added notification if searching by text and TLK file has not been selected
 samishxc
01-08-2008, 4:43 PM
I downloaded the Gff editor thingy but all it was was a htm file? I like clicked on it and stuff but still nothing happened. It probably is something obvious that im missing.
 tk102
01-08-2008, 5:48 PM
That's odd. It must have been a broken upload. I uploaded again so give it another try. :)
Page: 2 of 3