Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi powers & abilities in Battlefront II

Page: 1 of 2
 Windu Chi
05-24-2005, 1:16 AM
The jedi addition in the new battleront game will be very welcome.
But I don't want (as any jedi fan will agree)any simple jedi powers or abilities. I want them to include ability to throw objects, debris and also throw enemies off ledges or into to pits.I want to see some lightsaber dueling ( like in Episode III the game) like I saw in the trailer,which I hope isn't a cutscene. I also want the jedi you can fight as to have special moves not one move but many, like for example runing off the wall(like in Jedi Academy) to execute a special attack. I also want use the enviroment as a avantage to dispatch my enemies quickly, like throwing with the force, explosive barrels at them. Also I want to have force speed, jedi mind trick, force heal and throw the lightsaber in cool ways among other things.

P.S. I know this is a lot to ask out of this game but if they going to include the Jedi than go all the way with it. Also with those of you who don't agree than you are'nt true jedi fans, so don't reply.

:lsduel:
 Redtech
05-24-2005, 5:33 PM
Sorry, but if you role play in the battlefield. Don't complain if an AT-AT converts your "l33t Jedi" into paste.

I believe that the Jedi will have unique powers based on who they are and what they used in the films. E.g. Vadar with choke.

This is Star Wars Battlefront. Not "OMFG! I HAVŠˆ A L1TESABrE LOL!"

Heck, they'll need all the help they'll get being a melee class on a vehicle dominated map!
 TK-8252
05-24-2005, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by windu6
Also with those of you who don't agree than you are'nt true jedi fans, so don't reply.

You're telling me that I can't reply to this thread because I don't agree with you?

Wow. You sure stopped me.
 El Sitherino
05-24-2005, 5:41 PM
No. No jedi.

This is a game to get the movie experience as a regular grunt, not some badass jedi.
 ParanoidAndroid
05-24-2005, 9:08 PM
Unfortunetly I think jedi are going to be in the game no matter how much people oppose it. From viewing the trailers and movies it seems that jedi are a kind of speacial bonus, once you achieve a certain objective the player that achieved that objective gets to respawn as a jedi. The jedi is only alive for a limited time and once that time runs out the jedi leaves the battlefield. It seems that some maps wont have jedi and if there is then there will be only 1-2 jedi on the map at one time, and they can't be everywhere at once. Jedi will be an important addition to the game but in the end its the grunts who should win the battles.
 Darth Andrew
05-25-2005, 7:56 PM
As long as it takes a lot of Force energy to use force powers (so you could only use the force something like two times) then I won't mind the Jedi that much. If not, I... will... rampage... and... snipe... all... Jedi....;)
 VaderR
07-28-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable to play as a jedi at all especially with some jedi powers the developers really should capitilize on...being able to manipulate objects on the the battlefront world with your force powers would be a great addition to the game but let's face it no jedi is invincible...I know you can play Vader in Battlefront 2, but they should let you start off as a Jedi if you like and depending on how long you live or how many kills you get, you become more powerful each time you respawn or something like that...anyways may the force be with you...

VaderR
 lukeiamyourdad
07-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by VaderR
they should let you start off as a Jedi if you like and depending on how long you live or how many kills you get, you become more powerful each time you respawn or something like that...anyways may the force be with you...

VaderR

And that incites players to play with a regular grunt because...?
 BeBop
07-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Because then they can get the true feel that all the Storm troopers/battle droids get when they suddenly become awful in the face of a Jedi. Imagine the catch phrases! "SWBFII, be the cannon fodder!"

/sarcasm

If there must be Jedi, then what was said in a recent interview sounds good. If you are doing well, then you are rewarded with being a Jedi. The better you do as a Jedi you will get to be one longer. Inevitably you will run out of time to be a Jedi (From the sounds of it no longer than a couple of minutes if you do great) and then that's it. You don't get to be a Jedi again. One time thing. If you blow it, you blew it.
 quixter
08-01-2005, 8:30 PM
If they put jedi in the game ( 99.9% sure they will) they at least should give them unique force powers.
 lonepadawan
08-02-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't know if anyone's considered this, but the whole jedi thing has enormous single player potential... I know the idea of the game in general is being a grunt, but imagine in say.. a mod: You play as Obi Wan or Anakin in the Battle of Coruscant... you fly through the huge chaotic battle, land on the invisible hand.. saber your way through droids, fight Count Dooku (We've seen Obi Wan fighting Grevious in a vid) etc etc... I know if may not be the original purpose of the game, and I'll probably get flamed for even making the suggestion of being a jedi.. but it'd be fun would it not? Or chuck the jedi out totally... play as Han, Luke or Chewie escaping the Death Star... enormous Single player fun..

Well it's just a thought.
 quixter
08-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah that would be pretty fun for singleplayer. I hope they keep it for the most part the same though. :)
 lonepadawan
08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Well I know they won't do it. It's not the point of the game. I was thinking more of a community mod. A few models, a few alterations to maps... could be done.
 ParanoidAndroid
08-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I really don't think that it would work out. I'm not saying that your idea is bad or anything but Battlefront was designed to allow you to play a part in an overall bigger battle, not follow the path of a certain character. Even though there are heroes the battle won't center around them and them alone. I'm not saying that it couldn't be done I'm just saying that there are other games out there that were designed specificly so you could play as a single character from the star wars universe, why mod Battlefront to do somthing countless other games were specificly created to do?
 lonepadawan
08-02-2005, 1:34 PM
How many other Star Wars FPS are there?

Jedi Knight and Republic Commando.

How many of these have vehicles

Does this game have have official maps for these vehicles.

1 for the Original Trilogy.

Does it have AI for these vehicles?

No.

Are there large scale battles in it anyway?

No.

Y'see.. there isn't a single other SW game which allows you to wield a lightsaber, fire a blaster, fly a ship and take part in a large scale battle at the same time. Why wouldn't it work? Boost the main characters health a bit, alter some AI so some enemies guard specific locations. The battle goes on outside, you just have different objectives. Single player in BF at the moment focuses around a single character already. You.

Anyway tell "countless other games were specificly created to do?" to the people who were turning warcraft 3 into a FPS . Besides a CO-OP mod is incredibly popular for Battlefield, focussing on a few characters vs. the entire enemy team.
 TK-8252
08-02-2005, 3:15 PM
I don't know if anyone's considered this, but the whole jedi thing has enormous single player potential... I know the idea of the game in general is being a grunt, but imagine in say.. a mod: You play as Obi Wan or Anakin in the Battle of Coruscant... you fly through the huge chaotic battle, land on the invisible hand.. saber your way through droids, fight Count Dooku (We've seen Obi Wan fighting Grevious in a vid) etc etc...

Uh, that's what the RotS video game is for.
 lonepadawan
08-02-2005, 4:23 PM
Didn't see much flying in that. Must have missed it. Anyway who says it has to involve Clone Wars and Jedi... I was merely thinking of somthing along the same lines as the CO-OP mod for Battlefield which involves a small group of soldiers against a larger army.
 TK-8252
08-02-2005, 4:25 PM
Because it would be a waste of time.

So fly a bit... fight off some Buzz Droids... land. There.
 lonepadawan
08-02-2005, 4:29 PM
The CO-OP mod seems popular. Guess I should tell them it's a waste of time too...
 TK-8252
08-02-2005, 4:30 PM
What's the co-op mod?
 lonepadawan
08-02-2005, 4:39 PM
A mod for BF1942, several maps have been made for it.. involves a small group of players (with boosted stats rather than the normal BF classes.. essentially heroes) against a larger group of soldiers. They have to complete a series of objectives to complete. This usually involves getting somewhere and blowing things up :P
 ParanoidAndroid
08-02-2005, 5:35 PM
While the co-op idea is interesting, it might work for say a group of jedi fighting a clone trooper army or somthing like that, Battlefront's whole command post reinforcement point system is not designed to follow the paths of specific characters. It could be done, i'm not saying it can't I just really doubt it would be able to recreate the events that you want faithfully.
 lonepadawan
08-02-2005, 5:40 PM
Faithful ain't necesarily good :P

Anyway forget I said it, it has no real bearing on the game.
 TK-8252
08-02-2005, 6:32 PM
While the co-op idea is interesting, it might work for say a group of jedi fighting a clone trooper army or somthing like that

That's a pretty good idea. You could have the raid at the Jedi Temple set up like that. :)
 Kuuki
08-02-2005, 6:54 PM
has anyone even thought that maybe you'd have to start off as a grunt before you can get to becoming a jedi?

like BF2, maybe you gain experence points that eventually gets you become a jedi into the battlefield, but even then they are limited
 TK-8252
08-02-2005, 6:55 PM
That's how it is. You only get to be a Jedi if you complete a certain objective, get a certain amount of points, etc.
 Redtech
08-03-2005, 8:11 AM
On the corusant map, is there a point when most of it is in space?
 Leviathan
08-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Is it related to the main theme of this thread ? :confused:
 Pho3nix
08-03-2005, 6:40 PM
I hate the fact that there are Jedi =/
But i'm looking forward to owning them.
The negative side of Jedis' is the fact that everyone will play them, so it's 8 Jedi and 2 soldiers...which sucks.
 Igor_Cavkov
08-03-2005, 7:50 PM
i hope you can kill the jedi.. not like in BF when the bullets only bounce or something thats lame.. i hope they arent over powered and that they really can get killed.. just couse you are a jedi doesnt mean you are a god.. jedi can get killed "easily" to we saw that in the movie ;)
 ParanoidAndroid
08-03-2005, 9:45 PM
You won't have to worry about everyone being a jedi, there making it so that there can only be one, or at the most two jedi per team on each map, and you can't just spawn as them anytime you want, you have to earn the ability to play as a jedi first by completing certain objectives.

Technicly Jedi can't be killed, from what they have shown they have a sort of "time bar" that is constantly going down, killing enemies and completing objectives will add time to your bar while getting shot, and team killing will just make it fall faster. Once there time is up the jedi just leave for the rest of the fight.
 Leviathan
08-04-2005, 9:52 AM
It is a good process to prevent Jedi from being too "present" on a map... But I'd have thought to another manner : Once a Jedi has undergone a certain amount of damages, he should be "knocked-out" for 15 seconds, for sample...
 Igor_Cavkov
08-06-2005, 3:29 PM
You won't have to worry about everyone being a jedi, there making it so that there can only be one, or at the most two jedi per team on each map, and you can't just spawn as them anytime you want, you have to earn the ability to play as a jedi first by completing certain objectives.

Technicly Jedi can't be killed, from what they have shown they have a sort of "time bar" that is constantly going down, killing enemies and completing objectives will add time to your bar while getting shot, and team killing will just make it fall faster. Once there time is up the jedi just leave for the rest of the fight.

Well thats just lame that you cant kill the jedi.. :S instead of making it real they put a stupid time bar and bla bla .. omg!!!
 Leviathan
08-07-2005, 2:04 PM
But we must respect Star Wars' story ! For example, Obi-Wan isn't dead on an Endor or Hoth map, but aboard the first Death Star. And even if there was Kenobi in such a map, we couldn't kill him, because he could be needed on another world, after this mission...
I hope you see my point...
 quixter
08-07-2005, 3:46 PM
Sort of! :confused: :)
 ParanoidAndroid
08-07-2005, 6:25 PM
Well having them leave the field is better then having them be invincible for the entire battle, and the whole leaving the battlefield thing is basicly just another way to say that there dead. Sure they don't actually fall over and die but they do leave the field permenetly and thats what really counts. The only reason they added the whole time bar, leaving the battle thing was to respect the story, as Leviathan said.
 Leviathan
08-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I'd have prefer to be able to knock-out Jedi / Sith during the battle... Thus, they will be unavailable for a certain time... What do you think of this process ?
 ParanoidAndroid
08-08-2005, 8:37 PM
So instead of leaving the battle he would come back after a certain amount of time, perhaps in the hands of a diffrent player?

If I understand your idea it seems that jedi would become a more prominent force on the battlefront, jedi are there longer and more people would have the chance to use them which depending on who you ask could be a good or bad thing, some people would like to use jedi alot where others would rather they play a much smaller part.
 Leviathan
08-09-2005, 1:49 PM
It is exactly what you described ! But, as you said, this system presents disadvantages... :(
 Micahc
08-11-2005, 2:54 PM
I don't care how well they do the Jedi/Sith as long as you can turn them off.
 the_l337_one
08-13-2005, 9:57 PM
it makes sense why they would be invincible though. if u think about it, as soon as they would come into play, everybody would zone in on them, and blow them sky high. its the same as when somebody gets the sword in halo 2. as soon as u get it, ur giving up ur right to survive. so i agree with the time constraint. however, it would be nice to see everybody get a chance to play as a jedi, just so they can see if they can play it effectively, so that they know if thats something they should aim for every match, or something they should just not worry about. but if its coming with a time constraint, i wanna see them go all out with the force powers. if its gonna be a gimmick, go all out, so that some ppl like us wont whine about it.
 Redtech
08-15-2005, 8:25 AM
Except when you had the sword, you were more dangerous than someone with the shotgun. :) You weren't faster, stronger or able to block bullets.

Actually, I want the covvie shield for Halo 3. Sword and shield. Now people can complain.
 Leviathan
08-15-2005, 2:07 PM
Except when you had the sword, you were more dangerous than someone with the shotgun.
After, it is a tactical question, isn't it ?
 Redtech
08-16-2005, 8:47 AM
Guess so. Although saying that, there is fun to be had shooting people with the shotgun as they're about to stab you with the sword. I doubt you can do something that evil with battlefront though as decent insta-kill weapons are hard to get. (Nope, Rebel Pilot has a shorter weapon range than Vadar by the look of it!)
 zerted
08-16-2005, 3:12 PM
...I doubt you can do something that evil with battlefront though as decent insta-kill weapons are hard to get. (Nope, Rebel Pilot has a shorter weapon range than Vadar by the look of it!)

insta-kill weapons: -(bad things about each weapon)

Imperial + Droid Pilot's main weapons -arcs so good skill required
All Rockets -hard to use, long reload time
Mines -needs to be stepped on
Head Snipers -very good skill required shooting at moving target
gernades -delay before exploding
 Leviathan
08-16-2005, 3:52 PM
What about time bombs ?
 ParanoidAndroid
08-16-2005, 4:07 PM
I'd say they would fall under the catagory of grenades, explosive but they have a huge delay time. That and there range sucks, you can't throw them, just set them like mines.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-16-2005, 9:11 PM
It would've been much better if the time bombs came with a detonator that allowed you to set them off whenever you wanted. Much less of a headache then it is now.
 TK-8252
08-17-2005, 12:16 AM
It would've been much better if the time bombs came with a detonator that allowed you to set them off whenever you wanted. Much less of a headache then it is now.

Yeah, roadside bombs and car bombs are incredibly fun in BF2. Too bad we can't pack a speeder bike with the Star Wars equivalent of C4 and ram it into a tank. XD
 zerted
08-17-2005, 2:37 AM
Yeah, roadside bombs and car bombs are incredibly fun in BF2. Too bad we can't pack a speeder bike with the Star Wars equivalent of C4 and ram it into a tank. XD

Yes you can :blast5: . You can cover the speeder bike with mines, then drive. When an enemy gets close to a mine, it explodes killing the enemy, you, and the bike (of couse thats with team damage on). You can take out a group of players or a tank. Speeder bikes go fast enough that they won't know to get out of your way. They will never see the mines, only the explosion and the Respond Screen. Do the same thing with fighters and you got suicide aircraft.

When I get behind eney lines in SWBF, I like to play mines under the tanks or bikes. Someone gets in them and BOOM.

This gave me an idea, I'm going to see if you can stick a mine on a frendly player...
Page: 1 of 2