Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Quick Question for the Community

Page: 1 of 1
 RichDiesal
05-02-2005, 7:56 PM
Hey everyone -

I know it's been a while, but I had some comments and questions for you guys. I've been receiving e-mails from a handful of people each day concerning the disappearance of my old tutorial site (some of you have probably heard of it), and I was wondering if you all still considered this a vital resource, or if JK2 mapping has fallen so far behind the times that the site is no longer needed.

At the same time, if you all think it IS needed, I need help. Sergio LoDolce, the original owner (and my host) of jedioutcastmaps.com (http://www.jedioutcastmaps.com) and current owner of pcgamemods.com (http://www.pcgamemods.com) has apparently allowed the server to disappear (the domain name is still properly registered), and I have absolutely no control over it. I have long lost the files that I used to put this site together, but I assume they are still sitting on one of Sergio's hard drives... the problem is that I can't reach him (presumably because he's afraid to tell me whatever it is that he did).

If my site is indeed still valuable (and you wouldn't like to see it go), I would #1 need someone to get a hold of Sergio to get my files back and #2 need a host. I could potentially host the files myself, but it would be on a rather unreliable connection (on a desktop on wireless at my office), but I am willing to do this if no one else offers. I would MOST prefer to have the domain name transferred to my name from Sergio, but having not been able to get a hold of him (on either his pcgamemods or OSU e-mail), I don't know what to do about that.

So... yeah. If anyone has any opinion one way or the other, I'd most appreciate it. Thanks everyone!
 Mercenary
05-03-2005, 12:02 AM
By all means revive the site. A lot of people have been asking about it lately. It’s still considered to be the site to go to for learning to map for JK2 and JA. I think someone on map-center.com has saved all your web pages and images. I’ll ask him...
 lassev
05-03-2005, 4:57 AM
Yeah. Every time a new mapper wannabe appeared, your site was the first one to be mentioned. Now it's kind of hard to give any advice. It's a bit futile to say "I'd link you to Rich's tutorials, but they aren't online anymore..."

Yes, your tutorials are most definitely still needed. It's not like a whole lot of people would start JA mapping anymore, any day, but some still do, and your tutorials were an invaluable help and asset.
 Codja X
05-03-2005, 5:04 AM
I second Lassev's comments.

Also, most of the techniques that you had down in the tutorials also applies to most other Q3 engine games. The brush building techniques also greatly apply to HL2 and Doom3 as well and these games are finally taking off in the community.

I think these tuts are still relevant and invaluable and if you can retreive them and get them up somewhere, it would be very much appreciated by the community as a whole.

Indeed, it's where I cut my teeth (so to speak:) )
 BellX1
05-03-2005, 6:46 AM
im a newbie mapper. i used to use your tut before it dissapeared and i was really annoyed when, half way through basic stuff, it dissapeared. I think your tutorial completely Rox cos ive been looking everywhere for a tut that covers the skills of mapping HALF as good as yours did and theres none for jk2radient... only GTK and stuff. So heres my vote : PUT IT UP!!!!:D :D :D

P.S. you could try it on freewebs and then .tk it..:) just a thought
:bounc4: :thmbup1:
 wedge2211
05-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I would like to say that we at Map-Review would be happy to host your tutorials on our site--provided you let us fix some of the subtle errors about detail and structural brushes and area portals. We'd also make sure the most recent editing tools - GtkRadiant and q3map2 - are accounted for. The writing style and the form of the tutorials would remain exactly the same.

If not, I'll just have to write my own. :P
 graphicslash
05-03-2005, 11:46 PM
YEA WOOOOOT RICH !! ur tuts rock, and ive been so lost with out them..

i just wished they covered GTK too cuz i wanna map for JKA
 Mercenary
05-04-2005, 4:00 AM
Rich, if you can't get the web pages and images from Sergio, DARTHG, a moderator on map-center.com, has the whole thing saved. You can contact him there.
 Lazinator
05-04-2005, 5:45 AM
Yes, Darth G is moderator on the map-center over the JA / JO mapping forums. He was so kind to save all your work before the site went down.

I hope that you put your site back up and add some new tutorials. It's the site where I learned the most since I start mapping ^^
 kessno11
05-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Please put them on the internet Rich, they were my first tutorials to learn by:'(

I wanted to tell my new mapping buddy about them, but found out the site was closed:'( I just wanted to let you know that I really really appreciated your site, please bring it back.

Thanks,
Kessno11
 Nalukai
05-08-2005, 4:10 PM
that site was my bread and butter of learning mapping... i have had a hard time find resources as good as you had them... its not just the jk2 mapping it can be used with jsut about anygame that supports radiant and i blieve is vital to the mapping community... you da man riech... :D bring it back :)
 Lindsey
05-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Rich I'll be happy to chat with Sergio for you, I have his MSN on my contacts list. I too would love to see your site come back.
 Dolmkazaahr
05-12-2005, 6:22 PM
What a man Rich, without you I could never have mapped, the other tutorials are...alright...but none come close to yours, I still use them, even now when I am an okay mapper (still haven't got the hang of curves though lol) it was a really good resource.
I know alot of people have it saved, I wish I has before it went down...

EDIT: I haven't posted here in other a year, oh god, my signature is so old, I'm not even called Dolmkazaahr anymore, I'm now Germoc...(I like strange names lol)
 BabySpinach
05-15-2005, 9:30 PM
Hey Rich.

I am speaking on behalf of DarthG.

He would like to say the following:

Hi, this is Darth G I was the one spoke of before in this thread. I have all the files you had done on your site and .. well the entire site. I would like to host it on my site and add to it. Id like to finish (with my team) where you left off and make it a JKo/JKA tutorial site.

He would like your approval.

He also says that he can't post here for some bizzare reason.

Heres a link to the thread.
http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6956)
 Mercenary
05-23-2005, 2:57 PM
Has anyone heard any news about this situation? :confused:
 MDN14
05-24-2005, 12:25 AM
nope, but I hope they finish off all the tutorials and get this up soon :D
Page: 1 of 1