Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What would you like to see in the first (ok, how about the Second) PC patch?

Page: 1 of 2
 Kurgan
03-10-2005, 3:41 PM
I know that many of us are hoping for a patch for the game soon. Obviously some of us have different ideas.

This isn't by any means an "official" thread (in that, there is no guarentee that anyone concerned with making such hypothetical patches will even read it), but I'm sure this is something on people's minds.

My concerns obviously deal a lot with multiplayer.

I would ask for more stability, and the release of the console commands so that admins can change options and kick/ban players on the fly, as well as the seperate linux/windows binaries for hosting dedicated servers.

Of course those aren't really patch items per se (although kick/ban don't seem to be usable right now, so those need to be added).

My requests unfortunately deal with game content. I hope the patches add new game content, not just bug fixes (although bug fixes are good always).

What I hope most of all is that they don't change gameplay. Ie: don't give in to requests by people to nerf certain guns or remove them, etc. If anything they should give us OPTIONS not change the core gameplay that's already present.

So here's my wishlist (these are MP unless otherwise specified):

Fix the Trandoshan voices. They emit "human" grunts when taking falling damage or getting killed.

Fix the "Throw Weapon" bug in SP and MP. Having the ability to throw down a held weapon is GREAT. It's strategic in MP and convenient in SP. Why should you only be able to drop a weapon when you have another weapon in front of you? However throwing ALL your weapons causes problems. If a person throws all their weapons, they should still be allowed to throw grenades and use Melee attack. They should not be able to throw away their grenades and then end up with a "fake" hologram model in their hands and be unable to fight (and sometimes unable to throw grenades or use weapons ever again, even if picked up.. until respawning).

Fix the chat text. There needs to be the ability to make the font size bigger and more readable. Right now it's too small and stays on the screen for too short a time. It's easy to miss. Likewise as others have pointed out, certain characters are very hard to make out (like e, g, b). Using CAPS helps a little bit, but it's rather annoying.

Allow people to create a Dedicated Server and then join their own game anytime on the same computer if they choose. While this isn't an ideal option, it's all many people can afford to use. As of right now you have two choices: Host a dedicated server panel you can't play on (unless you have two computers) or play the game, then disconnect when you're done (and everyone else that was playing with you).

Add the ability to spawn in bots. Currently there is no fix when a team has one more player than another, and this can confer some key advantages. Likewise there is no "auto balancer" on the fly. The Team Balance option only affects newly joining players (it's not as smart as Open Jedi Project for JA's auto balancer, which scans the teams every 30 seconds and forces a player to join the smaller team until they are balanced. It also balances the proportions of humans and bots so one human isn't facing an entire team of humans alone). UT had bots, the entire Unreal series is renowned for good AI in MP.

New Content/Options: Add in some more optional game modes. Many of us wanted Coop, or an objective based game mode (like UT's version of Assault or Onslaught) with vehicles/turrets, usable vision modes/field lights, and even things like classes. This would be a lot of work if it hasn't already been mostly done by the dev team. However this is a great idea for an expansion. In the meantime some things that would be great would be "mtuators" (like in the rest of the Unreal engine games) that let you modify little aspects of gameplay to keep it interesting, but they're just little mini mods that you can turn on or off. Stuff like Low Gravity, "Arena" (everyone spawns with the same weapon and only that weapon), Explosive Ammo (shoot pickups and they explode), Last Man Standing (everyone has limited lives, and start with more than your basic weapons, last man standing wins), Fatboy/Bighead (getting kills makes you bigger and bigger, getting killed makes you thinner and thinner), Tag (one player is "It" and everyone has to try to kill that player), Runes (pickups that grant you temporary extra powers like speed, super jumps, shields, super damage, partial invisibility, etc, and when you kill somebody they drop their pickups so others can collect them with time remaining), Instagib (everyone gets only a one shot kill weapon that's based on aiming accuracy rather than splash damage), and other modes like UT came with, such as variable levels of damage "Hardcore" (where weapons usually kill in 1-2 hits) vs. "Classic" (guns take awhile to kill), etc.

Servers with these options would be so-named in the in-game browser so they could be told apart.

Also stuff should be put into the menu's (like UT did) like the ability to set a Message of the Day (multiple lines), Download links (for mods, not directly from the server, but seperate outside links), and the ability to bind taunts/orders to keys in the menu.

Gestures. You're thinking "oh no, emotes!" but remember, Unreal, UT and all the games in the series have basically had these. They're silent communication that's quicker than typing and not as annoying as taunting. The hand gestures from Single Player are good examples here, and give it a more authentic feel. Salutes, hand waves, military hand gestures (halt, rally point, go, etc), etc. These would not necessarily be tied to voice commands, but could be bindable to keys for those who wish to use them. Also fun for taunting. ;)

More MP Maps. DM has two maps that are unique, and they're really small (where having 6 players is pushing it for size). The rest are recycled between modes. The game could really use some more maps for each gametype. And how about throw in some maps that have the Geonosian Elite Beam Weapon as a pickup? Such a weapon can surely be balanced for multiplayer usage. And turrets (that are destroyable) would be neat to have in CTF/Assault maps that are balanced for them.

Optional "team radar." You know how in Single Player it gives arrows for the "locations" of your squad mates? Some similar system for MP team games would be a nice feature. Let players have the ability to toggle this on to see the general direction of their teammates. I don't know how many games I've had where people have wandered off never to be seen again, with new players getting lost and never coming back to their base. A brighter color arrow or symbol for the flag carrier teammate on the HUD would also be good.

More skins. Many of us would love to finally play as Wookiees, Geonosians, Battle Droids, etc. But even just the "standard" Clone Troopers would be reasonable to add, and a "plain" (non-painted) Clone Commando. The textures and models already exist in game and the animations could be shared with the regular characters.

Allow us to use the full "Helmet HUD" from SP in MP if we want to. Sure it's pretty much just eye candy where MP is concerned, but it's fun and adds to the immersion. It's not as if systems can't handle it.

Give the host of a Deathmatch game the ability to use a Trandoshan skin. Currently he seems to be forced to use a Trooper. Only joining players can be Trandos. I don't understand why they did this.

Give players the ability to change skins on the fly. If it is desired, they could make it so that the skin changes only occur after respawning. But as it is, the host of a game can't change skins ever, and players have to disconnect to change skins, then reconnect. And their skin isn't show in the score table anyway, so it's silly.

Add "awards" to the scoreboard as an option. Give servers the ability to display the number of "headshots" or "killing sprees" with their game. In CTF/Assault, captures, defense (killing the enemy flag carrier), assists (carrying the flag for a time before another teammate actually scores with it) and flag returns would be great.

Ultimately however, using a system like NGstats for web page output (like UT had) would be great. I don't care about leaderboards, I want to chart my individual progress or see how well I did in a particular match, not just how many frags I've gotten since I bought the game vs. some kid who plays it 24/7.

Add in basic options for the admin in the control panel to do basic things like Kick/ban, list IP's of players, change/restart map, and change game mode in the menu. Sure, once we get all the console commands this can be done in the console (and once kick/ban are added), but it sure would save a lot of time for basic stuff like this to be in the menu's.

And finally, this probably won't happen, but give us a real third person view. Put in a basic crosshair and raise the POV slightly and it could work. Let the third person animations we all see anyway in MP work (like for jumping, dodging, melee, etc) and it would be great. As a console port I'm surprised this isn't in the game already.

In Single player the third person model isn't even textured! (well it is, but they're using very low res textures of a generic gray Commando, not the outfit that "Boss" 1138 is supposed to wear). Granted, most people probably won't check, but still. More options = good.

In Single player there are instances of squad members getting "stuck" in walls sometimes and unable to move out. Thankfully the missions can still be completed without them, but it does make it needlessly more difficult.

---------------------------

Those are my suggestions. Let's not get into any big debates about whether the game was good or not, but this thread is for posting patch suggestions for the PC version of Republic Commando. If you're perfectly happy with everything and don't care, this thread isn't for you.
;)

Again my main concern is that they add features and content, and fix bugs, but not change core gameplay (mutators can be turned on or off, they're not permanent).
 Oidar
03-10-2005, 3:54 PM
That is the mecca of the RC wish list.

Only thing I'd like to see back in the game is the flood light from the demo.

I really liked that. It would be very cool to see your squad walking down a black hall with only flood lights to provide light.
 El Sitherino
03-10-2005, 4:05 PM
I heard there's a lack of server control features.... that's my only complaint at this time as I have yet to install and play the full game. But when I do I'd like to think we have servers that can be maintained.
 Prime
03-10-2005, 4:38 PM
This game is in serious need of an admin mod. Lamers will go unpunished as is...
 Oidar
03-10-2005, 6:26 PM
other thank TKing in a spawn area or blatantly on purpose I can't see alot of lamers in a game like this.
 Kurgan
03-10-2005, 6:50 PM
Originally posted by Oidar
other thank TKing in a spawn area or blatantly on purpose I can't see alot of lamers in a game like this.

I tried to tell people that Saber Off = Peace, but they wouldn't listen! I've been lamed hundreds of times this way!

PS: Our posts of this nature were satire. ; )

Now back to our real suggestions...
 Oidar
03-10-2005, 7:33 PM
hehehe I've heard this so many times

"I was chatting stupid noob, don't kill me"

I always said if you wanna chat use IRC.

One thing I would like to see released for the game is a patch or update the would bring in the voice over support BUT only if the admin is able to mute those really, really annoying people that whine about everything they don't like. (getting killed to much, someone using a nade to much, that sort of BS)
 Kurgan
03-11-2005, 3:48 AM
Yeah, in some ways the bare bones features of this game reminds me a lot of the early days of JK1.

Loading up a server and waiting for what seems like forever for people to show up (meanwhile gathering weapons and planning traps and jump patterns).

The cheat accusations and sore losers.

Having people leave after you kill them a few times.

People whining about how they were "typing" (I had a few people do that recently), when you have no way of knowing what they were doing of course... ;)

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time with JK1 (the gameplay was truly unique and very very fast), and there's a certain nostalgia here, even if those are technically things that should be annoying. You take the good with the bad!

Sorry to get off topic there. I agree, team chat support would be a nice feature. Though I guess without it people will just use Ventrilo, Teamspeak or whatever.
 Oidar
03-12-2005, 10:26 AM
I know we would never see anything like this in the first patch but maybe somewhere down the road they could import the ut2k4 music player into RC. Then you can listen to your own music while playing without having to run a program in the background on your pc.
 Nokill
03-12-2005, 12:34 PM
if you kill 3 team members you get kicked option :D

i hate team killers :mad:

and for the rest server tools yes and maby a good mapping tool and new gameplay options like doing real opjectives :cool:
 BeBop
03-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Or maybe actually have music in Mp..
 TK-8252
03-12-2005, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by BeBop
Or maybe actually have music in Mp..

Yeah, that's one of the things that's missing in MP. The music is so perfect in SP and it'd be great to have it in MP too.
 ZBomber
03-12-2005, 5:54 PM
Meh, I have sound off in MP anyways. If you want music so bad, go buy the Star Wars CD/listen to the RC songs in another program. ;)
 Kurgan
03-12-2005, 8:02 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Meh, I have sound off in MP anyways. If you want music so bad, go buy the Star Wars CD/listen to the RC songs in another program. ;)

He's right though. They turned off the music in MP and grayed out the option so you can't turn it back on!

I mean sure, ok, some of the music is kind of monotonous, but the rest of it is cool and fits perfectly, even enhancing the experience. Sure, in "serious" matches it helps to be able to hear the quieter sounds that the music might drown out, but still.

Every game in the JK series that supported MP has let us listen to music in MP.

And some people's pc's are just barely playing the game well enough, without having to suck up more memory with an external music program. Sure, there are ways around it, it's just such a simple thing to allow the music to be toggled back on if the user chooses.
 Nokill
03-12-2005, 8:11 PM
music in mp... :eek:
but then you can hear the enamy sneaking up on you anymore :p
 Oidar
03-12-2005, 9:28 PM
Something else I'd love to see, an inventory of some sort, or modify the exsisting grenade selection to include a couple little things, an explosive charge, those nice ones that take 10seconds to place and then you can remote detonate them. Maybe the door breaching charges as well, then we could have doors that you'd have to breach open, say one team locks a door from one side the other side has to use a charge to breach it open or hack it. Just a couple little things to give the multiplayer a little more depth instead of, run shoot, quake jump, shoot, quake jump, die whine cause you got pwnd. Ya know a change from the norm.
 BeBop
03-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Something else I'd love to see, an inventory of some sort, or modify the exsisting grenade selection to include a couple little things, an explosive charge, those nice ones that take 10seconds to place and then you can remote detonate them. Maybe the door breaching charges as well, then we could have doors that you'd have to breach open, say one team locks a door from one side the other side has to use a charge to breach it open or hack it.

I would think if those were put in it'd be in a an objective based mode like what is in the list at the start of the topic.
 Oidar
03-12-2005, 11:04 PM
not really an item such as the explosive charge could be used as a defence item, placed behind a barrel or on a corner it could be used to take people out as they past. Keep it so you can only have one in stock at a time and you'd be fine. A door breach charge would be used in an objective map but currently 3 grenade types aren't enough, especially considering they didn't put the flash grenades in mp.
 Shok_Tinoktin
03-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I would think if those were put in it'd be in a an objective based mode like what is in the list at the start of the topic.

It wouldnt necessarily have to be. You could make assault maps (or CTF for that matter) that have things like lockable/sliceable/breachable doors or turrets. Then it would involve more strategy in how to get to the enemy base. You would have to decide to slice a door, and go in quietly (try to sneek past), or breach the door and go in quickly (the sound would alert the other team of where you are, or take some other path around.

not really an item such as the explosive charge could be used as a defence item, placed behind a barrel or on a corner it could be used to take people out as they past. Keep it so you can only have one in stock at a time and you'd be fine. A door breach charge would be used in an objective map but currently 3 grenade types aren't enough, especially considering they didn't put the flash grenades in mp.

What could even be done with the explosive charges, is to make them able to clear paths. Say, the team on defense could fire rockets at places on the ceiling to cause debris to fall and block the path, killing anything caught underneath. Then the attacking team would have to use a charge to get past it (or blow up the debris as a distraction).
 Oidar
03-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Yea both excellent ideas. Currently the mp game play is almost to linear. Spawn rush to enemy base, steal flag rush back, while the whole time your avoiding incoming fire and friendly fire and trying to keep yourself alive. We definatly need a few little things brought into the game to enforce the idea of team play, not
"Ok, we've got 8 guys on our team, I'll be Rambo. You can be Rambo two, you can be Rambo three, you can be Arnold Schwarzenegger in predator pretending to be Rambo, you can be Rambo five...."

Also, this may seem like a trivial thing but maybe the ability to kick or toss an enemy grenade back at them. I've seen it happen in the single player part of the game and it could make people a little more cautious in multiplayer, you may toss a grenade down a hall only to have it tossed back. Just an idea.
 Shok_Tinoktin
03-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Another sp element I would like to see in mp is the ability to command your team to focus fire on a target. I was trying to figure how exactly to make this work, and the best I can do is you press f when aiming at a target. This gives a written and/or verbal command telling everyone that you want them to attack that person. They can then press f to accept, and their compass things would point to where that target is. Something like that.
 BeBop
03-13-2005, 1:40 AM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
What could even be done with the explosive charges, is to make them able to clear paths. Say, the team on defense could fire rockets at places on the ceiling to cause debris to fall and block the path, killing anything caught underneath. Then the attacking team would have to use a charge to get past it (or blow up the debris as a distraction).

A great idea, if asking for a little much. It would really put more tactics into Mp. As such an Idea would also make it so that you could create Choke points. (And if there was no rocket launcher about, the debris could be created by placing a demo charge, which, since it takes 10 secs to place, would give the oppurtunity for the attacker to try to stop you from acheiving your goal.) I can't say I would want in CTF. As there would be one team defending and one team on the offensive, and you have to do both in CTF. If Assault was redone that could work, but since some people seem to like it the way it is is the reason I suggested it be another game mode. Also, Those proximinity Mines from Sp that you could place on barrels would be nice (Or even the Trando Land Mines for a trando defending team.) Flashbang Dets I would like as well, I'm puzzled as to why they weren't put in. After all, while you are not stunned by them, you still get almost blinded by them in SP. if they made it so that, while you could see little more than white light, the names and arrows above every player wouldn't be visible, it would make it difficult to find the enemy.
 Shok_Tinoktin
03-13-2005, 3:36 AM
Assault wouldn't really have to be redone at all. Maps could be added that have the new elements, which would allow people who dont like them to create or join servers that use only the old maps. As far as using these things in CTF, it might be useful to give the opponent only one quick way in or out of the base, and could make it easier to cover your flag carrier (you would know which way they would be coming).
 Joetheeskimo
03-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I'd like to see something other than Trandoshans or Clones in MP, for pity's sake. What about all the SP droid and Geonosian models?! Lazy MP designers. :mad:

((Yeah, the game arrived over a week ago, just never announced it :D))
 Kurgan
03-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Ok there really really really REALLY needs to be a "Tie Breaker" option for Assault. Half of the games end in a tie. It's really annoying (especially on the small maps)!

Deathmatch has this option already, it's called overtime.

But we need an overtime option in Assault!
 Shok_Tinoktin
03-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
But we need an overtime option in Assault!

Not overtime, matches would never end. Some kind of other tie breaker (points maybe?) would be better.
 Kurgan
03-16-2005, 4:46 PM
Hmm, you mean like total player points (not kills) on one team vs. the other? That might work. Maybe even several possible options.

Btw, I'm not sure if we should merge this thread with the "RC Bugs?" thread, but here's a link to it anyway (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145442). For now I'm thinking not, because it's a slightly different topic. This one is more organized. ;)
 Shok_Tinoktin
03-16-2005, 5:07 PM
I've actually thought about it, and I think I have a better idea. The tie breaker could be that the winner is whoever spent the least time attacking. In other words, whoever go the flag across faster. That would give motivation to hurry on maps that are hard to defend, and even make defending on maps such as the arenas have a little more of a point.
 Doomie
03-17-2005, 9:47 AM
I'd like to see more levels (single- and multiplayer) and also some more interactivity in MP. Like Oidar said, It'd be cool to be able to place a charge next to a door, and when someone comes trough, you press the button and wham! Great for ambushes and repelling full-scale attacks.

EDIT: oh, and drivable vehicles would be nifty too. Since this used to be seen as a sort of 'Star Wars Halo', I was kinda expecting it...
 Pad
03-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Something they really have to look at is the weapons in MP. I donґt mean which weapons there have to be but the respawn of them. At the moment there isnґt any respawn time which results in some maps with all players using the Anti Armor attachment. The one who can fire first will win. Not good in my opinion.

So give it some respawn time or a limit per team. Think it would make it more challenging.

Same will have to go for grenades. You can pick up two of em when you run over. But what happens if you run over em again? Yes, you get again two new grenades. Pretty convenient when you are out of grenades or close to an enemy camp/door/... with grenades near you.
So a respawn on these aswell please.

And maybe an idea. At the start of a game you get the choose your player class or weapons with a limit for each.
 BeBop
03-17-2005, 10:41 AM
So far I've only seen one server that has no respawn delay with the pickups. Everyother one however has a delay. So I don't know if that's a problem.
 Pad
03-17-2005, 1:39 PM
So far I've only seen one server that has no respawn delay with the pickups. Everyother one however has a delay. So I don't know if that's a problem.
I played on several servers and noticed it. I probably just played the wrong ones. :)
 Kurgan
03-17-2005, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by Pad
Something they really have to look at is the weapons in MP. I donґt mean which weapons there have to be but the respawn of them. At the moment there isnґt any respawn time which results in some maps with all players using the Anti Armor attachment. The one who can fire first will win. Not good in my opinion.

So give it some respawn time or a limit per team. Think it would make it more challenging.

Same will have to go for grenades. You can pick up two of em when you run over. But what happens if you run over em again? Yes, you get again two new grenades. Pretty convenient when you are out of grenades or close to an enemy camp/door/... with grenades near you.
So a respawn on these aswell please.

And maybe an idea. At the start of a game you get the choose your player class or weapons with a limit for each.

By default there IS a delay on all pickups, period. That's how my server has always been. I'm not even sure how to make them NOT take time to respawn (the respawn delay in the options menu I thought referred to PLAYER respawns, since it's off on my server and yet items take time to respawn, but players don't). Sides, one way or the other people will whine.

Either, "everyone has the cheap weapons!!" they'll say, or "this one person is hoarding the cheap weapons!!" etc.

But, like you said, if grenades are instantly respawning ('weapons stay' in UT didn't work that way incidentally, grabbing a new pickup of the same weapon didn't give you anything since you couldn't pick it up a second time only another person could, or like in Q3 it only gave you 1 extra ammo per pickup) then yeah people pretty much have 5 grenades with every pickup. Health wouldn't be a big deal since it always gives you 100%, but you could camp near one and stay alive longer (though most weapons can be instant kill so not necessarily). Likewise you could get full Shotgun ammo each time (since it takes two pickups to max it out).

Sounds like a bug with this option that only a few servers are using.
 Kurgan
03-23-2005, 2:06 PM
Okay, a viewer named "Phats" wanted me to post this for him since his account is having problems:

Phats wrote:

I can't seem to get my republic commando account to do anything but let me read the posts, I can't make posts myself. Anyway I was wondering if you could post this up for me ;) ....

Team Damage Options:-

1) Apply X % of damage back to the person who fired the weapon.
2) Auto kick if TeamDamage:OppositionDamage ratio of a player becomes greater than X %

The way the game plays now without the server host/admin being able to kick people are just exploiting the hell out of the 0% TD people are using in the server settings.

That should make admin'ing easier.

A curse filter and badname filter would be nice in respect to the younger people playing.

There seems to be some exploits too with people firing heavy weapons at their feet and killing their opponents with the splash and surving themselves to go on to repeat this process several more times - obviously not taking much damage each time. (I think it might have been the concusion rifle I saw used for this purpose).

Personally I think the team damage thing (when you hurt your teammate, YOU get hurt as well, like in the old light gun arcade games) idea is pretty cool, but that doesn't mean the simple ability to kick people from the server shouldn't be added either. It's basic to all MP games out there pretty much. The auto kick (if you did more damage to your own team than to the enemy) would be neat. Of course it would punish noobies, but then they might learn their lesson. When would this be done? At the end of the match or on the fly?

As to the splash damage thing, I can attest that when I do the above to others and I don't die, my shield is gone and my health is way down there, to only a couple of bars (or even one bar) and I have to run for Bacta. It may seem like they are never dying, but they are just playing smart. ;)

A curse filter would be nice, if the user could edit it himself with a list of words, since people are sneaky and would bypass a regular filter quite quickly.
 Ripper2.0
03-23-2005, 3:34 PM
I honestly would like to see more multiplayer maps and single player 2 but... fix a few bugs too E.G:Falling through a wall 0.o.
 BeBop
03-24-2005, 11:39 AM
commenting on what Phats said in his 'post' about the firing of a concussion rifle at your feet. Well if you keep moving... since the concussion rifle has a delayed explosion, you could fire it a little bit in front of your feet, run backwards and be out or almost out of it's damage radius, while your enemy may be standing on top of it. I do that alot when i have that gun...
 tommygunner
03-24-2005, 1:24 PM
THE ROCKET LAUNCHER... i am not sure if anyone said this but the blast radius is huge and a noob can come in and get like 20 kills and just stand where the ammo is... and it homes in on you if u charge it or whatever... but it is also fun to shoot the ppl and see them go flying :D
 Kurgan
03-24-2005, 2:05 PM
Originally posted by tommygunner
THE ROCKET LAUNCHER... i am not sure if anyone said this but the blast radius is huge and a noob can come in and get like 20 kills and just stand where the ammo is... and it homes in on you if u charge it or whatever... but it is also fun to shoot the ppl and see them go flying :D

Well, the RL is powerful, and it is very difficult to shoot down the rockets it fires, but I really really hope they don't start nerfing weapons. First off the RL makes you move about walking speed, second you only get 5 shots (and without instant respawning ammo this means you better be accurate). Sure you can wipe out multiple people with it, but at medium to close range you stand a better chance of killing yourself in the bargain (which noobs are more likely to do). Getting a lock on someone requires careful aim (a full lock takes seconds of focusing on the crosshair right on them to work), since most people are constantly moving. The shots are powerful, but the rate of fire is incredibly slow. The AA by comparison is a much faster weapon, but its a little shorter ranged and less accurate, with a smaller blast radius.

commenting on what Phats said in his 'post' about the firing of a concussion rifle at your feet. Well if you keep moving... since the concussion rifle has a delayed explosion, you could fire it a little bit in front of your feet, run backwards and be out or almost out of it's damage radius, while your enemy may be standing on top of it. I do that alot when i have that gun...

Thanks, I need to try that. ;) Sort of like the tactic of throwing your grenades right at your own feet as you run away which I see some people doing. I think such tactics are both smart & risky. If they work, the player should be rewarded with the kill, in those cases.
 tommygunner
03-24-2005, 4:32 PM
lol ok well how about an option to take out some weapons when u want to or something...
 TK-8252
03-24-2005, 4:40 PM
Originally posted by tommygunner
lol ok well how about an option to take out some weapons when u want to or something...

No, removing weapons unbalances the game. LA took the time and effort to code all the weapons, construct models for them, create animations, and compile the sounds, so taking them out of the game is throwing away this hard work.

It's just like how in JO and JA how servers disable everything except lightsabers. All the guns, explosives, Force powers, and that's throwing away like two-thirds of the game right there.

Besides, there's no weapon that should be considered "cheap," not even the Wookiee Rocket Launcher. It's so slow it's almost like it's only good for one shot and then you'll get killed by someone else before it can fire again. You walk so slow with it you're a sitting duck. Not to mention most people just blow themselves up with it any way...
 Nokill
03-24-2005, 6:01 PM
yes your right :o

but i think the best thing will be making Droids in MP
and some siege gametype woud be nice to have 2 bases and man turrets to defend them :D
 tommygunner
03-24-2005, 7:17 PM
yea i would like turrets and vehicles... but that would mean much bigger maps... and droids!!! :D
 Boba Tea
03-24-2005, 8:47 PM
Personally, I hope to see helmet HUDs in MP, a couple extra maps, and for god's sake at least one vehicle(perhaps a Warthog-ish skiff?)

And also, I want to be able to do takedowns. Wouldn't it be awesome to press a hotkey in the heat of battle, switching to third-person and doing one of those brutal finishing moves? Of course, it'll never happen...
 Nokill
03-25-2005, 4:07 AM
i think it woud also be a nice idear to put healing comrads in MP
then you can do a respawn time of 30 sec or so and you are forced to work in teams or else your all goners :D

but ill yust be glad whit some nice server tools if its not to mutch askt :o
 Oidar
03-25-2005, 6:18 PM
Something I thought I just came accross.

Computer Games - Are there any plans to release new content and/or mod tools for Republic Commando after its release?

Chris Williams - Yes. We will be releasing additional content and the tools the MOD community needs to create their own content roughly a month after the game ships.

What do you suppose Chris meant when he said this
"We will be releasing additional content".

Could we be looking at some additional maps, multiplayer characters(droids and wookiees)more sp features in mp?

With the JK mod tools extra content didn't have to be released for them to work, no extra maps or anything like that. So what do you think the additional content will be?
 Kurgan
03-26-2005, 12:45 AM
Something I thought I just came accross.

What do you suppose Chris meant when he said this
"We will be releasing additional content".

Could we be looking at some additional maps, multiplayer characters(droids and wookiees)more sp features in mp?

With the JK mod tools extra content didn't have to be released for them to work, no extra maps or anything like that. So what do you think the additional content will be?

Maybe I misread your post, but JK2 and JA both had extra maps released by the dev team for free, alongside the patch(es) and mod tools. Sure you could make some basic mods because it was the Quake3 engine, but without specialized tools there were problems.

Still, for JA they never released a new version of JKRadient I'm told, you just used the latest version of Gtk Radient (I never did mapping for those games so I apologize if I got that wrong).

I don't know if it's the case with all Unreal engine tools that they work with RC, but I've heard that people have tried to use currently released versions of UnrealEd and it crashes with this game.
 Deth Metal
03-26-2005, 4:36 AM
That is correct, NONE of the currently available tools for use with the UE engine (even some that aren't exactly legal) will work with RC, I just tried them last night and no dice.
 Nokill
03-26-2005, 8:25 AM
to bad woud be nice to have some lucasarts guy here telling us how far thay are whit this stuf :(
 Oidar
03-26-2005, 11:15 AM
well I was looking at it from this angle.

When LA released patches and additional levels for JO/JA they were just for the game. They also released the mod tools which you didn't need to have anything other than the game installed, none of the new maps and stuff, to use them.

So this would lead one to think that were getting a patch/additional content along with the mod tools we've been waiting for. I'm curious what the additional content will be. I emailed LA to ask them and got no reply. Its been 3days so I'm not exptecting an answer on this.

This also had me thinking if they knew they were going to release extra content after the games release would that be why the wookiees and droids weren't inclued as playable factions in multiplayer.

Also,
Deth Metal. I tried using all the known UT editing tools with RC and none of them work. I got a couple unsupported tools and the best I've beenable to do with those is extract a couple static meshs from a couple of the files. Nothing that would allow for any modding.
 Commando_Iblis
03-29-2005, 7:45 PM
It probably can't be done as a patch, but the ability to pick up Droid Blasters might be fun. The Regular Battle Droids just used handheld blasters, it didn't make sense not to be able to use them (Especially when Sen. Amidala used them in the movie). Of course the DC17M is superior, but being able to use the enemy's ammo against him would be nice.
Page: 1 of 2