Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gold!! (Release Date: March 1st)

Page: 1 of 2
 Sifandor
02-09-2005, 5:59 PM
Was it me or was this site on lock down...? You couldnt post replies or nothin' anyway it went gold finnaly now we can play in three weeks...
:mob:
 coupes.
02-09-2005, 7:41 PM
Gone Gold!
LucasArts is excited to announce that the highly anticipated title, Star Wars Republic Commando has officially GONE GOLD on Xbox and PC and is scheduled to ship on Tuesday, March 1, 2005.

Finally ! :cool:
 Narrok Lalartu
02-10-2005, 2:58 AM
And about time to!
I'm going stir crazy over here waiting for this game
 Nokill
02-10-2005, 8:33 PM
*biting his fingers off from joy*

:D
 Kurgan
02-10-2005, 8:55 PM
*cleans gun*
*cracks knuckles*
*suits up*
 ZBomber
02-11-2005, 2:48 AM
Finally, they can't keep pushing back the date now. :D
 Sifandor
02-11-2005, 6:24 PM
If you preordered it and they are shiping March 1st when will you recieve your copy?
 Drax Kreiger
02-11-2005, 7:32 PM
I preordered Battlefront, and I got it the day it came out.
 Kurgan
02-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Depends on the quality of the service. I know in the past many folks have complained that they got a game they pre-ordered the day after it came out in stores in their area.

It all depends. And no, I don't know if they ordered directly from LucasArts or someplace else.

It's a gamble. I don't see the point in pre-ordering if they don't get it to you on time (unless there's going to be some shortage, but that shouldn't happen), but nobody's perfect.
 Nokill
02-12-2005, 1:37 PM
i know someone ho works at a store that sells games he can get the game's for me 1 or 2 days bevore thay are out and also cheaper then in store's and preorderd one's :D
 Sifandor
02-12-2005, 3:19 PM
I just like the fact that i know i will have a copy...The places where i live are always sold out of new games ALWAYS!! this is just a security for me....
 ZBomber
02-12-2005, 5:35 PM
Originally posted by Nokill
i know someone ho works at a store that sells games he can get the game's for me 1 or 2 days bevore thay are out and also cheaper then in store's and preorderd one's :D

Not a good idea, usually, if you play online before the original release, you can get your CD Key banned.
 Sifandor
02-13-2005, 1:47 PM
Wow that sounds pretty serious i wouldnt do it either then but.. at least you get the single player i dont think it is worth the risk......

PS: Anyone know how you can CHANGE/CREATE a siugnature when you have already created an account???
 ZBomber
02-13-2005, 1:52 PM
Ofcourse. You do it in your control panel. :)

http://www.lucasforums.com/member.php?s=&action=editprofile)
 Kurgan
02-13-2005, 2:53 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Not a good idea, usually, if you play online before the original release, you can get your CD Key banned.

Yeah, isn't that what Epic did with UT2k4? Something about letting people play pirated copies of the game for a month or something, and then they cracked down and banned all those keys from the servers (since it logged everyone who joined). Ouch...
 Sifandor
02-14-2005, 7:29 AM
Anyone know how the gameplay will go??wethere the multiplayer will be like source were its wait till everyone dies then spawn again or will it be like who ever makes it to this point wins......ect
 El Sitherino
02-14-2005, 7:56 AM
Depends on the gameplay mode. Capture the flag will be just that. I assume it'll mostly be like SP gameplay with a few tweaks here and there. Deathmatch will most likely be fraglimit or just timelimit.
 Sifandor
02-14-2005, 8:08 AM
cool I wonder if it will be like clone start out with clone weapons and trandoshans start out with trandoshan weapons.....or you have to go pick some up or something.... I hope that there will not be a ginormous inbalancae between trndoshans and clones.
 Drax Kreiger
02-14-2005, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Yeah, isn't that what Epic did with UT2k4? Something about letting people play pirated copies of the game for a month or something, and then they cracked down and banned all those keys from the servers (since it logged everyone who joined). Ouch...

It was even worse with Valve. When people with pirated games logged onto Steam, they banned their IP from Stem forever. So now there are plenty of people who can never play any Valve game again.
 Sifandor
02-14-2005, 3:42 PM
dang that is crazy.....But you pirate the game you deserve punishment....
 JDKnite188
02-14-2005, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by Sifandor
dang that is crazy.....But you pirate the game you deserve punishment....

True. They take the risk. If they violate the policies of the services of a company, they don't deserve to access those services if the company wishes it so.
 Kurgan
02-15-2005, 1:47 AM
I can understand them being pissed, but I think I'd give them "another chance" with a future game, because maybe they'd have learned their lesson by then.

Still, Valve has made a grand total of what, two online games? Half Life and Half Life 2. And considering how long it takes them to release anything it'll be a long time.

By then the banned pirate would likely have a new ISP and thus a new IP.

Unless you're on AOL. I imagine it wouldn't be long before somebody got AOL banned from Valve's games forever...
 El Sitherino
02-15-2005, 8:25 AM
Why would you play a huge online game with dial-up? Why would someone pirate a game on dial-up? That'd take forever.

And why should the pirate get a second chance? He/She broke the game makers rules, they don't deserve a second chance at the game. Plus they're lucky Valve doesn't report them. That is their "second chance"
 Drax Kreiger
02-15-2005, 9:41 AM
They have more than just two games. COunter Strike and Team Fortress are some others.
 El Sitherino
02-15-2005, 9:45 AM
Originally posted by Drax Kreiger
They have more than just two games. COunter Strike and Team Fortress are some others. Uhm... those are MODS for half-life.
 adillon
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
if my memory serves me right, half-life was never playable online. HL2 is playable online now (HL2 deathmatch) but isn't fully tuned, is still lacking proper animations for some aspects, and still has some bugs that need to be worked out.
 El Sitherino
02-16-2005, 6:45 AM
Nah, Half-Life was playable online.
 adillon
02-16-2005, 7:25 AM
well heck, i sit corrected ... and all this time i though CS was brought about because there was no online playability for HL. go figure ...
 Sifandor
02-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I wonder if the server setup will be like it is not with battelfront the stand alone server if not that might suck cause i dont think anyone want to sacrafice thier game so everyone can have a server.
 El Sitherino
02-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Uhm... you can start a server and play in it in BF.

Anyway, I believe this will be set up more like UT, considering it uses the UT engine.
 Sifandor
02-16-2005, 5:23 PM
UT? and...... I mean like where you can creat and run a dedicated server on window instead of a PC server
 El Sitherino
02-16-2005, 6:25 PM
Yeah, run a dedicated server, then just click back into the game. And you can play on your dedicated server.
 Sifandor
02-17-2005, 4:43 AM
sweet...........Ive never heard of a game where you can play your own dedicated server before that will be awsome. For battlefront i was using only my laptop to use a dedicated server that i could get into and playing the game on my good PC. im not going to host or anything because my computer wont be able to handle it on dont think, sweet......
At least ther shouldn't be a shortage in servers.
 coupes.
02-17-2005, 5:05 AM
If you play on your "dedicated" server, then it's not a dedicated server anymore, is it ? Isn't that the whole purpose of a dedicated server ?
 Sifandor
02-17-2005, 5:09 AM
Originally posted by coupes.
If you play on your "dedicated" server, then it's not a dedicated server anymore, is it ? Isn't that the whole purpose of a dedicated server ?

That is what i was thinking allthough it is very possible. for example say in a game that is not dedicated. You can be playing kick some one.....use adminisrative opstions, what ever. with this maybe you wont be able to do that unless you go back to your server options and use the admin opstions their. Maybe when you are playing in your own server you are just like an outsider with now power. could be idk...guess we'll just have to see..
 adillon
02-17-2005, 6:50 AM
running a dedicated server (and i'm talking from my JK2 experience) puts the game into a console which you can then minimize. you'll need to start up a second session of the game and connect to your server (via IP address, server browser, etc) in order to play on it.

as for admin powers within your server, you'll need to set up an admin password via your server configs. after joining the game, you can then login using the proper console command(s), and be able to kick/ban/etc to your heart's content.
 El Sitherino
02-17-2005, 7:25 AM
Originally posted by coupes.
If you play on your "dedicated" server, then it's not a dedicated server anymore, is it ? Isn't that the whole purpose of a dedicated server ? It's still dedicated because even after you leave the game the server is still running so long as you have a constant connection to the internet.

Originally posted by adillon
running a dedicated server (and i'm talking from my JK2 experience) puts the game into a console which you can then minimize. you'll need to start up a second session of the game and connect to your server (via IP address, server browser, etc) in order to play on it.

Exactly. That's how it is in a majority of games.
 Sifandor
02-18-2005, 1:50 AM
dont people only usually play dedicated servers though?
 El Sitherino
02-18-2005, 2:30 AM
Originally posted by Sifandor
dont people only usually play dedicated servers though? Most, but not all. Why? I don't really see where they question came from.
 Sifandor
02-18-2005, 3:15 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Most, but not all. Why? I don't really see where they question came from.

eh, i dont know either...

Just wonderin.. lol....
 coupes.
02-18-2005, 3:17 AM
Thanks for your answers guys, as you probably have guessed, I've never set up a server, or a dedicated serverfor that matter. My understanding was that dedicated severs were used instead of "normal" servers to get better performances overall, so I didn't really see the point in setting one up if you still played on it...
 Kurgan
02-18-2005, 3:34 AM
Originally posted by adillon
if my memory serves me right, half-life was never playable online. HL2 is playable online now (HL2 deathmatch) but isn't fully tuned, is still lacking proper animations for some aspects, and still has some bugs that need to be worked out.

If memory serves, Half Life had standard deathmatch (and a few options) right out of the box like every other FPS, but with subsequent patches and map packs (officially released) Team Fortress Classic was added. Then came the mods which became commercial expansions for HL, like Counter Strike. It's a bit confusing because some of the more popular mods became commercial. The same thing happened incidentally with UT. The publisher (Valve for HL, Epic for UT) paid certain mod groups to finish and release their projects in a box.
 Kurgan
02-18-2005, 3:37 AM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is how its referred to:

A "listen server" is when you're just running the game and people can join. It's non-dedicated. If you exit the game, it's over and everybody is disconnected.

A "dedicated" server can be on your own box or a seperate box, but it's the one where it's a console window that can be minimized. It is supposed to save resources by not having to render all the 3-D stuff in real time, however you can still join your own.

Usually running a Dedicated Server requires a little more processing power than a listen server, but with powerful machines it's not such a big deal to join your own on the same machine.

The thing is most pc gamers run windows as an operating system, but use a Linux dedicated server (on a linux box they have or on a rental server), due to issues of stability (and Linux is free) and because most people don't have a super high speed connection necessary to run a big server.

Plus and the fact that if you surf the net or do anything online while running the server in the background, the players get lag as a result.
 El Sitherino
02-18-2005, 3:52 AM
Pretty much, yeah.
 Vagabond
02-18-2005, 4:51 AM
Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game too :cool:
 Sifandor
02-21-2005, 10:31 AM
I hopw IGN's review isnt entirely true because i would like this game to be the best on ei have, I am not a hardcore gamer or anything but i know a good game when i see it. I have not had ALOt of experience with games so i have not see the greatest of them but i think this one will be one of my best.:bdroid2: Who is this guy?
 Kurgan
02-23-2005, 12:06 AM
It's a battledroid from The Phantom Menace. And a greater nerd than I can tell you what kind of Battle droid...
 ZBomber
02-23-2005, 2:21 AM
Another review has been released, and again, multiplayer does not seem to satisfy.
 El Sitherino
02-23-2005, 2:25 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Another review has been released, and again, multiplayer does not seem to satisfy. They said it was good, but not revolutionary or anything spectacular.
 ZBomber
02-23-2005, 2:28 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
They said it was good, but not revolutionary or anything spectacular.

I think people just assumed that a squad based Star Wars game would have a revolutionary MP. I thought it'd be *sorta* revolutionary...
Page: 1 of 2