Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Getting Started

Page: 1 of 1
 Iain12
02-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey, I want to start mapping for JA. I have Radiant, Pakscape and stuff. Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial to get me started please?
 Nokill
02-06-2005, 1:49 AM
you can find a lot of that on othere topics aboud the same ;)
if your smart you will look for topics whit the same kind of topic name
good luck on your mapping
 demo
02-06-2005, 7:45 AM
 wedge2211
02-06-2005, 9:32 AM
RichDiesal is a bit old, a tiny bit misleading, and written for Jedi Outcast, but the basic principles are covered really well and it's certainly enough to get you started. You won't run into problems with his inaccuracies until you're well on your way. :)

There are also plenty of other forums to check out, such as levelsource.com and map-review.com. Map-Review also has some specific tutorials when you get beyond basic principles and want to learn some other cute tricks.
 demo
02-06-2005, 10:08 AM
then there's you tuts on botrouting it was very easy:D

http://map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorials) thoose are pretty good but do richdiesal

www.map-review.com)

i suggest before you start doing a map goto there or jk3filesand see what they want and don't want

i prefer map review over jk3files because they're more detailed
 mergatroid
02-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
RichDiesal is a bit old, a tiny bit misleading, and written for Jedi Outcast, but the basic principles are covered really well and it's certainly enough to get you started. You won't run into problems with his inaccuracies until you're well on your way. :)

There are also plenty of other forums to check out, such as levelsource.com and map-review.com. Map-Review also has some specific tutorials when you get beyond basic principles and want to learn some other cute tricks.

Perhaps someone could write official "map-review" tuts for all the basics.
 wedge2211
02-06-2005, 6:24 PM
Don't think we haven't considered that--but nobody seems to want to spend the time!
 Nokill
02-06-2005, 8:41 PM
Q3 has gotten old now it won't be long bevore Q4 comes and nobody whants to make a tutorial for this game mapping anymore
 wedge2211
02-07-2005, 6:56 AM
Ah, Q4 will most likely be based on the same basic principles. A Q3 tut would only have to be modified, not rewritten, to fit Q4.

The real question is when a Q4 Star Wars game would come along, because without THAT, this community is headed downhill. (Well, maybe Republic Commando will help, but with that I've found a game that my computer can't run...$&@# pixel shader 1.1...)
 mergatroid
02-07-2005, 8:21 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Don't think we haven't considered that--but nobody seems to want to spend the time!

I wouldn't mind trying, but yeah, time would be hard.
 demo
02-07-2005, 4:34 PM
the problem with Q4 would be asuch a grhpical jump mapping would become a lot more complicated and annoying
Page: 1 of 1