Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PC Demo Info *demo spoilers*

Page: 1 of 1
 shukrallah
01-26-2005, 4:56 PM
Ive been lurking around the LA forum, and found some "info" that you may, or may not know. I breifly looked around this forum but didn't see anyone say anything about what I am about to say so here is it. If its wrong, sorry... if its been posted... sorry.

The PC Demo is OUT! Umm.. in a magazine in Germany. Tough stuff for us. Its a completly different level other than in the X-Box level. So... play both to get a large portion of RC experience before the game is released.

It takes place on Kashyyke, with trandoshans and wookies. Ive heard the trandoshans can fly! Kinda weaird, but yeah... fly. Also, General Greivous (spelling?) supposidly makes an appearence.

Some german dude uploaded the demo, but the link was shut down (I assume) well.. it didn't work. The apparent file size is 420 MBs.

There was another rumor going around that the demo was going to be released online today, wednesday, Jan 26, 2005. Didn't happen, although this wasn't official.

Another unofficial rumor is that the demo will be released the first week of February. Lets keep our fingers crossed, but don't let your hopes be dashed because this is only a rumor. But hey, if they have a PC demo with a german magazine then why won't they upload the thing online?!

Well, thats all the info I have. Feel free to discuss and add to this guys.

Like I said, I can't verify any of that is 100% true, so if its false, don't kill me. :p

Can't wait for the demo.

Dumb 56k... 420 MBs. That will take like... 3 days. :(

-lukeskywalker1
 Darth_ToMeR
01-27-2005, 7:25 AM
Edit: hehe, they disabled it.
 Prime
01-27-2005, 7:48 AM
I think I'll wait for a official demo. :)
 txa1265
01-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Prime
I think I'll wait for a official demo. :) Aw c'mon, where's your sense of adventure ... think of the viruses you could pick up?!?!

Mike
 ZBomber
01-27-2005, 10:18 AM
I'd wait guys, could be unsafe. I wouldn't google it, and if I come across a safe (legal) link, I'll post it here. :)
 Darth_ToMeR
01-27-2005, 10:23 AM
If that's a Demo, why did LucasArts disabled the downloads link? They didn't release it yet?
 ZBomber
01-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Because it's piracy, even though the demo only socted 5 dollars (or so) for the magazine.

Or maybe the magazine's demo was not official, probably the first though.
 tommygunner
01-27-2005, 11:05 AM
yea kinda weird... well i still can't wait for the demo! :D
 LordMalak
01-27-2005, 11:16 AM
I just got it. Its Friggin' Awsome!
 tommygunner
01-27-2005, 12:15 PM
ur in germany? :D :confused:
 shukrallah
01-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Nah, I don't think it was illegal for them to upload the demo, but I think the host might get mad because its 420 MBs.. and a few thousand star wars fans could all start downloading at the same time.

Think about it, most of the people who started the download said they got to around 45%. Thats... uh... *gets out calculator* .... *counts on fingers* .... ummm.... oh... 1 ... 2.. 3... oh um, 189 Megabytes roughly. Thats a lot of bandwidth for one file.

(420/100 = 4.2 * 45 = 189) Well, thats how I got 189, could be wrong, but who cares? This is a demo thread not math class.

The thing I am wondering is, if the germans have a demo, then lucasarts has it completed. So whats the hold up? Why not throw it on their server!?!?
 ZBomber
01-27-2005, 5:54 PM
They already changed the release date enough. :D And the demo is only a certain level, not the whole game.
 El Sitherino
01-27-2005, 6:04 PM
Not to mention the demo is a bit unpolished version of the game.
 shukrallah
01-28-2005, 5:11 PM
Yeah, I know it is only a certain level. But if LucasArts is able to burn it on CDs and send it to Germany, why can't they upload it on their server? At least send it to File Planet and places like that!
 Prime
01-28-2005, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Aw c'mon, where's your sense of adventure ... think of the viruses you could pick up?!?!

Mike I was thinking more of the leaked Jedi Academy demo where force lightning was an instant kill. It was kind of funny though...
 Sabretooth
01-28-2005, 8:48 PM
Nobody said it was a playable demo... :indif:
 shukrallah
01-29-2005, 4:53 PM
Check it:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/forum.jspa?forumID=43&start=0)

Either LA is blind, or they don't care. Either way, the demo found its own way out... theres like 10 threads saying DEMO OUT! GET LINK HERE! ... etc.

Im sure they would have stopped it if they didn't want it out...

I would get a DL link, but Im not as adventurous as txa1265.

I was thinking more of the leaked Jedi Academy demo where force lightning was an instant kill. It was kind of funny though...

Demo or beta? I don't remember the lightning doing that in the demo. :-\
 Nokill
01-30-2005, 6:07 AM
are there no faster links for downloading the demo?
 El Sitherino
01-30-2005, 6:31 AM
The PC demo rules.

*thrashes trandoshans*
 ZBomber
01-30-2005, 6:47 AM
I'll start the dl, but it'll be awhile before it's done....
 El Sitherino
01-30-2005, 6:59 AM
Be careful, you'll get bloodthirsty with those trandoshans when you run up and cut them.
 sheared
01-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Just finished playing the demo that was included on the CD in my most recent Computer Gaming World magazine, and definitely have to say that LucasArts seems to have a real winner with this one. Very nice indeed.
 Kurgan
01-30-2005, 1:41 PM
Hopefully the various reputable websites out there won't wait until next Friday (when LucasArts usually does major updates) to post mirrors!

I'll see if I can find it when I get home late, late tonight.

To those who did get it, good hunting.. post your impressions!

Just bear in mind, if any of this stuff is in any way illegal (ie: unofficial versions, leaked betas), please don't post about it here. Only Demos sanctioned by LucasArts and the RC development team will be promoted here.

If you recall Jedi Academy "beta" was unofficially and illegally leaked. It gave a false impression of the full game, and was basically warez. It was our policy to crack down on that here, and we'll do the same for anything similar for Republic Commando. So be careful...

Let's hear your impressions, those of you who have been lucky enough to play RC demo on the pc (USE YOUR SPOILER TAGS & WARNINGS!).
 shukrallah
01-30-2005, 2:06 PM
Im sure that this is 100% Legal, and Official, otherwise LucasArts would not be allowing this to be spread accross there own forums.
 coupes.
01-30-2005, 4:31 PM
I gotta say the demo is really good... a little short for my taste, but still very impressive. The sqad is very easy to command and the weapons are various and generally really cool. I can'T wait to play the whole thing. :D
 tommygunner
01-30-2005, 5:17 PM
i found a link for a demo... torrent or something... it sucked... 15+ hours... it was annoying... i am gonna wait for an official 1...
 Oidar
01-30-2005, 7:26 PM
I played through the demo floating around the net just to get a feel for the game. There isn't really anything spoiler worthy in it, though some people may argue differently, still I won't give anything away. This is just my 2 bits on it.

The demo itself is good. I'd say freakin awesome possibly even one of the best FPS demos I've played in a while. Its very smooth looking, has excellent game play and great AI. The game play is quite face paced and steady, Squad AI is very good as well, squad mates take cover when being shot at and shoot back when the opportunity arises. Close combat is excellent your wrist blade is quite effective on most enemies some of the larger ones are a littler harder to bring down but can still be dropped you just need work on them a little. Controls are easy to pickup and simple to navigate through. Objectives are easy to recognize (or at least they are in the demo) and don't leave you guessing like other games where you get to a point and wonder to yourself,
"How do I get through that locked door when I have nothing to open it and no way to get around it? Oh thats right, I have to go clear back the the start of the freakin level to pull a lever that I couldn't pull whe I started cause I hadn't completed an objective thats half way through the freakin level when I started." So yea none of that mindless run around stupidly BS.
I beat the demo a couple times and punched in some of the cheat codes to see what some of the other weapons were like, I was quite impressed though some weapons didn't seem to do the damage I expected them to but then you can play in the arguement, its just a demo and things could very much have changed since the demo was done making the current version very different from what we see. All in all its a solid demo, yes like people are saying it was quick to beat (15min approx) but still offers up some fun game play and a chance to get familiar with things.
I can't wait for March first this game is very much something to look forward to.
 ZBomber
01-31-2005, 10:48 AM
It just crashed one me when I picked up a gun, dunno if it's a one time thing, but I'm gonna wait an hour or so before I try again, then I'll sumbit a review.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by tommygunner
i found a link for a demo... torrent or something... it sucked... 15+ hours... it was annoying... i am gonna wait for an official 1...

You've never used Bit torrent have you?

You have to wait awhile before the speed goes up. It took me an hour so it shouldn't take you much more.
 Ch1cago88
01-31-2005, 12:28 PM
I just played it and beat it and I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Your AI partners save your ass a lot by healing you while your on the ground lieing dead. I highly rec. all of you give it a try. And your Wookie allies kick some major ass in hard mode. The Wookies are great allies throwing enemies to the wall and stuff. This game is going to be great! I cant wait for it to be released.
Oh heres the link to get the demo if you havent played it yet. I think the demo got leaked out or somthing because the Offical site still hasent released it yet. And since its a leaked demo (or I think it is) it takes about 2 hours to download but well worth the wait.

Here---> ftp://70.85.73.26/RepublicCommandoDemo.exe
 ZBomber
01-31-2005, 1:38 PM
Check the other thread, it is actually a German Magazine exclsuive.... (or was, rather. :))

Glad you enjoyed it. :)
 El Sitherino
01-31-2005, 1:47 PM
MERGE'D!
 Kurgan
01-31-2005, 2:27 PM
So is the demo in German then?

Btw, I don't know what it is with the Germans and Star Wars games, but they must be serious fans, possibly with connections, 'cause they always seem to get this stuff a bit earlier than the rest of the world.
; )
 Ch1cago88
01-31-2005, 3:10 PM
No the link I posted above is in english.
 El Sitherino
01-31-2005, 3:18 PM
The demo is english, and as far as I know, LA's demos are usually english only. *shrugs*
 ZBomber
01-31-2005, 3:20 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
So is the demo in German then?

Btw, I don't know what it is with the Germans and Star Wars games, but they must be serious fans, possibly with connections, 'cause they always seem to get this stuff a bit earlier than the rest of the world.
; )

It's English. I actually didn't see ANYTHING in German, which was kinda weird.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-31-2005, 3:21 PM
The JA demo came in Spanish, German, French and English. If my memory serves me right.
 ZBomber
01-31-2005, 3:29 PM
Anyone think they'll release an offical one after this, or d oyou think we'll have to go with the German Magazine one? I'm thinking the latter.
 Kurgan
01-31-2005, 8:05 PM
I think we'll hold off on posting the pc demo review officially until we hear from LA or see it at least mentioned in their site or another "official" source like AOL, Fileplanet or gamespot, etc.

The official site has in the past not been the first to post their demos/trailers, so hopefully that's the case here. But we'll respect LA's wishes if they don't want to do a mainstream release just yet.

If this somehow turned out to be different than some "official" demo released later, we'd have to scrap our review and do a new one anyway, so as to avoid confusing people.

Still, it's true, LA's forums are covered with threads about the pc demo, including links to download it, and they don't seem to be cracking down....

PS: Just poking around it sounds like the German magazine is called "Gamestar DVD" and the issue was released on newsstands as it were on January 26th. Subscribers may have gotten their copies early of course. But if it's just been released on the internet as of Sunday? *checks thread post* Or maybe as early as the 26th...
 El Sitherino
01-31-2005, 8:45 PM
A subscriber got it the 25 and it was posted early that morning. <_< I was on recon >_> stop looking at me.
 adillon
02-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I think we'll hold off on posting the pc demo review officially until we hear from LA or see it at least mentioned in their site or another "official" source like AOL, Fileplanet or gamespot, etc.
fileplanet has got it up for our downloading pleasure!

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/149876.shtml)
 ZBomber
02-01-2005, 10:43 AM
I think I have a virus from the demo, my forums are ****ed up now, and I am the only one who could get in there.

Be careful where you download it, fileplanet is your best bet.
 tommygunner
02-01-2005, 10:50 AM
crap u have to pay... i am gonna wait for an official demo...:(
 adillon
02-01-2005, 11:14 AM
 Kurgan
02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
FileFront and FilePlanet have it?

Fine, it's official.

Go ahead and post it up guys, and get those reviews sent in.

LucasArts wouldn't let those sites post it if it wasn't sanctioned...

Fileplanet does NOT require you to pay! You simply have to create an account (free) and then when you login, free servers appear at the bottom. I dislike fileplanet too for the often long waits, but it is still free!

In fact, I think to avoid confusion we should have an "official" demo thread here. So if nobody minds I'll close this and open the new one... post your *working* links there:

Official PC Demo Thread (*demo spoilers*) (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143722)
 tommygunner
02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
OMFG i dnt have 15+ hour dowload time... i have about 40 minutes... hmm that will have to satisfy me...:D
Page: 1 of 1