Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modeling new areas

Page: 1 of 1
 Teancum
01-10-2005, 2:10 PM
Sorry, I'm sure it's been asked before. I'm just wondering if it's possible at all. The ability to actually create brand new worlds would be great.
 Doc Valentine
01-10-2005, 3:22 PM
Believe me my friend we have been looking for the solution to this problem for a LONG time. We are getting closer though! Just a while back we figured out how to model light sabers and placeables. Im sure that in time one of our more intelligent people here at Holowan will find out how, then the box that this comunity together will be destroyed, and we will be able to do anything. I believe that it is just what we need to bring the modding community back together. Sounds like a good quest eh?
 kampher
01-10-2005, 4:09 PM
I wouldnt say the community is dead, just today I tried my hand at porting my favorite mod from kotor 1, to kotor 2....

It hasnt worked...... But im getting help, so maybe tommorow :)

anyway, If even "I" am trying to mod now, then that must show that the community is still alive and kickin.
 RedHawke
01-10-2005, 6:08 PM
Originally posted by Teancum
Sorry, I'm sure it's been asked before. I'm just wondering if it's possible at all. The ability to actually create brand new worlds would be great.
Unfortunately, totally new areas aren't possible in KOTOR, we just have the ability to rearrange the pre existing modules to "simulate" a new place. That is about the limit we are able to do... though that might be different in KOTOR II:TSL. :D
 Teancum
01-12-2005, 5:18 AM
What about retexturing different areas in order to give a different look. Will the new textures overwrite the old?
 90SK
01-12-2005, 6:55 AM
I believe its possible to hex edit a module to give it new textures, but it would take a very long time, and it would look very strange.
 TemporaryTomato
01-12-2005, 8:02 AM
Originally posted by C. Skye
I believe its possible to hex edit a module to give it new textures, but it would take a very long time, and it would look very strange.
Why would it look strange? :confused:
GSCCC has retextured his modules, they look fine.
 RedHawke
01-12-2005, 6:37 PM
^^^^
True, but the download sizes the Mod, with all new textures, would likely prohibit those with 56k connections from using the mod. All those .tga files add up! :p
 TemporaryTomato
01-13-2005, 3:40 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
^^^^
True, but the download sizes the Mod, with all new textures, would likely prohibit those with 56k connections from using the mod. All those .tga files add up! :p
Sure, but wouldn't new area models be even bigger? :confused:
 ChAiNz.2da
01-13-2005, 4:08 AM
Just so there's no confusion (mostly on my part ;) ) are we talking re-texturing or re-skinning (ie-changing colors and such)?

If it's re-skinning, it would affect the size of the file (mod), like what RedHawke had said. Since you would have to pack the changed skins in your mod to override the game's original skins...

Re-texturing would require re-modeling, or extracting the model rather to assigning it a unique identifier correct?(genuinely asking here, I'm not sure...kinda like creating a unique saber right?) Plus having to pack the tga's along with the models would make for quite a huge download depending on which and how many areas were included...

::EDIT ::
Ummm..mindless dribble above, pay no mind to my rambling... I get it now ;) hehe
 Doc Valentine
01-13-2005, 4:39 AM
Hmmmm, if you are reffering to retexturing in a sence that the change of the face texture on the module sections then i would have to correct you. You see, when changing the face of a porition of terrain such as the terrain on dantooine, you get the tga file LDA_grass01 or something and retexture it to you liking. There are no models required or model extracting. Unless you are speaking of something else?

-GSCCC
 TemporaryTomato
01-13-2005, 4:51 AM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Just so there's no confusion (mostly on my part ;) ) are we talking re-texturing or re-skinning (ie-changing colors and such)?

If it's re-skinning, it would affect the size of the file (mod), like what RedHawke had said. Since you would have to pack the changed skins in your mod to override the game's original skins...

Re-texturing would require re-modeling, or extracting the model rather to assigning it a unique identifier correct?(genuinely asking here, I'm not sure...kinda like creating a unique saber right?) Plus having to pack the tga's along with the models would make for quite a huge download depending on which and how many areas were included...
Uh, I'm not sure what you mean... :confused:
If area models can't be edited, opening them in max would be pretty pointless...

I believe reskinning and retexturing is the same thing btw. Recoloring would be "changing colors". :p

The "modifier" you're speaking of... could it be UVW mapping(the texture layout)?
There's no reason to change this afaik. They are good for the most part. *cough*lightsaber*cough*

Maybe you could open the model in max to export a "clean" uvw map to edit(if texturing something from scratch).

I think you just added to the confusion. :lol:
 ChAiNz.2da
01-13-2005, 5:44 AM
Originally posted by TemporaryTomato I think you just added to the confusion. :lol:

WooHoo! :grnbounc: hehe

Nevermind my rambling, I now see what's trying to be done after many, many read-overs ;)
 Darkkender
01-13-2005, 7:39 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
^^^^

Yes but as one of the greatest Sith Lords Ever would say.

[Darth Vader]*Thick Raspy Deep Voice*We have ways of getting it downloaded.[/Darth Vader]
 Dak Vesser
01-14-2005, 3:38 PM
Speaking of Max, if you talking about G-max, don't kotor Mdls need to be converted to ascii in order for g-max to read them?

I tried to get mdlops to convert some of the kotorII character head and body mdls but it couldn't read nor re-write'em at all..
 T7nowhere
01-14-2005, 4:35 PM
You can reskin a area module by hex editingthe model, The benefit to doing this would be having a new "looking area" without overriding anything in the normal game. This would require the area models plus new textures to be included in the download.

Now the big problem with doing this is the enormous amount of hex editing. You could try to use mdlops to change the Texture names this would make the proccess much quiker accept on the few area models I tried this on, All I ended up doing is making a model that crashed the game.

On the subject of TSL models. I have heard that the Xbox version uses a different model format than PC so I doubt that you could even use mdlops on xbox version KotOR models. But you also have to understand that it is incredibly unlikely that mdlops will understand TSL models at all since Obsidian has stated that they used a new model Format. So you can try to use mdlops on TSL model, But its most probable that mdlops will choke on the new model formatt and just come back with WTF!
Page: 1 of 1