Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Endor Siege

Page: 1 of 7
 monsoontide
11-28-2004, 7:51 PM
Just a quick note.
Finally after moving halfway across the world, I'm set up again.
Was going to work on some stuff for Doom3 & HL2 but find myself inspired to finish off my Siege_Endor map.

No Pix for now - I no longer have my own website.

Anyways, it will be vaguely modeled after the Battlefront map (Very vaguely).

If there's anything you'd like to see/not like to see gameplay wise in the map, let me know now, so I can incorporate it before I get too far into reworking the previous design I did.

If ya wanna know why I'm doing it - It's 'cos you can't play as a Jedi in Battlefront (As yet).

Will be including my speederbike and the unreleased Ewok Glider.

Hope there'll still be someone left to play this by the time I'm done!
 darthVADER
11-29-2004, 5:17 AM
i definetly will be

sounds cool

i hope you add an interior to the bunker
 monsoontide
11-29-2004, 6:06 PM
Yes.
SunBurn already built me a large one - but I've since lost/deleted all my previous Endor stuff, so will be starting from scratch.
It will also be a bit simpler.
 monsoontide
11-30-2004, 2:09 PM
Any suggestions on where to post screenshots?

I've just started Hacking together various exising models to make an ATST Pilot to go with this and will have to make a Rebel Commando model as well.
Also need to get my Ewok glider model put in game as a vehicle.

Teams Are:
Rebel / Rebel Commando / Rebel Pilot / Rebel General / Wookie / Jedi

Stormtrooper / Imperial Commando / ATST Pilot / Imperial Officer / Scout / Jedi
 TK-8252
11-30-2004, 2:27 PM
But there were no Jedi in the Battle of Endor... how can you have Jedi? Oh and it's spelled Wookiee. [/Spelling Nazi] :p
 monsoontide
11-30-2004, 5:46 PM
Well there wouldn't be any point doing the map without Jedi. I could just go and play Battlefront again.

Still Working Out The map layout. I've tried various designs but I haven't been happy with many of them.
 MadCow1989
11-30-2004, 8:33 PM
it aint fun with jedis against troopers its like an Imperial is in the corner and a jedi is pushing him each time he tries to stand up and the jedi is Laughing

The Horror! The Horror!
 monsoontide
11-30-2004, 9:30 PM
Will wait til the maps been Beta tested before finalizing team structure.
 Neon
12-01-2004, 6:51 AM
wow, didn't knew you were still ou here :o
 monsoontide
12-01-2004, 8:28 AM
I've finally managed to get set up again and while I was going to do some Doom3 & HalfLife2 stuff, those games are sooooo expensive here (New Zealand) I just can't be bothered for now (Not that I don't have some projects in mind).

Still, I'm close to finalizing the map layout for this Endor map - when I can find somewhere to put Pix, I'll post them.
 Lil Killa
12-01-2004, 10:18 AM
You could go to freewbs and get some space or you could send your screenshots to me and I'll put them up on my webspace. I'll PM you my email if you're interested.
 monsoontide
12-01-2004, 2:22 PM
LK, That would be cool. Thanks.

Finally found some building references that I needed and Sunburn was able to find the interior map of the imperial buker that he had worked on - though I'm only going to use some small sections of it just to keep the level flowing.

Did a bit more work on the ATST Pilot as well, fixing his boots and adding some detail to the helmet and the pouches on his legs. Still have to add the pouches on his arm and the communicator on his arm. Then it will be texturing time - setting it up and doing it PROPERLY is one of the bits that takes the longest. I've seen some suprisingly shoddy efforts recently...
 Neon
12-02-2004, 4:14 AM
What happended with your old site?
 LightNinja
12-02-2004, 5:39 AM
do you have in mind finishing the nexu creature? (ya that cat of ep2)
 monsoontide
12-02-2004, 7:54 AM
My old site is gone 'cos I've recently moved from Los Angeles back to New Zealand. They're really stingy with the internet here - $60/mo for 2Mb broadband DSL access with 1 e-mail address and no web hosting.

No, I don't think I'll finish the Nexu - It wasn't working out as well as I wanted.

Anyways, just finsihed reworking the interior of the bunker - there's still stuff to be done but it's about 80% complete (Just have to add some detailing, effects and lighting.)

Will get some pix for Lil Killa to post as soon as I get a chance. Gotta go to work you know ;)
 Neon
12-02-2004, 8:22 AM
Bah, that's worse. Too bad about the nexu, I really hoped the reek and nexu would come out some day.
 monsoontide
12-02-2004, 4:57 PM
But would anyone be around to use it?

Everyone seems to have moved on to more recent games.
 LightNinja
12-03-2004, 8:55 AM
Originally posted by monsoontide
But would anyone be around to use it?

Everyone seems to have moved on to more recent games.
There is still much people playing jk3, and if you need help with the animations of the nexu just tell me
 Lil Killa
12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by LightNinja
There is still much people playing jk3, and if you need help with the animations of the nexu just tell me

What ever happened to that "other project"? :P
 LightNinja
12-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Lil Killa
What ever happened to that "other project"? :P `
it is done but i dont know why the hell it spawns like 5 meters up from the floor :confused:
 monsoontide
12-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Hurrah! Successfully made an .ase model from Radiant!!!

Not really hard - just haven't done it before.

Will try and get some screenshots to Lil Killa today, so he can post them.
 Lil Killa
12-03-2004, 4:50 PM
Originally posted by LightNinja
`
it is done but i dont know why the hell it spawns like 5 meters up from the floor :confused:

hmm..... odd indeed...

I'll be looking out for the shots Monsoon:)
 Nokill
12-04-2004, 8:03 AM
if you need a bunker for endor i stil have one that has never been used you can have it if you whant
 monsoontide
12-04-2004, 8:49 AM
Thanks Nokill, but I've already done the bunker + associated structures.

Sent Lil Killa the pix so hope he can get them posted today...
 Lil Killa
12-04-2004, 9:09 AM
old shots removed
 monsoontide
12-04-2004, 9:48 AM
Opps repeated myself a bit there...
Anyways, haven't started on the trees yet - just working out a way to make it look like they go on forever using a portal sky in combination with "real" trees in forground.

Am currently woking on getting all the major structures in place, then will populate the forest with trees and appropraite foliage.

Red glowy thing on top of bunker and in generator room are CONTROL POINTS - like Battlefront, that you have to capture. Each one is a Siege Objective that once captured, will allow your team to spawn there.

Generator room and generator control room originally modeled by SunBurn for me. (With considerable fixing by me - still have to fix those control panels too).
 wedge2211
12-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Nolight compile, anyone?

If you move the texture on the control point patches up just a tad, you won't have those wierd floating rings abovee the gradients.

The outside is really hard to judge without tree/foliage models in place, and that is the most bizarre skybox I have ever seen.
 monsoontide
12-04-2004, 11:21 AM
That's because I haven't done a skybox yet!!!
These are just textures I've put on there to try and convey the feel of a redwood forest.
It's all temp until I've got the Hero tree models & textures built.

So don't fret - it WILL look much better when finished!
 Nokill
12-04-2004, 11:50 AM
well it looks nice is there also a swoop run in it?
 Neon
12-05-2004, 7:28 AM
That's really gonna be cool, but is that atst pilot model in the map, or can you download it somewhere?
 monsoontide
12-05-2004, 8:09 AM
Well, the ATST Pilot will be included with the map - but I'll have it for download before then as well (Hopefully...)
 monsoontide
12-08-2004, 10:28 AM
OK finally managed to get some more done last night - the company Christmas party and resulting er... tiredness meant I haven't really made any progress for the last few days.

Anyway have mostly finished of the main Imperial Structures - just losts of detailing / sounds / etc to add. Also been working on making some custome forest textures - that's the hard part trying to make it so the forest doesn't just end in at the abrupt wall of the skybox or as is more usual with outdoor areas - a big huge impassable hill that runs the edge of the map.

ATST Pilot almost finished - just a few more tweaks and he'll be ready to bring into the game (Anyone?)
 wedge2211
12-08-2004, 4:27 PM
You could pull off a forest boundary if you have trees and brush (an alpha shader on an endcap snaking its way along the ground, perhaps?) that get gradually denser as you enter the forest, until they get dense enough for you to just lay down a clip brush.
 monsoontide
12-08-2004, 5:02 PM
I'm gonna try a combo of real trees (ie. 3D models) combined with a layer of 2D trees then a portal sky featuring more 2D trees and a sky shader with a dense forest background image!!!
Still in the testing stages.

Ewok village is next major structure I'm working on.

Hope to have some more pix this weekend.
 Pahricida
12-09-2004, 9:28 AM
I'm gonna try a combo of real trees (ie. 3D models) combined with a layer of 2D trees then a portal sky featuring more 2D trees and a sky shader with a dense forest background image!!!
Still in the testing stages.

Ewok village is next major structure I'm working on.

Hope to have some more pix this weekend.

yes this is also how I want to realise my latest map.
The disadvantage just is that these models have to be really low- poly.
At least mine are because you can't really block them with vis tricks since they are in the portal sky.

What about some screens on the AT-ST Pilot?
 monsoontide
12-10-2004, 2:55 PM
Just sent some updated pix to Lil Killa, so hopefully he can post them.
Have started work on making a variety of Low poly redwoods for use in map. Even so, with all the foliage and whatnot, you'll need a fast machine + fast internet connection, though I'll do my best to optimize it.
Anyways, just trying to get the Imperial half of the map to a working state, then I'll do the rebel section. Then after a bit of ALPHA testing, I'll finish detailing the whole thing.
Haven't yet added the portal sky - hope to get time to do that tomorrow.
Tonight there's a big Christams Show at the park I'm obliged to attend.
 Lil Killa
12-11-2004, 6:02 PM
Just sent some updated pix to Lil Killa, so hopefully he can post them.
Have started work on making a variety of Low poly redwoods for use in map. Even so, with all the foliage and whatnot, you'll need a fast machine + fast internet connection, though I'll do my best to optimize it.
Anyways, just trying to get the Imperial half of the map to a working state, then I'll do the rebel section. Then after a bit of ALPHA testing, I'll finish detailing the whole thing.
Haven't yet added the portal sky - hope to get time to do that tomorrow.
Tonight there's a big Christams Show at the park I'm obliged to attend.

hmm.... never recieved them. Try sending them again.
 Lil Killa
12-11-2004, 7:44 PM
old shots removed
 monsoontide
12-11-2004, 9:03 PM
No, no number 11. (That was in the last batch).

have the portal sky working (Mostly - just a few hiccups to iron out).
 Nokill
12-11-2004, 10:51 PM
looks pretty good =)
 wedge2211
12-12-2004, 10:15 AM
The fog is icky. Thin it out a little, make it a light brownish-green fog and add whatever key it is to the worldspawn that makes fog not start being drawn till some distance away from the player. That'll go better with the forest scene.
 monsoontide
12-12-2004, 2:08 PM
It's really hard trying to get some depth to the forest.
I'm working on some custome textures for the skybox.

I've been fiddling with the fog for ages.
BUT - (At least for me) fog doesn't seem to draw in front of a sky shader.
Anyone know a parameter (or shader line) to fix that problem?

Also using a portal sky is problematic - in as much as I can see through the side of the map into the underground bunker!!!
Getting the atmosphere of this thing right is going to require a LOT of tinkering.
Funilly enough, the grass sprite shader I'm using at the moment won't show up when in first / 3rd person view but it does when looking through the sniper scope!!!
 Lindsey
12-12-2004, 3:19 PM

Funilly enough, the grass sprite shader I'm using at the moment won't show up when in first / 3rd person view but it does when looking through the sniper scope!!!

I've had that problem alot too, not quite sure how to fix it, but you might try making a small brush out of the texture, as the sprite seemed to work when the brush was relatively small.

On an related note, Monsoon, any chance I could borrow those tree models your using? They look kick ass, and I was planning on making a small Endor map for the Movie Battles 2 mod, though its hard to find any Endor like trees these days :confused:
 monsoontide
12-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Hmmm. you can borrow the trees... after I've done a bit more work on them - they're not quite right yet (Currently it's just one tree as well - I need to make a couple more variations.)
 Pahricida
12-14-2004, 12:48 PM
after all where are the pictures? :D
 monsoontide
12-14-2004, 3:17 PM
In the immortal words of Rgoer, "I got phonged up metashaded terrain working."

So the outdoor areas are starting to take shape now and will look er... natural???
 monsoontide
12-14-2004, 5:37 PM
Also, I was asked to do a "better" AT-ST model and since I'm doing this Endor Map, thought it would be as good a time as any. The Raven model isn't really too bad (Though the animation is er... not acurate), but there's a few tweaks I hope to be able to make to improve on it, while still trying to maintain a low poly count.

Will release the AT-ST Pilot and AT-ST as a separate pack as well as with the map.
 TK-425
12-18-2004, 4:02 AM
Hi monsoon, thanks for doing the AT-ST! I will get some reference pictures up soon. Untill then check out www.imageshack.us).
 monsoontide
12-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Won't get a chance to start on it (AT-ST) 'til after Xmas though...

I'm just sending Lil Killa the latest screenshots.

Having trouble creating the right atmosphere...
I want a cross between having fog and being able to see the skybox.
(Anyone know what the nocarve option in a fog shader means?)

Have laid down the foundation for the Ewok village but haven't really started working it yet.

I've redone the interior layout of the bunker and the generator control room.

Also anyone know if it's possible to get sprites to generate on a terrain shader? I've made them work on the individual ground shaders but they won't show up as part of the terrain shader...
 Lil Killa
12-18-2004, 3:23 PM
Page: 1 of 7