Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Endor Siege

Page: 4 of 7
 Lindsey
04-12-2005, 12:26 AM
I too would like to see these images, im trying to build a rather small endor map for Movie Battles and have found no real good referance pics.

EDIT: For those who might have it, the title of the book (I think, just googled it) is: Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: The Complete Guide to the Incredible Locations from Star Wars
 Nokill
04-13-2005, 12:31 AM
yes it is the Incredible Cross Sections book only has vehicles in it
and i can't find many locations from the book on google
to bad i don't have my endor screen collection anymore :(

i coud advice to look for TYDIRIUM this also has a big number of endor stuf in it ;)
 monsoontide
04-13-2005, 9:25 PM
While I'm at it, does anyone have any reference pix of the INTERIOR of a Turbo Laser Tower?

I've reworked the exterior to look more like a proper Turbo Laser Tower, but I wanted to make it so you could go inside...

Thanks

monsoontide
 monsoontide
04-16-2005, 8:00 PM
OK, snuck into the local bookstore with my digital camera and took a snapshot of the cross sections Ewok page!
Plus found the old stage floorplan layout for the village, so using a combination of the two, I'm working on the Ewok village now and am happier with it now.
Still a lot to do on it and am not sure if it will compile yet!
 Lindsey
04-17-2005, 1:00 AM
any chance you could post those images here or PM them to me at some point?
 monsoontide
04-17-2005, 2:31 PM
I'll see what I can do...
 monsoontide
04-25-2005, 6:05 PM
 wedge2211
04-25-2005, 6:18 PM
What have you never tried before but could prove interesting? :P

Couple comments:

-Looks like the walkway shader has no lightmap stage. Add one! Those look way too bright.

-That fallen log in the last shot would look a lot better made out of patches. You could even make it out of patches and turn it into an ASE model to bake in a LOD if you want that.

-Finally, I think those rope rails really need some depth. Did you just texture one side of a flat patch to make them? A cylinder, even a very thin one, would look much better.
 Pontus90
04-28-2005, 1:17 PM
woah those village pics looks brilliant! hmm always when im looking at your pics Moonsoontide they are small but sometimes they are big ;/ is there a way to see them bigger? not clicking on them.
 monsoontide
05-18-2005, 6:10 AM
Was hoping to have some more screenshots and even a ALPHA release by now

BUT!

It's still a go - but have to sort out some problems with the map not compiling the lighting stage now.
 Lindsey
05-18-2005, 12:49 PM
best of luck, try to make more areas detail or you have a bad brush somewhere, I once had a map screw up the lighting cause of these little spheres that were detail trim on some things.
 wedge2211
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
What lighting problems?
 monsoontide
05-18-2005, 10:43 PM
The problem is of course, the trees.
To get it to look like a forest you need a **** load of these - otherwise it looks like really sparse and not like endor at all.
Hence, the comping time is just phenominal at the moment.

Really, I have to get the enthusiasm to go back through and rework the positions and sizes of all the trees.

Trying to make stuff look like a forest in the Quake engine is a nightmare.

If I could've had a little word to Id/Raven about the way the maps blend into the skybox!!!

So currently it looks like a forest - but I can't be arsed waiting four days for it to comp. (And there's three separate maps now!)

Need to rebuild my enthusiasm for the project.
Perhaps seeing Ep3 tonight after work will get me going again.

Still... it will get finished!
 Kalos
08-27-2005, 12:09 PM
the screens dont show!!!!! i really wanna see the screens of rebel commando. When willl the model come out? I really really really want it!
 TK-425
08-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Is this project still up and running, or dead?
 monsoontide
08-30-2005, 2:16 AM
Ha Ha!
Surprise.
Erm... it's been in hibernation for a while.
Acutally would like some help getting it finished or it may never happen.
I just don't have the time I need to get it done by myself...
It's three maps that form one big map that all link to one another.
+ I still have to finsih my Endor Rebel Soldier - so if anyone is interested in helping it would be greatly appreciated although I realize the community is a lot smaller now.

Monsoontide
:sweating:
 monsoontide
08-31-2005, 6:32 AM
I do however have another map in development that I am much happier with - it's based on a location in the "Heir To The Empire" novel by Timothy Zhan.
It's about 65% done.
Screenshots when I can.
It's so hard to make time when you have job, wife, kids & mistress!!! LOL
 TK-425
08-31-2005, 9:16 PM
You devil, you:D

Actually that wasn't appropriate, but moving on....
 Kurgan
10-08-2005, 2:11 PM
How about this one... dead or still going?

The wife kick you out yet?
 monsoontide
10-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Ha ha, funny you should mention that, as I've just managed to fix some of the map/shader problems I've been having with this one... so things should be back on track (Apart from the fact I absolutley loathe doing handrails!!! LOL) - If I can just get the Siege Battle Posts to work properly everything should be a go!
 monsoontide
10-13-2005, 6:52 PM
Alrighty!
Got a list of about 25 things to do and then part one will be ready for Alpha testing...
Mostly small stuff like fixing a few triggers and making sure all the objectives work (currently the Rebel team's all work - haven't had a chance to test the imperial team) and doing all the siege stuff - Making map, Objective Pix and Objective Icons - which kinda have to be done after you've made the map!
Only Major things are finishing all the frickin hand rails and completing the Rebel Commando model... (Currently using the Jan Ors model here)

Once part 1 is finished, then I'll finish off parts two and 3 which are not too far behind part one (about 65%-75% done!)

Screenshots after the next compile... (So hopefully by Saturday/Sunday) :D
 razorace
10-13-2005, 7:16 PM
sweet. :)
 monsoontide
10-15-2005, 8:23 PM
As per usual, I change something and the map won't comp the lighting stage any more... :(

OK - its nearly all good to go but I have one problem...
I'm currently using a func_static with the "shader switch" option set so it flips between two images.
What I really need is one that flips between 3 that I can set manually.
i.e. so it starts as neutral (white) and depending on which team activates it, changes to either red or blue.
Anyone know of a key/valu combo, shader or script I can use to do this?

So close and yet still so far....... going craaaaaazy! LOL

Will still post some pix today, but they won;t be lit and will look sucky.
 monsoontide
10-16-2005, 1:13 AM
In the entity definition for spawning NPC's, it says:

"These strings can be used to activate behaviors instead of scripts - these are checked first and so no scripts should be names with these names:
default - 0: whatever
idle - 1: Stand around, do abolutely nothing
roam - 2: Roam around, collect stuff
walk - 3: Crouch-Walk toward their goals
run - 4: Run toward their goals
standshoot - 5: Stay in one spot and shoot- duck when neccesary
standguard - 6: Wait around for an enemy
patrol - 7: Follow a path, looking for enemies
huntkill - 8: Track down enemies and kill them
evade - 9: Run from enemies
evadeshoot - 10: Run from enemies, shoot them if they hit you
runshoot - 11: Run to your goal and shoot enemy when possible
defend - 12: Defend an entity or spot?
snipe - 13: Stay hidden, shoot enemy only when have perfect shot and back turned
combat - 14: Attack, evade, use cover, move about, etc. Full combat AI - id NPC code
medic - 15: Go for lowest health buddy, hide and heal him.
takecover - 16: Find nearest cover from enemies
getammo - 17: Go get some ammo
advancefight - 18: Go somewhere and fight along the way
face - 19: turn until facing desired angles
wait - 20: do nothing
formation - 21: Maintain a formation
crouch - 22: Crouch-walk toward their goals "

What are the KEY/VALUE settings to get these to actually work?
(I know it should be KEY: spawnscript, but what's the value? Is it VALUE: medic, VALUE: medic - 15, VALUE: 15???)
And is there anything else you need to do?
Hell! are these even implemented in JKA?

Thanks
Monsoontide
 lassev
10-16-2005, 2:50 AM
Considering the func_static of different colours, should it work for both teams independently? I mean should both team be able to go there and change it to their own colour, or just the team that happens to find it first? To be more specific, should it always be first white for both team, no matter if the other has found it before, or does the first team to find it kind of lock it to their own colour?
 monsoontide
10-16-2005, 3:29 AM
Well, it would start of neutral (unowned) then it would turn eith blue or red depending on which team CURRENTLY "owns" it. Ownership can change hands several times. It would only START as white at the beginning of each round.
 monsoontide
10-16-2005, 3:46 AM
Hollow Log bridge + River objective (Currently "owned" by the Rebels).
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/6149/shot00213gk.th.jpg) (http://img427.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00213gk.jpg)

Stolen Imperial Shuttle (Currently "owned" by the Rebels).
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/6820/shot00191fc.th.jpg) (http://img427.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00191fc.jpg)

A bridge into the Ewok village.
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/474/shot00227ky.th.jpg) (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00227ky.jpg)

Running through the forest.
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/3073/shot00208gr.th.jpg) (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00208gr.jpg)

Rebel Trooper on Speeder Bike by Imperial Scout Outpost (Currently "owned" by the Imperials)
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7100/shot00275nv.th.jpg) (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00275nv.jpg)

Inside The Bunker
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/8958/shot00281bo.th.jpg) (http://img427.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00281bo.jpg)

Oh, I'm using simple 2D textures on things for two reasons 1: SPEED - 2:I'd go INSANE trying to model all those logs in RADIANT! And NO I'm not doing them as a misc_model since every platform is different and then I'd be going mad clipping everything. However as the textures were pinched from BATTLEFRONT and are rather LO-RES, I still have to take the time out to redraw them properly.
 lassev
10-16-2005, 7:25 AM
Well, it would start of neutral (unowned) then it would turn eith blue or red depending on which team CURRENTLY "owns" it. Ownership can change hands several times. It would only START as white at the beginning of each round.

So... It starts white. If a Blue team member finds it and uses it, it turns blue (or analogously to red if a Red member uses it). But if the Blue member uses it again when it's already blue, it does nothing. But if a Red member uses the blue entity, it turns red.

A neat problem you have got there... My initial instinct would be to rather use three separate entities, perhaps func_usables, rather than one entity and try to control animmaps (or something).

Func_usable seems to have a "teamuser" key for specifically Siege purposes. If you used it with scripting (or a bunch of target_activates and _deactivates) it should be possible to build a hack that would work like I described in the first paragraph of this post.

Like deactivating the one that's visible and activating the one that's invisible. The white one in the beginning should be accessible to both and would be rendered permanently inactive when used once.

Hmm... Considering the start situation scripting might be easier...

Another solution I have also used (kind of, in SP) would be to have a visible, inaccessible func_usable with 2 frame switchable animmap for boths colours. Then the actual accessible func_usables would be made of caulk and thus invisible, but usable. They would then just use the visible func_usable (or the func_static switch shader you suggested yourself). Of course this solution would also require a completely separate white brush as the empty starting piece.

Well, this is all theoretical and based on my imagination. I wouldn't even know how to test something in Siege. The only thing I can do in MP is to devmap and I think that launches a map always in FFA...
 monsoontide
10-16-2005, 1:50 PM
Had been wondering if it was possible to set each anim frame on a shader as a "parm" parameter on the entity and have a script call the appropriate parameter/frame...
Hmmm.... Currently just using a workaround with just Red & Blue. It's crude but adequate.
Will have to look into this more.
 lassev
10-16-2005, 3:57 PM
I don't think that's possible. As far as I know, it's just possible to "scroll" through them all one by one, and after you reach the last, it will begin a new round from the first frame. That's the func_usable function with "endframe" defined.
 monsoontide
10-16-2005, 7:20 PM
The reason I ask about the "default" NPC behaviours, is because when you "capture" an objective, you'll get a couple of NPC buddies spawning in to help you.
I just to be able to set their behavior in the entity window if as suggested, that is actually possible. However, I imagine it'll have to be done the long way!

Map is currently comping 12+ hours so far... will find out when I get home if it's still going....
Funny you know the map comps fine overnight - then I "fix" the skybox and part of the terrain that weren't lining up properly and WHAM - comp time goes throught the roof!!! Must be doing it "properly" now ;)

If I can get this comp to finish the lighting stage, I'll be putting this map up at www.pcgamemods.com) as an ALPHA test. So I can get a bit of feedback on how/if it plays.
 monsoontide
10-18-2005, 6:07 PM
Not so good. Three days of compiling and it still wasn't done... (And it was only taking one night not so long ago) So its back to the drawing board, cuttnig and pasting Elements from one map into a brand new map, piece by piece... doing a test compile. If it works, we move on to the next piece. I hate this... Is there any way to tell if the comp is actually making PROGRESS/doing anything?
 razorace
10-18-2005, 6:35 PM
Try asking in the map forum. They might know.
 wedge2211
10-18-2005, 9:56 PM
If you know which compile stage is taking too long, don't log that stage. Just watch the command window and see what part of the process it hangs up on, and we can comment further on possible causes.
 monsoontide
10-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Ok, I've worked it out...
Was being slightly naughty and trying to duplicate and flip my terrain to extend it.
However it was originally 4 units off, (and compiled fine) when I aligned it perfectly, it seems that it had problems telling the difference between the two sections of terrain - thus not comping.
I've reintroduced the offset between the terrain entites and it comps fine now!!!
So hopefully that's all it is!
 wedge2211
10-19-2005, 9:45 AM
That sounds...backwards. Compiling quickly when things are misaligned, I mean.
 monsoontide
10-19-2005, 8:35 PM
In this case I think it was because the compiler is trying to treat the two separate terrain pieces as one was what was the problem.
By offsetting the second duplicate piece, it then regonizes them as being separate...
Not 100% certain - still testing...
 Lindsey
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
have you ever considered making a map like this in Half-Life 2?

I've been mapping for it lately and never want to go back to Radiant :P

Glad to see your still working hard on this project and I wish you and your compiler luck!
 monsoontide
10-20-2005, 2:02 PM
I Dunno - I gess I'm just jaded but I found Half-Life 2 really um... well it was OK... but the whole game is really on rails if you know what I mean and I'm OHHHHHHHHH so tired of GRUNGE. They make these wonderful gaming engines that can do some beautiful things and all anyone can do is grungey dilapidated post apocalyptic scenarios.
And all I've seen anyone developing for Half-Life 2 in the mod community is contemporary or near future modern warefare crap.
I just haven't felt inspired enough by the new game engines.
The only reason I did maps for Jedi Knight is 'cos the Multiplayer had SAGA/SIEGE modes which seemed interesting as I'm dead bored of every other multiplayer mode.
Maybe if Battlefront 2 comes with some DECENT modding tools then I might do something - but knowing Pandemic, it won't.
Besides, I've given away my Half-Life 2 now.

OH off topic - but did anyone else think that King Kong demo sucked a*s?
 monsoontide
10-20-2005, 2:27 PM
Darth Vader enters the Ewok Village in pursuit of the Rebels...
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1931/shot00404dd.th.jpg) (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00404dd.jpg)

Imagine the Ewok carnage!
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1706/shot00417xz.th.jpg) (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00417xz.jpg)

Thank the Maker?
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/5499/shot00420jr.th.jpg) (http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00420jr.jpg)

OK, this is how it is looking... still haven't put my Redwood Tree models back in yet (or any of the Siege Objectives)
 Pahricida
10-20-2005, 7:49 PM
The only reason I did maps for Jedi Knight is 'cos the Multiplayer had SAGA/SIEGE modes which seemed interesting as I'm dead bored of every other multiplayer mode.

http://www.moviebattles.com/)

*hint* *hint*
 monsoontide
10-20-2005, 10:22 PM
If this ends up to your liking, you're welcome to include it in Movie Battles.
 Pahricida
10-21-2005, 5:50 AM
Well that was not really my intention.
I would though but our maps objectives are quite different than in siege, but we'll see once it's out.

You said JKA bored you and that you only played Siege/Saga so I thought I'd just direct you to our mod since it contains everything those two offer in a polished and improved form.

But enough of the advertise-abuse in this thread.
 monsoontide
10-21-2005, 7:38 PM
No, no - you misunderstand me... I really enjoyed Jedi Academy... Otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time doing this...
It's more that recent fps games have been kinda dull and samey...
Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Quake 4 (Currently giving it a whirl but my poor PC can barely cope with it!!! LOL). From the Demo I've played of FEAR, that sucks too. Gears Of War on X-box looks like more of the same - impressive game engines but just nothing going on originality wise or really trying to push the games with something really new GAMEPLAY wise. Sure there's buckets of atmosphere but thats about it.
The only games I've enjoyed of late has been Grand Theft Auto SanAndreas (Free roaming total environment), Star Wars Battlefront (Star Wars Combat on large scale), Lego Star Wars (Cos it was kinda cool in a silly way and had lots of secret stuff to find), oh and I like Far Cry (cos it had a cool open ended approach to achieving things (and was in a cool environment - well mostly)).
There just seems to be this huge movement towards making everything grungy and ugly and all sort of near future urban combat.
Its dull, dull, dull.
I loved Halo but the 2nd one, I just couldn't get into (probably cos I was playing on the X-box and just hate using contorllers for FPS games)
Everything gets dumbed down for console releases now.
Personally, I'd love to make a really kickass Jedi Knight sequel thats somewhat of a cross between Jedi Academy, KOTOR2, Gran Theft Auto and Battlefront.
And it would have to have really solid saber combat (You know, like where the lightsabers don't pass through each other) and really solid force powers, I mean with the current physics engines, you should be able to pick up an entire X-wing and wave it around... LOL.

But its all my opinion and since I've been playing video games for like twenty years I guess I'm just looking for something new gameplay wise.
Pretty graphics do not a decent game make.
 razorace
10-22-2005, 2:41 PM
I tend to agree. :)
 monsoontide
10-24-2005, 7:40 PM
OK back on Topic!!! I have nearly everything working (and lighting!) so - just need to do a few more tweaks (like adding more spawn points for the teams - currently there's only one each! LOL) maybe adding a couple more tree models.
It's far from complete but I WILL be releasing it for ALPHA testing in the next week.
NO!!! REALLY!!!
Though I won't be interested in any feedback about how crap it looks and that I haven't done all the handrails yet and that textyre X looks crap. I'm just wanting to know if it plays well and if the teams are balanced and if the objectives are um, for want of a better word "playable!"
Alas PC Gamemods is down at the moment...
 Pahricida
10-25-2005, 10:59 AM
so I assume it'll be open for testing to everyone.
What about Lucasfiles?
 monsoontide
10-25-2005, 2:22 PM
Yep... open Beta (Alpha.. whatever)
I'll try and post it to a few places.
Was gonna have it for today, but I updated a texture and it didn't replace it properly, so I have to go through the map and realign every instance. Sigh.
Should get it done tonight and have it ready for tomorrow
 Kurgan
10-26-2005, 2:18 AM
Please, please, please tell me that even if you decide to toss this map in with moviebattles, that you DO release a version for us "vanilla" Siege folks!

Some of us would rather just run a siege map than that mod (no offense to the MB2 fans of course). ;)

There are so few addon Siege maps as it is, don't let MB2 suck up EVERY good idea! Don't get me wrong, MB2 looks to be a quality mod, but it changes the gameplay of basejka (plus it's over 90 megs!). Plenty of us find Siege quite fun as it is. We just want more maps to play it on!

Also, don't forget to include the Objectives icons on the radar! (Too many maps have just glowing dots, which gets confusing and looks crappy).

Looks awesome so far. I had given up hope somewhat on this, as many other awesome siege projects that got sidetracked or died (like the ill-fated Siege Hoth).

Good luck!

PS: I can post a mirror of any files if you want, in a reasonable timeframe, if that will help. Just email them to me zipped with instructions.
 CerberuS_21
10-26-2005, 7:09 AM
Please, please, please tell me that even if you decide to toss this map in with moviebattles, that you DO release a version for us "vanilla" Siege folks!
Well, as far as I can see monssontide only stated that if Pahricida wanted to convert it to a MBII map he could do it. He didn't say he was making it as a MBII map ;)

There are so few addon Siege maps as it is, don't let MB2 suck up EVERY good idea!
I don't think we've ever "sucked up" any good idea for Siege maps (as in - persuaded people who originally wanted to make a basejka map to make it a MBII one). All our maps are either heavily modified FFA maps (which were originally released for basejka/basejo - e.g. Jabba's Palace, Sith-J's Tatooine map etc) or have been made specifically for MBII (i.e. the mappers didn't want it to be a Siege map in the first place).

Don't get me wrong - I'm taking no offense from your post. Just wanted to clear that up ;) Before I joined the MBII team I've been a long-time Siege player as well and I agree that Siege desperately needs some (good) new maps.

------------
On topic:

Looks very nice, monsoontide.

I've already been a big fan of Bast Castle and I'm sure as a map that's been designed with a more linear layout this one will turn out even better playability-wise :) Just don't include lifts of doom ;)

Out of curiosity - which filesize does Endor have atm? If it's close to the one of Bast Castle you might want to hint server admins at increasing sv_timeout - I remember that when testing Bast Castle quite a few people couldn't join the server (due to the filesize they timed out before the map had finished loading on their comp) if that cvar was set to the standard value.
Page: 4 of 7