Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise

Page: 4 of 5
 Prime
10-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Great to see that you are making such great progress, bneezy. And I'm very happy that you love the armour. :)
 bneezy
10-05-2004, 6:53 AM
What is a good hex editor to use? I've got Hex Workshop 4.2, but my models keep crashing. What do you use, T7? And when you save them, do you need to do anything special?
 Xavier2
10-05-2004, 7:08 AM
Originally posted by bneezy
What is a good hex editor to use? I've got Hex Workshop 4.2, but my models keep crashing. What do you use, T7? And when you save them, do you need to do anything special?
I use Hexeplorer. You can find the link in Kitty Kitty thread. It's fair and simple and has a good find function that allows you to find all entrys at the same time and edit one by one. Don't know if its the best though.

Xavier2
 Darth333
10-05-2004, 7:14 AM
Hex workshop is the best editor out there. Very likely the problem is not there: you must be missing an entry somewhere. Anyways, if you really want to try something else, you can check the Guide for the Newbie for more options (2 options proposed in the Guide + a link to a thread providing even more options).
 Ranis Hull
10-06-2004, 1:04 PM
your armer is awesome. cant wait for it to be releaced for download.

keep up the good work yall. :drop2: :mauls: :wan: :duel: :lsduel:
 Darth_ToMeR
10-06-2004, 2:07 PM
When do you think you'll finish this mod? Not exact date but in less than a week?
I want to play one more time with classic SW movies feeling.
I'm working on Movies music mod, it will replace some music from the game by music from the Movies.
I think this mod will fit well to mine and the Boba Fett mod.
 FunSolo
10-06-2004, 3:12 PM
can you give me a (no fixed) release date (this week? next? next month?) for the music please and tell more about it, like what music you use, tomer?
 Darth_ToMeR
10-07-2004, 1:17 AM
Originally posted by FunSolo
can you give me a (no fixed) release date (this week? next? next month?) for the music please and tell more about it, like what music you use, tomer?
I think i'll release it in a week.
I'm using music from the movies. What you hear in the movies, you'll hear in the game (like in the Cantina, you'll hear the music from ANH in the Cantina). But i wont replace all the music, because then the mod will be too big.
 Achilles
10-07-2004, 2:05 AM
Originally posted by Darth_ToMeR
I think i'll release it in a week.
I'm using music from the movies. What you hear in the movies, you'll hear in the game (like in the Cantina, you'll hear the music from ANH in the Cantina). But i wont replace all the music, because then the mod will be too big. Hey guys, can I politely ask that you not hijack Prime's thread. This really should be about his mod :D

TIA!
 DarkLord Re\/an
10-07-2004, 7:06 AM
i only have one thing to say ":drop2:" im done. o and also sweet work prime, keep it up
 MTV2
10-07-2004, 3:32 PM
Whos the one making the mod here?? Is bneezy making, Prime making one, or both???

Well whoever is making it, i was just wondering how far you are
 DarthBuzzard
10-07-2004, 3:41 PM
One is doing skins (Prime) and one is doing replacement/scripting (Bneezy).

I think (just a guess since prime has the model perfected) is that it will come out in 1-2 weeks max maybe.

:D
 DarkLord Re\/an
10-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I'm thinking of having a negative "to hit" modifier. :)

i know this is an old post but its strange how in some games. lets take the jedi knight II series, all the stormtroopers in that series are stupidly BAD they cant aim or anything then compare it with stormtroopers in Starwars Galaxies, they have good aiming and are strong.. whats with that?
 bneezy
10-08-2004, 6:13 AM
Woo Hoo! It looks like my problem hex editing the models was not the programs, but my choice of names. Thanks so much, T7!
 Prime
10-08-2004, 6:26 AM
Excellent. It looks like everything is coming together. :)
 sithchick
10-08-2004, 6:36 AM
great work as ever prime and u too bneezy
 MTV2
10-08-2004, 6:40 AM
Excellent. It looks like everything is coming together. :)
Sounds good, cant wait:)
 bneezy
10-08-2004, 8:03 AM
"W00T!" as the kids say. Everything on my end is completed. All that is left is the readme and possibly a new "Sith Disguise" icon. Great work, Prime! And thanks a lot, T7.
 stingerhs
10-08-2004, 8:19 AM
umm, just a quick question: this mod will work with the sith disguise on taris, right???
 Harker
10-08-2004, 8:27 AM
To confirm... this new skin/uniform has the helmet as a seperate item?

Oh- and friggin awesome work as well!!!!
 bneezy
10-08-2004, 8:31 AM
Yes, the disguise works on taris with no problem.

I'm working on the .UTI's now to make the armor useable by PC's. Yes, Helmet and Armor will be useable individually.

There should be (correct me if I'm wrong, Prime) two sets of files:

1. Set to change Sith troopers into Stormtroopers.

2. Set to make Stormtrooper armor (helmet and armor) useable by PC's.

UPDATE: Here's the thing: If the helmet and armor are going to be useable individually, the helmet is going to be larger than the one on the Sith troopers (Stormtroopers). This is to ensure that it fits most if not all PC heads. The other option is to have the armor useable on it's own and require the PC to have the armor equipped in order to use the helmet. This way, the helmet can have a disguise property that gives you the full Stormtrooper model as seen on the Sith trooper (smaller helmet). Honestly, what the hell else are you going to wear that monstrous thing with?

Both will use the same textures.

Prime: PM stats for the helmet and armor.
 Prime
10-08-2004, 9:14 AM
All that is left is the readme and possibly a new "Sith Disguise" icon. I can do those up. I send them to you when they are completed.

There should (correct me if I'm wrong, Prime) two sets of files:

1. Set to change Sith troopers into Stormtroopers.

2. Set to make Stormtrooper armor (helmet and armor) useable by PC's.

Prime: PM stats for the helmet and armor. Yep, that sounds good.
 Harker
10-08-2004, 9:25 AM
well, quite franly, I was hoping that the helmet could be a seperate item. Per my request on the mod request thread, I seek to have more Helmets in the game.

Honestly, my hope was to see sith trooper outfits replaced by this mod, but have the helmet and armor for the PC to be seperate. This way, I could reskin the helmet for myself and have it fit with my costume better (it's beggin for a helmet!) And if they were seperate, my reskin of the seperate helmet would NOT effect the full armor of the sith troopers (wierd to have a white body and then some rather extravagantly colored helmet.)
 bneezy
10-08-2004, 9:28 AM
And how do you get around replacing the PMBH01 with the Stormtrooper texture and not having the "Heavy Battle Armor" look like a Stormtrooper? You don't! You make g_a_class9001 the new Stormtrooper armor and you make up some BS like:

"The armor(helmet) recovered from a dead Imperial Stormtrooper. Since the previous owner no longer had any use for it, some entrepreneurs took it upon themselves to make it available for a price. Eventhough possesion of such an/a armor/helmet is punishable by death (or worse), it is still a hot commodity to those with dislike for the Empire."

Then you give it a "premium" price. Now obviously, those are two different descriptions for the helmet and armor as one to save typing.

Q: Why don't you just change the texture variation of "g_a_class9001" to "2" and avoid all that.

A: Tried that. It messes with the "Sith Disguise" for some reason.

UPDATE: Harker, both versions can be included with the option of choosing which to install. There will not be any scripting the PC useable armor pieces into the game early on. If you want them, use cheats or wait until you get to the Leviathan.
 Harker
10-08-2004, 9:43 AM
Ahh... so if I replace the sith troopers with this, I can't retexture the helmet alone or it will effect them as well (so much for cake and eating it too! ;) )

Oh well- I look forward to this none-the-less!
 Harker
10-08-2004, 9:45 AM
UPDATE: Here's the thing: If the helmet and armor are going to be useable individually, the helmet is going to be larger than the one on the Sith troopers (Stormtroopers). This is to ensure that it fits most if not all PC heads. The other option is to have the armor useable on it's own and require the PC to have the armor equipped in order to use the helmet. This way, the helmet can have a disguise property that gives you the full Stormtrooper model as seen on the Sith trooper (smaller helmet). Honestly, what the hell else are you going to wear that monstrous thing with?

Prime: PM stats for the helmet and armor. [/B]

Will it be the size of Orsan's boba fett helmet? No offense to him in the least, I just don't want to look like a bobble-head stormtrooper ;)
 bneezy
10-08-2004, 9:58 AM
My trial for Photoshop CS expired, so I can't post any new screenshots until I get it downloaded again (which, by the looks of things, will be a while).

When I get it working I'll post a size reference: HERE.

Or Prime could use the files I sent him to post one if he has time.

Ahh... so if I replace the sith troopers with this, I can't retexture the helmet alone or it will effect them as well (so much for cake and eating it too! )
Not unless you loaded the helmet into gmax and added your custom texture to it. You would then have to create an new .UTI for the helmet. Not that hard really.

UPDATE: Coudn't they just hex edit the model and replace the helmet texture with the name of the custom one? Then make the helmet unique by changing the model name and making a new .UTI?
 Prime
10-09-2004, 4:54 PM
Just an update, but we are doing a bit of beta testing right now to confirm that we have rectified an issue we were seeing. Then there are just a few final things to do like finish the readme and icons. It shouldn't be too long now, I hope. :)
 FunSolo
10-09-2004, 7:06 PM
yeah *bouncin around like usher* *lol*
 Mono_Giganto
10-10-2004, 4:07 PM
You guys are doing a great job, Stormtroopers rock.

Are you planning on converting Hap's E-11 or the Raven one? Assuming you're converting one of them. :D
 Prime
10-11-2004, 7:54 PM
I need some help from all you scripting gurus. :D I'm still trying to replace the sith troopers with stormtroopers but I'm still getting some anomilies in certain areas. In some places the troopers are not spawning correctly and are invisible. They still seem to react the same (attacking or whatever), but you can't see them. I am trying to use a method suggested by Darth333, which is as follows:

"1. For each module where there is a sith trooper you want to change into a stormtrooper, open the .are file to identify the script in the OnEnter field. Note the name down (we only need the name of the script)

For example, for the tar_m02ac module, the OnEnter script is k_ptar_a02ac_en.ncs

2. Go to the .ncs files for the module, and extract the script that was in the OnEnter filed in the .are file.

to follow our example, you would extract k_ptar_a02ac_en.ncs

3. rename the script to whatever you want. I chose stormtroop3.ncs

4. Open notepad and paste the following script:

void main ()
{
//get the tags of all the troopers in the module. If you miss one, the game can crash
//there is one new ovject per tags
object oNPC1 = GetObjectByTag("tar02_canttrooper");
object oNPC2 = GetObjectByTag("SithPatrol023");
object oNPC3 = GetObjectByTag("SithPatrol022");
//now identify the item you want to unequip
object oArmor1 = GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_BODY,oNPC1);
object oArmor2 = GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_BODY,oNPC2);
object oArmor3 = GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_BODY,oNPC3);
//and unequip it
AssignCommand(oNPC1, ActionUnequipItem(oArmor1, TRUE));
AssignCommand(oNPC2, ActionUnequipItem(oArmor2, TRUE));
AssignCommand(oNPC3, ActionUnequipItem(oArmor3, TRUE));
//execute the orginal OnEnter script htat we have renamed
ExecuteScript("stormtroop3", GetModule());
}

5. save your script with the same name as the original OnEnter Script, in this case, it would be k_ptar_a02ac_en.nss

6. Compile your script"
Does anyone know why this would work for some modules but not for others? Are there some extra scripts or something that are executed when certain modules are loaded? This problem seems to happen in the modules for the Leviathan, Sith bases on Taris and Manaan, and the Star Forge.

Also, a couple of modules don't seem to have an OnEntry script at all. I tried to get these modules to execute a custom script by adding the script name to the OnEntry line in the .are file and putting both files in the Override directory, but without success.

Anyone have some ideas why I am seeing this? :confused:
 Darth333
10-11-2004, 8:37 PM
For the invisible npcs, it was a simple issue with duplicate tags, the script would only check for one object. Check your PMs, problem has been addressed, thanks to tk102.
 Prime
10-11-2004, 9:15 PM
Thanks. :) I'll take a look...
 Darth_ToMeR
10-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Is there any new progress?
 Prime
10-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Darth_ToMeR
Is there any new progress? To be honest, we've hit a bit of a snag. The scripting required to replace all the Sith troopers is a lot more tedious and non-trivial than I had originally hoped. Right now it is pretty slow going. Depending on how much more work it is going to be, I may end up giving up on that part of the mod. But for now, with the great help of Darth333, I'm still working on the replacement scripts. I'll see how things prograss this weekend.

In any event, the model and skin itself are ready to go, and at the very least I will be releasing a mod to allow the player to use the stormtrooper armour and helmet.

I'll post updates as they happen.
 Darth333
10-16-2004, 4:54 PM
:headbump the solution was sooooooo simple :headbump We were heading in the wrong direction: I made a 180 є turn and got it working...it was as simple as .2da editing :rolleyes:...I got those scipts working too if you prefer to do it the hard way :p... Check your PMs

The npcs in tar_m09aa were invisible because Lite_Sith_Soldier was not the same race as Sith_Soldier_01 , 02 and 03.
 rictus135
10-16-2004, 5:32 PM
Whats going to happen to the red troopers? If you could, itd be awsome to have the red troopers changed to Shoulderpad Stormtroopers, although I read somewhere you can't change only one side of the armor (ie the two circles on the back)
 Prime
10-16-2004, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
:headbump the solution was sooooooo simple :headbump We were heading in the wrong direction: I made a 180 є turn and got it working...it was as simple as .2da editing :rolleyes:... Fantastic! That seems to be working great and it is so cleaner than all those scripts. :)

Originally posted by Darth333
I got those scipts working too if you prefer to do it the hard way :p... Uh, no thanks. That was a way bigger pain than I want to deal with. :)

Originally posted by rictus135
Whats going to happen to the red troopers? If you could, itd be awsome to have the red troopers changed to Shoulderpad Stormtroopers, although I read somewhere you can't change only one side of the armor (ie the two circles on the back) Unfortunately, the stormtrooper texture is symmetrical, meaning that the same thing is applied to both sides of the model. So there is no way to create the shoulderpad without having it on both sides. So that is why I decided to make them all regular stormtroopers.

Anyway, I'll probably go back one more time and make a few last tweeks to the skin and finish up the necessary files, and then get everything together for release. :)
 stingerhs
10-16-2004, 8:49 PM
Fantastic! That seems to be working great and it is so cleaner than all those scripts. :)

Anyway, I'll probably go back one more time and make a few last tweeks to the skin and finish up the necessary files, and then get everything together for release. :)

yay!! this means it will be released soon!!! to everyone involved: y'all have outdone yourselves. excellent work!!!
:joy:
 RedHawke
10-16-2004, 8:53 PM
Originally posted by stingerhs
yay!! this means it will be released soon!!! to everyone involved: y'all have outdone yourselves. excellent work!!!
:joy:

I agree! I can't wait to have a bunch of Storm Troopers on Taris... that will be so cool! :D
 bneezy
10-17-2004, 4:55 AM
Unfortunately, the stormtrooper texture is symmetrical, meaning that the same thing is applied to both sides of the model. So there is no way to create the shoulderpad without having it on both sides. So that is why I decided to make them all regular stormtroopers.

Or could you (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/arctrooper1.jpg)?)

You know, since we still have HapSlash's blessing for his models, we could probably get this (http://www.lucasfiles.com/screenshots/646822.jpg) working.
 Airrazor
10-17-2004, 4:58 AM
cool
 Mono_Giganto
10-17-2004, 7:09 AM
Or could you (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/arctrooper1.jpg)?)

You know, since we still have HapSlash's blessing for his models, we could probably get this (http://www.lucasfiles.com/screenshots/646822.jpg) working.

Yes, these stormtroopers are looking great!
 Mav
10-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Or could you?

You know, since we still have HapSlash's blessing for his models, we could probably get this working.

That looks awesome!!!, The ARC Trooper is looking real good.
 Sirus Fett
10-18-2004, 8:09 AM
WOW! :eek: looks awesome when will we be able to get the stormtrooper? and also when are u other guys gonna release that arctrooper and sandtrooper?
 Prime
10-18-2004, 9:39 AM
Originally posted by Sirus Fett
WOW! :eek: looks awesome when will we be able to get the stormtrooper? Barring unforseen issues, I suspect it will be out this week sometime. But don't quote me on that. ;)

Originally posted by Sirus Fett
and also when are u other guys gonna release that arctrooper and sandtrooper? Right now, it is more a question of if, rather than when...
 Mono_Giganto
10-18-2004, 11:15 AM
This is just a crazy thought but what if you made the shoulder pad a "headgear"..... o.O Attached to a stormie helmet....
 Sirus Fett
10-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Hmm thats an interesting thought well why dont you just ask the people who made that arc and sandtrooper? who knows they might have even done that?
 Xavier2
10-18-2004, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by Mono_Giganto
This is just a crazy thought but what if you made the shoulder pad a "headgear"..... o.O Attached to a stormie helmet....
That's exactly what bneezy did in that pic above. The set back is that, as he said, either i place the helmet and the sholderpad as a head or a helmet. Placing it as a head will make the head loose animations. Placing it as a helmet will make the shoulderpad move along the head anim (like the head clips trough the hood in that maskless Revan robe mod).

The non-anim head/helmet turns out to be the best solution. You know...Who would be able to turn his head with that think on, anyway?.:D That's actually a more realistic move.;)
 Mono_Giganto
10-18-2004, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by Xavier2
That's exactly what bneezy did in that pic above. The set back is that, as he said, either i place the helmet and the sholderpad as a head or a helmet. Placing it as a head will make the head loose animations. Placing it as a helmet will make the shoulderpad move along the head anim (like the head clips trough the hood in that maskless Revan robe mod).

The non-anim head/helmet turns out to be the best solution. You know...Who would be able to turn his head with that think on, anyway?.:D That's actually a more realistic move.;)

Yeah I was thinking that too, really, they should be disciplined wnough not to have wandering eyes. :D If my marching band can't move when at attention, neither should Stormies. :lol:
Page: 4 of 5