Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars Battlefront.

Page: 1 of 1
 michael_collins
09-21-2004, 6:01 PM
Taken from www.gamespot.com) 's preview about the XBOX version of the game

The Empire fields a dark trooper as its fifth class. The dark trooper is armed with a blast cannon and can quickly get around the battlefield using a jetpack similar to Boba Fett's

Food for thought.
 Kyral
09-22-2004, 7:32 AM
In the Battlefront-Forum they talk about the Dark Trooper a lot.
Many people think he should never be taken into the game.

I too don't think the idea is good:
Because it is not the REAL Dark Trooper.
He isn't 3 Meters high, heavy armored, can fly around and dos have the cool Assault Cannon.

of course some people can mod this... but it will destroy the balance of the game
 Darth_Linux
09-22-2004, 7:08 PM
wasn't the entire Dark Trooper project scrapped after Mohc's failure anyhow??? Seems like it doesn't make sense in the timeline of it all anyway . . .
 michael_collins
09-23-2004, 7:51 AM
Has anybody got a good screenshot of it in BF thou?
 Neverhoodian
09-23-2004, 8:35 AM
Go to the official Battlegrounds website off of lucasarts.com (http://www.lucasarts.com). They have some screenshots of it in their gallery section as well as a prerendered model of it in the gameplay section.

From the looks of it, it appears to be a Phase 2 Dark Trooper. The description of it says that it's a cyborg, not a droid as they were in Dark Forces.

This opens a whole new can of worms for those of us who try to make sense of the Dark Trooper project in context of the games and other EU sources. Still, Battlefront seems like the type of game where you don't worry about the plot. Just charge right in and wreak some havoc as a Dark Trooper.;)
 FatSpider
09-25-2004, 6:18 AM
I just got the game last night.

Yeah After looking at the darktrooper its more like a stormie with gray armor and a jet pack, and the helmet looks ugly as all get out. Plus you really don't feel like anything special romping around in one.
 Ackehallgren
09-26-2004, 3:08 AM
I still think its kinda cool that they're in there. Instead of making some "Jetpack super duper trooper" they dook the DT.
Also, the DT project WAS scrapped after Mohc's death, but several atteampts at making similar light versions of the DT (phase ii in particular) was made. You can find these in battlefront, galaxies, galactic battleground.

I think its cool :)
 Alegis
09-26-2004, 3:36 AM
Originally posted by Kyral

all lies ;)

When the dark trooper was announced (like in march orso) some people may have disliked it but now after release no one really cares i think, they just want to play the game and enjoy it rather than discussing units that should/shouldnt have been there
 michael_collins
09-26-2004, 3:13 PM
Gyah! Im sure the guy who did concept work for the original (someone chin was it?) must be cursing LA. The damn thing hasnt got the intimidating elegance the original had, I can still remember jumping outta my seat seeing the first one in the Ice station level all those years ago, ranks up there with my big star wars moments, the best being the mission in XWA where you jump in next to the SSD Executor and Emkay informs you that "Thats vaders ship".....god im gonna install that.
 Locutus_of_Borg
09-27-2004, 12:26 AM
This was the best Battlefront Dark Trooper picture I could find. He really does look like a silver stormtrooper with a jetpack. So, DF Mod team, please stay true to the original and make yours much better!
Battlefront Dark Trooper (http://www.elthammultimedia.com/tristanw/temp/battlefront_dt.jpg)
 CortoCG
09-27-2004, 7:17 AM
That dark trooper is a piece of chunk. Believe me, you'll like my vision of the dark trooper, and it will be much more like Justin Chin's concept.
 LightNinja
09-27-2004, 9:18 AM
Originally posted by Kyral
It is like a stormtrooper so i dont know why they dont want it, also SWG has a ****load of them
 Kyral
09-27-2004, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
all lies ;)

Alright alright!!

Some prefered the Imperial Officer.
And didn't really liked it first as LA took him out and replaced him with the DT.

Better? :D
 michael_collins
09-27-2004, 4:52 PM
Originally posted by CortoCG
That dark trooper is a piece of chunk. Believe me, you'll like my vision of the dark trooper, and it will be much more like Justin Chin's concept.

When, when!!! Ich bin hungrig.
 recombinant
10-07-2004, 5:56 PM
Originally posted by CortoCG

word.
 Kurgan
10-11-2004, 3:44 PM
SWBF has a fat gray stormtrooper with a weak Jetpack (more akin to Force Jump than an actual flight ability). His "cannon" is just an E-11 Blaster Rifle that fires a "shotgun" spread of blasts, and he carries some grenades.

Suffice to say it's nowhere close to the previously seen DT's. ; )
 recombinant
10-11-2004, 4:48 PM
Agreed.

I was really disappointed with the fact that the "jetpack" was really just a jump-jet. However, I was at a small LAN this past weekend and found the Dark Trooper to be quite useful in certain circumstances.

But I am definitely looking forward to seeing Corto's work, as always! :D

:holosid:
 Master Toddy
10-22-2004, 9:36 AM
In the Galactic Civil War campaign, the Dark Trooper shows up BEFORE the battle of Yavin, even though it wasn't created until AFTER.

Personally, I think the only reason the Dark Trooper is in game is because they think fans think it'll be cool and say, "oh, they have a Dark Trooper! I've gotta buy this game." Either that, or the designers never played the original Dark Forces and said, "Hey, the Dark Trooper sounds like a cool idea, let's put it in our game."
 SlicerDude
10-22-2004, 12:57 PM
I think they just thought the DT was just the closest existing thing to the specific gameplay role they wanted to fill. I wouldn't worry too much about it appearing in the wrong battles; it's not like Battlefront's really story-based anyway.
Page: 1 of 1