Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Demo

Page: 1 of 1
 Winduwt105
08-25-2004, 5:17 PM
When do you estimate that the game demo will come out? They need one to calm all the fans down or hype them up more
 Kurgan
08-26-2004, 2:13 PM
Chances are anywhere from 2 weeks prior to the game's release to a few weeks after. That's generally how it works.

Now a lot of companies release a demo only after the game has gone gold, but this is Lucasarts we're talking here, and generally they seem to have a demo out before a game actually hits store shelves. But then that's not guarenteed either.

Yeah, I hope a playable demo comes out soon and I hope it's "different" than the full game (ie: not just a level torn from the full game, but something new, which accurately represents the gameplay of the real deal).
 ZBomber
08-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan

Yeah, I hope a playable demo comes out soon and I hope it's "different" than the full game (ie: not just a level torn from the full game, but something new, which accurately represents the gameplay of the real deal).

Good luck with that. :) I have to agree though, new levels are funner so when you play the full game you get the full experience for trying all the levels the first time.
 Kurgan
08-31-2004, 2:40 PM
Not to mention the fact that in a game, they spread the elements around. You know, you tend to get the weaker weapons first, face the weaker enemies, etc and they save the "really cool stuff" for later.

Now in some demos it's like a "teaser." They only show you the lower level stuff, to leave the good stuff as a treat to tempt you to buy the real game.

On the other hand, what if the lower level stuff just sucks? The demo might be boring and turn you off from buying the real thing.

So a "stand alone" demo is actually good because they can give you an accurate sampling of the stuff you'll see in the full game. Not only does this prevent "spoilage" of the game itself, but it also gives you a better picture of the product so you can make a more informed decision.

"Is this fun? Is this the game I want to spend my hard earned money on?"

Since PC games aren't usually rented and piracy isn't something they want, this is one of the few ways a gamer can (legally) try before they buy. The least they could do is provide an accurate summury of what the real game will be like to the potential customer.
 adillon
09-02-2004, 5:31 AM
lucasarts release the demo for jedi outcast well after the game was on the shelves, which i thought was kind of odd. but at the same time, it contained a whole new map which satisfied the masses, because who on earth would want to play a demo containing the same gameplay of something they already shelled money out for?

jedi academy's demo contained a level that was in the official game, which did help give us all an idea of how that game would play out. but when i got to that same level in the full version, it was deja vu all over again.

i'd really like to see something come out prior to a game's official release, containing something NOT in the official game ... that would be the best of both worlds, at least for me.
;)
 ZBomber
09-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by adillon
lucasarts release the demo for jedi outcast well after the game was on the shelves, which i thought was kind of odd. but at the same time, it contained a whole new map which satisfied the masses, because who on earth would want to play a demo containing the same gameplay of something they already shelled money out for?

jedi academy's demo contained a level that was in the official game, which did help give us all an idea of how that game would play out. but when i got to that same level in the full version, it was deja vu all over again.

i'd really like to see something come out prior to a game's official release, containing something NOT in the official game ... that would be the best of both worlds, at least for me.
;)

Yeh, I skipped throguh the cave level the first time, not knowing the ending was a little different.
 adillon
09-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Yeh, I skipped throguh the cave level the first time, not knowing the ending was a little different.
yup, and other than that, not much of a difference ... still was a disappointment to me. i played the demo so much i could whip through that level in the full-game knowing where enemies were and when certain scripted events would happen ... and all without taking any damage. oh well ...
Page: 1 of 1