Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hard contact

Page: 1 of 1
 Alegis
06-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Apparently a book is beeing released as well this fall
"hard contact"

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swrepubliccommando/images/hardcontact_full.jpg)

Play the LucasArts game—read the book! On a mission to sabotage a nanovirus research facility on a Separatist-held planet, four clone troopers operate under the very noses of their enemies. The commandos are outnumbered and outgunned, deep behind enemy lines with no backup -- and working with strangers instead of trusted teammates. Matters don't improve when Darman, the squad's demolitions expert, gets separated from the others during planetfall. Even Darman's apparent good luck in meeting the Jedi Padawan Etain Tur-Mukan vanishes once Etain admits to her woeful inexperience.
For the separated clone commandos and stranded Jedi, a long, dangerous journey lies ahead, through hostile territory brimming with Trandoshan slavers, Separatists, and suspicious natives. A single misstep could mean discovery ... and death. It's a virtual suicide mission for anyone -- anyone except Republic Commandos.
 eastcoast2895
06-18-2004, 12:08 PM
i wonder if the book will be delayed.
sounds like a fun read though, kinda wish they didn't add the jedi though so they could focus only on the commandos' abilities.
 adillon
06-18-2004, 12:24 PM
but the jedi is 'woefully inexperienced' ... meaning he (she?) NEEDS the bada$$ commandos in order to survive. i like the addition of this character, it shows that the commandos can be more destructive and powerful than someone in tune with the force ... very different than the impression given in EP2 (and possibly EP3).

btw, the cover art of this book is where i got my avatar from ... :cool:
 ZBomber
06-18-2004, 1:33 PM
Is it gonna be like those Star Wars Galaxy books? I'll buy it, because I'm a Star Wars Collector, dunno if I'll read it though.....
 Alegis
06-18-2004, 4:13 PM
lol thats pathetic zbomber :p

for some reason, i liked pre-OT books (jedi apprentice, phantom menace) but not post-OT books (NJO)
 StormHammer
06-19-2004, 12:58 AM
I've already planned to get the book, and I will read it. :p

I too think the story could have done without a Jedi, and focused simply on the squad doing their job. Although, if it's anything like the X-Wing novels (where pilot Corran Horn is 'attuned' to the Force), it might not be so bad.

Anyway, if it can tie in nicely with the game and flesh out the life of a Republic Commando, it should be an interesting read. That's one of the reasons why I liked the three short novels based around the life of Kyle Katarn - it added more substance to his character, and filled in some blanks around the games (Dark Forces and Jedi Knight).
 Pad
06-19-2004, 2:26 PM
Books, smooks!
Iґm not really into reading books so I guess this one will pass me aswell. It might be good, but well, I will hear it from you peeps :p
 ZBomber
06-19-2004, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
lol thats pathetic zbomber :p

for some reason, i liked pre-OT books (jedi apprentice, phantom menace) but not post-OT books (NJO)

Pfft, YOU'RE pathetic! :p

Stories based off games always seem to bomb, I only like the cover art. :p
 eastcoast2895
06-26-2004, 2:47 PM
according to the lucasarts website the book is suppose to come out around the same time as the game. so is the book going to be delayed too?
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-12-2004, 2:58 AM
I would expect it to kind of suck, except...

The author is new to Star Wars, but has been asked to write three more Star Wars books, without seeing public opinion. Apparantly, this book really impressed the people at Del Rey.
 dabe
10-13-2004, 7:28 AM
Interesting, but in all honesty I can't see the basis of a compelling story within this book. Commandos go in, Commandos come out, leaving a blaze behing them. Also, although I probably will purchase the game, it seems very un-atmospheric and dark. Yeah, maybe darkness can be extremely atmospheric but in the screenshots i have witnessed and the movie clips and inserts, the game just looks a bit bland. Which I can see exactly the same happening to the book.

I'm pretty sure the book will coincide with the game even if it is delayed further.
 ZBomber
10-13-2004, 1:42 PM
You have a valid point, it does seem kinda strange to make a book about it. But, that IS what a lot of Star Wars books are like. It's all the creatures and devices that make the SW Books so good. ;)
 Kurgan
10-13-2004, 2:24 PM
Well, there's always the local library or Barne's and Noble (grab a book, sit on the couch, etc.).

I stopped buying Star Wars books after I noticed the dip in quality and the fact that I'd just read them once and toss aside anyway...

That said, I still don't mind picking up paperbacks at dirt cheap prices at used book stores for those long trips or some cheap entertainment while in the backwoods. ; )
 ZBomber
10-13-2004, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Well, there's always the local library or Barne's and Noble (grab a book, sit on the couch, etc.).

I stopped buying Star Wars books after I noticed the dip in quality and the fact that I'd just read them once and toss aside anyway...

That said, I still don't mind picking up paperbacks at dirt cheap prices at used book stores for those long trips or some cheap entertainment while in the backwoods. ; )

Speaking of dirt cheap, I bought the hardcover AOTC book for 3 dollars at some outlet store. :D
 Revan Solo
11-09-2004, 7:58 AM
The cover looks good!
 Joetheeskimo
11-12-2004, 6:40 AM
****, I'm getting it no matter what. :eek:

I've read the Halo books, and they're so freakin awesome, I don't see why this book shouldn't be awesome either, since it's based off of an awesome game. :)
 ZBomber
11-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
****, I'm getting it no matter what. :eek:

I've read the Halo books, and they're so freakin awesome, I don't see why this book shouldn't be awesome either, since it's based off of an awesome game. :)

Correction: Hopefully awesome game. :)
 Joetheeskimo
11-12-2004, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Correction: Hopefully awesome game. :)

Correction: Awesome game. :)
 ZBomber
11-13-2004, 6:46 AM
Correction: Awesome game. :)

As much as I'd like to think that, LA has let me down quite a few trimes. Therefore, it's better to not get our hopes up. ;)
 Joetheeskimo
11-13-2004, 7:37 AM
As much as I'd like to think that, LA has let me down quite a few trimes. Therefore, it's better to not get our hopes up. ;)

Correction: Uh...nevermind. :p

But it's just that LA has never elt me down. I suppsoe I'm just easily pleased, but I think JA had an awesome storyline, although 90% of the swamp thinks it sucked. I loved Jedi Outcast, although everyone said Jedi Knight was a lot less shallow. The list goes on. ;)
 ZBomber
11-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Correction: Uh...nevermind. :p

But it's just that LA has never elt me down. I suppsoe I'm just easily pleased, but I think JA had an awesome storyline, although 90% of the swamp thinks it sucked. I loved Jedi Outcast, although everyone said Jedi Knight was a lot less shallow. The list goes on. ;)

ALL the gameboy game ssuck. Episode I Game sucked. Jedi Outcast was all right, but I hated Jedi Academy. That's enough to disapoint me, and they are making a game that will be a little like JA, so that's why I'm worried.
 Prime
11-18-2004, 7:35 PM
Will the book have pictures? I never learned to read.
 txa1265
11-19-2004, 8:49 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Will the book have pictures? I never learned to read. That reminds me of Beauty and the Best - How can you read this book, there's no pictures! ;)

... and it has been long enough since they've had interest in that movie that I can no longer blame that response on my kids :D

Mike
 Revan Solo
11-21-2004, 4:54 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Will the book have pictures? I never learned to read. What a intellectual samurai! :p
 txa1265
12-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey all:

I noticed today that Hard Contact is out in stores now, recently released directly to paperback. TFN already has a review (3/4). I picked it up ...

Mike
 Joetheeskimo
12-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
I picked it up ...

... and how is it? :D I may or may not get it, depending on what you say.
 txa1265
12-21-2004, 11:22 PM
... and how is it? :D I may or may not get it, depending on what you say. If you are going to wait for me to finish it ... well, let's just say that lately, in the free-time battle, reading has been losing to gaming pretty uniformly ...

Mike
 tommygunner
12-22-2004, 7:17 AM
i liked that book... it was pretty good...
 Joetheeskimo
01-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Woah! Just bought and finished reading Hard Contact, and it's incredible! I'm now double as hyped for the game to be released. HURRY UP, LUCASARTS! :mad: But seriously, I recommend this book to anyone interested in the game. It gives you a taste of what gameplay will be like, and it has an awesome storyline!
 ZBomber
01-08-2005, 3:02 PM
Uh... whens it take place? Does it tell about the missions, or before/after them?
 tommygunner
01-08-2005, 5:42 PM
there is a new official website!!!! republic commando (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swrepubliccommando/) it is pretty cool!
 ZBomber
01-08-2005, 6:23 PM
Originally posted by tommygunner
there is a new official website!!!! republic commando (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swrepubliccommando/) it is pretty cool!

.....What does that have to do with the book?
 eastcoast2895
01-08-2005, 8:08 PM
i think this book was great. a good fun read, not trying to be anything else. also liked how they explained the difference between a regular trooper, republic commando, and arc trooper. also enjoyed how the book did not tie into the game at all except for the fact that the book was also about a group of republic commandos. i wonder if there is anything else i can think of to say i also liked. oh yeah, i love how they handle the jedi in the book. i was really worried that the book would center around the jedi or at the least take away from the story of the republic commandos, but luckily to my surprise the jedi's prescence only enhances my understanding of the republic commandos.

great read for anyone who doesn't want to spoil the game's storyline, but wants to learn more about commandos. thinking about it, i think it doesn't spoil anything episode 3.
 Joetheeskimo
01-09-2005, 4:00 AM
Originally posted by eastcoast2895
also enjoyed how the book did not tie into the game at all except for the fact that the book was also about a group of republic commandos.

Oh, yes it did. It gave us tastes of things like squad nicknames, which guns you'll use (such as the DC-17 and proximity mine), and (possibly) a planet we may play on.

Uh... whens it take place?

Right after the Battle of Geonosis.

Does it tell about the missions, or before/after them?

I don't mean it ties into the game in THAT way. It's not, like, narrating what happens in the video game. It just gives you a taste of what it's like for a Republic Commando at that time. No, it doesn't spoil any missions, unless the planet Qiilura is in the game, because that's where the commandos go in the book.

Originally posted by tommygunner

Already posted (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142580). Yeah, it is cool :)

OT: Heh, happy new year, I've got a post count of 2005 :D
 ZBomber
01-09-2005, 5:39 AM

Right after the Battle of Geonosis.

Really? I thought it would be kinda during the beginning of Epsiode III. However, not following Epsiode III too much (to avoid spoilers) so maybe right after the battle of genosis IS in Ep. 3. :)
 Joetheeskimo
01-09-2005, 6:47 AM
Really? I thought it would be kinda during the beginning of Epsiode III. However, not following Epsiode III too much (to avoid spoilers) so maybe right after the battle of genosis IS in Ep. 3. :)

Well, not exactly. According to the time line on teh first page of Hard Contact, Ep3 takes place 36 years after the Battle of Geonosis :eek: And I'm pretty certain that's accurate, becuse the author conferred with both a LucasArts and LucasFilms representative.
 eastcoast2895
01-09-2005, 6:52 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also enjoyed how the book did not tie into the game at all except for the fact that the book was also about a group of republic commandos.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, yes it did. It gave us tastes of things like squad nicknames, which guns you'll use (such as the DC-17 and proximity mine), and (possibly) a planet we may play on.

i meant that the book wasn't about the game but about things in the game, like you later explain in your post.

also according to the book's timeline the book takes place 3 months after the battle of geonosis

game spoiler:

interestingly the book notes that the game takes place 0 months after the battle of geonosis. here's hoping the first level takes place on geonosis.
 Joetheeskimo
01-09-2005, 9:37 AM
also according to the book's timeline the book takes place 3 months after the battle of geonosis

Yeah, but since your spoiler says that the game takes place 0 months after Genosis, Hard Contact takes place around that time as well and in the book, the commandos have just left Geonosis, which means it takes place right after the battle there.
 ZBomber
01-09-2005, 10:35 AM
.....What? How can Epsiode III take place 36 years after Episode II? :|

That would mean Anakin would be in his 50's at Epsiode III..... Obi-Wan in like his 70's. :|
 Joetheeskimo
01-09-2005, 10:48 AM
.....What? How can Epsiode III take place 36 years after Episode II? :|

That would mean Anakin would be in his 50's at Epsiode III..... Obi-Wan in like his 70's. :|

I find it weird too..I could be wrong but...the prequel episodes have a screwy time line anyway...Padme looks exactly the same in Ep2 as she did in Ep1, but Anakin suddenly grows from 6 to 19 or whatever. So, I wouldn't be surprised if Ep3 did in fact take place 36 years later.
 eastcoast2895
01-09-2005, 12:49 PM
ummm, are you guys talking about the timeline from hard contact? because the timeline is in months, not years (i first made the mistake too). so according to the book's timeline episode 3 takes 3 years (36 months) after episode 2, which seems very reasonable.

also i like to apologize to joetheeskimo5 for being trivial and adding nothing to the conversation, but if i read the book correctly

commandos are put in hibernation when not preparing for or participating in a mission. and in the book it started on geonosis because that's when one commando lost all his teamates, but advances 3 months during the hibernation when they are awaken to prepare for the mission (about a weeks time).

and using the fact the game starts 0 months after geonosis has nothing to do with the book because it is a totally different team.
 Joetheeskimo
01-09-2005, 1:22 PM
ummm, are you guys talking about the timeline from hard contact? because the timeline is in months, not years (i first made the mistake too). so according to the book's timeline episode 3 takes 3 years (36 months) after episode 2, which seems very reasonable.

Oh yeah! You're right! I completely overlooked that. Thanks for pointing it out. So, only 3 years difference. That makes a lot more sense :D

also i like to apologize to joetheeskimo5 for being trivial and adding nothing to the conversation, but if i read the book correctly

commandos are put in hibernation when not preparing for or participating in a mission. and in the book it started on geonosis because that's when one commando lost all his teamates, but advances 3 months during the hibernation when they are awaken to prepare for the mission (about a weeks time).

and using the fact the game starts 0 months after geonosis has nothing to do with the book because it is a totally different team.

Ah...good point. You've proved me wrong twice. ;)
Page: 1 of 1