Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Too linear?

Page: 1 of 1
 lukeiamyourdad
05-27-2004, 8:05 PM
From what I saw of the trailer, this game seems extremely linear. See how you order your clones to open and cover? They seem to be heavily scripted in. As it might be fun, replayability won't be so great.
 ZBomber
05-27-2004, 8:34 PM
Well, they might be scripited just for the trailer to make it easier.... its pretty hard, guess we'll have to play the game first to decide. ;)
 StormHammer
05-28-2004, 7:05 AM
I think it will be linear, and while I'm not a fan of strict linearity, a heavily-scripted game can still be fun and enjoyable to play. Just look at Call Of Duty, Max Payne or Half-Life - which are so on the rails linear you can almost see the tracks under your feet. The original Dark Forces was also very much a linear experience - in fact, most FPS games suffer from this particular complaint.

In my view, they should design levels with multiple pathways to reach an objective. You can still have scripted sequences via each route, and still place the appropriate markers on objects/locations for your team to use -
while at the same time offering a bit more choice to the player.

This game isn't trying to be something like Ghost Recon where you plan routes beforehand, and micro-manage your team - and I'm glad, because I'm not a big fan of strictly 'tactical' shooters. While you might have more freedom in the terrain with those types of games, they still have scripted events kicking in that you have to work through.

Anyway, if the level design itself is well executed, and the gameplay and 'story' is compelling, then I can put my dislike of linearity on the back burner while playing RC. It may not initially have a high replay value, but if the gameplay in SP is very well designed, then I will probably replay it some time in the future. After all, I've done that with a lot of my games already, linear or not.
 adillon
05-29-2004, 12:13 PM
and i'm sure the trailer is just trying to showcase the glitz and glamour the game has to offer. personally, i'd like to see a choice in how objectives are accomplished, be it sneaking through the shadows or guns-a-blazing, and multiple routes to get to said objectives. but in order to even have objectives there must be some linearity and event scripting.
 ZBomber
05-29-2004, 6:35 PM
I dunno, it doesn't really seem like a sneak-in-the-shadows type of game.... yes, its dark, but seems more like a shooter/action game......
 Doomie
05-31-2004, 11:54 AM
I thought that was also supposed to be so... afterall, commando's don't carry guns for nothing.
 Sabretooth
06-01-2004, 6:43 AM
Linear? Not sure...

I will buy it ONLY IF IT IS GOOD AND NOT VERY LINEAR

*grinds teeth*
 ZBomber
06-01-2004, 8:40 PM
Well, I'd still buy it. Like luke said, if its linear, it will be fun, but it won't be very fun to replay. ;)
 adillon
06-05-2004, 2:09 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I dunno, it doesn't really seem like a sneak-in-the-shadows type of game.... yes, its dark, but seems more like a shooter/action game......
sorry, i wasn't talking about a 'splinter cell' experience, but just that different locations/objectives MAY call for different tactics.
:rolleyes:
 Pad
06-06-2004, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I think it will be linear, and while I'm not a fan of strict linearity, a heavily-scripted game can still be fun and enjoyable to play. Just look at Call Of Duty, Max Payne or Half-Life - which are so on the rails linear you can almost see the tracks under your feet. The original Dark Forces was also very much a linear experience - in fact, most FPS games suffer from this particular complaint.

In my view, they should design levels with multiple pathways to reach an objective. You can still have scripted sequences via each route, and still place the appropriate markers on objects/locations for your team to use -
while at the same time offering a bit more choice to the player.

This game isn't trying to be something like Ghost Recon where you plan routes beforehand, and micro-manage your team - and I'm glad, because I'm not a big fan of strictly 'tactical' shooters. While you might have more freedom in the terrain with those types of games, they still have scripted events kicking in that you have to work through.

Anyway, if the level design itself is well executed, and the gameplay and 'story' is compelling, then I can put my dislike of linearity on the back burner while playing RC. It may not initially have a high replay value, but if the gameplay in SP is very well designed, then I will probably replay it some time in the future. After all, I've done that with a lot of my games already, linear or not.
I agree with you there Stormy. Games up to now are still too often lineair, but by adding some other paths to reach your destination would give it a more or less "replay" factor.
 ZBomber
06-06-2004, 5:31 PM
But if it can be easily modded, you don't really need so many choices, since people can make their own levels, which is better IMO. :)

EDIT - Stupid typos....
Page: 1 of 1