Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Block Coverage Discussion

Page: 1 of 1
 keshire
04-07-2004, 8:17 AM
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Apr/2004473590097327664882.jpg)

The diagonals and top are the current ones in-game. I added the two side ones, and I have a bottom one but I'm not sure its low enough, and/or if its needed.

You'll see that creates a box like blocking area. Razor wants to do this on each side. Giving full body coverage with blocks.

I'm pretty sure that doing back blocks aren't going to look the best, but they are possible.

Any ways I'm going to be adding screenshots here for any to critique. So feel free to rip them apart. I can take it. :)
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-07-2004, 8:31 AM
I think back blocks - if done right - would look bloody awesome actually Keshire :)

There are a couple of good examples of it. One in TPM (OB1) and another in AOTC (where Mace Windu blocks behind while running).

I reakon you'd need a couple of transition anims to initially turn round. I think these would need to be legs and torso, since just torso would probably look wierd. So this may be something which you have to be standing still to be able to execute - although if we could get a running back block in also that would be nice...

..and then once your turned round, maybe 3 or 4 different blocking anims. I wouldn't say these should be extensive - since I think these should only be one-off occurances. I dont' think Jedi's shoudl be able to continuously block fire behind them. But maybe something like on a timer - depedning on defense level and movemennt rate perhaps...

..my 2 cents
 keshire
04-07-2004, 9:40 AM
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Apr/2004476537487728548024.jpg)

You beat me to punch on that idea. That's exactly what I was thinking. A couple of sweeping blocks. But I really don't think that I need to do that as there are a few spinning anims that would fit nicely.

Just speed them up enough and take away the ability to move while doing it and it won't even seem like an attack.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
04-07-2004, 9:57 AM
..yeah - true
 Master_Keralys
04-07-2004, 3:06 PM
Those look really sweet, Keshire. How are they going to be implemented in terms of gameplay (or will that be the discretion of the coders like Razorace)? I like the back blocks; are those spin motions or what? B/c I think those would probably be both the easiest to implement and the bets in terms of visual appeal, just because they look awesome and very Jedi-ish.
 Lei Hng Wei
04-07-2004, 5:04 PM
For the back blocks, how about using the end part of the saber staff animation where it spins around/behind the head?
 razorace
04-07-2004, 5:32 PM
Originally posted by keshire
I think back blocks - if done right - would look bloody awesome actually Keshire

There are a couple of good examples of it. One in TPM (OB1) and another in AOTC (where Mace Windu blocks behind while running).

I reakon you'd need a couple of transition anims to initially turn round. I think these would need to be legs and torso, since just torso would probably look wierd. So this may be something which you have to be standing still to be able to execute - although if we could get a running back block in also that would be nice...

..and then once your turned round, maybe 3 or 4 different blocking anims. I wouldn't say these should be extensive - since I think these should only be one-off occurances. I dont' think Jedi's shoudl be able to continuously block fire behind them. But maybe something like on a timer - depedning on defense level and movemennt rate perhaps...

..my 2 cents

Spinning around your character to block behind you would a huge hassle to code in. I think it would better to create animations that realistically cover the back arc postions without turning around and I think it would look cooler.

Secondly, Ive been thinking about having transition anims for the blocks. I think the best system would have transitions between each block position, that way we'd be able to prevent the current problem with the autoblock spazing between block positions. Of course, this would mean a lot of animation work.
 Gotaiken
04-08-2004, 4:55 AM
hope the animators are ready
 keshire
04-08-2004, 4:57 AM
hope the animators are ready

:ball:
 razorace
04-08-2004, 5:26 AM
Get back to work! :D
 Nym-Feeorin
05-03-2004, 8:43 AM
I downloaded the beta with the blocking system, i find it very annoying how slow the saber moves. It does get boring sometimes and limits game play.
 lonepadawan
05-03-2004, 9:02 AM
*sigh*

Tried ajusting the saber anim speed in the console? Tried reading the readme?
 kusanagi
05-14-2004, 8:06 PM
wouldn't it be cool to use the first part of the red kata as back blocks?? just a thought
 keshire
05-14-2004, 11:52 PM
The more I think about it the more I don't think the idea of animated blocks is a very good one. Even transitions. Because that increases the time it takes to move onto some other action. Wich could mean life or death.

Now if I just make a whole bunch of single frame positions codewise it should be possible to make it look like its transitioning. And should fix the spazzing saber blade as it tries to figure the best block position out of the current 5.

I'm sure we could kill the transition anims midmove but that defeats the purpose of making them.
 keshire
06-10-2004, 4:04 AM
Ok this has been sorted out, revised, and finalized.

New blocking system (http://www.aotctc.com/forums/download.php?id=426)

360+ frames as opposed to 5 originally

went from 5 positions, to 8 in front, 2 on each side, and 1 in back.

transitions from start to block, and block to block. Nearly done waiting on RazorAce to finsih some code. Then to finish Duals and staffs.
 Gotaiken
06-10-2004, 4:53 AM
amazing, simply amazing
 keshire
06-11-2004, 4:02 AM
 lonepadawan
06-11-2004, 11:39 AM
so exactly how much is this going to increase the filesize by exactly?
 razorace
06-11-2004, 1:52 PM
Well, there's the the whole .gla file, which is required for ANY new animations. It weighs in at about 13 megs.
 Gotaiken
06-11-2004, 10:04 PM
this is so damn great...
 razorace
06-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Well, good news/bad news.

The Good:

A. We've implimented the system.
B. It looks pretty good.

The Bad:

A. The current block animations need to be tweaked.
B. Due to the way the player clipping is handled, an attacker can get thru your blocking by getting very, very close.
 keshire
06-11-2004, 11:07 PM
an attacker can get thru your blocking by getting very, very close.

Auto-punch? Once we get grabbing in the saber attacks implemented that wouldn't be the best idea anyway.
 razorace
06-12-2004, 12:09 AM
haha. an interesting idea, but I'd be worried that the auto-punch would be turned into an offensive weapon. Maybe just make Force Push push the attacker back and make the sabers lethal when the attacker touches the block blade. That way both players have a damn good reason to keep away from each other.
Page: 1 of 1