Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Martial Arts and Jk?

Page: 1 of 1
 JediLiberator
03-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Mkay. I was curious to see which styles of martial arts do people think could be used to help expand and improve to the saber fighting in the JK series. Oh and explain why ya think so too please. This includes weapon disiplines and empty handed ones. Have at it folks!
 Sam Fisher
03-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Well, I think it would be interesting if there was kicks when you hafe a saber out, it would double the guy over or something.. Small hilt bashes, spin kicks to get them off their feet.... stuff like that :)
 Tinny
03-18-2004, 3:19 AM
buahhaha, ninjitsu and karate :D
 Tinny
03-18-2004, 3:21 AM
ack, it won't let me edit. i was hoping you could press the kata combo while having dual pistols out and do a gun kata move like in the movie equilibrium, now that would be :evanpiel: + :fett:
 JediLiberator
03-18-2004, 3:52 AM
remember folks elaborate on WHY you choose said martial arts. And tinny, I never knew you could put :evanpiel: +:fett: together. Sounds cool though. Carry on!
 Prime
03-18-2004, 4:28 PM
Who needs martial arts when you have the force?
 Sam
03-18-2004, 7:59 PM
Why would you use martial arts if you could just chop the guy in half?

If you go in a fight puching you will just get sliced up.
 JediLiberator
03-18-2004, 8:10 PM
I thought I clarified this earlier, when I talk about martial arts I mean weapons training as well as unarmed combat moves. And sometimes its a more viable option to kick someone in the face than use your weapon. Or some other such move with an available limb. When I look at the movements in JO and JA it seems pretty unatural compared to what martial artists do. Just wondering which movements people would WANT to base jedi fighting on.
 Tinny
03-18-2004, 8:44 PM
look at the qui gon vs. darth maul fight in episode 1. that was flooded with martial arts moves along side the force and lightsaber. i want something like that :)
 Kurgan
03-18-2004, 8:50 PM
Just so long as we don't imitate SW Galaxies by making it so you can "kick" an ignited Lightsaber blade (or "block" a kick with your blade and NOT have the person's foot sheared off).

Heh. ; )
 Tinny
03-18-2004, 11:57 PM
those are boots made of cortosis :p
 Kurgan
03-19-2004, 3:24 AM
I forgot about good ol' Cortosis, thanks!

That also explains why Battledroids could block your saber with their arms in "Jedi Power Battles."

Cortosis sleeves!

Sounds like some item you'd find for sale in some seedy weapons shop.
 acdcfanbill
03-19-2004, 6:41 AM
you know, for one of the rarest most expensive substances in the SW universe, cortosis is sure all over the place on ever two bit bad guy you can think of :)
 Kurgan
03-19-2004, 8:39 AM
Sort of like Kryptonite! *cough*ripoff*cough*cough*

(Ysalamari are kryptonite for Jedi, Cortosis for lightsabers!)

Thank goodness for EU wanknology!
 ksk h2o
03-19-2004, 9:16 AM
I'm still laughing over the fact that your feet were ten times deadlier than any light saber in JO.

I mean hey, people would swing and swing and swing and swing to try to hit a target right in front of them while all you had to do was kick em in the face four or five times.

I would much rather have better saber attacks based on kendo schools rather than the 'i'll swing my saber like a baseball bat' style we have now.
 Master William
03-19-2004, 2:21 PM
Kurgan, about the SWG thing... it's called RPG ;)
 Prime
03-19-2004, 3:23 PM
Originally posted by Tinny
look at the qui gon vs. darth maul fight in episode 1. Who both ended up dead, coincidently...

Their reliance on weak martial arts spelled their doom!
 Crow_Nest
03-20-2004, 3:24 PM
You know martial arts, kung fu and all those stuff doesnt really flow together with the force and jedi dont you think?

Then we would be seeing jedi doing kung fu stunts from chinese martial arts movies.....
 t3rr0r
03-20-2004, 4:26 PM
don't forget, "jedi" was derived from "jidai geki," which is a japanese period drama. ;) so there is that little connection between the two "cultures" (if you consider star wars culture?).
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 8:18 AM
And then there's "Jedi Bendu" from the early scripts, and "Prana Bindu" the muscle training martial arts used by the Bene Gesserit characters in Dune. ; )

Btw, what's the context for that "ChangKhan" quote?
 Tinny
03-23-2004, 3:29 PM
hah, the quote in his sig is from a thread about asteroids or destroyer where one kid said he didn't like the maps or something like that.
 EvilKnick
03-23-2004, 3:57 PM
I wish when you swung your saber, insted of immediatly going back to your stance you could hold you saber extended in the last attack you made and swing your next attack from thaat point and so on.

As long as you held an alternate "hold" key you would hold your last position you swung in,...

Kind of like how in episode2 when ANakin leaves his mother's tortured body and kills that first sandperson,...then he leaves his saber poised and ready to bring down on the next one before the scene ends,...
 t3rr0r
03-23-2004, 5:13 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Btw, what's the context for that "ChangKhan" quote?
it should be somewhere in the asteroids thread... or at least i think it was...
 Prime
03-23-2004, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by EvilKnick
As long as you held an alternate "hold" key you would hold your last position you swung in,... And that's when I'd kill you...
Page: 1 of 1