Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Where's the ffa these days?

Page: 1 of 2
 Mazzi_Elixar
03-14-2004, 4:25 AM
Ok....Jedi Knight 1 and 2 use to be my favorite games. I could always find a server where it was a total ffa and chaos and it was great. I love fighting multiple players at the same time...it's such a rush. But now here comes Jedi Academy....when the game first came out I could go find a ffa server and actually have a ffa match. There were occasional duels wich were cool, but most of the action was everyone-verses-everyone and it was beautiful.
I took a break from the game and played some other games. After a couple months I decided to start playing Jedi Academy Multiplayer ffa again. After trying to find a server all day that actually has "free for all" and comming up short, I decided to post this forum asking.........

IS THERE ANY SERVERS IN THE WORLD THAT HAVE TRUE FFA'S ANYMORE?

Every ffa server that I go to everyone is either dueling or farting around. Whats up with that? Don't tell me everyone actually gets enjoyment by comming in to a Jedi Acadamy server and doing nothing but jump off the walls and stand in one place. And when i see somone with their saber out and they act like they want to fight, and I fight them, it is considered laming? LOL...Last time i played this game laming was hitting people with their saber down...not actually playing the game the way its supposed to be played.
I mean come on....there are "duel" servers for people that want to do nothing other than have one-on-one fights. But Noooooo......half the people that want to do nothing but duel come to a ffa server and ruin the beautiful thing that was once "everbody verses everybody". The other half of the ffa server population is people that just want to fart around and chat. This awsome game is all of a sudden the most boring multiplayer game I have because nobody likes fighting multiple enemies anymore.
Anyone play a ffa match in old school Unreal Tournement? Or Quake? Or Doom? Remember that feeling of everyone is a target, and you are targeted by everyone? That rush that you have 3 or more players shooting you at the same time and somehow you manage to kill them all? Did you ever stop, take a bow, and challenge just one player to a one-on-one fight? No!..You didn't! Cause everyone is trying to get kills as fast as freakin possable so they can win the map! Jedi Acadamy "WAS" like those games except you get to kill with a lightsaber. It was great!
Now I have problems just finding somone willing to ....you know...actually play the game....and fight me. I'm running around a map for 5 min....then I finally find a group of players....and they are all standing in a group doing nothing. WTF!? And when I actually find somone that wants to fight it always has to be a 1-on-1 duel. So then I have to wait tell they finish their dule with who freakin ever. Free For All People! That means every one verses everyone in complete heart rushing chaos. Duel Server: That means a server for people that just want one-on-one fights.......sheesh.
If I ever get enough money to make my own Jedi Academy FFA server, I am taking the right to DULE off....I like the occasional dule every once in a while....but dule abuse leaves me no choice. But lol...with my luck with the players these days....they would come in the server just to jump up and down and chat since they couldnt dule.
So is there any true ffa servers out there anymore? Otherwise the only way I can play the type of game I want to play is to play the bots. And thats pretty flippin sad people.
 TK-8252
03-14-2004, 4:53 AM
This has been discussed many times... all have ended in a lock. We don't need another one of these threads.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-14-2004, 7:55 AM
Cut him some slack, it's his first post and he is sincerely asking a question. Some of us know exactly how he feels.

The answer to your question is yes, there are still some "genuine" Free For All servers around, but they are the minority. Most servers running the FFA game in Jedi Knight games are actually "FFA dueling" servers, often with a lot of chatting and role-playing (not real RPG in the true sense, more like kids playing make-believe) going on. They are just as you described, and yes, it makes Jedi Knight games totally eccentric oddballs compared to virtually every other FPS action game.

That's why most of the old-school true-blue FFA players have left in disgust for real FFA games like UT2k4 demo, Call of Duty, Halo, etc. (in fact, almost any other FPS game you could name), leaving the dueling\role-playing\chit-chatting types (many of whom are too cheap to pay for Star Wars Galaxies) to loiter on "FFA" servers in JK2\JA.

Once you find a real FFA server, add it to your Favorites and avoid the pseudo-FFA servers. How do you spot the fake-FFA servers so you can avoid them? One way is to avoid servers that have Force powers disabled (has a tic-tac-toe with a red slashed-circle-over-it symbol after the server name) AND are saber-only (looks like a crossed-swords symbol). Those are almost always fake-FFA servers, especially if they have "admins" that are bossing everyone around like hall monitors for breaking one of the many many rules on those servers, and "sleeping" those who aren't paying attention to them.

You don't list where you are located, but there are "genuine" FFA servers both in North America and Europe. If you still can't find any, send me a private message and I'll give you some names\IP addresses.

Another idea is to start playing Capture the Flag (CTF), which is pretty much free of the dueling\role-playing\chit-chatting\"I hate lamers" whining types. They whine about other things (uneven\unfair teams, pull-whoring, rocket-spamming, incompetence, etc.).
 Druid Allanon
03-14-2004, 9:13 AM
You can try Chop Shop. Great place that is. ;)
 TK-8252
03-14-2004, 9:15 AM
Ah, my new favorite Chop Shop server: ASTEROIDS! :D
 kolusiem
03-14-2004, 10:17 AM
hey Mazzi_Elixar! i know how you feel, find a JKA Siege server with 10+ players in if you want some good fraging, i love siege and everyone plays, people hardly ever chat, everyone gets on the with game and its alot of fun and no-one stands around and chats
 Crow_Nest
03-14-2004, 1:02 PM
*Sigh*

Well you know since JA came out, all the rules went upside down. People laming, more whining because of the laming/spamming, ignore your warnings and stuff.

Not like the JO days anymore. :(
 Radd
03-14-2004, 2:14 PM
My major complaint is people limiting the force powers you can choose from, horribly unbalancing the game in the process, or going saber only or guns only. It's difficult to find a server where it' free to use guns or sabers, and all the force powers the game comes with.
 Kurgan
03-14-2004, 7:09 PM
I agree, people jack up the settings, removing force powers at random, and messing with the force regen time, THEN they have the gall to complain that the game is "unbalanced."

Or they use (abuse) admin mods causing people to call the game, making people hate it even more and driving them away.

Of course JK2 and JA both have admin mods and in JK2 it's arguably worse...

Whenever I host FFA it is ALWAYS true FFA. I have never hosted (yet) a force power disabled FFA.

I figure there's enough of those out there that people don't need one more force disabled saber only server.

Mine is strictly "no rules" (except I don't care for killtrackers!).

I too when I'm looking for a public game (rarely these days since it's so hard to find a good one that isn't top-heavy with rules) I avoid sabers only and force disabled right off the bat. If I see any hint of an admin mod being run I also avoid those (chances are it will only take 30 seconds for the admin to start sleep/slaying me continously for "laming" somebody).

Spread the word! Get those no rules servers up!
 Druid Allanon
03-15-2004, 7:27 AM
Unfortunately, Kurgan, your server's always too laggy for me. :( I can't enjoy myself there.
 Crow_Nest
03-15-2004, 8:13 AM
Originally posted by Druid Allanon
Unfortunately, Kurgan, your server's always too laggy for me. :( I can't enjoy myself there.

FFA in his server seems fine for me, its only siege that is very laggy.
 Kurgan
03-15-2004, 8:16 AM
Sorry to hear that.

I don't always host Siege though, you should check it out later today and I should be hosting FFA (grab the bonus pack if you haven't already as I may be hosting that too!).

The whole "whiner" issue thing won't go away if you go back to JK2 though. Both games are plagued with the whiner mentality. If you do something the admin doesn't like, he uses his admin mod to torment you. If the other players don't like what you do, they vote kick you or whine to the admin. It never fails, spoil sports are in both communities and (most sadly of all) many of them run servers. This is why no-rules servers are needed more than ever.
 <-KRT->Dhart
03-15-2004, 10:41 AM
I have often wondered why more people that like FFA don't give Team deathmatch a shot. Our clan server runs SO Team deathmatch 24/7 and it's an all kills are legal, no whining server. We run Xmod and the server stays full.

Honor whiners rarely join but when they do, they never last/stay long as the regulars police them up quickly. For people wanting to play, It's a much better atmosphere than FFA.

Oh well, to each their own!
 Prime
03-15-2004, 3:38 PM
Try the Chop Shop servers. That is where I spend most of my JA MP time. Some good fights there...
 Kurgan
03-15-2004, 9:42 PM
Yeah, it's sadly neglected gametype.

You have Duel, Duels in FFA, and... ummm... uh... admin mods?

Just goes to show the imagination and variety of some admins.
; p
 Cosmos Jack
03-15-2004, 11:59 PM
This subject is going to go on forever and the game isn't getting any better in MP. "Kurgan" why don't you make a permanent :STUCK: thread that tells all about this problem. So people will stop making new threads for the same old thing.:o
 Kurgan
03-17-2004, 9:15 PM
Yeah but then nobody will read it. ; p

If I had a dime for every topic posted that needed a sticky I'd be a millionaire... but there's only so much room up there before folks start complaining because other topics get pushed to page 2 and you have to scroll to see non-stickies!

PS: My server is up right now with Team FFA rotating (and the JA Bonus Pack so grab that). See IP in sig below... !
 <-KRT->Dhart
03-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Try the Chop Shop servers. That is where I spend most of my JA MP time. Some good fights there...

I have tried it and it's fun no doubt. Personally though, I can't get into a game all the time where saber damage scale is set to 5 and where the force regentime is so fast people never run out of force pool.

Nothing wrong with that, I just don't get into it a lot. Those that do have a lot of fun to be sure. :-)
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-18-2004, 1:40 AM
Originally posted by <-KRT->Dhart
I have tried it and it's fun no doubt. Personally though, I can't get into a game all the time where saber damage scale is set to 5 and where the force regentime is so fast people never run out of force pool.

Nothing wrong with that, I just don't get into it a lot. Those that do have a lot of fun to be sure. :-) You are the only the second person to complain that the Force regeneration is too fast. The other is probably the best all-time Chop Shop FFA player (JK2 and JA), so....

How about this: I changed the FFA settings to the same as the CTF server. Saber damage is 4x (I really think the single-saber needs it to balance the other saber types, and for sabers to balance against the range and power of gunners) and Force regeneration is 2x normal. Dismemberment changed to 50% probability.

People who have played on my server should try it and let me know what you think.
 Kurgan
03-18-2004, 9:58 PM
I haven't been to your server for awhile Amidala, so I can't say... whatever works for you works.

But I do recall that 5x saber damage seemed excessive (maybe with force regen so high it balances out better)?

The key is that with 2x the saber seems about balanced with guns. With 5x, the saber seems more powerful. It shifts the balance a little too far in the sabers only direction.

And with the number of 1 hit kill moves increasing drastically each time (especially in Duel where you don't have shield pickups), isn't 5x simply overkill? Eventually you get to the point where any swing becomes a one hit kill, regardless of where it hits a person. I suppose that's sort of realistic (not like the movies of course, where people have survived glancing blows and hand dismemberments), but c'mon... it's too much.

If you want to encourage people to use only sabers, that'd be a good way to do it, using 4x and up (+fast force regen).

But then the thing is the community has so many "saber purists" out there that already play this way, this just encourages more people to play without guns and take up sabering.

Me, I prefer to use all the weapons, so 2x damage is just right, great for fast duels, great for sabers vs. guns, etc. 3x is pushing it, but that's probably as high as I'd ever go.

That's my opinion. With ForceRegentime I use 200, the default. I prefer to force (pun intended) people to manage their resources instead of simply spamming one move over and over (and then whining how the game is nothing but spamming). It also makes Force Boons actually worth something strategically, rather than just pretty graphics.

If a person were to choose some number BETWEEN 0 and 200 for the "ideal fun setting" I don't know what it would be. Maybe 150 is good, I dunno. I know 200 works and I know that 0 doesn't work (the only time I change it to zero is if I want to test something and want to just save time).

One place I really think messing with forceregen (also disabling certain weapons or powers) is unwise is in Siege, where certain classes have faster force regen than others, for the sake of balance. I admit I use 2x saber damage in Siege, but again, since it's not a duel and it's guns vs. sabers and the Jedi are so weak, it seems applicable. 2x damage works everywhere pretty darn well.
 RpTheHotrod
03-19-2004, 3:29 AM
Problem with increased saber damage...the duals sabers become extremely overpowered.

Highest defense (which makes NO sense...you would have more defense having a 2 hand grip with a single, than a 1 hand grip on two seperate sapers...less strength in the arm...simple truth is, it would be harder to defend with 2 sabers than 1 saber)

and since it's two sabers...and they swing wildly, all you gotta do is button mash and run through crowds and you get all the kills. Takes no aim at all, and one lil touch will 1 hit kill.
 Kurgan
03-19-2004, 8:41 AM
Not necessarily, "one lil touch" will only do 1 hp damage (if idle damage is on).

They have to swing and hit flesh to do damage that's what we're talking about.

A duel will just be shorter with saberdamagescale yes, but 2x duels are actually quite fun.

Or do you enjoy waiting in line for long periods of time while two people hack away at each other with Nerf Bats while they heal over and over?

High saber damage prevents people from Drain/Heal spamming all day long and making the duel take forever.

Though yeah I probably wouldn't go higher than 2x for Duels unless there's a super long line (which I have seen before).

The whole idea of increasing the damage is that instead of having a couple of 1 hit kill moves (which will never get any stronger) you can have more one hit kill moves, to mix it up. That way you don't have people spamming the same moves over and over, which everybody complains about.

Now if you jack up forceregen you're just going to have more spamming. At least if most moves are one hit kills you can still have some variety.
 keshire
03-19-2004, 9:16 AM
I'd like to see an admin mod be bold and disable FFA dueling. Dueling should go in dueling mode You don't see people FFAing in Duel mode.

Also, I'm liking the way Movie battles and OJP are taking the whole damage thing. Ways are being put into avoid the damage so that all damage can be cranked up to lethal levels.

I think all the guns need to be lethal too. One or two hit kills. Rocket launcher should have the explosion be bigger and I'd just pull the normal blaster out unless its on par with the others.

The reason the two new styles get those instant kills is the fact that half the time the sabers are being swung at head height. Its an animation problem not a damage one. The only way to solve that is either take out the location damage or go through and do specific damage per saber move.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-19-2004, 2:56 PM
Originally posted by keshire
I'd like to see an admin mod be bold and disable FFA dueling. Dueling should go in dueling mode You don't see people FFAing in Duel mode.g_privateDuel "0" disables duel challenging during FFA. That's the way it is on my FFA server (even though many people don't like it, too bad). I used to have an automated server message that said "Dueling is for duel servers, this is FFA". Two people dueling is two less people participating in the FFA. It's distracting to people trying to play FFA (I assume that's the game they came to my server to play). Yes, I am a FFA purist: full weapons, full Force, all kills are legal, no dueling, no whining.

I think all the guns need to be lethal too. One or two hit kills. Rocket launcher should have the explosion be bigger and I'd just pull the normal blaster out unless its on par with the others.xMod2.6 allows control of gun damage. When the next version (with certain bugs fixed) comes out, I will make the bowcaster a 1-hit killer like it is in single-player, and increase the damage of the E-11 (blaster), flechette primary fire, and DEMP.

The reason the two new styles get those instant kills is the fact that half the time the sabers are being swung at head height. Its an animation problem not a damage one. The only way to solve that is either take out the location damage or go through and do specific damage per saber move. g_locationBasedDamage "0" turns off location-based damage. JA Plus Mod 1.8 allows control of damage for each saber move. My FFA server currently has it. I increased the single-saber damage and decreased the staff and dual saber damages. It also allows a choice of single-player-style damage or multiplayer-style damage.
 Master William
03-19-2004, 3:55 PM
I dunno man, I am so tired of JA, I almost hate it now... it sucks so damn hard now, I have been playing way better Star Wars games like KOTOR and SWG, and JA feels like a piece of crap now... All I know is that the same kind of persons make their huge posts in threads like these, so blah blah blah as usual...
 Autobot Traitor
03-19-2004, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by Master William
I dunno man, I am so tired of JA, I almost hate it now... it sucks so damn hard now, I have been playing way better Star Wars games like KOTOR and SWG, and JA feels like a piece of crap now... All I know is that the same kind of persons make their huge posts in threads like these, so blah blah blah as usual...

I have to disagree, the multiplayer offers much more diveristy than you can get in a sigle player game. Granted, kotor is much more polished but it cant sustain interest as long as JA can.
 saurumonk
03-19-2004, 10:23 PM
I agree the best servers for real FFA are amidalas and kurgans meatgrinder..

i was in the clan sith FFA the other day where they all stayed in one place with saber off and when you come in they would spam force powers with saber off then you kill them they call you a lamer and kick you....

they are not the only fags that do this ive seen several servers like that- they know who they are and unfortunately nothing can be done about it except not going back to the pre-pubescent brats server

thats why the 2 I mentioned are so great- can do anything you want without reprocutions

--Nalukai
 <-KRT->Dhart
03-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Master William

So....why even post to this thread then, go play Kotor or SWG.
 Autobot Traitor
03-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by saurumonk
I
they are not the only fags that do this ive seen several servers like that-

--Nalukai

First off, dont use language like that around here, it's derogatory and offensive to everyone.
Second, alot of server including my clan's dont run around mindlessly killing eachother because it's a training server for lightsaber duels. Before you go around lamming, make sure its permissable.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-20-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
Second, alot of server including my clan's dont run around mindlessly killing eachother because it's a training server for lightsaber duels. Before you go around lamming, make sure its permissable. Just two suggestions:

1. If you are having training sessions with your clan or a group of regulars, put a password on the server during those sessions (you can always take it off later). That will prevent unwanted disruptions.

2. A good way to train for Dueling is to run the Dueling or Power Dueling gametype instead of the FFA gametype. You can have an instructor and one or two "demonstrators". Everyone else is forced to pay attention because they are in Spectator. They can view the lesson from any vantage point in the map, or from the point of view of the instructor or demonstrator. Then they can take turns being the instructor or demonstrator, if desired.

It also avoids confusion causing by running a Dueling server under the FFA gametype. People looking for FFA won't go to your server and find out it is something other than what it supposed to be.

And again, if you are looking for genuine FFA, avoid saber-only Force-disabled admin mod-running "FFA" servers. They are likely to be Dueling servers in disguise.
 saurumonk
03-20-2004, 12:55 AM
whoa whoa johney stop riiight there, first off....if it is not one of 7 words that are considered by the FCC as derogatory ill feel free to use it whenever i feel like it...

and second off when you sit with your saber off and throw out a force grip to help someone else that has a saber on youll get a blue lunge in the ass- that is not "lamming"-get your stuff straight before you come at me with that crap.

i understand there are lightsaber training ffas out there and got no problem with that. end of conversation

thank you, drive through.........
 TK-8252
03-20-2004, 1:33 AM
Well, see, when you resort to calling people "fags" in an attempt to prove a point, you're really just showing that your intelligence is too low to really have a valid point. :)
 saurumonk
03-20-2004, 2:28 AM
fag- (noun) old english derivitive of faug
1. a bundle of sticks
2. a single cigarette
3. a slang term for a homosexual
4. somone who abuses or contributes to the abuse of someone trying to have fun
5. sith clan
6. any others that participate in the same actions as them or takes up for them considering there are alot worse things said here
7. ....:D
 TK-8252
03-20-2004, 3:04 AM
:lol:

LOL, once again you proved MY point! :D
 Lathain Valtiel
03-20-2004, 3:16 AM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
You are the only the second person to complain that the Force regeneration is too fast. The other is probably the best all-time Chop Shop FFA player (JK2 and JA), so....

How about this: I changed the FFA settings to the same as the CTF server. Saber damage is 4x (I really think the single-saber needs it to balance the other saber types, and for sabers to balance against the range and power of gunners) and Force regeneration is 2x normal. Dismemberment changed to 50% probability.

People who have played on my server should try it and let me know what you think.

I assume you refer to me there, since I almost always win and have mentioned my distaste for the super force regen. If so, thanks for the compliment (And people wonder why I'm an arrogant bastard).

Annnyway. I've been to it today (And have so far been called a fag and a pussy for tearing the residents apart. Ironically supposedly I can't duel, but tell that to residents of Old Folks Home.), and I approve of the lowered force regen greatly. Pity it doesn't detract from pretty much the only technique that beats me in Chop Shop (Lovingly mentioned in the "which saber is more powerful " thread. Heh.). Oh well, can't have everything.

As it stands, Ami and Kurgan have it down. Sith Academy used to be an awesome FFA server, but it's gone now. Same goes for Kaiasowapit's server.
 Autobot Traitor
03-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Just two suggestions:

1. If you are having training sessions with your clan or a group of regulars, put a password on the server during those sessions (you can always take it off later). That will prevent unwanted disruptions.

2. A good way to train for Dueling is to run the Dueling or Power Dueling gametype instead of the FFA gametype. You can have an instructor and one or two "demonstrators". Everyone else is forced to pay attention because they are in Spectator. They can view the lesson from any vantage point in the map, or from the point of view of the instructor or demonstrator. Then they can take turns being the instructor or demonstrator, if desired.

It also avoids confusion causing by running a Dueling server under the FFA gametype. People looking for FFA won't go to your server and find out it is something other than what it supposed to be.

And again, if you are looking for genuine FFA, avoid saber-only Force-disabled admin mod-running "FFA" servers. They are likely to be Dueling servers in disguise.

Excellent suggestions, and if it were in my hands, I would probably implement them, the only thing is that there is around 12-16 members around at a time and to do 1 on 1 duels would take a very long time making it less than practical. The general concensis is we do lock the server on weekends, where most members come along. During the week it runs under the banner of (server name) Training server-All welcome.
When the map loads, the rules are displayed for all to view.
Unfortunatly, there are alot of padwans and other ffa'ers who come along. Most of them respect what they are told and train like we would. Other times, they dont, and one of our many admins has some fun with his or her wide range of admin command

:D :D
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-20-2004, 4:39 PM
Originally posted by Lathain Valtiel
I assume you refer to me there, since I almost always win and have mentioned my distaste for the super force regen. If so, thanks for the compliment (And people wonder why I'm an arrogant bastard). Um, no, actually I wasn't, LOL.

You are the only the second person to complain that the Force regeneration is too fast. The other is probably the best all-time Chop Shop FFA player (JK2 and JA), so....

You are very very good but I don't think you played on my JK2 server.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-20-2004, 4:59 PM
Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
During the week it runs under the banner of (server name) Training server-All welcome.

Unfortunatly, there are alot of padwans and other ffa'ers who come along. Most of them respect what they are told and train like we would. Other times, they dont, and one of our many admins has some fun with his or her wide range of admin command

With all due respect, this is a prime example of exactly why these misunderstandings occur....

Your server name says "All welcome", but that isn't really true, now is it? (False advertising). So-called "lamers" (actually, people who were looking for an FFA game and who were unfortunately lured to your "FFA" server) aren't welcome, are they?

Unless your admins enjoy luring in poor misled souls so they can "have some fun" abusing them with their "wide range of admin commands" :rolleyes: I think a better sv_hostname would be "(server name) Training server-No laming!" or "(server name) Training server-No FFA!" or "(server name) Training server-Dueling only, no FFA!" or "(server name) Training server-Lamers not welcome" or "(server name) Training server-Dueling only, go to Kurgan's or Amidala's servers if you want REAL FFA" if you really want to be truthful, honest, clear, and "honorable".
 Frank1212
03-20-2004, 5:15 PM
Hey Amidala, I play on your Chop Shop servers from time to time. I've seen on your server, that one strike could kill no matter how weak it is. The dual sabers and staff have a huge advantage over single sabers because they usually hit first due to having two blades.

The damage on your servers are far too high. The ffa that goes on in there isn't about real saber skills, but about jumping and running around like crazy. In any other server without 5x saber damage, an experienced single saberist can beat any dual saber or staff users.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-20-2004, 6:01 PM
Originally posted by Frank1212
Hey Amidala, I play on your Chop Shop servers from time to time. I've seen on your server, that one strike could kill no matter how weak it is. The dual sabers and staff have a huge advantage over single sabers because they usually hit first due to having two blades.

The damage on your servers are far too high. The ffa that goes on in there isn't about real saber skills, but about jumping and running around like crazy. In any other server without 5x saber damage, an experienced single saberist can beat any dual saber or staff users. What about guns? With normal saber damage a good gunner will own all saberists. Watch oE|Eidolon on my server, he owns all without ever using a lightsaber.

I originally increased the saber damage on my JK2 server to balance sabers vs. guns (the 1.04 patch made sabers almost useless). There are only single sabers in JK2 (without mods) so it was simply a matter of balancing single sabers vs. guns.

Jedi Academy made it more complicated by adding the somewhat overpowered saber staff and the dual sabers to the mix. I decreased the saber damage from JK2 levels because of that, but it is still increased to give saberists a fighting chance against gunners. What you are saying would be true if my server was for Dueling or even saber-only FFA (yawn), but it isn't.
 Lathain Valtiel
03-20-2004, 6:25 PM
Awww.. Shame Ami. Pity I uninstalled JO, i might try it sometime and see how I do against singlers armed with the less anal on the aim flipkick.

Really, as far as I can tell the only really viable trick to use against supergunners is PullThrow.. since not even Absorb and Speed combined stop it from stopping you a good one will likely win against a gunner unless said gunner is really damn fast with the rockets or repeater secondary, or in JA's case add the Concussion to the list, though it's rate of fire is slow. This assumes the gun isn't ripped out of his/her hands.

However this is FFA we're talking, and due to generally limited force the supergunner will likely win since Speed lasts awhile and you can bunnyhop to go even faster. Don't mention Rage.

I miss Nutri on ProMod servers.. He made me scared of the bowcaster. I remember this one time where he bounced a bolt off the walls of FFA Star Destroyer and hit me in the back, killing me instantly. Beautiful by all counts.

Frank is kidding himself by the way. There's a reason a staff user is #1 on Old Folks Home, however I do agree on technical terms.

By the way..

Ami, you may want to ask for an idle saber damage modifier. When gun damage was ramped to one hit kill on Kaia's old Forcemod II server, you couldn't really try to swing at gunners as one poke with a bolt was death. The only real option was running into them with saber drawn to get the idle damage kill in a lot of cases...

But that's just my rambling.
 Autobot Traitor
03-21-2004, 4:27 PM
With all due respect, this is a prime example of exactly why these misunderstandings occur....

Your server name says "All welcome", but that isn't really true, now is it? (False advertising). So-called "lamers" (actually, people who were looking for an FFA game and who were unfortunately lured to your "FFA" server) aren't welcome, are they?

Unless your admins enjoy luring in poor misled souls so they can "have some fun" abusing them with their "wide range of admin commands" :rolleyes: I think a better sv_hostname would be "(server name) Training server-No laming!" or "(server name) Training server-No FFA!" or "(server name) Training server-Dueling only, no FFA!" or "(server name) Training server-Lamers not welcome" or "(server name) Training server-Dueling only, go to Kurgan's or Amidala's servers if you want REAL FFA" if you really want to be truthful, honest, clear, and "honorable".

I'll agree with to that, but just so you know, the "lamers" aren't abused. Admin chat is used to let them know that the behavior is not acceptable, if they persist, the are put to sleep while the admin confurs with them privately. If they wish abyde, they stay and everyone has a good time. Otherwise, they are asked to leave and are advised to check out your server.
Don't get me wrong, we understand the difference in gameplay style and we try to send people where they should be.
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 8:14 AM
The thing is, if you're going to kick and ban somebody anyway, what does it matter if they get a few points killing people in violation of your "rules"?

If people are just dueling on your server, it can't be that big a deal since JA doesn't count deaths against your score, and you respawn ready to go.

To me, "Admin Mods" are pointless abuses of power.
 Autobot Traitor
03-22-2004, 2:06 PM
Well imagine for a second that you and so and so want to duel somewhere. You get there and hit "k" and go into a duel. Some padwan comes at you while you are dueling and slashes at you in blue stance. It doesnt damage you, but they get in the way of the duelers.
Our server isnt all dueling; we mess around alot with shuttles and ties. Were not heartless as you might think because especialy on friday night, anything goes.

And Kurgan, you remind me alot of Methos:p
 Prime
03-22-2004, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
To me, "Admin Mods" are pointless abuses of power. :wstupid:
 acdcfanbill
03-22-2004, 4:02 PM
I dunno, call me crazy but i head off to those um, Duel servers when looking for a duel. Its a neat gamemode that Raven included for us. :D
 Kurgan
03-22-2004, 11:36 PM
 Autobot Traitor
03-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
I dunno, call me crazy but i head off to those um, Duel servers when looking for a duel. Its a neat gamemode that Raven included for us. :D

Gah, everyone here is so thick:p
 Prime
03-23-2004, 5:46 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
http://www.lucasforums.com/images/smilies/withstupid.gif) It only makes our argument stronger, Kurgan :)
 Lathain Valtiel
03-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Prime
It only makes our argument stronger, Kurgan :)

I'll Be With Stupid if you tell me where you get all those sexy Optimus Prime avatars like the one you're using.
Page: 1 of 2