Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

So where are all of the SP maps?

Page: 1 of 1
 Imperial_thug
03-04-2004, 5:43 PM
Does'nt anyone make SP maps anymore? I thought the SP game was the best part of JA. I would love to see some new SP maps like cloud city or something, or Jaden and Kyle scuttle a star destroyer. I was searching around and I found only one real SP map that's sad.
 Tyler_Durden
03-04-2004, 5:55 PM
There are some in development in the showcase forum. I had been planning a pretty epic campaign but the lack of features in the game and the fact that a new version of JKradiant wasn't released kind of killed the project (or at least put it in limbo for the time being) and i really don't like using GTK that much. I think a lot of the reason people don't put out alot of their work is that they want to do too much and end up becoming overwhelmed by the work involved, a lot of beginners do this. I remember for JO there was to be this big campaign starring Mace Windu that was made by one of the preeminent modders of star wars FPS games but the lack of models and the low frame rates, plus the limitations of the engine i believe caused him to quit his project. In the end, the Q3 engine is very malleable but ultimately limited in terms of a lot of people's imaginations. But that's just my opinion, i could be wrong.
 Prime
03-04-2004, 6:02 PM
Just so you know, you can play custom JO SP maps in JA. All the ones I have tried have worked fine...
 Imperial_thug
03-04-2004, 8:01 PM
Really??? Hmm, I just assumed that you could'nt play them because a few of the JO MP maps I tried in JA had missing texture issues. Still though there's a lot of good SP mappers for JO, how come none of them have switched over? Or have they already, is there anyone working on anything?
 Tyler_Durden
03-04-2004, 9:34 PM
Other than whats posted in the showcase forum, i would say probably not much. If the SP code were released however, i think you'd see about a 100% increase in SP map/mod production, myself included. Hopefully someday soon, eh?
 Kengo
03-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
If the SP code were released however, i think you'd see about a 100% increase in SP map/mod production, myself included. Hopefully someday soon, eh?

I genuinely doubt you'll see it anytime in the next 2 or 3 years.

GTK Radiant is a pain at first if you were used to JK2Radiant like I was, but you get used to it after a bit, its not so bad. I agree, aiming for something too massive is a common problem for people starting out in SP projects, and they never seem to finish those kind of projects. A single, small, polished and enjoyable SP level with no modification is a huge enough challenge as it is!

[self-plug]I think I can get away with this as we are hosted by the LF Network now :) I write a monthly column on released and upcoming SP projects for JO and JA, they appear over at Map-Review.com - http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=articles) [/self-plug]

Although things have been rather quiet in SP JA, there are some very cool projects in the works, although a lot of them may take some time, I think they will be worth it!
 Prime
03-05-2004, 3:09 AM
Originally posted by Kengo
aiming for something too massive is a common problem for people starting out in SP projects, and they never seem to finish those kind of projects. And that isn't just with JA...
 Tyler_Durden
03-05-2004, 4:34 AM
Originally posted by Kengo
I genuinely doubt you'll see it anytime in the next 2 or 3 years.

GTK Radiant is a pain at first if you were used to JK2Radiant like I was, but you get used to it after a bit, its not so bad. I agree, aiming for something too massive is a common problem for people starting out in SP projects, and they never seem to finish those kind of projects. A single, small, polished and enjoyable SP level with no modification is a huge enough challenge as it is!

[self-plug]I think I can get away with this as we are hosted by the LF Network now :) I write a monthly column on released and upcoming SP projects for JO and JA, they appear over at Map-Review.com - http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=articles) [/self-plug]

Although things have been rather quiet in SP JA, there are some very cool projects in the works, although a lot of them may take some time, I think they will be worth it!

Yeah it's a real shame because i think there are a lot of great mappers out there. I just can't comprehend why Luca$art$ doesn't want to release the code.
 Kengo
03-05-2004, 11:51 AM
The code is based on Quake 3, and they don't have the rights to that. I think thats the main reason. I honestly don't think you need it to mod almost anything you want anyway. Sure you can't create totally new weapons or change the gameplay massively, but you can still modfiy weapons to some degree, include new skins and models (and now vehicles and such as well), new levels with scripting and if you want, new music, new textures, new static models etc. I think SP projects like Collosuem and Dash Rendar: Resurgance show what can be done without any need for the SP source.

Yeh Prime, so much cool stuff doesn't get finished. Still, let us rejoice in those amazing things that do :)
 GothiX
03-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Won't the Q3 code be opensource after DooM 3 is released?
 Kengo
03-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
Won't the Q3 code be opensource after DooM 3 is released?

I wonder...

Did Id do that with Q2 when they released Q3? Not sure...
 Prime
03-05-2004, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I just can't comprehend why Luca$art$ doesn't want to release the code. Probably because they realize releasing intellectual property for free is a terrible business model.
 Tyler_Durden
03-05-2004, 5:50 PM
True but then again the engine is becoming somewhat obsolete in terms of new games. Although call of duty was quite awesome and used Q3 to its fullest...... who can say?
 Kengo
03-05-2004, 8:19 PM
CoD was Q3 engine? Didn't realise that. Q3 is definately getting very old, I imagine they will release it eventually, Id that is. Like I say, you can do an awful lot without it. I forgot to mention Kal El and Leslie Judges amazing NPC tool, thats another great thing to play around with for SP.
Page: 1 of 1