Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Crushing a Rancor

Page: 1 of 1
 Blaster
02-24-2004, 9:53 AM
Hi,

I am trying to kill a Rancor by crushing it with a door (Return of the Jedi). However when the door catches the Rancor underneath, it dies but it disappears and seems to get pushed through the floor when it closes. :(

I want it to die but actully make its body stay there when its dead.

Any ideas?
 lassev
02-24-2004, 1:01 PM
Is this for MP or SP?

And more precisely: Is this for a cinematic or for an actual game situation?
 Blaster
02-25-2004, 9:43 AM
It's for single player and I'm not using it as a cinematic.
 lassev
02-25-2004, 12:07 PM
So, basically it's a normal door that is normally usable to the player, and he can also crush the rancor with it?

Well, let's see. The way I would most probably try to do it, if the simplest way you already tried is no good, would be to make the door a func_static instead of a normal func_door. Then there should be a trigger to keep an eye on the rancor. When the player uses the button to close the door, and the rancor happens to be under the door, a different script compared to the normal door opening / closing script would launch.

Now comes one tricky part. You could either use the kill script command to the rancor. I have heard it leaves the body to lie there, although I cannot confirm this because I don't remember if I have actually used it myself. This might produce the effect you want, however, the manner the rancor dies in uncertain, and might not be suitable for the dying under a door situation.

Or you could change the rancor to behavior_state "cinematic" and then play a suitable "being crushed under a door" animation (if there is such) when the door is closed. However, the door wouldn't be closed all the way to the end, but just enough to make it look like as if the rancor was crushed under it, yet not pushing the poor beast inside the floor. However, although this would leave the rancor lying comatose on the floor, it wouldn't be dead, and might react, if the player goes to mess with it. This drawback might, however, be sorted out with some script command.

Well, that would obviously require some intermediate/advanced scripting. If you are familiar with scripting, give it a shot. If you are not, or are not too keen on my view, then you must just think of another way.
 RenikDelan
03-23-2004, 4:42 PM
Well where he's doing SP, I'm doing MP.
I suppose in that situation, I'd be just plain SOL right? :confused:
 lassev
03-23-2004, 8:06 PM
Scripting is supported in JA MP. Basically I cannot think right away any reason why this method couldn't work also in MP. However, I have never scripted anything for MP, so I cannot confirm it either. Give it a try, if you are willing to spend the time to learn the methods.
 shukrallah
03-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Now comes one tricky part. You could either use the kill script command to the rancor. I have heard it leaves the body to lie there, although I cannot confirm this because I don't remember if I have actually used it myself.

Yeah, it stays there.... thats what they used to get dead bodies here and there in JA and JK2.
Page: 1 of 1