Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KotOR and KotOR2 Savegame Editor (KSE) - Current Version: 3.3.3

Page: 12 of 25
 Jennaida
04-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Does it mean anything when a KSE modified game seems to be saving several extra files, and not loading until they're deleted?
 RevanA4
04-13-2005, 12:00 AM
eerrrrr I haven't noticed that and I use it alot so it probably doesn't mean any thing
 tk102
04-13-2005, 1:16 AM
Originally posted by Jennaida
Does it mean anything when a KSE modified game seems to be saving several extra files, and not loading until they're deleted?

Can you be more specific?
 PisOgPapir
04-13-2005, 2:36 AM
KSE can't see more than 99 save games. that sucks -_-
 T7nowhere
04-13-2005, 3:14 AM
Originally posted by PisOgPapir
KSE can't see more than 99 save games. that sucks -_-

Are you sure you have the latest version. I have 137 saves and it shows them all.
 tk102
04-13-2005, 3:39 AM
KSE doesn't have any limits on the number of savegames.
 apocolipse
04-13-2005, 7:09 AM
Are you sure you have the latest version. I have 137 saves and it shows them all

OMG how can you have so many saves

the most ive had is about 23.

well done tk, being able to see icons gives the kse a nice touch

dont know how the hell you manage to keep making all these updates though
:eek:
 PisOgPapir
04-13-2005, 8:06 AM
thats weird...
 Jennaida
04-13-2005, 7:23 PM
Okay. One of my 'normal' savegames frombefore has the following files:
[list=1]
GLOBALVARS.RES
PARTYTABLE.RES
SAVEGAME.sav
savenfo.res
screen <image>
[/list=1]

The one edited with KSE now has the following files:
[list=1]
globalvars.res (same as above)
partytable.res (same as above)
SAVE_DATA.sig
SAVE_HEADERVAR.sig
SAVE_INFO.sig
SAVE_PARTY.sig
SAVE_VARS.sig
savegame.sav (same as above)
savenfo.res (same as above)
screen <image> (same as above)
Screen.sig
[/list=1]

Unless the .sig files are deleted from the savegame, it will stop midway through load. If they're deleted, it'll load just fine, if they're not, it dies.
 RevanA4
04-13-2005, 7:26 PM
Okay. One of my 'normal' savegames frombefore has the following files:
[list=1]
GLOBALVARS.RES
PARTYTABLE.RES
SAVEGAME.sav
savenfo.res
screen <image>
[/list=1]

The one edited with KSE now has the following files:
[list=1]
globalvars.res (same as above)
partytable.res (same as above)
SAVE_DATA.sig
SAVE_HEADERVAR.sig
SAVE_INFO.sig
SAVE_PARTY.sig
SAVE_VARS.sig
savegame.sav (same as above)
savenfo.res (same as above)
screen <image> (same as above)
Screen.sig
[/list=1]

Unless the .sig files are deleted from the savegame, it will stop midway through load. If they're deleted, it'll load just fine, if they're not, it dies.

Um I've edited many a game with KSE and haven't encountered the problem you have
 tk102
04-13-2005, 8:17 PM
The .sig files are generated for Xbox users, but as jedigoku says, they are ignored by the PC version. See if there is a different pattern of behavior not associated with the .sig files: Maybe your game crashes once and then works the next time. ?
 RevanA4
04-13-2005, 8:22 PM
you might have a curupeted install also that might becausing the crash unless you are useing a emulator so if you can't fix it your best bet is to uninstall and reinstall the program
 Jennaida
04-13-2005, 8:46 PM
Well, all I know is that when I delete the .sig files, it works. You think KSE might be corrupted?

tk102:

I have tried loading them, multiple times. And they freeze at the same spot, every time. Until I delete the .sig files.
 RevanA4
04-13-2005, 9:10 PM
it aint KSE cuz the files you are talking about aren't even used by the pc meaning they are ignored or put a different way the game doesn't know that they are there
 Jennaida
04-13-2005, 9:43 PM
They ONLY show up after using KSE, jedigoku. Not from regular saves, or from anything else.

And deleting them is the only way I've found that fixes the problem. And they are only put there by KSE. This has not happened before 3.3.1, either.

If it's not KSE, tell me... why does it ONLY happen after I mod a save/quicksave with KSE, and try loading it? Or is it simply because I'm doing it with the game running, so I can reload the quicksave when I'm done editing?

And it only seems to happen after I've opened it and re-saved it with KSE multiple times, as well. Situationally, I often add something in KSE at various points...

That's led me to wonder how much a savegame is changed, everytime KSE saves an alteration.
 RevanA4
04-13-2005, 10:01 PM
for the record quick saves aren't the same as normal saves hense the name quick try it on a normal save and that should fix your problem and I've said it before I use it often and don't have a problem try downloading it again cuz your download might have got currupted and see if that works cuz out of 23 saved games I've had no problems or your installation might be messed up orther wise without being there i can't diagnose the problem any better

I'm a programmer and if TK says KSE isn't the problem I tend to believe him
 Jennaida
04-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by jedigoku
I'm a programmer and if TK says KSE isn't the problem I tend to believe him

Ah yes. And I'm just an ignorant end-user. *shrug* I'll re-download it. The only mods I'm running now that I haven't before are the whereamI armband and handmaiden for female PC. Otherwise, it's all the same ones.
 RevanA4
04-13-2005, 11:09 PM
if that doens't work try reinstalling the game
 tk102
04-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Or is it simply because I'm doing it with the game running, so I can reload the quicksave when I'm done editing?

This is very likely the cause. I recommend completely exiting the game before attempting to edit a save, and conversely, exiting KSE before loading the game.
 RevanA4
04-14-2005, 12:36 AM
note never edit game files while the game is running it tends to screw everything up
 Jennaida
04-14-2005, 4:34 AM
I've been editing it while game was running for several versions of KSE, just that this was the first version to do what this is doing :) I'll just keep deleting the .sig files :)
 XTra KrazzY
04-15-2005, 5:44 AM
i edit my save during game and it didn't happen to me even once :S
is it the patch or something?(if it's out)
 tk102
04-16-2005, 4:48 PM
v3.3.2 released
- Fixed a very long standing bug that prevented some Global Numerics from displaying

- Made Quests node start in collapsed position

- .sig file creation is now dependent on the pre-existence of a .sig file in the savegame folder (for Jennaida)

(I believe the problem you are having Jennaida is associated with Quicksaves only...)
 Jennaida
04-16-2005, 5:04 PM
I'll keep testing it. Thanks for the fix on the .sig files :)
 tk102
04-16-2005, 5:37 PM
Oops, my .sig fix didn't take so I just reuploaded KSE v3.3.2 with the fix. Sorry about that.
 Jennaida
04-16-2005, 5:50 PM

Hmm... I hate to be annoying, but...

For 3.3.3 (when you have enough changes to do a 3.3.3), could you start the game nodes in collapsed position as well, so we can expand the one we want to be working on? Some of us have a lot of savegames under both, and it's a lot of scrolling to find one or the other :)

:angel:

If not, it's cool. Just suggesting :)
 General Kenobi
04-16-2005, 6:27 PM
Thanks for the update.

:rolleyes: I guess its "possible" to get through a game without using KSE but then again who'd want to?..lol It might be a save game editor but it lends itself to modding very well for certain things wouldn't be without it and won't be without this one. :)

Keep up the good work man we appreciate it :)
 ChAiNz.2da
04-16-2005, 6:32 PM
Originally posted by Darth Melignous
It might be a save game editor but it lends itself to modding very well for certain things wouldn't be without it and won't be without this one. :)
Agreed 200% :D

For the USM in particular, If I had to type in 100+ cheat codes to get the sabers in-game (testing, screenies, etc.) I'd still be typing those things in :eek:

especially now with the 'invisible' console :rolleyes:

KSE has saved my modding arse many a time :D
 General Kenobi
04-16-2005, 6:39 PM
@ChAiNz EXACTLY :D

Beats the He## out of typing giveitem bla bla bla over and over. Besides how else could I give myself 300 GilliaBOOMS to obliderate EVERYONE at the Sith Academy ;)
 RevanA4
04-18-2005, 12:28 AM
um i was wondering how hard it would be to make a seperat inventory list for items specifally designed for the module you are in
 XTra KrazzY
04-18-2005, 6:00 AM
hi again...
i remember mentioning here a new idea(party members adding/removing, page 14)...
tk did you reject my idea? if so then just say so....

now i'm gonna check the new 3.3.2
 RevanA4
04-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by XTra KrazzY
hi again...
i remember mentioning here a new idea(party members adding/removing, page 14)...
tk did you reject my idea? if so then just say so....

now i'm gonna check the new 3.3.2

he added it
 XTra KrazzY
04-18-2005, 1:03 PM
Originally posted by XTra KrazzY
Yes... adding feats, force powers, and skill points for a level up, there surely is someway to do it as you can "save" your skill points in the game for the next level up, I'm sure it can be done on feats and f. powers....

anyways....
:fett: I KNEW KSE 3.3.1 WOULD ROCK!!! :fett:

another idea though(might be my last):
add another party canging ability(this time when you click the "party" button i want you to make us edit the party members)
for instance(1):
I have Hanharr in my party, and I want Mira instead, or I have Remote in my party, and I want Kreia instead, we'll be able to change that...
another instance(2):
Mandalore is "locked" in the party and I can't put him with me... i want to make locked party members unlocked and vice versa....
Another instance(3):
I only have Atton in the party, since i'm still in Telos, and I want HK-47/Visas in it already, just because I'm a cheater :P
I want to be able to do that too...

You can use your current party changing widget for that... but make another checkbox for each party member with "locked"... and then that party member will be disabled, and when Hanharr is checked Mira should be disabled, unless you uncheck Hanharr.... If I remember well there are states when your whole party is locked... checkbox for that too....

Hope you do something about it.... it seems to be the last missing piece for your perfect editor... :D (that and the powers/feats/skill points adding)

You mean this?
EDIT: sorry i should've written NPC adding/removing... lol can't find the right title for this addition without confusing some people... any suggestions? ;)
 tk102
04-18-2005, 3:15 PM
I may expand on the controls availalble in the Current Party node so that you can make an NPC selectable or unselectable.

As for adding/removing NPCs... I'm considering it. It might be neat to make KSE able to custom recruit any NPC, but I'd probably be stepping off the deep end when it came to providing support for people that are now having problems with their savegame.

(Points at the "No Safety Net" disclaimer in the kse-readme.txt :))

@Jedigoku: I'd rather not bog down KSE anymore than necessary with module-specific .uti inventory. KSE would have to browse through each .rim file to find all .uti and keep them separated by module. The best work-around is to extract whatever .uti you want using KotOR Tool and place it in the override. The KSE will recognize it and it will show up in red in the master inventory list. (When you're done with KSE, you should probably remove the .uti from your override too.)
 Jennaida
04-18-2005, 4:14 PM
This is related to my last suggestion, but it occurs to me... is it possible KSE can organize savegames by character name?

This on top of the other suggestion would make it far easier to find a particular save. I'm not quite in the worst situation yet, but there are people with over 100 savegames for either 1 or 2... :)

Or is that justa me getting into excessive laziness? :)
 RevanA4
04-18-2005, 4:29 PM
I don't know how perl work but he should be able to do that cuz when parsing info you can chose to organize it in many different ways
 tk102
04-18-2005, 4:35 PM
@Jennaida: Would putting the Player Name and the Game Title Name in the Game # node help?

@Jedigoku: It's not a matter of Perl, it's a matter of user interface. I've been trying to keep KSE with a single treeview on the left and the controls on the right. I could probably figure something out I guess.

I'm just going to take a break from KSE for awhile and play TSL for my first time though. So enjoy the features as they are for a little while. :)
 RevanA4
04-18-2005, 4:37 PM
@TK102 It's about time dude <force persuade> you will in joy it</force persuade>

<darkside points gained>
 Suraknar
04-18-2005, 6:55 PM
This is related to my last suggestion, but it occurs to me... is it possible KSE can organize savegames by character name?

This on top of the other suggestion would make it far easier to find a particular save. I'm not quite in the worst situation yet, but there are people with over 100 savegames for either 1 or 2... :)

Or is that justa me getting into excessive laziness? :)

How about by Save Name instead?

That could be good too, and easy to find if one devises their own savegame system.
 General Kenobi
04-18-2005, 7:19 PM
@TK

"I'm just going to take a break from KSE for awhile and play TSL for my first time though. So enjoy the features as they are for a little while. :) "

Mamma says if it ain't broke don't fix it. ;) After the wonderful job you've done on KSE TK you deserve a good month off playing TSL at your leisure :D Without you and Fred we'd be up that creek without the paddle when it comes to modding.:amidala:
 Jennaida
04-18-2005, 8:13 PM
Basically what I was saying is have every different char name as a 'node', and having every save with that particular char as subnodes. If I know I was running through as Aiso, then I could just click open the Aiso saves, and check there. Or whatever other char. :)
 RevanA4
04-18-2005, 8:18 PM
Basically what I was saying is have every different char name as a 'node', and having every save with that particular char as subnodes. If I know I was running through as Aiso, then I could just click open the Aiso saves, and check there. Or whatever other char. :)

that there is a problem cuz parsing doesn't work that way very well
 XTra KrazzY
04-19-2005, 5:13 AM
Originally posted by tk102
@Jennaida: Would putting the Player Name and the Game Title Name in the Game # node help?

YES!!! sure it will! it is so needed around here that i was wondering why you didn't do that in the first place...(char name AND save name plz) but really.... take a look at the end of my message and avoid these jobs for now....

I'm just going to take a break from KSE for awhile and play TSL for my first time though. So enjoy the features as they are for a little while. :)
for the FIRST TIME? omg dude start playing! delay npc adding/removing/locking/unlocking and title names.... start playing it for 2-3 times...(third is for disciple or mods... both is fine ;))
oh and there ae other games if you get bored.... after seeing so much KOTOR KODE i would rather another game (no offence, i love kotor, but i'm not sure about tk... it's like a programmer who made a game tries to have fun of it...)
 MysticalONE
04-24-2005, 9:03 PM
Hi I would say this tool is great but I havent been able to use it for what it has been made for.

I have Kotor2 unpatched. ( Which I think may be the problem.)
I edit my saved game, on datooine, I'm editing my attributes and have set them to 50, the max. I try loading the saved game and it stops loading around 1/4th the way. I can't seem to figure out the problem. Loads fine without editing the save.

Any help appreciated.
 Emperor Devon
04-25-2005, 2:09 AM
I'm just going to take a break from KSE for awhile and play TSL for my first time though.

Good! :D Don't come back untill you've beaten the game.

MysticalONE, I have several ideas.

(1. It's just one of the many bugs in TSL. The patch fixes many (but not all) of them.

(2. Try using cheats rather than KSE.

(3. Which version of KSE do you have?
 RevanA4
04-25-2005, 2:14 AM
Originally posted by MysticalONE
Hi I would say this tool is great but I havent been able to use it for what it has been made for.

I have Kotor2 unpatched. ( Which I think may be the problem.)
I edit my saved game, on datooine, I'm editing my attributes and have set them to 50, the max. I try loading the saved game and it stops loading around 1/4th the way. I can't seem to figure out the problem. Loads fine without editing the save.

Any help appreciated.

I've used it with both patched and unpatched versions and had no porblem
 MysticalONE
04-25-2005, 6:34 AM
latest version 3.3.2
 General Kenobi
04-25-2005, 3:12 PM
If your game crashes when your changing using KSE it's most likely just that KSE. I've found that if you "add" certain feats/powers/ or especially "force forms/saber forms" before they are opted to be earned or "kreia trains you" in one, sometimes it will crash the game out like that. Sometimes it won't until you try to get one and I guess when it sees you have it bam crashing.

Hope that helps a bit :D
 tk102
04-25-2005, 4:11 PM
Originally posted by MysticalONE
I edit my saved game, on datooine, I'm editing my attributes and have set them to 50, the max.

Does it crash when you perform any type of edit? Or does the problem only occur if you max our your attributes? Try editing some other things (credits, skill ranks, inventory...) and see if your game continues to crash.

Is this a Quicksave that you're editing? If so, try saving to a real save slot to see if the crash behavior persists.
 MysticalONE
04-25-2005, 5:18 PM
It seems like any type of edit. Editing my saves, not autosaves. KSE says its successful when writing to savegame.sav
Page: 12 of 25