Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Weapons Mods?

Page: 1 of 1
 Dralm
01-15-2004, 8:18 PM
Well aside from the fact of this being my first post. Hiya all......*cough*... Anyways i was just wondering if it is possible to add weapons or change them, and if so has anyone done it or tried to?
 Lil' Jawa
01-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :)
To answer your questions..items are somewhat editable through hex editing and perhaps even nwn toolset(anyone tried?) but there is no real easy way to do it yet, but with some persistance and determination yes. I know i'm not of much help saying this but since I haven't tried it, no can help. Maybe someone else can answer your question better. Good luck though!
 vustare
01-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Dralm,
When you ask about "changing" weapons, are you referring to their models? Unfortunately, I don't know anything about that, but I do know you can mess around with their base stats by extracting and decompiling the "baseitems.2da". I cranked up the ranged weapons damage to be more in line with the d20 stats, although that has had the adverse effect, obviously, of unbalancing the game slightly, but it is still kinda neat to see blasters doing more damage than their original settings.
Don't know if that'll help, but good luck.
Vic
 Dralm
01-16-2004, 1:12 AM
I was actually refering the graphics, i was already quite sure stats could be changed. I meant has anyone figured out if graphics could be added or changed. Like make a new lightsaber with a wider beam. Like lightsabers custom looking that suit there owner. Its kinda sad that they all look alike....oh and yes i know color can be changed to colors not already ingame.
 TMPhoenix
01-16-2004, 4:48 PM
The best way I've found sofar to edit items is using the gffeditor (there's one available from the Bioware NWN site I believe).

Then at least you can edit it in a semi-readable way. And you should use the 2DA decompiler to decompile all those 2DA, so you can figure out what all those numbers mean in the item. This way you can pretty much add or remove any itemproperty in game or change the look of an item.
Afterwards save your item in the override directory, and you'll be able to use the cheats to get them ingame. BTW, I think items that are already ingame don't change after you edit them, so if I have a blaster and add a property to it, it won't show up. You have to get a new instance of the item (either by finding a new one or cheating one into the game;i.e. "giveitem my_blaster01").

Hope this helps... :D

- TMPhoenix
 Fred Tetra
01-17-2004, 5:33 AM
I've been developing on a tool for working with files in the BIFs.

Right now, you can:
*extract an entire BIF or individual files
*view/edit/save non-compiled scripts (nss)
*open, view, edit and save 2DA v2.b (2D Array) files

All from a windows application.

2DA file support allows you to either load a file on disk that you previously extracted or get it direct-from-BIF, edit it in a grid-based GUI, then write it out to your override folder.

I've been able to leave the tool up between Kotor launches, so I can make a few changes, run Kotor, see the effect, quit... lather, rinse, repeat...

I plan to add support for the other file formats as I figure them out; some are pretty scary :)

Once I find a spot to host my app, I'll put it up.
 Supreme-Lord
01-17-2004, 1:10 PM
I cant wait it :)

Hope u finish it soon.
 CraZy_B
01-17-2004, 2:46 PM
Would you mind adding a compiler part too. HazrdX's compiler can compile nss to ncs w/o NWN installed.
 Fred Tetra
01-17-2004, 10:30 PM
I was thinking of incorporating a script compiler, but I wanted to gauge what folks thought would be most valuable to them first...
Page: 1 of 1