Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Mod Utility: the savegame editor

Page: 1 of 2
 The Devanstator
12-26-2003, 10:14 PM
---------
Edit tk102: If you are looking at this thread, you may want to look here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123671) instead.
---------

Hey, everyone. I recently finished programming a modding
application that automatically alters your save files. It's quite
versatile and can change any feats, force powers, skills,
attributes, experience or credits.
Also, there are some feats that you can't get in-game but that
they used for NPCs.
It's nothing really fancy, but I made it from scratch. You can check
it out at http://www.kmu.web1000.com) .

Just make sure you read the readme.
 eidospsogos
12-26-2003, 10:32 PM
My friend you are a GOD!!!! i haven't tried it out yet, but my thanks, and everyone else's is already given you for even attempting this!! No more hex-editing!!!! woohoo!!!
 eidospsogos
12-26-2003, 10:39 PM
would there be anything for you to gain in knowing the way to hex-edit your savegame files? because if this would help you in figuring out how things are stored at all then here is a link going over some pretty basic stuff. this may be of no help at all, but i thought it couldn't hurt.

http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=3379&topic=11597572)
 The Devanstator
12-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Yes, I was just taking a look at that, thanks.
There's some interesting stuff there; I'll keep it in mind when
I'm writing the full (non-beta) version.
 Prime
12-27-2003, 3:35 AM
Can't wait to try this out in a few days!
 Den Baster
12-27-2003, 4:44 AM
The Devanstator Good job. Maybe you will create util fro erxtract *.rim files. This is very necessary for modding.
 idontlikegeorge
12-27-2003, 6:00 PM
Does anyone have problems accessing the site? The Flash "movie" won't load... I have Flash Player 5 and a cable modem connection... am I just unlucky enough to try and access the site when it doesn't want to use bandwidth? :o

Would you happen to have a non-flash site to go to, please?
 eidospsogos
12-27-2003, 6:17 PM
i don't have any trouble with it myself. not really a flash movie, as much as maybe a flash interface.
 The Devanstator
12-27-2003, 6:49 PM
I made the site using flash 6, that's why.
Just a minute, I'll add some more html pretty quick here. Or you could get the latest flash player.
 The Devanstator
12-27-2003, 7:13 PM
There, it's not a whole html site, but you can still download the application if you don't have and can't get flash player 6.
 eidospsogos
12-27-2003, 7:58 PM
hey, devan.....having a little trouble with ingame feat recognition. i'm in the ebon hawk as stated in the readme. the program recognizes the feat i say i have. i swap out the one's i don't want with one's that i do want. but when i load the game nothing has changed at all feat wise. when i re-load your program it tells mke i have the feats just as i modified them with the program last, but the game will not show them. just thought i'd let you know. i should probably email this though.
 The Devanstator
12-27-2003, 11:22 PM
Eidospsogos, I think I may see your problem here. I replied to your email about it. Hope it works now, but if not then you can write me back. I'm sure it's a problem in the save directories...
Anyways, let me know how it works out.
 krauterian
12-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Please post the possible fix here, Dev. I'm having the same problem as eidos
 eidospsogos
12-27-2003, 11:39 PM
well the possible fix mentioned, is not possible in my case. it was merely suggested that i had put the kmu exe file into one savegame folder and was loading a game from a different folder. but that's not possible because i have only one savegame.
 Urazhil
12-28-2003, 2:26 AM
I'm getting redirected from http://www.kmu.web1000.com) to
http://www.web1000.com) everytime I try to access the site!

Does anyone know why? :confused:

Or must I realy sign up to access the Page? :barf:
 eidospsogos
12-28-2003, 2:30 AM
i could not tell you as i have no idea why that would happen. i have never had that happen to me. i would not think you should have to sign up for anything, but i do not know.
 Urazhil
12-28-2003, 2:47 AM
Anything about that im not from the US or something?

Could somebody mail me the file to webmaster@veirus.de plz ? :)
 eidospsogos
12-28-2003, 2:57 AM
sure, i'll mail it to you. let me know if you get the feat thing working. because i can't.
 Phцnix
12-28-2003, 8:39 AM
Hi,

I'd also be very interested in trying your editor out (after playing the game through twice, I think some experimentation is in order ;) ), but regrettably, I have got the same problem accessing the website, as Urazhil has.
I've tried accessing it roughly twenty times and only once was not relayed, but even then the page would not load.

It could indeed have something to do with nationality, but I do not know.

I would really appreaciate it, if somebody could mail me the programm, as well (pretty frustrating to know the programm has to be there, but being unable to access the website).

My mail adress is: e-mail removed

Thanks in advance!

With best regards,

Lars Wolfrum
 IG-64
12-28-2003, 9:09 AM
welcome to the forums, Phцnix :thumbsup:
 The Devanstator
12-28-2003, 9:11 AM
The zip file is in your inbox now phoenix. I'm not sure why some people can't access the site, but I know that web1000 have their pages rigged so that you are jumped to their homepage if your browser can't find index.html and it seems to jump the gun sometimes. What can I expect for free web hosting? I'm not sure why location would affect it, I'm from Canada and it seems to work for most people. About the feats problem, I'm working all night on that now. I'm getting lots of great feedback, which is what I need to figure this out. Obviously, the game is capable of creating more diversities than I thought as it works for some people, but not for others. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.
 Phцnix
12-28-2003, 9:14 AM
Hi IG-64!

Thanks for the welcome!
I've observed the forum for a while, but have followed my usual behavior of lurking, until this tool came along and it proved impossible to download :confused:.

With best regards,

Lars Wolfrum
 Phцnix
12-28-2003, 9:17 AM
Hi Devanstator!

Thank you for the file-per-mail!

I'll let you know, if I come across any strange effects.

With best regards,

Lars Wolfrum
 IG-64
12-28-2003, 9:47 AM
I was only briefly a lurker, I just couldn't help but reply to some of the threads, and it turnes out I really liked it and am almost to 1000 posts
 The Devanstator
12-28-2003, 9:54 AM
Ok, I think I see what's going on for some of you. When I wrote the program I did it solely from my own findings from messing around with the save files. I know that there are several reoccurrences of the same data in the file, almost like it repeats. For instance, the thread at http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genm...&topic=11597572) that was mentioned earlier. I read it, but I don't think it would work all the time because there are quite a few places in the save file where your experience value is kept. However, only one of them will actually change your experience, and all the other ones don't really do anything. It is the same with the feats. Also there are certain constants that are in the files to indicate certain values. For instance, a feat is always preceeded by an 8B or 8F depending on whether you have been to dantooine or not. This is the reason for the question about jedi training. For no apparent reason, the file format just switches up after Taris. I have 4 or 5 different saved games on which I tested the program, all in different stages of the game even to the star forge and all of them worked. I thought I had made algorihms that would work for Every saved game, but I guess not. It would help greatly if I could see your save files. If a few people like Eidospsogos who are having that problem with feats could compress thier SAVEGAME.sav (unmodified) into a zip or rar file and send it as an attachment to removed! (which should allow the large file size) I would be most grateful. I see now that I'm going to have to write a few more robust algorithms and I'd need those files. Yes, we shall get to the bottom of this!
 The Devanstator
12-28-2003, 8:57 PM
Beautiful, I think I've got it. After sorting through some save files sent to me from Eidos, I was able to make the right fixes.

Kotor Mod Utility v1.1 is now available from http://www.kmu.web1000.com)

Here was the problem in a nutshell: At first, through trial and error, I had figured that the Exp value was always preceeded by a "00040000006E000000" (in hex) and that this would only appear once in a file. Also, in all my saves, this was always very close to the end of the file (about 95% through it). Since I didn't like the delay at program execution when it asks about dantooine, I wrote it to start searching 80% through and go to the end. Well, it turns out that this isn't always the case and sometimes the above string shows up more than once and near the beginning. Because I need the correct location of the Exp value to determine everything else, the feats didn't work either. Well I'm glad that's cleared up, but you can expect a bit more delay while KMU loads :rolleyes: .
Anyways, let me know if there's more that needs changing and have fun all you modders who were having problems. Your patience and feedback has paid off.
 eidospsogos
12-28-2003, 10:58 PM
yes!!! thanks very much once again. it now works beautifully.
 the_Stranger
12-29-2003, 12:45 PM
...also got the redirection problem with web1000.com....
Devanstator....could you mail the file to me too... blabla@blabla

btw.... Hi all...first time here ;-)
 Celladur
12-29-2003, 1:42 PM
Devanstator Would you be interested in joining MOTOR(Modders of the old republic).
It's a clan/design group thingy, I'm starting that Focuses on finding ways to Mod/edit the KOTOR game.
I'm doing this because there are plenty of seperate people trying to make mods for this game but there is no co-ordinated effort. If we work together on it then We will figure out how to mod KOTOR much quicker

I'm currently building a site for MOTOR but it should be up with in
a few days
 Eblis As'raen
12-29-2003, 2:44 PM
Hi, Devanstator! (And all of you others, as well!)

I'm afraid I've got the same problem as Urazhil, Phцnix and the_Stranger had: my browser insists upon opening www.web1000.com) instead of your page. (Interestingly enough, I'm from Germany, too. Maybe it *is*a location thing.)

Could you send me a copy of the Kotor Mod Utility, too? (Pretty please with cream and a cherry on top? ;) ) My address would be eblis@arcor.de.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Eblis
 the_Stranger
12-29-2003, 8:12 PM
really seems to be something about the country...i'm also from germany....and btw...i'm getting a new redirection by now...
it's http://www.paysforsurveys.com/) now ...!?!
 INVISIBLE_X
12-29-2003, 8:45 PM
@ The Devanstator
I also got the problem with your page.
Would you please send me your mod to alter my save files?
My address would be INVISIBLE_X@Web.de
Thanks
 The Devanstator
12-29-2003, 11:37 PM
Stranger, Eblis As'raen and INVISIBLE_X, you now have the files by email. Seeing as web1000 has turned out to be a somewhat picky host I have created a secondary website that is based out of Germany. It is Identical to the first one and can be found at http://www.free-webspace.biz/kmu/index.html) . Everyone who has problems connecting to the first site can go here. Sorry for everyone who had to wait.
Also, Celladur, I would be happy to join a modding guild for Kotor. It is a fun and challenging game to mod especially since they don't want us to. Please let me know when your site is up.
 eidospsogos
12-30-2003, 12:06 AM
well, celladur, i can't help with getting into these things, but if you guys figure out how to get into the player textures, let me know as i really want to do some skinning with this game. BADLY!!!!
 the_Stranger
12-30-2003, 6:23 AM
Thanks so much Devanstator....
Didn't try it yet, but i will do in the afternoon..... ;-)))))
btw...german page works very well

wbr
Stranger
 INVISIBLE_X
12-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Also thanks a lot.
I can only repeat the answer of the_Stranger.
I'll try it now!:D
 The Devanstator
01-01-2004, 9:00 PM
Thanks to another bug report, I have made a new fix to the program where you could not use a feat that was obtained by KMU to find the location of feats again. This meant that you generally had to keep one feat unchanged or the utility would no longer work for that saved game. I have made the update version 1.2 which is now available at both http://www.kmu.web1000.com) and http://www.free-webspace.biz/kmu/index.html) .
 Celladur
01-01-2004, 9:09 PM
The site ie mainly ready, the only things I need to do is find a host for it, and finish some images.
 Mr.AbusivePanda
01-03-2004, 1:45 AM
i have a quick question on exchanging the feats. When the feat title appears, i choose either first, second third level, etc feats. then i select a feat from that and another screen comes up titles current feats. Do i chose from these current feats based on the one i want exchanged? also once i choose one, it says:

Query: Which feat would you like to exchange?

do you just press done (zero) or press one of the 2 selections? i'm sorta stuck on this... PLZ help thx!
 The Devanstator
01-03-2004, 3:38 AM
From the main menu you press '1' for feats. You must then choose some feat that you already have so that the program can find the location in your save file to modify. After that you get the list of all your current feats. You should recognise them as the ones you have. From there you can choose any feat that you wish to exchange for another one. Then you pick the feat you want to get. After that it will return to the current feats menu and you can either make more changes or just quit. It's all explained in the readme, but the initial question sometimes throws people off. Hope this helps.
 eidospsogos
01-03-2004, 3:42 AM
here devan. i took the time to make a quick tutorial: :)

1. when you choose feats after the dantooine question, it will ask you to choose a feat you already have. pick the lowest level, possibly earliest, feat you had in the game. once you do this the editor will recognize what feats you have. and we move on to step 2.

2. now the program should be listing every feat you have. it may be a short list depending on how early it is in the game. if it is not a short list, it may say more.... after it's initial list at which point to continue the list you merely hit any key on the keyboard once. but pay close attention to the number beside every feat on the list, and then pick which number corresponds with a feat you would like to trade for another feat. because we are now at step 3.

3. the program will ask you what feat you would like to exchange. if the feat you wanted to exchange was rapid shot and rapid shot was number 5. on your list like so:

4.sniper shot
5.rapid shot

then when the program asks this question, you type 5. now we will move on to step 4, choosing the feat you will be exchanging for rapid shot.

4.when you type 5 it will ask you which feat you would like to replace rapid shot with. you have categories to choose from, and they should be pretty self explanatory. first level feats are first level feats, secone level feats are....well you get the idea. character specific feats are feats only given to certain classes. like sneak attack for the scoundrel can now be given to your scout(if that's what you're using) to replace rapid shot. than there are special feats as well. you simply go into one of these categories and pick a feat you want to swap with rapid shot.

5. once this has been done it will bring up your feat list again. if this is the only feat you wanted to swap hit 0 until the program closes. otherwise start the process over again at step 2.
 vecdran
01-03-2004, 4:20 AM
I am still encountering problems with my editing not showing up when I reload the save game. I have folowed all of your instructions to a T, and they still don't work.

Here is an example

I want to swap Sneak Attack 2 for Sneak attack 10, and use Sneak Attack 3 and 4 for other feats. I choose sneak attack 2, select 10, and then swap 3 and 4 for say, Master Two Weapon and Master Sniper. Keep in mind I am keeping the original 1st level feats, and am only increasing the level.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, it should be working, should it not? (Another note, when I modifify skills and stats, they dont's save either. In KMU, they will be displayed as changed, but ingame they will not.)

Thanks
-vecdran
 The Devanstator
01-03-2004, 6:22 AM
Thanks for posting Vecdran. It appears that your save file is yet another exception. What I mean by that is that I had to assume that every other save file that kotor makes is similar to all the saves that I have. Obviously, the structure of a save file can change significantly from person to person and even though kmu would work on all my save files and many others, there were several exceptions that caused the program to modify the stats in the wrong place. Since the same data is repeated many times in the file, but only one of the places will make any difference, it is tricky to write an algorithm that will always find the right location for everyone. Most of these 'exceptions' have been weeded out by now with help from various bug reports and have been fixed in later versions of kmu. One of the most helpful things is when you can compress an entire save directory into a zip or rar and email it to me at *edit* do not post e-mail addresses, use PM* Vecdran, if you have the latest version of kmu (1.2 right now) and are still having problems, then could you send me the save directory by email? Many problems have been solved that way and I'm quite certain that I'll soon have found all the possible exceptions and fixed them. You're not doing anything wrong, Vecdran, the program is just changing the values in the wrong place. It's a problem easily corrected once I can take a look at the save file. I look forward to doing so.

Also, thanks Eidos; that's a great tutorial.
 override367
01-03-2004, 6:32 AM
Did bioware do that on purpose to prevent editing?

If so I am even more mad at them for dousing our creativity :mad:
 eidospsogos
01-03-2004, 6:44 AM
i think quite possibly yes. it probably was done on purpose.
 The Devanstator
01-03-2004, 7:22 AM
I do not think that there was any attempt to prevent modding from Bioware by making the save files more complex. If they wanted to do that, they would have encripted it or taken some other, more effective preventative measures. They sure did make it complicated though.
What I wouldn't give to see the documentation for these files...
 Mr.AbusivePanda
01-03-2004, 12:48 PM
hey thx a lot, also i was wondering why you would need to ask if we've been to datooine for training because i used some other mod that made you a jedi in the begining (by lil jawa) so i'm not sure what to choose lol
 eidospsogos
01-03-2004, 3:12 PM
the question is merely to allow the program a better idea of where the information MAY be stored. everything, apparently, gest stored quite differently in your savegame after you become a jedi on dantooine. though i think all of this has been included in the readme.
 vecdran
01-03-2004, 6:18 PM
Savegame sent devan.
 The Devanstator
01-03-2004, 6:55 PM
Thanks, Vecdran.

The reason for the Dantooine question is that the save file changes significantly for no apparent reason once you first travel to dantooine. I don't think this is directly related to the jedi training, so If you have jedi abilities while on taris I'd choose no to that question. But if you choose the wrong one, you'll know it because you won't be able to change any feats; it will just say "error finding location of feats".
Page: 1 of 2