Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Map Borrowing or Stealing?

Page: 1 of 1
 Lindsey
12-24-2003, 5:51 PM
I had to ask you mappers out there something, I'm making a Geonosis map, and have placed .map files of Sand Arena 2, Geonosis Hanger Duel, and Geonosis Droid Factory from JK2 in the map I'm making. If I list the original mappers names in the credits of the map, would I be allowed to release the map? Or is there a certain "mapper" code of life to abide by?

Thank you :confused:
 Merovingian
12-24-2003, 6:02 PM
I have a little question how did you manage to aquire the .map files?If the author's of the map don't mind then there is nothing really wrong with it although you really should ask them first.
 WadeV1589
12-24-2003, 6:33 PM
Decompiling via Q3Map2.

You have to email the authors and ask them.
 Lindsey
12-24-2003, 9:54 PM
Kinda hard when none of them have any contact info, I saw someone make a single player mission outta the Hanger duel, and they gave credit on jk2files.com. Guess it was ok
 Thrawn42689
12-24-2003, 11:02 PM
It's not ok unless they give you permission. It should say that in the readme for their levels.
 Shadow_stone00
12-24-2003, 11:09 PM
i agree with thrawn
 gotcha8903
12-25-2003, 12:31 AM
so do i. just wondering, what would you guys do if their map didnt have a readme?
 Jedi Luke
12-25-2003, 1:10 AM
Yeah I agree with Thrawn. It could be a map that you have poured hours and hours of planning, effort, design and scripting. Some wank can come along this map and think, 'Gee I could really do something good with this', and in less than a few hours, creates something that's totally awesome which kicks your original map's butt and they leave you no credit. This can be extremely frustrating to the creater of the map.
 razorace
12-25-2003, 2:01 AM
Personally, I think if you honestly can't find these people after a good effort, you can ethically use their material if you're sure to give approprate credit.
 Lindsey
12-25-2003, 2:16 AM
Which is what I would do. I'm not modifying the levels in any way,
just placing them in my map. I always give credit to people. My Rebel vs. Imperials map had the Duality and Snowspeeder ships in it, and I gave credit to the two makers. I'm not like that ass Belog on pcgamemods that ripped off Onibi's Christmas level.
That was shameful
 WadeV1589
12-25-2003, 7:45 PM
Something to try is Google, many authors can be found using that, they may have posted on a forum somewhere so you'll be able to email them from that. Like he said, a fair honest attempt.
 seks03
12-29-2003, 6:33 AM
just use there map and give them credit, they released them to the public to be used and thats what your doing. i dont care if people use my stuff as long as they give me credit.
 razorace
12-29-2003, 8:44 AM
Uh, you should always ask first. Just because they released it to the public doesn't mean that they want other people to use their material for other mods.
 Kengo
12-29-2003, 5:25 PM
Yeh, its a tough question. You're obviously not from the "swipe first, ask questions later" school, so thats good. Hmmm, if you can't get hold of them to ask their permission, I'd honestly say don't use the maps. That may seem rather prohibative, but it gives you the credibility of saying that those you did use, you had full permission to do so.
 Steinin
12-29-2003, 11:07 PM
I agree. You should always ask the original author.

Look up these topics too:

Decompiling = Stealing? (http://cariad.co.za/twhl/forums.php?action=viewthread&str=steal&type=1&pg=1&id=803)

map copyright (http://cariad.co.za/twhl/forums.php?action=viewthread&str=steal&type=1&pg=1&id=994)
 lauser
12-31-2003, 8:08 AM
There are many mappers who have used ORIGINAL default material from JK2 or even JA and have NEVER asked Activision or RAVEN or ID to use any of those files. Not only have they used the material but they have ALTERED it slightly which is a MAJOR NO NO!! Give the credit and thats good enough. Don't make me give examples of pure unadulterated plagerism. Just provide the CREDIT notes and it's all cool.
 idontlikegeorge
12-31-2003, 9:12 AM
Originally posted by lauser
There are many mappers who have used ORIGINAL default material from JK2 or even JA and have NEVER asked Activision or RAVEN or ID to use any of those files. Not only have they used the material but they have ALTERED it slightly which is a MAJOR NO NO!! Give the credit and thats good enough. Don't make me give examples of pure unadulterated plagerism. Just provide the CREDIT notes and it's all cool.

Ok. The game assests of Jedi Academy: the sounds, models, skins, textures, sprites, effects, etc. are Raven's work. I dunno where you think Activision has a say.

And I believe Raven allows their assests from any Raven game to be used in any other Raven game. And considering many Raven people post on forums - even these forums, and tell us how to do this and that, I'm pretty sure they would give us permission if we take up their time to ask. :rolleyes:

Id. The software that belongs to Id is the base engine and base code - which you can't just modify and release anyway! What is released that can be modified - the MP SDK - is likely mostly Raven's code, or in any case, would be something Raven would be allowed to release of Id's work, and between Id and Raven.

Oh, and please do post examples of "pure unadulterated plagerism." It would be good to know for this thread, I would think.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything if I didn't have the author's permission, just out of respect for them and their work. Don't assume it's "all cool" to just have a few credit notes, when it may in fact not be.

Of course, most author's are reasonable, and wouldn't mind you using their work as long as they do get credit - but still, you shouldn't automatically assume so. Get the permission, and if the author has in fact dropped off the face of the Earth, then just the credit would be alright.

But using a piece of someone's map, I dunno... I mean, if they wanted their map (or parts of it) used by others, maybe they would have released the .map file, maybe?

I see it as taking the easy road... paste together other people's maps into one and say "I r uber-leet mappr!!!!!!111" - make your own versions of all the areas and the map yourself, and you'll really have something to be proud of. :)
 WadeV1589
12-31-2003, 5:19 PM
I can tell you now if someone decompiled my map and used parts of it without asking me, I'd be angry. I don't mind people asking if they can use some of my textures/models/sounds because I usually say yes but my maps are my own and I like it to stay that way. It is only in rare instances that I will say "sure you can use that part of my map" and then I'll release the .map file.
 shukrallah
01-01-2004, 6:48 PM
yeah, if you cant get permission dont use it. Its as simple as that.
Page: 1 of 1