Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Enhanced Ideas: "Z-Targeting"

Page: 1 of 1
 Teancum
12-10-2003, 2:23 AM
For those of you who played either Zelda on N64, you know what I'm talking about. Basically a little aiming recitle (or however you spell that) comes up and you push button. Now until you press that button again, you're always facing them. This would be great for more 'movie eqsue' duels, as well as allowing for a Masters of Teras Kasi style of gameplay (with some additional coding). Anyways, just a thought. It's a cool idea, but the 'balance' thing comes into play. Maybe assign it as a new force power?
 razorace
12-10-2003, 5:42 AM
I'm already planning on doing this. I'm not sure how this could be abused as long as there is manual blocking and visual checks.
 Chairwalker
12-10-2003, 12:51 PM
What about guns ? wouldnt that give people perfect aim ?

Its sounds neat, but in a saber fight i always try to get to the other guy's blind side.
And with this system that would be pretty much impossible.
Cant we just move around manually like we're doing now ?
 razorace
12-10-2003, 6:23 PM
It would only work for sabers and maybe melee mode.

While running up onto someone's blind side is a valid tactic in JKA, it's not particular realistic and won't really be nessecary when manual blocking is implimented.
 da_chimp
12-29-2003, 9:27 AM
I think a z-targeting button would be cool and you could still get people in the back if they didnt have you locked on.

perfect aim if there standing still and delayed if they are moving so as they still have a chance

and give it a limit on how far you can have a lock on and make it so that there is something that tells you who you are locked on thank you for you time
 razorace
12-29-2003, 6:33 PM
You already see who a person is when you look at them, so ztargeting wouldn't need that.

I also don't see a point in having a time limit or "lag" on ztargeting.
 Wudan
12-29-2003, 8:09 PM
Give it a distance limit, I'd say - if you're not close enough to a person or can't actually see them, cut the targetting system out.

Heck if we're going to do that, why not make a cool isometric view of the player, too?
 razorace
12-29-2003, 9:54 PM
That was what I was planning for ztargeting. :)

About an isometric view, I'm not sure that things would be controllable from such an angle.
 da_chimp
12-30-2003, 1:35 AM
no i meant that if you z target with guns it sort of follows only slower than a player can run except it is also influenced by the crossahair ie enemy runs to right screen slowly follows but if you also turn your crosshair to th right ti speeds up sorry for any confuseion
 razorace
12-30-2003, 3:54 AM
Originally posted by da_chimp
no i meant that if you z target with guns it sort of follows only slower than a player can run except it is also influenced by the crossahair ie enemy runs to right screen slowly follows but if you also turn your crosshair to th right ti speeds up sorry for any confuseion

Please note that I deleted the double post of this. :)

Anyway, to reply, I was planning on adding some "slop" to the ztargeting just like you suggested. :)

I primarily had it in mind so that people will be able to use Mouse Sabering (planned feature for the future) but it works for this too. :)
Page: 1 of 1