Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

DF fan soundtrack 2nd version

Page: 1 of 2
 Lundquist
11-14-2003, 3:03 PM
Okay, so I'm finally working on a second version of my fan soundtrack, I've managed to get a sound I think is pretty good, though I also thought that about the 1st version when I made it, so I'll probably make a 3rd version some time in the future.
Anyway, all the instruments are new (except the horns and percussion not including timpani). there isn't as much reverb either, so... well, you can listen to a sample here:
http://www.angelfire.com/music4/gffrpg/01_-_Dark_Forces_Opening_titles.mp3)

Obviously the beginnig isn't midi...
 Ackehallgren
11-15-2003, 10:58 AM
The classic Star Wars theme sounds great, but I actually liked the little part between the SW and DF team last time... And, well... I don't know... I think last time it sounded more powerful... Might be me though :)
 Lundquist
11-15-2003, 3:39 PM
really? do you mean the Dark Forces theme or the main SW theme? I tried to make the DF theme more powerful this time - though I can understand it if you mean the SW theme, since the last time I used a recording of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and this this time I used the Utah Symphony - RSNO is a little bigger. I just didn't think that the RSNO recording would blend very well with the reverb I used this time around - but maybe I should try using that too and see what sounds best?
 Ackehallgren
11-15-2003, 4:10 PM
well, I thinked the DF team sounded more powerful last time, but that might be because you added your own little part beetween the SW and DF theme that i loved! it was awesome....

we discussed sometime ago and i asked if i could use your df theme, and you said yes, and here s how it turned out: www.kylekatarn.com)

The SW team sounds like a real orchestra though... its amazing
 Master Toddy
11-16-2003, 2:59 AM
What?! You mean to tell me that that is not a real orchestra? For a moment there you had me fooled and I thought you took the main theme and just sped it up a bit. Excellent job.
 Fracman
11-16-2003, 6:52 AM
There is a real orchestra, namely the part playing the Star Wars tunes, in the Final & End Credits music. You'll certainly notice the difference :p
 Lundquist
11-16-2003, 8:46 AM
wait wait wait! the star wars theme in the beginning IS a real orchestra - it's a recording of the Utah Symphony. I haven't sped it up though...

Naturally you can hear the difference - there is only so much you can do with those old midi - it would sound a lot better if I remade them from scratch, but I'm not going to put THAT much work into it. Also these midis only have 16 instrumenttracks, I usually get well over 50 when I make midis...
 Ackehallgren
11-16-2003, 9:59 AM
will you add he beautiful "Aahh"'s between SW and the DF team again? I loved them!
 Fracman
11-16-2003, 2:16 PM
Aaaah... ihhhh... please remove your 2x and 3x posts!!!! :o
And not "team"... it should mean "theme", right?
 DarkDefeater
11-16-2003, 4:30 PM
Yep, those "aahh's" really make the transition between the sw theme and the df theme sound powerful and spooky. :)
 Lundquist
11-16-2003, 4:45 PM
so, you all prefer "ah"'s instead of "oh"'s? Okelydokely.
 Ackehallgren
11-16-2003, 6:21 PM
No, i mean... You added your own part to the theme last time.. now its gone... add it again :D
 Lundquist
11-17-2003, 7:18 AM
Just visited your site - I like the design:) now I know what piece of music you meant. That part is actually from 'Shadows of the Empire', not something I wrote myself...
 Ackehallgren
11-17-2003, 12:18 PM
oh! well, it reaaaaaaaaally fits into the DF theme!
 Lundquist
11-20-2003, 12:06 PM
uhm, actually I'm a bit confused - the part of the transition that includes choir is still there, the part from 'SOTE' doesn't have choir, so... :confused: the part with the women Ahs are now a more soft ohs, but if you all prefer the Ahs instead I'll replace them...

Oh, btw, the damnable thing is done - since I don't have the old soundtrack anymore, I couldn't remember the tracklist or how I mixed it together, I hope the way I did it this time is... acceptable:)
ANYWHO, 16 tracks 64:51 rt
 Suprosa
11-23-2003, 2:56 PM
OMG THATS PERFECT, CHANGE NOTHING
 Ackehallgren
11-23-2003, 5:09 PM
Originally posted by Lundquist
uhm, actually I'm a bit confused - the part of the transition that includes choir is still there, the part from 'SOTE' doesn't have choir, so... :confused: the part with the women Ahs are now a more soft ohs, but if you all prefer the Ahs instead I'll replace them...

Oh, btw, the damnable thing is done - since I don't have the old soundtrack anymore, I couldn't remember the tracklist or how I mixed it together, I hope the way I did it this time is... acceptable:)
ANYWHO, 16 tracks 64:51 rt

On my site there's a Choir who i couldnt hear in this version... might be me though (i cant listen to it... what has happened?)
 DarkDefeater
11-24-2003, 9:12 PM
When will it be available for download? Next update?
 EntanglednChaoS
11-25-2003, 8:03 AM
That friggin rules!!!!! It made me a believer. Great work man! Dark Forces now feels even more "Dark" :cool:
 Lundquist
11-25-2003, 10:28 AM
thanks:) I'll send The_One a PM and ask where I can send it...
 Ackehallgren
11-25-2003, 2:58 PM
Lundquist? Do u have msn? and maybe i can explain what i mean :)
 Lundquist
11-25-2003, 4:56 PM
Yes I'm on MSN under darthkenlun@hotmail.com
 Monkey Mania
11-26-2003, 1:25 PM
Do you use GigaStudio or some other kind of expensive sampler because that sounds better than what anything else can do?
 The_One
11-26-2003, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by DarkDefeater
When will it be available for download? Next update?

Hopefully at the weekend :)
 Lundquist
11-26-2003, 2:31 PM
Yes I use GigaStudio - I have 2 comps sat up with MIDIoverLAN,
I've used a couple thousand dollars on samples, and I add reverb with a Lexicon PCM90.
 ION1022
11-26-2003, 5:12 PM
That soundtrack Was MIDI?!?!?! It sounded so real!!! I love that soundtrack I have burned on CD. I hope you keep the original crix madine's fate music, that and The final duel music was my favorite ones. If you could make MIDI sound THAT good than you are a true artist. Keep up the good work.
 Monkey Mania
11-26-2003, 6:18 PM
I knew it, It sounds great! I had to get a refund on my GigaStudio because it didn't support my audio card.
 Lundquist
11-26-2003, 6:28 PM
May I ask what soundcard you have? is it a soundblaster?
 Monkey Mania
11-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Soundblaster Audigy 2.
 Monkey Mania
11-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Ack! I just discovered that the Kx drivers worked with GigaStudio. I guess I'll order it again. What version of GigaStudio do you have? And what instrument libraries did you use? I am working on another game soundtrack and GigaStudio will help out a lot.
 Ackehallgren
11-27-2003, 5:22 AM
Originally posted by Monkey Mania
Ack!

Are you talkin to me? :p
 Lundquist
11-27-2003, 7:33 AM
Monkey Mania: Yes, that's why I asked, I wanted to tell you about the kx drivers in case you didn't know - though I don't know how they work.

I use Gigastudio 160
the libraries I used for this is:
Strings: Vienna strings - from the orchestral cube
Brass: Project Sam Horns, Bones & Trumpets and Kirk Hunter Tuba
Woodwinds: Westgate Studios Woodwind collection
Choir: Voices of the Apocalypse
Chromatic Percussion including Timpani: Ultimate Orchestral Percussion
Other Percussion (snare bassdrum toms cymbal etc): G-Town percussion (these are FREE)

a lot of the samples (especially strings) aren't shown their true potential in this soundtrack though...
 Monkey Mania
11-27-2003, 1:46 PM
Thats a lot! I'll try to get some of those. I am also looking at getting Garritan's Personal Orchestra. Thanks.
 The_One
11-30-2003, 5:29 PM
OK folks, it's now uploaded and available on the website. Many thanks to Karrackoo for getting this beast uploaded ;)

Enjoy!
 Lundquist
11-30-2003, 8:05 PM
gah, I just realized that maybe it didn't have to be in Lame APS, that's pretty high quality - feel free to reencode it if you think it'll be easier for the modemusers.
 Monkey Mania
11-30-2003, 8:59 PM
Seriously!!! I am replacing the Mod's soundtrack with this as soon as it is done! WOW! Such cinematic quality!
 Jedi Luke
11-30-2003, 9:33 PM
Geez dude!! This is fantastic. 10/10 for this. :D
 SotE_Xizor1
12-01-2003, 2:10 AM
It won't download for me :mad: When I got a few MB of it, it stopped and opened the zip right away, and now I can't re-download it! :mad: Any help?
 SlicerDude
12-01-2003, 5:05 AM
Here's the first step: ditch IE! ;)
j/k

Okay, serious now. I suggest that you clean out the cache (aka "Temporary Internet Files") and maybe the history in your browser. Assuming you have Internet Explorer, you can find this under Tools, Internet Options. If you don't have IE, you're probably smart enough to find it.

I use IE myself by the way. I have since I decided Netscape 4 was too outdated. I hate AOL. They bought Netscape and ruined all the subsequent versions. Plus they're just plain annoying, although they do send us nice shiny frisbees... :D
 Ackehallgren
12-01-2003, 6:31 PM
:clap2: Incredible! as Luke Sierra said: 10/10 :clap2:

Will you make a second version with the SOTE part in it? :D:D:D
 Lundquist
12-01-2003, 7:44 PM
Of course, I promised you I would :) - I just took a little break from the music this weekend to play kotor.
 DarkDefeater
12-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Supurb Job. Thanks Lindquist.
 DarkDefeater
12-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Supurb Job. Thanks Lindquist.
 Achilles87
12-02-2003, 1:29 AM
I've only listened to like 2 songs already, (still listening :P) and I'm speechless, I mean wow, sweet! Good job Lundquist, you're awesome!
 Ackehallgren
12-02-2003, 9:52 AM
Originally posted by Lundquist
Of course, I promised you I would :) - I just took a little break from the music this weekend to play kotor.

ok :D
 SlicerDude
12-04-2003, 1:07 AM
WOW...That's amazing. Great job!

Listening to the music gives me a sudden desire to go back and play DF again. Hopefully I'll have time to during winter break.

Just a couple comments on the music:
On #5 After the Massacre, there was an instrument or two that seemed slightly strange-not glaringly so, but just a little weird. It's in the part where its soft and melodic, punctuated by louder blasts on some horn or something. The soft parts are absolutely beautiful, but the blasts seemed slightly strange to me. By the way, that's my only constructive criticism on the whole hour+ of music. Of course there's always something that could sound less electronic, but I'm not complaining.

Also, I loved the sound of the choir in #15 Mohc-The Final Battle.
Once again, great job. I can't wait to see the levels this music goes with.
 SotE_Xizor1
12-04-2003, 1:20 AM
Hate to tell you, but this soundtrack is not the one being used in the mod.

Hey, Lundquist, I can't wait to hear your other soundtrack remakes. You gonna make a version 3 of Dark Forces, adding some more to it? I noticed you left out levels 7, 8, and 9, and most likely other various musical stuff.
 SlicerDude
12-04-2003, 1:38 AM
I forgot to ask if there was stuff missing from this version. I couldn't compare it to the old version because the tracks are organized differently-I think the shorter cues were absorbed into the neighboring tracks or omitted. I noticed that a few of the levels didn't have tracks with corresponding titles, but I though it was possible that they reuse music from other levels.

And yes, I do know that this is the unofficial soundtrack. From Benevolence's work on the TIE Fighter music, it seems that he'll do a similarly wonderful job on the DF soundtrack. Listening to both again, it seems to me that Benevolence's track from TIE Fighter seem's a bit more polished than Lundquist's stuff, but then again, it's 3 and a half minutes compared to an hour and five minutes. I'm looking forward to the finished thing (mod, soundtrack, all that). Yeah right, as if anything is ever truly finished. Seems like the kind of thing people will continue to work on after a complete version is complete.
 Lundquist
12-04-2003, 9:19 AM
Thanks for all the kind words:)
The music for the rest of the levels are indeed just reused from the other levels, the shorter cues were mixed in with the bigger ones - I couldn't remember how I did it the last time though, since I don't have the old soundtrack anymore.
I know that it seems 'sluggish' at places:sweat: I tend to get a little restless when I sit with something like this for so long - so I take some shortcuts to finish faster and hopes nobody notices...

Slicerdude:
I'm glad you liked the choir in 'Mohc - The Final Battle' it was an experiment and I was wondering how it would be received, it took a long time to put the right vowel and consonant sounds together to form the words.
 SotE_Xizor1
12-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that the smuggler ship level's music was used in a different track. And I liked the choir too.
Page: 1 of 2