Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Basic Ideas: Various Minor Additions

Page: 1 of 2
 Marker0077
11-05-2003, 12:22 AM
This is the place to list all the stuff that should go into basic...

* Grappling hook

* Each emote on it's own command

* Make it so you can play at least 12 taunts, preferrably 20 (yes I can sometimes come up with these many taunts for JK) & also add a command so you can play each individual taunt

* Add extra stances as an option & make it so that you can set enable or disable the extra stances for each individual saber type.

*** Add a CVar for showing the winners health points at the end of duels & make it optional so that it may be broadcasted to just the person that lost or to the entire server.

** RGB colored scale for lightsabers

* A CVar that makes it so that the map doesn't change until duels are over but doesn't allow any new duels to begin.

* Add a better MotD system.

* Sabers do not auto-ignite.

* New force ranks that allows all force points to be filled (this was originally my idea BTW).

* CVar that allows you to use light & dark side force points (this would obviously need more force ranks).

* Add a CVar to move chat text to the top of screen (client-side).

* Add a CVar so that alive players can not read dead players text & possibly vice versa. This would include not showing name changes as well.

Okay, that's about it for now. DO NOT LIST ADMIN STUFF HERE or any other incredibly complicated changes that would require a ton of coding. I am starting an admin commands thread, post that stuff there.
 Samuel Dravis
11-05-2003, 4:10 AM
Those last few sound a lot like Forcemod. But that's ok with me. :)

*Default allow spectator chat to duelers to yes
*If cheats are enabled, have levels to cheats. Full, No God and no give health/armor/all (modify this to not give armor and hp?), Allow spawns only. This would make it fun to spawn rancors etc, but not have people just using god or other cheats to win.
 razorace
11-05-2003, 4:33 AM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
*If cheats are enabled, have levels to cheats. Full, No God and no give health/armor/all (modify this to not give armor and hp?), Allow spawns only. This would make it fun to spawn rancors etc, but not have people just using god or other cheats to win.

Or maybe make it an admin command?
 Samuel Dravis
11-05-2003, 4:35 AM
It would be mostly for when the admin leaves the server, but people still want to have wampa duels. The admin could just turn it on when he leaves.
 razorace
11-05-2003, 4:39 AM
I've added those ideas to the suggestions list.
 Marker0077
11-05-2003, 7:22 AM
You don't want to add spawn of npcs, it lags out servers bad when you spawn enough. Also, you don't want any commands that give any 1 person something & not everyone else, that's going to put this mod into the same boat that JA mod for JK2 was/is in. Example, if you have a comand that gives full ammo, have it give everyone full ammo - not just one person, etc; etc. Anything other than that is flat out cheating.

** Make a CVar that allows 2 people to duel in power duel if there are only 2 players connected to the server

I had another idea but I forgot it :-/
 razorace
11-05-2003, 8:33 AM
Hmmm, that's a interesting point. In reality, we need a Co-Op mode that handles all this. I'd suggest something with an option to respawn baddies or not.

In addition, I think power duel needs a work over, the current system of having seperate power teams and single fighters seems odd to me. I'd have it set up to do some sort of tourny thing for team selection.

But then, those are more major modifications.
 Marker0077
11-06-2003, 12:24 AM
I have had a few more ideas, some of which would be a major add but I didn't want to start a whole new thread on this because I don't think it is going to have a whole lot of conversation on it. Anyways...

* Yellow DFA: I see why Raven change the YDFA but I think it was a bad change. Last night I tried YDFA'ing this AFK'er & literally could not do it. Even when you do actually get a hit, it doesn't do that much damage.

I think Raven changed YDFA because being able to move left/right while in mid-air just is not realistic, so I was thinking that maybe it should use force mana while moving left/right in a YDFA.

This would obviously be a CVar between this & the original but obviously most people would want to go with this.

* 2v2 Player Mode: Self-Explanitory, a 2v2 gametype would rock like a mountain.

* JK2 Animations: I was thinking how lame it is without the left to left-forward yellow combo in JK3; So, I was thinking that perhaps we should have a CVar to put back some of the old animations into JK3.

We could also just make a new single saber type. Make the damage settings & animations like they were in JK2 but obviously you would not get any of the new moves as well.
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 1:12 AM
As for power duel, if only two people are on the server, they need to be allowed to duel. However, it should use the regular duel rules if it's 1 vs 1 (equal hp, etc).

As for a new JK2 saber stance, I'm for it, but it needs to be optional for the server.
 razorace
11-06-2003, 2:20 AM
Originally posted by Marker0077
Stuff

I honestly don't see the point of reduxing JK2. If you want to play JK2, go play JK2. :D
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 4:08 AM
:evil1: WE MUST HAVE DISRUPTION MODE AS A CVAR! :evil1:

Well, that would be cool. Concussion Rifle Disruption. :)

Another thing is to allow players to pick out of more models in siege mode. A 3-4 model selection sounds good. They select their class, then their playermodel. Also, there are people that want the custom playermodel in Siege. You'd probably have to integrate that Aayla Secura skin in there to have enough models for that though.
 Marker0077
11-06-2003, 8:47 AM
Originally posted by razorace
I honestly don't see the point of reduxing JK2. If you want to play JK2, go play JK2. :D The point is to get some of those old animations back. I don't think some of them should have been removed, mainly the left to left-forward combo in yellow. That was hella useful.Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
Well, that would be cool. Concussion Rifle Disruption. :)

Another thing is to allow players to pick out of more models in siege mode. A 3-4 model selection sounds good. They select their class, then their playermodel. Also, there are people that want the custom playermodel in Siege. You'd probably have to integrate that Aayla Secura skin in there to have enough models for that though. Fellas, I'd like to point something out to you. Go in your game browser, do a full update for JK3 & look at how many Siege servers there are. There's next to none so I wouldn't go out of your way for something that 99 out of 100 people will never use. As for firearm weapons, same concept except a few more servers use firearm weapons, most don't though.

This is JK, people don't give a damn about weapons or Siege. People come here to use force powers & lightsaber duel. I plan on changing that a bit if I can get Jedi Action going but that remains to be seen. I know the mod would do enormously well but it takes a team of developers & it would appear no one shares the same opinion I do as far as how well the mod would do goes. Too bad.
 razorace
11-06-2003, 10:09 AM
That's not a fair test. The ingame browser is broken and you'll notice that the siege servers are always full.
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 12:08 PM
That's because Siege is really fun...
 Marker0077
11-06-2003, 11:55 PM
That's not a fair test. The ingame browser is broken and you'll notice that the siege servers are always full. Who uses the in-game browser? The thing is crap. Anyways, I show no games for Siege in GS3D & 2 with the in-game browser, neither one are close to being full. The point is, there are next to no Siege servers. While the gametype itself is cool, the weapons are crap, which is why no one plays it.

You guys can pursue it all you like, all I'm saying is no one plays it & it seems like a waste of time to me. You need a mod like Jedi Action to give the weapons *some* purpose. If you can't take the sabers away completely & use just the firearm weapons & have fun that way - it'll never change.
 Samuel Dravis
11-07-2003, 12:17 AM
With ASE I get around 50 siege servers at a time...That's filtering out the passworded ones. The reason that half of them are empty is that:

1) The game's browser does not work. A lot of newbies have no idea that it is broken, until they see something about it somewhere. Also, the JA community has a lot of little kids that wouldn't know how to get/aren't able to obtain ASE or another program.

2) People don't join a server with no one else on it. That makes some of them stay empty for a long time.
 Marker0077
11-07-2003, 2:25 AM
alright, this was a mistake on my part. I set up GS3D incorrectly. FYI, I downloaded ASE & did an update & it showed 20 servers, then I updated it with GS3D & it showed 31 servers.
 Sam Fisher
11-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Can we please get a "Back" button in the Mission Select screen?
Thanks.

Its a pain in the ass having no back button...:)

BTW, I like the mod :D
 Marker0077
11-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Well I think we might have to have an OJP_SP & an OJP_MP mod folders, one obviously for SP & the other for MP, solely because we are discovering that some changes we make for MP would not work out to well in SP (we want to keep this one a little more private for the time being to not make MP playing any worse, Razor knows what I am talking about) & there are probably some changes made in SP that might not do so well in MP as well.

SP mods can run in custom folders just like MP mods can, oddly enough no one sets their SP mods up like that.

As far as this "back button" goes, why don't you just save your game at the beginning of each mission?
 Samuel Dravis
11-08-2003, 12:09 AM
You know, the point of this mod is to provide improvements to the game. I think that it's a valid idea. I'll go check it out.
 Marker0077
11-08-2003, 2:26 AM
You know, the point of this mod is to provide improvements to the game.Ya I got that but I just do not see the point in providing a feature that pretty much exists already. No there is no actual "back" button but if there was it would function in 1 of 2 ways, #1 it auto-saves the last mission & just goes back to it or #2 you just have it load the map. Obviously #1 is the best but you can already save it & have it do the exact same thing - so what's the point?

When I played SP, I saved all the time. I recommend everyone else do the same.
 Samuel Dravis
11-08-2003, 2:39 AM
Well, it doesn't seem too hard to implement. And not everyone is as wise as you are, Marker. :)
 razorace
11-08-2003, 2:49 AM
Originally posted by Marker0077
Well I think we might have to have an OJP_SP & an OJP_MP mod folders, one obviously for SP & the other for MP, solely because we are discovering that some changes we make for MP would not work out to well in SP (we want to keep this one a little more private for the time being to not make MP playing any worse, Razor knows what I am talking about) & there are probably some changes made in SP that might not do so well in MP as well.

SP mods can run in custom folders just like MP mods can, oddly enough no one sets their SP mods up like that.

Well, we might have to do that at some point but I think we need to cross that road once we get there.
 Emon
11-08-2003, 2:57 AM
Whoa, some of that doesn't belong in basic. Basic shouldn't change gameplay other than balance stuff, enhanced is for anything else.

Grappling hook, I think, should never be there. In any distribution. It's fun to fool around with, but you could never play with it seriously, unless you added rope physics...

And, for the love of god, no more emotes in FFA other than a few taunts... please!

Adding new stances I think should be enhanced, but that's debatble.
 razorace
11-08-2003, 3:37 AM
Sorry, you are correct. I wasn't paying attention to the Thread Name. I'll rename the thread to just "Various Minor Additions" since this is basically what the thread is about.
 Marker0077
11-08-2003, 5:36 AM
Originally posted by Emon
And, for the love of god, no more emotes in FFA other than a few taunts... please!Actually what I was suggesting is just make a command for each one of the existing emotes, especially considering they don't work in FFA at all (as far as I know, I don't usually play FFA).

Now that you bring it up though, I don't see what's wrong with more emotes, it adds fun factor & that's the #1 thing that any game is about - fun.
 Emon
11-08-2003, 7:56 PM
Because people abuse them. You get idiots who use sit in the middle of the battlefield and try to chat with their friends. Emotes geared towards "RPGing" need to be strictly prohibited.
 Marker0077
11-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Because people abuse them. You get idiots who use sit in the middle of the battlefield and try to chat with their friends. Emotes geared towards "RPGing" need to be strictly prohibited. People do that in general, not adding more emotes &/or making the existing emotes more available is NOT going to stop or slow that down in ANY way, shape, or form.

If you get someone messing around, you tell them to stop chatting/doing emotes because the next time, you are going to attack them. If this is something that happens often - bind a key to say that, but DO NOT let some lamers ruin it for the rest of us.

I think you should look at the big picture, not just the bad corner of it. The only reason why I brought it up is because I want to be able to access the taunt emote from JK2 all the time, it's quick & is something I can use at a relatively close distance. The flipping the saber emote is pretty cool too.

Again, not all of us sit there & chat & do emotes all the time during a duel, you need to deal with those people individually, not restrict the entire community of some fun factor.
 Samuel Dravis
11-09-2003, 12:04 AM
There is a quick and easy way to get rid of annoying people using emotes too much (
they should be warned about it first): /kick <playername>

If they have a problem with it, there is a lot of other servers out there....
 Marker0077
11-09-2003, 2:45 AM
There is a quick and easy way to get rid of annoying people using emotes too much (
they should be warned about it first): /kick <playername>

If they have a problem with it, there is a lot of other servers out there.... I think he was referring to being on other peoples servers.

It doesn't matter, if they are chatty or abusing emotes, warn them to play because the next time you will attack them. When they die from chatting or abusing emotes enough times, they'll eventually stop; Or they'll die but either way though - problem solved.
 Samuel Dravis
11-09-2003, 3:26 AM
I think he was referring to being on other peoples servers.
In that case, then you are right. They will die. :)
 Emon
11-09-2003, 3:22 PM
You don't get it, do you? First of all, most admins don't monitor their servers that often. If people abuse them, and get kicked, they'll just come back later. You can ban, but most people don't even know it exists or know how to use it.

Hell, it has nothing to do with that at all. You're acting as if all the RPG crap is on the player side, and admins are against it. That's so wrong. If we added emotes, there are going to be servers that ALLOW it and are DEDICATED to it. RPGing is one of the things that lead to the downfall of JO, in my opinion, because idiots just sat around, chatted, etc. And that pisses off the people that actually want to play the game, so then they leave.

Just look around on the JA discussion. Mostly everyone will go raging on about how RPG sucks. There's no way we're adding something that might help in "RPGing" on servers.

New taunts aren't the same, those are fine, and they don't mess up gameplay. Taunts are in UT, and no one has a problem with those. But anything like sitting is not getting in this mod. Ever.
 Chairwalker
11-09-2003, 4:25 PM
Im not sure if it has been mentioned before, but being able to select the custom player colors in an RGB fashion would be cool.
 Emon
11-09-2003, 6:31 PM
Yeah, I should be able to do that just with menu modifications.
 razorace
11-09-2003, 6:48 PM
Originally posted by Chairwalker
Im not sure if it has been mentioned before, but being able to select the custom player colors in an RGB fashion would be cool.

Agreed. I think Emon is working on that.

Stuff about emots.

I'm going to have to disagree. I don't have a problem with RPG emotes as long as they don't have some sort of abuse involved (like no damage or something).

If someone codes it and submits it, that's fine with me. If it's a big deal for you, we could add a RPG emotes disable cvar and ask people to have some sort of [RPG] tag in the server name.
 razorace
11-09-2003, 7:39 PM
Yeah, I should be able to do that just with menu modifications.

Speaking of which, where is tht RGB color data stored in MP? It's different than what's used in SP.
 Emon
11-09-2003, 7:49 PM
...Are you aware of the volume of people that hate RPG playing? We'd get no support from the community if we put it in.

It's an FPS, we shouldn't be adding RPG aspects to the game. It's really going to mess everything up. People are going to abuse it anyway. If you can sit, people will start sitting and chatting, and then they'll get mad if someone kills them, and then those people will get mad at them for RPG playing, and then they'll stop playing the mod, and if every mod starts to have it because they're based off OJP, they'll stop playing JA entirely. That's exactly what happened in JO.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
11-09-2003, 10:10 PM
I agree with Emon here. I just don't think extra emotes are worth having if it even has a chance of starting off the crazy crap that went on in JO.

...I think we have to be a bit responsible -and have the for-sight to nip problems in the bud, rather than relying on both players and admins to act and play within acceptable bounds.

If we add RPG-like emotes, it will have a good chance of encouraging RPG-like gameplay. This is ineviatable as far as I'm concerned...

I'm not against a couple of extra taunts - but that's a different story. (I don't see how 'sitting' - for example - helps to enrich combat!!)
 razorace
11-10-2003, 2:06 AM
Well, I disagree since harmless RPG emotes are a fairly desired feature. People bugged me about it all the time for MotF.

However, I'm perfectly willing to go with the majority on this.
 Emon
11-10-2003, 4:14 AM
That was then, this is now. A lot of people hate RPG and admin mods now.

Besides, it's just not worth the risk. I'd be all for a true, full blown RPG mod, one that doesn't interfere with regular games (JK had one, it was pretty slick, with a new level), but mixing RPG bloat into an FPS is just asking for trouble somewhere along the line.
 razorace
11-10-2003, 4:52 AM
Yeah, but a lot of those individuals just spend all day whining on forums. :)
 Samuel Dravis
11-10-2003, 6:29 PM
I noticed today that a person was using the saber off + roll stab exploit on the [SIN] server. That thing is hateful, and needs to be fixed badly. I know that the patch will most likely have a fix for this, but just wanted to post it in case it doesn't.
 razorace
11-10-2003, 8:40 PM
Please explain the exploit.
 Azymn
11-10-2003, 9:17 PM
Ace, it's that one ASk showed us awhile back in IRC - roll and stab w/ saber off creates blade from old deactivation point to new tip.
 Samuel Dravis
11-10-2003, 9:30 PM
Yeah, that's the one.
 razorace
11-10-2003, 9:33 PM
Oh, ok. I thought it was only a visual problem. Does it apply to hit detection as well?
 Azymn
11-10-2003, 9:52 PM
Indeed.
 Marker0077
11-11-2003, 5:54 AM
If someone codes it and submits it, that's fine with me. If it's a big deal for you, we could add a RPG emotes disable cvar and ask people to have some sort of [RPG] tag in the server name. Just make a server CVar for it & the game will show the "RPG" rule as being set to 0 or 1. He can filter out those servers at that point, but I agree with you on this. There is no real problem there.Originally posted by Emon
...Are you aware of the volume of people that hate RPG playing? We'd get no support from the community if we put it in.Dude, no offense, but you need to get a grip. It's not going to destroy the game FFS. Raven added the meditate emote to JK3, I haven't heard 1 complaint from anyone about any of the new emotes, aside from you.

You want a good example? Look at JediPlus, no offense to Jason but his mod sucked bad but people loved it. It was the #1 server & client side mod FFS - how ridiculous is that?

People like emotes, it adds fun factor to the game. Yes, it is gh3y to sit there & do nothing but chat & do emotes but as long as you WARN people that they need to stop because next time you are going to attack them - it's fine.Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk
I'm not against a couple of extra taunts - but that's a different story. (I don't see how 'sitting' - for example - helps to enrich combat!!) Sometimes in FFA you just want to take a break. You sitting somewhere is an obvious sign that you are not playing at that moment; Or, if you go AFK for a bit, it does the same there as well.Originally posted by razorace
However, I'm perfectly willing to go with the majority on this. If you really want to go with the majority on this, take up a poll in the general forums. I guarantee people will want this stuff in there.

You don't have to be a coder to have an opinion or good ideas, granted people in general don't have good ideas but they are out there. I suggest you guys take polls in public places & get your feedback there.Originally posted by Emon
A lot of people hate RPG and admin mods now.Who? Who has ever said that? There have been a bunch of people who hated Jedi Academy mod because of all the abusive admin commands but I have never heard anyone complaining about excessive usage of emotes - never, & I've been here since day 1.

I will agree with you guys on the freeze emote, it does leave room for admin abuse, but if you guys code ONLY what you want & not what the community wants, I don't see anyone wanting to use this on their server.
 razorace
11-11-2003, 6:24 AM
While we appreciate feedback from the general public, we don't do our decisions based on public polls.

Let's face it, the general public aren't modders and 99% have no real clue of what's possible, reasonable, or what they really want. Heck, 75% of the modders don't either.

As such, you can't really catter to them since you can't learn what they really want by talking to them. If you just did what "the community" wants, you'd spend all your time doing crappy clan reskins, adding abusive admin functions, and constantly nerfing/twinking damage settings.

I've also found that modders are basically 100% intereste based. They don't do what you ask unless they're really interested in whatever they're doing. As such, giving out assignments just does not work.

Finally, OJP is primarily for developers. They come first since they are the ones that contribute and support OJP. Sure, public/server support is great and all, but it has little relivence to the success of the project.
 Marker0077
11-11-2003, 6:31 AM
As such, you can't really catter to them since you can't learn what they really want by talking to them.That is sooo not true. Yes, most of the ideas are bad, however, the good ones are in there. Personally I think you just don't want to deal with the hassle of public polls (dealing with n00bs & whatnot) & I have to admit, it is a bit of a struggle, but is well worth it IMO.
Page: 1 of 2