Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

HUGE MP Maps!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 MasterSidious
10-27-2003, 9:50 PM
Ok, so its all good as far as the vehicles go, but...

Let's get to the point, am I the only one who want a HUGE CTF map where there's every kind of vehicle, and the map is actually big enough to put them to use. We're talking BIG here :D I'm thinking about making a huge map like this when I get JA, any ideas, questions, comments? I'm thinking about like a BIG map with everything where u can use it.

Thanks in advance :D
 Rankith
10-28-2003, 3:24 AM
Actually I was thinking of trying something like that when I finish my current project. I agree that it would be lots of fun!!!
FPS might be bad though.
 darthVADER
10-28-2003, 7:10 AM
working on it for some time now my map is so friggn huge you can even goto hyperspace in it
 SD_Radical_Ed
10-28-2003, 4:00 PM
im working on a huge ctf map, its got all the vehicles and more, turbolasers on top of each base, etc, designed for a war with tons of players, here is a link:

http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum5/HTML/010507.html)

in its early stages, tell me more about what you would like to see in it.
 MasterSidious
10-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Actually my bro was thinking of something very much like this only make a bunch of caves (instead of bedrooms) where you can find a whole bay full of ships and speeders ect. and with the rancors also in the caves. ALso turbo lasers, we don't have it yet, how flexible are they, horizantal ,v ertical or both
 SD_Radical_Ed
10-29-2003, 3:55 PM
the turbos have a 360 degree rotational axis on both planes (it can shoot everywhere), and they are automatically controlled.
 MasterSidious
10-29-2003, 9:53 PM
So you can shoot literally anywhere? Automatically controled, what do ya mean by that?
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-03-2003, 3:46 PM
the turbolasers are not controlled by you, they are automatic, like those computerized turrets in sp. and will automatically shoot at the opposing team.
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-03-2003, 3:48 PM
i could post some screenies up, if i knew how.. anyone know how to put up screens?
 shukrallah
11-03-2003, 6:41 PM
go to www.angelfire.com) upload it, then do this on the forum "IMAGE URL" Dont put the " marks... :) Should work.
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-03-2003, 6:45 PM
just check out this forum topic for some old screenies, ill post some new ones very soon.

http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum5/HTML/010507.html)
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-05-2003, 1:21 PM
Okay! the new screenies are up, with screenies of the turbolasers too! check out the link i posted.
 wedge2211
11-05-2003, 2:39 PM
Read through the Massassi thread. I'm with gothicX. It could be LOADS of fun to play, but a big, open space just isn't INTERESTING. Add obstacles for the vehicles, vary the terrain, dunes, hills, mountains, canyons, yes plains, but not plain plains, add in trees/rocks/varied textures/streams/lakes/buildings/whatever.

For a good overview of how to make sweet terrain, check rgoer's thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106198) (read down a bit, he posts a tutorial on EasyGen terrains).
 GothiX
11-05-2003, 2:53 PM
You beat me to it, Wedge. :)
 MasterSidious
11-06-2003, 2:59 AM
Looked at the pics which are very cool. Didn't really see where a flag could go but ya, that's really sweet. Plenty of vehicles :D Where is the hard work though, you could litteraly get lost in the middle of that is you just ejected out of a flyable vehilce though :D
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-06-2003, 3:29 AM
im one step ahead of ya.. thats part of the gameplay.. its meant to be played with teams, so your team members will have to go and pick you up with the shuttle, whith air support giving cover fire, im gonna make the shuttle so that 3 people can be in it at once.
 lauser
11-10-2003, 8:00 AM
Yeah I'm making an ALL IN ONE MAP and I started to make it quite large. So big in fact is was 1/4 the size of the WORLD!! Which case the world as you might know is 65, 500 cubic units for JA. First compile I had an error that said VIS had gone beyond the limits of the editor. So I guess there is a size limit to any map. My map is now 1/2 the original size and has 2000 brushes. I'm only about a third of the way done too. It takes 4.5 minutes to run on foot all the way around my map. I think it takes 20 seconds or less by swoop bike once around. I'm happy that you can make such big maps in JA.

My question is---> Is there a size limit? Or did I do something wrong?
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-12-2003, 5:20 PM
mines way bigger than that. it takes like 1.2 min to only drive across the level on a swoop, not around it.

it takes up the entire grid in radiant
 Business_Eskimo
11-12-2003, 10:31 PM
I sure hope you are using fog :)
 WadeV1589
11-13-2003, 12:36 AM
If you really are making huge maps then vis data is going to become quite irrelevant if they're almost entirely open. So select a regular brush then press N. Type in a key of _blocksize and a value of "16384 16384 16384" (I hesitate to say just set it to "0", oh and don't type the quotation marks). And if you're not using fog type a key of distancecull and a value that is just plain huge, bigger than the distance between two corners that are opposite each other and the furthest apart from each other so you can see the entire map when you're flying around at high speed which is essential - kotor_flight_school annoys me for 2 reasons, 1 the distancecull is way too low, 2 the map is so small for flying it hurts.

Oh you may want to type the key _gridsize with a value of "128 128 256" and the key _lightmapscale with the value "3" as well to cut down the lighting stage of compile.
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-13-2003, 1:34 AM
what is the purpose of creating this big brush? and what is the purpose of the _gridsize?
 ondrahosek
11-13-2003, 4:46 AM
Don't ask me, but the compilation of my big fat map got radically faster!!!

You da man, Wade!
 GothiX
11-13-2003, 5:43 AM
It makes you see the entire map.
 WadeV1589
11-13-2003, 12:35 PM
lol Gothix he said what's the purpose of _gridsize not distancecull :p

_gridsize - dynamic lighting of in-game entities such as the player model, it takes averages of the surrounding lighting and applies them to a grid, if you have a small gridsize your player will seem to take on the surrounding lighting much more accurately but at the expense of compile speed and most people won't notice the suttle changes anyway.

distancecull - what Gothix said, lets you see further before the map is culled.

_blocksize - you know that stage of compile labelled "vis"? Well it works on nice principles called leafs, nodes and portals...all structural brushes create more vis data (to keep it simple) but on top of that the map is sliced up to create basic vis data in blocks. blocksize makes these blocks bigger which cuts down vis data.
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-13-2003, 12:48 PM
i already did the distancecull, a loong time ago, but with the _blocksize, do i just create a random brush in the exact center of my level and do that?

_gridsize, what would be a good value for it, if my map is the size of the entire gtkradiant grid?(my lighting process currently takes forever, never been able to complete it cuz its too long)
 wedge2211
11-13-2003, 1:41 PM
I sure hope you plan on using one of these (http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/manual/foghull_guide.htm)...otherwise) performance will suck in this map.

And I also hope it's not just one big open room, make sure there are obstacles and landforms, too!
 ondrahosek
11-13-2003, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by SD_Radical_Ed
i already did the distancecull, a loong time ago, but with the _blocksize, do i just create a random brush in the exact center of my level and do that?

_gridsize, what would be a good value for it, if my map is the size of the entire gtkradiant grid?(my lighting process currently takes forever, never been able to complete it cuz its too long)

Just pick whatever static brush (a worldspawn; just where you would put distancecull) and add _blocksize and _gridsize.

Assign 99999 to _gridsize. I think that's enough.
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-13-2003, 2:25 PM
i dont use fog, it works fine without it, i have the grafix on high in JA, and there is no lag at all. i tried terrain, but whenever i add it i get a "Brush with unbounded volume" error when i try to compile, so i scrapped that. Check the forum topic link i posted up previously for some screenies. also, another reason i dont have terain is cuz i have the underground hanger set just right so that when you take off, the hangar doors open up to the sky and you lift up out of it and take off flying exactly at ground level.
 WadeV1589
11-13-2003, 2:47 PM
_gridsize 9999 bad!!! Nevermind it's not 3 values :p

For a map that big, "256 256 512", if that still takes forever "512 512 512" but 256x256x512 really is big for the gridsize

And yes _blocksize in the same place and use, for the full grid..."16384 16384 16384"
 SD_Radical_Ed
11-13-2003, 4:21 PM
umm.... I think i understand what you just said...

i add this to my worldspawn entity:

_gridsize 256 256 512
_blocksize 16384 16384 16384
Page: 1 of 1