Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Adding Sounds to Cutscenes?

Page: 1 of 1
 Chewy289
10-18-2003, 7:15 PM
I'm making a cutscene for my map and I can't figure out how to make a character say something by adding the ent in BehavEd. Kengo's tutorials doesn't explain this.

Can anyone help?
Thanks.
 shukrallah
10-18-2003, 7:39 PM
So i guess you got your cutscene working, thats good.

For talking, take the npc you want to talk, click him, hit n, for the key type NPC_targetname (NPC must be capitalized) and for the value, type anything you want, this is that npcs "name" for this example, i will say storm1 (like its a stormtrooper) ok so for the NPC you have:

key: NPC_targetname
value: storm1

save, and compile.

now load up BehavEd. Double click "affect" on the left, it should go into the main view. click it again, and type in the npcs name (for the example, its storm1) then, click the + sign thingy, and double click task, so its right under the affect space. For the task, type in whatever you want, it just describes what he/she does. For the example, i will call it talk. Ok, now double click the sound thingy, hit the drop down menu, and choose voice. (make sure the sound thing is under the task thing) and type in the sound file (sounds\chars\......) then close up the task thing by hitting the - sign. Double click the "do" button on the left. Make it go directly under the task. then for the do, type in what you called the task. (for the example, its called talk)

to show you what it looks like: (i know, my example was a bit confusing)

[quote]

//(BHVD)

affect ( "storm1", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{

task ( "talk" )
{
sound ( /*@CHANNELS*/ CHAN_VOICE, "SOUND FILE NAME GOES HERE!" );
}

do ( "talk" );
}

[quote]

its just 4 simple lines! Its not hard once you learn it... i really hope it helps you out.
 Chewy289
10-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks a lot!
BTW, is there a reason every NPC appears in cutscenes except yourself?

Thanks.
 shukrallah
10-19-2003, 1:18 AM
im not sure, i think its to prevent other NPCs from attacking you while the cutscene is running.
 Szico VII
10-25-2003, 7:44 PM
ahhh. gothiX told me about this. you the player cant appear in cutscenes, but the npc_kyle can. so you need to make him appear in the cutscene if you want to see yourself.
 idontlikegeorge
10-25-2003, 8:00 PM
Or an NPC_Player.

That NPC class holds the same model/skin data as the playermodel, and is used in cutscenes.
 shukrallah
10-26-2003, 12:22 AM
yeah, in the demo i typed NPC SPAWN player, and i killed myself :) i was doing the melee attacks on... myself :-\ thats confusing :(
 Szico VII
10-26-2003, 8:50 PM
how do you get new music to come on with a cutscene? to change the mood e.t.c
also, how do you use the message function in behave ed?
im not sure what it was at the mo butit was something like "print" command. where does it goe if you have a camera cutscene. do you need a start/end point like the camera on/off commands?
 Kengo
10-26-2003, 9:08 PM
Originally posted by Szico VII
how do you get new music to come on with a cutscene? to change the mood e.t.c
also, how do you use the message function in behave ed?
im not sure what it was at the mo butit was something like "print" command. where does it goe if you have a camera cutscene. do you need a start/end point like the camera on/off commands?

Print doesn't work, there is no way to print text in that manner in a cutscene. However, you can print straings of text in normal play (see Dark Alliance) or use the subtitles to make text (see Occupation). Music can be similarly to voice.
Page: 1 of 1