Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Water and Fire Maps.

Page: 1 of 1
 ZBomber
10-16-2003, 7:22 PM
Here are some concept drawings for a map I'm making. :)

http://jeditwotwenty.tripod.com/water.txt)
http://jeditwotwenty.tripod.com/fire.txt)

Thanks to Jed for uploading the pics. :)

As you can see, they are fire and water based maps. There is a dueling platform above each map, and on the water one, there are underground tunnels that lead to different areas. Some of the rocks will be breakable on the fire Map. I'll post some pictures in game soon. ;)
 Kengo
10-17-2003, 8:24 AM
Z, I like the ideas you've got going there - elemental themed maps is a terrific idea, and having the fight suspended above some kind of pitfall tends to be enjoyabel - hwoever, your concept drawing are as bad as one of mine :)
 ZBomber
10-17-2003, 6:33 PM
Originally posted by Kengo
Z, I like the ideas you've got going there - elemental themed maps is a terrific idea, and having the fight suspended above some kind of pitfall tends to be enjoyabel - hwoever, your concept drawing are as bad as one of mine :)

You know it. I have no artistic skills, what so ever. :p

Glad you like the ideas though. :)
 ZBomber
10-17-2003, 10:17 PM
 Tesla
10-17-2003, 11:14 PM
Lookin good so far :D
You could either build the pipes through another part of the map or down the side of a wall or....i dont know :p
 wedge2211
10-18-2003, 2:31 AM
THe angles and repeating textures...make it look like JK...
 lassev
10-18-2003, 8:53 AM
Your map desperately cries out for some nice curves and patches...
 ZBomber
10-18-2003, 9:35 PM
Originally posted by lassev
Your map desperately cries out for some nice curves and patches...

Yeh, I plan on making the rocks more curvey, but blocky too, and once I figure out where the pipe will go, I'll try to make it more of a circular shape, instead of a 9-Sided Polygon. :p

I dunno if you can see it good in the pics, but at the bottom of the water area, there is a hole in the ground, which leads to the pipes, and the pipes bring you to an outer area, where it is being turned into acid.....
 El Sitherino
10-19-2003, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Yeh, I plan on making the rocks more curvey, but blocky too, and once I figure out where the pipe will go, I'll try to make it more of a circular shape, instead of a 9-Sided Polygon. :p

I dunno if you can see it good in the pics, but at the bottom of the water area, there is a hole in the ground, which leads to the pipes, and the pipes bring you to an outer area, where it is being turned into acid..... instead of making it acid you could perhaps make it into boiling water. maybe even turn that into like ctf and combine the fire idea with the water idea. just a thought :p
 ZBomber
10-19-2003, 6:58 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
instead of making it acid you could perhaps make it into boiling water. maybe even turn that into like ctf and combine the fire idea with the water idea. just a thought :p

I like the CTF Idea, but in my opinion, they are too small for CTF Maps. They might even be too small for FFA, so I mgiht make them Duel.....

Boiling water might be good, how could I make it thoguh. Maybe add alittle gof above the water? :confused:
 El Sitherino
10-19-2003, 9:36 PM
what i mean is like take both the maps. put them in the same map and add a little middle area and the fire can be red base and the water be the blue base :)
 ZBomber
10-19-2003, 9:58 PM
what i mean is like take both the maps. put them in the same map and add a little middle area and the fire can be red base and the water be the blue base :)

Yeh, but, I'd have to edit most of it. The Fire map is way smaller than the water Map. But MAYBE, I'll make a few maps, CTF, Duel (for each one) and FFA, each using the fir and Water Maps. Thanks for the ideas! :)
 El Sitherino
10-19-2003, 10:26 PM
you could try to make some bubbling shaders for the boiling water then add in some fog to be steam. :)

perhaps you could even make a fire monster using the sandcreature :p. actually i think i might do that. make a lava monster... :)
 ZBomber
10-19-2003, 11:34 PM
you could try to make some bubbling shaders for the boiling water then add in some fog to be steam. :)

perhaps you could even make a fire monster using the sandcreature :p. actually i think i might do that. make a lava monster... :)

Ooh, If you make one, send it to me, and I'll put it in the map. ^_^
 shukrallah
10-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Add the sound effect that sounds like its boiling. In jk2 it was slime.. ill look it up for JA...

ok, didnt find much... you might want to be a little sneaky, and use the slime sound effect from JK2. Im not sure if its legal or not, but it would be better (for boiling water, it sounded like boiling water)

You might want to put this sound in for a random effect (like one plays every 2 minutes)

sound\player\lava_land.mp3 i know it says sound/player (its when the player falls into lava) but you really cant tell. If you have it play every 2 minutes, it would make it sound like the water splattered or something, lava and water sound pretty close together, and in game while playing, i doubt anyone would notice it was a lava sound, if they could even tell.

Make fog for the steam. Its easier, and faster than creating a whole new .efx file. Also, try these .efx files, it would look pretty good... (im not sure how these look, im just guessing by there names) effects\volumetric\steam.efx effects\volumetric\steam_jet.efx

Also, for the fire map, make sure you add in lots of fire sound effects. It makes it a lot more realistic. there are plenty of fire sounds in the assets0.pk3 file.
 El Sitherino
10-20-2003, 1:21 AM
well i don't really like the included fire sounds but they could work. I might go out and set a fire sometime this week and make some sounds. (not an illegal fire, a bonfire in a fire pit :p )
 shukrallah
10-20-2003, 11:25 AM
lol, i didnt play the sounds, i just saw fire1.mp3 fire2.mp3 flame_jet.mp3 :) Good luck Zbomber!
 ZBomber
10-20-2003, 6:45 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
lol, i didnt play the sounds, i just saw fire1.mp3 fire2.mp3 flame_jet.mp3 :) Good luck Zbomber!

Thanks a ton. Very good suggestions, and I like the lava sound, which could be splashing Idea. :)

Also, expect some of the Snow Level pics in the next few days. ;)

And if I didn't already mention, this will be my first map released to the public. :)
 shukrallah
10-20-2003, 7:29 PM
yeah, i remember when you first started making maps Zbomber :D anyways, are these going to be in a map pack, or individual? Also, depending on what you want for the snow map, this might be useful. Say you want a mountainous area, with valleys (im not sure what you want, and if dont want to, you dont have to! Its just a suggestion) so, a mountainous area, with valleys, sort of like hoth... try this: Easy Gen (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106198)

Dude, its the best way to make terrain. The best part about it is that it requires almost no work. Just simply make a greyscale .bmp, load it in easy gen, paint it, and your done! (well.. almost you'll see in the tutorial if your interested) it can be tough when your learning.. i had tons of problems, but in the end, it was worth it! And you can always add detail to it. It looks so awesome, and there were almost no maps in jk2 made using this technique that just this alone, with a skybox can pass for a whole map! Youlll barley use radiant at all. :D just a tip.

Can u put snow in MP maps (like its falling from the sky?)
 ZBomber
10-20-2003, 11:41 PM
yeah, i remember when you first started making maps Zbomber :D anyways, are these going to be in a map pack, or individual? Also, depending on what you want for the snow map, this might be useful. Say you want a mountainous area, with valleys (im not sure what you want, and if dont want to, you dont have to! Its just a suggestion) so, a mountainous area, with valleys, sort of like hoth... try this: Easy Gen (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106198)

Dude, its the best way to make terrain. The best part about it is that it requires almost no work. Just simply make a greyscale .bmp, load it in easy gen, paint it, and your done! (well.. almost you'll see in the tutorial if your interested) it can be tough when your learning.. i had tons of problems, but in the end, it was worth it! And you can always add detail to it. It looks so awesome, and there were almost no maps in jk2 made using this technique that just this alone, with a skybox can pass for a whole map! Youlll barley use radiant at all. :D just a tip.

Can u put snow in MP maps (like its falling from the sky?)

Excellent, I was actually trying to find a good way to make mountains, since I couldn't get anyhtign to look good in Radiant. :)

You can get snow if you add a FX_Runner, and its just like the SP version. :)

EDIT - Yes, if they are released as FFA Maps, they will be released togetherm shouldn't be too hard, since they are basically small maps. :)
 shukrallah
10-21-2003, 12:29 AM
kool, glad you like it. If you need any help just ask :)
 ZBomber
10-21-2003, 12:37 AM
kool, glad you like it. If you need any help just ask :)

Yeh, I probably will. :p

I'll start doing it tommarow, I won't get much done if i start tonight. :)

Just wondering, what is a greyscale bmp? Like the Black and white option, I'm guesisng? I don't have photoshop on this PC, so all I have to work with At the moment is MSPaint.... :S
 shukrallah
10-21-2003, 12:50 AM
you dont need photoshop, ms paint will do nicley. Make sure your picture size is exaclty 33X33 (go to image, then click attributes, then change the width and the hight to 33 and 33) for the greyscale, its basically blask and white. Justy use different greys, black and white. the whiter it is, the higher it is. The blacker it is, the lower it is. 50% grey is exactly sea level (normal ground) what i do is, i make the edges mostly white (or close to it) that way your completly sorrounded by mountains... but it depends on what you want to do.
 ZBomber
10-22-2003, 7:38 PM
Thanks, I finished it, and it looks great! :)
 Business_Eskimo
10-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Add the sound effect that sounds like its boiling. In jk2 it was slime.. ill look it up for JA...
ok, didnt find much... you might want to be a little sneaky, and use the slime sound effect from JK2. Im not sure if its legal or not, but it would be better (for boiling water, it sounded like boiling water)
Yeah, that's perfectly legal. You can use sounds from any Raven game in any other Raven game as long it is noted in the readme file.
 ZBomber
10-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Business_Eskimo
Yeah, that's perfectly legal. You can use sounds from any Raven gtame in any other Raven game as long it is noted in the readme file.

Cool. :)

Heres the progress so far:

Fire map: 95% Done
Water Map: 70% done
Snow map: 50% done.

I'm making the snow map have a huge racing course. :)
 ZBomber
11-23-2003, 5:50 PM
Working out a few bugs, and my Fire Map will be released by tommarow. ;)
 kmd
11-25-2003, 1:10 AM
were will it be released?
 ZBomber
11-25-2003, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by kmd
were will it be released?

JK2Files
PCGamemods
And I'll also host it. ;)

HOWEVER, it won't be released to JK2Files or pcgamemods right away, since I'm having trouble with the levelshot. I'll upload it within an hour....
 kmd
11-25-2003, 7:18 PM
so when wil it be on pcgamemods? within the hour or another day?
 GothiX
11-26-2003, 9:35 AM
In JA, it seams you can use JPG's as levelshots. Take a screenshot with the "screenshot silent" command, and save it with the exact same name as your map and put it in base/levelshots. Tadaa!
 ZBomber
11-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by gothicX
In JA, it seams you can use JPG's as levelshots. Take a screenshot with the "screenshot silent" command, and save it with the exact same name as your map and put it in base/levelshots. Tadaa!

I did. Still doesn't work.....

I'm not sure yet. Wacky_Baccy is hosting it so people can BEAT test it, tell me what I need to fix up, and then I will send it in to JK2Files, and upload it on PCGamemods. ;)

http://www.echonetwork.net/wacky/VolcanicSith.zip)

Thank you Wacky_Baccy (:D) for hosting the map ^_^
 kmd
11-26-2003, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I did. Still doesn't work.....

I'm not sure yet. Wacky_Baccy is hosting it so people can BEAT test it, tell me what I need to fix up, and then I will send it in to JK2Files, and upload it on PCGamemods. ;)

http://www.echonetwork.net/wacky/VolcanicSith.zip)

Thank you Wacky_Baccy (:D) for hosting the map ^_^ cant find it
 shukrallah
11-26-2003, 2:42 PM
Look inside the JA assets pk3 files, and see how raven did it... maybe you should just do it the traditional way with a .tga file.
 ZBomber
11-26-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by kmd
cant find it

Should work now. ;)
 mknote
11-27-2003, 2:45 PM
Not bad. It's a bit box-like, but that's fine. One error (maybe) is that, if you fall into the lava (isn't it supposed to be fire?), you fall out of it at the bottom. Hardly noticeable. Also, some of the... things... on the side have EFS (eternity falling syndrome, where you are stuck falling and can't get out). If I were to rate it, it would get a 7.6/10. No clue on how to fix the levelshot problem, but maybe try to make it a .tga?

MK
 kmd
11-27-2003, 3:10 PM
what he said, you hit the rocks, bam, you are stuck, the lava should be fire, the lighting awful!!! get some light in there, its really blocky, no eye candy, very plain, no bot suport, 4/10
 ZBomber
11-27-2003, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by kmd
what he said, you hit the rocks, bam, you are stuck, the lava should be fire, the lighting awful!!! get some light in there, its really blocky, no eye candy, very plain, no bot suport, 4/10

Its supposed to be a dark cave. There is two sources of lighing, a light in the corner, next to a supply box left over from the Siths, and the lava.

Yes, The rock problem is annoying. I used EasyGen for it..... but its kinda yucky......

Lava problem I'm fixing right now. ;)
 mknote
12-14-2003, 3:10 PM
How are the maps going? I haven't seen anything anywhere about these maps. Have you given up?

MK
 ZBomber
12-14-2003, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by mknote
How are the maps going? I haven't seen anything anywhere about these maps. Have you given up?

MK

Well, I'm gonna finish the Fire map, after that, I'm gonna be working on my SSBM mod. So, I mgiht come back to the water and Ice maps another time. HOWEVER, if anyone woul like to work on these projects, tell me, because I drew lots of floor plans. ;)

The fire map is almost done. ;)
 __CKY__
12-15-2003, 12:39 AM
Good news to hear :D.
Page: 1 of 1