Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will there be a JK3 radiant?

Page: 1 of 1
 Tyler_Durden
10-13-2003, 9:10 PM
I got used to using JK2 radiant. I tried using GTK but it felt awkward and ended up getting rid of it. Will Lucasarts and Raven be releasing a JK3 radiant? I have this project i want to get started on and it depends on whether i have to use gtk or JK3 radiant (if released). Yeah i know about Q3map2 compiling. I just wanted to know, this way i can either spend a few more weeks - month finalizing characters and story or get started mapping with gtk.

Also, are there any tutorials on the new terrain system?
 WadeV1589
10-13-2003, 9:17 PM
AFAIK Raven used a slightly different version of the recently released GTKRadiant (1.3.12) so I don't see a JK3Radiant being released as well.

What I don't get it, going with the basic, all radiants work on the same grounds, why, no I mean how can GTK be the worse? If anything it takes the good from things like JK2Radiant and EFRadiant and improves on them. If it's the key setup, it can be changed to work like the JK2 and EF Radiants. As of yet I've seen no real benefits of sticking with old software such as the old Radiants.
 lassev
10-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by WadeV1589

What I don't get it, going with the basic, all radiants work on the same grounds, why, no I mean how can GTK be the worse?

The bloody func_groups are still drawn in black. How is one supposed to see black func_groups on black background? And rather than tell me to change my long favored black background to eye piercing white, tell me how to change the func_group default colour from black to something else...

Well, I don't in reality consider GTK the worse of the two. But still I have the problem mentioned above.
 reaper1576
10-14-2003, 11:53 AM
your better of with GTKradiant than JOradiant GTK is constantly being developed and is alot more stable that ravens version used in the JO sdks
 GothiX
10-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by lassev
The bloody func_groups are still drawn in black. How is one supposed to see black func_groups on black background? And rather than tell me to change my long favored black background to eye piercing white, tell me how to change the func_group default colour from black to something else...

Well, I don't in reality consider GTK the worse of the two. But still I have the problem mentioned above.

Misc _> Colors -> Themes -> Maya/Lightwave emulation.

And JK3Radiant? There is no JK3. There is JK:JA.
 WadeV1589
10-14-2003, 1:26 PM
Please don't start with the JK3/JA debate in this thread. The two are totally interchangeable, JO is JK2, JA is JK3, people know what both mean so why argue about it at all? And that was a rhetorical question meaning it doesn't need answering.
 GothiX
10-14-2003, 1:47 PM
And what happens when the actual JK3 comes out and people start searching tutorials/info for it? Prezactly. They find this.
 WadeV1589
10-14-2003, 1:51 PM
AN RAFAEL, Calif. - April 3, 2003 -- Continuing the epic legacy of the critically and commercially acclaimed Jedi Knight action game series, LucasArts, a Lucasfilm Ltd. company, announces Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy for Windows PC and the Xbox(tm) video game system from Microsoft. Expected for release fall 2003, this latest chapter in one of interactive entertainment's most celebrated game series extends the partnership between LucasArts and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), through its developer Raven Software. Star Wars® Jedi Knight®: Jedi Academy(tm) is the follow up to Star Wars® Jedi Knight II®: Jedi Outcast(tm), the best selling premium priced PC game in America, United Kingdom, and Germany upon initial release in 2002.

Please note the bit in bold.
 lassev
10-14-2003, 4:18 PM
Originally posted by gothicX
Misc _> Colors -> Themes -> Maya/Lightwave emulation.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't really do that. I guess I'm far too conservative for that. I noticed the program changes at least some of the coloring used for the different brushes and funcs with the different color themes. And I have long since learnt to recognize the funcs by their color. I'd be all befuddled, if they were changed...

However, I adjusted the background and the grid minor color just a little bit lighter. That allows black func_groups to be seen, yet keeps the overall theme dark enough for my dark thoughts.
 Emon
10-14-2003, 4:42 PM
As far as I know, that theme doesn't affect anything other that the grid colors.
 GothiX
10-14-2003, 5:09 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
AN RAFAEL, Calif. - April 3, 2003 -- Continuing the epic legacy of the critically and commercially acclaimed Jedi Knight action game series, LucasArts, a Lucasfilm Ltd. company, announces Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy for Windows PC and the Xbox(tm) video game system from Microsoft. Expected for release fall 2003, this latest chapter in one of interactive entertainment's most celebrated game series extends the partnership between LucasArts and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), through its developer Raven Software. Star Wars® Jedi Knight®: Jedi Academy(tm) is the follow up to Star Wars® Jedi Knight II®: Jedi Outcast(tm), the best selling premium priced PC game in America, United Kingdom, and Germany upon initial release in 2002.

Please note the bit in bold.

I see the bit in bold. But did you read it too? It says Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. Would they do that if JA was JK3? No, then it would say "Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy". Anmd it doesn't.
 Greymon
10-14-2003, 5:51 PM
Um, GothicX, Ravensoft calls it JK3. I think thats pretty much definitive, is it not?

http://jediacademy.ravengames.com/)
 WadeV1589
10-14-2003, 5:56 PM
GothicX remember the debate about BitTorrent? I think it applies here :p
 GothiX
10-14-2003, 6:04 PM
Originally posted by Greymon
Um, GothicX, Ravensoft calls it JK3. I think thats pretty much definitive, is it not?

LucasArts has the copyrights, and they announce it as the sequel to JO, but not JK3. They explicitly stated it this way.
 WadeV1589
10-14-2003, 6:06 PM
You know the rules, can't say something like that without a quote or better yet a URL saying that it was made clear JA is not JK3.
 Emon
10-14-2003, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by Greymon

RavenGames is a fan site, the official site is Raven Software (http://www.ravensoft.com/frameset.html), and they call it Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, just as LEC does.
 WadeV1589
10-14-2003, 6:20 PM
Also from the offiial press release from LEC

"With the overwhelming success and critical acclaim of Star Wars: Jedi Outcast, continuing an alliance with Activision and Raven Software was a clear and very easy decision," says Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts. "As they did with its best selling predecessor, Raven will bring to Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy innovative, dynamic, and challenging game play that honors the well-respected legacy of the series."

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy begins shortly after the conclusion of events in Star Wars: Jedi Outcast. Players create a Jedi apprentice character and join the Jedi Academy on Yavin 4 to learn the ways of the Force under the tutelage of Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn. While the young apprentice embarks on various missions to hone their skills and abilities, a mysterious group is discovered creating havoc throughout the galaxy. Until order is restored, the fate of the Jedi Academy – and the future of the Star Wars galaxy itself – hangs precariously in the balance.

Unless they plan to release a Jedi Knight squished in between Outcast and Academy, Academy is JK3. I don't see why this is such a problem. It's the next in the series, which means 3, just because the number was excluded from the title does not mean it's not 3.
 Greymon
10-14-2003, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by gothicX
LucasArts has the copyrights, and they announce it as the sequel to JO, but not JK3. They explicitly stated it this way.

Lucasarts explicitly says that its a continuation of the Jedi Knight series. It IS JK3. What the offical title on the box says is irrelevant. It is the third game in the JK series therefore it is JK3. Thats the way the world works. There will not be a game called JK3 because thats what JA is. They left 3 off the title because you're not playing as Katarn and they didnt want to confuse people. Obviously they failed.

Here, read this: http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/depart/apr03/jedi.html)

How many times do the developers call it JK3? JK3 was in fact the working title for JA. Why on earth would they give it the working title JK3 if they're going to make a separate JK3?

*waves hands in air* This is the JK3 you're looking for.
 Tyler_Durden
10-14-2003, 6:47 PM
umm.... so will there be a JK:JA radiant?

gtk is more stable but the way it's set up, like you can't select your func_door if it is covered with an overlapping brush, very cumbersome, i had trouble with draw distance as well. It was a lot easier with JO radiant and i used q3map2 to compile so the end result was the same but it was a lot faster to get certain things done.
 WadeV1589
10-14-2003, 6:50 PM
It's doubtful.

And I must admit, I don't quite understand why they made it so brush-based entities cannot be selected through other brushes, that was always such a useful thing, saved having to go all the way there in the view or moving brushes covering it, both totally insane. I can't find a way to make it act like it used to either.

Distance drawing you can either enable distance cull or not, that I have no problems with.
 Greymon
10-14-2003, 6:55 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
umm.... so will there be a JK:JA radiant?

gtk is more stable but the way it's set up, like you can't select your func_door if it is covered with an overlapping brush, very cumbersome, i had trouble with draw distance as well. It was a lot easier with JO radiant and i used q3map2 to compile so the end result was the same but it was a lot faster to get certain things done.

lol. how dare you go back on topic? :D

Have you tried holding down alt while trying to select the door? Alt-Shift and click cycles through brushes that are behind the pointer.
 ydnar
10-14-2003, 11:04 PM
You can change the color of any entity by modifying its entry in the entities.def file in scripts/.

I added the Maya/Max/Lightwave colors after getting sick of manually setting them on every new build/compile of GtkRadiant.

Cheers,
y
 Tyler_Durden
10-14-2003, 11:04 PM
If Raven is gonna release editing tools for MP why wouldn't it contain their version of radiant? Also had anyone figured out how to make a siege map yet? I would think you would need Raven's tools in order to make a working siege map, though i could be wrong......
 WadeV1589
10-14-2003, 11:12 PM
If Raven is gonna release editing tools for MP why wouldn't it contain their version of radiant? Also had anyone figured out how to make a siege map yet? I would think you would need Raven's tools in order to make a working siege map, though i could be wrong......They used a version of GTKRadiant with Q3Map2, I think Raven realised it was stupid creating their own mapping tool when there was a perfectly great open source one out there. Oh almost forgot the evidence:We want to thank Raven for help and testing on Jedi Academy support. They used GtkR in house to produce the game, but there is still a bit of effort to package everything into a public release, and we thank them for helping with that. from http://www.qeradiant.com/) front page.
 shukrallah
10-15-2003, 12:44 AM
I dont know about you guys, but GTK is slow, and the textures look screwed up on my PC... When i get too close, or at a weird angle, it looks like a square with a line going through it. Then, the textures on the brush... just dont look right. JK2 Radiant isnt like this. True, GTK might have nice features, but i like jk2 better.. because it runs better for me. Anyone have this problem? Or know how to fix it? Since it does sort of look like i might be stuck with GTK, i might as well find a solution to this problem...Thanks for any help...

(this is GTK 1.2.13-update 2) i never bothered to get another one, because i didnt like this one. If i have to use GTK to make seige maps, ill make my map in jk2 radiant, then load it in GTK, and let it do the rest.

Heres an idea, why doesnt raven just make a patch jk2 radiant? I mean, they could include all the new features, and we just install jk2 raidant in our JA gamedata tools directory. It saves them the time of remaking an editer...
 Emon
10-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Erm, because GtkRadiant already has those features.

And, dude, if the box says Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and not Jedi Knight III, it's not JK3. You have it backwards. The working title is irrelevant, because it's a working title. The working title is what you call something when you don't know what it's going to be called yet, when you don't have the final, actual and real name.
 lassev
10-15-2003, 5:10 AM
Originally posted by ydnar
You can change the color of any entity by modifying its entry in the entities.def file in scripts/.

Cheers,
y

Thank you, ydnar! You just made my future mapping a lot more pleasant. I was actually looking for this kind of settings file myself (as I thought there must be one), but it seems I didn't look for it hard enough...
 Rumor
10-15-2003, 7:03 AM
what does it matter what people call a game?

many people use the moniker of jko and jka for these two games. they aren't named jedi knight: outcast or jedi knight: academy, now are they?

nobody gives a **** just let people call it what they call it. as long as you know what the **** they are talking about then its fine.

so what if jedi knight 3 actually comes out? when it does, it does. people get confused between many, many, many games, so it won't be any different.
 wedge2211
10-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
I dont know about you guys, but GTK is slow, and the textures look screwed up on my PC... When i get too close, or at a weird angle, it looks like a square with a line going through it. Then, the textures on the brush... just dont look right.

For me, Gtk has always been faster than JK2R, and Gtk crashes less. About the textures...have you tried altering your texture display and texture compression settings? Disabling OpenGL lighting? Maybe you're pushing your video card too much. This could be the reason for your slow performance and textures looking funny.

The reason Raven won't patch JK2Radiant is that doing that would invlove making a whole new editor, essentially. Raven used GtkRadiant to build Jedi Academy maps, they will release this version of GtkRadiant with their editing tools. It would be a whole lot of work for them to make a patch that takes old JK2Radiant and adds all the features that they already developed for Gtk.
 Darth Kaan
10-15-2003, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
For me, Gtk has always been faster than JK2R, and Gtk crashes less. About the textures...have you tried altering your texture display and texture compression settings? Disabling OpenGL lighting? Maybe you're pushing your video card too much. This could be the reason for your slow performance and textures looking funny.

The reason Raven won't patch JK2Radiant is that doing that would invlove making a whole new editor, essentially. Raven used GtkRadiant to build Jedi Academy maps, they will release this version of GtkRadiant with their editing tools. It would be a whole lot of work for them to make a patch that takes old JK2Radiant and adds all the features that they already developed for Gtk.

Hey Wedge, so does that mean the version out now (1.3.12) is the official release version or what?
 shukrallah
10-15-2003, 6:43 PM

Ive been thinking about it, it loads textures and stuff faster, and it starts up faster, but still my textures look corrupted in it. Ill get a screenshot when i get home. Also, I got one version of GTK, then i got another, and put it in the same directory... maybe thats the problem. Ill just get the new one, and try it out... in a different directory.
 Emon
10-15-2003, 9:06 PM
Yeah... That could do it. Uninstall any installations of GtkRadiant, delete and GtkRadiant directories from Program Files, and delete and Radiant directories in GameData (or base or whatever it is).
 shukrallah
10-16-2003, 1:13 AM
Great.. im not to sure what it put in my gamedata/base directories.... i might as well just leave it alone :(
 GothiX
10-16-2003, 8:03 AM
Delete base/maps, base/models and base/scripts, reinstall and you should be fine.
 WadeV1589
10-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Base\shaders too otherwise it's possible to end up with missing textures appearing in GTK.
 GothiX
10-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Woops, can't believe I forgot to mention that one!
Page: 1 of 1