Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tutorial: Replacing Jaden with custom model

Page: 1 of 3
 Prime
09-27-2003, 5:39 PM
Let me say right off the bat that this is definitely a work in progress, and that there is still plenty of stuff I don't know about this. But I know the basics, and maybe together we can fill in all the gaps :) Also note that this is the way I found to do it, but in the end there may be other, easier ways. But for now, this will have to do.

So, what I am discribing here is how to replace Jaden with a model that was not included in the original game. However, the mechanism is the same as using a JA model, we just need to include more information so the game knows what to do. This tutorial does not discribe how to give the player more options in the character creation screen, but how to replace that character model in the game itself.

For this example, lets suppose that I am wanting to use a nice Mace Windu model that I downloaded to replaced Jaden. I will be using WinZip and Notepad for this tutuorial. Here are the steps:

1. Unzip the downloaded .pk3 to get the model that we want to use.
First, create a new, empty directory. I'll call mine "mods". Open the .pk3 using WinZip, and you should see the model and texture files, as well as their directories (should be in the form of models/players/<custom name> where custom name = mace in this example). Select everything and click Extract. Here, point to our created "mod" directory and make sure Use Folder Names is selected. After clicking OK, this should mean that all those files end up in the mods/models/players/mace/ directory. Check to make sure everything is there. Now we have our model ready.

2. Create an .npc file so the game has the necessary information about the character.
This file can be used to tell as much or as little about the character that as we want, apart from a few basic things that are necessary. This is pretty handy, since if you want to go through JA being a Jedi Master or Sith Lord, we can set things up so that everything is set properly when we replace Jaden. First of all, lets look at what a .npc file (which is just a text file) looks like and what we can us it for. The basic format is this:

<character name>
{
<parameters}
}

Looking through the .npc files for the JA characters, here is what the possible parameters and settings are. This is not an exaustive list, but these are the most useful. Look at the ones in assets1.pk3 for more options. Note that some parameters are only useful for computer controlled characters. I'll put the possible settings in ( ). Others can correct any mistakes.

playerModel directory in models/players/where the model is (e.g. mace).
saber the saber hilt the character should use (kyle, reborn, reborn_new, desann, jedi, luke, single_1-9, dual_1-?, saberstar2, sabertrident, saberbroad, shadowtrooper, tavion)
saber2 same as above, presumably for those who use two sabers.
sabercolor saber blade colour (red, blue, green, purple, yellow)
rank not sure what this really does. Something to do with followers? (lt, commander, captain, ?)
health character's health points (1-?)
weapon the character's weapon. This can be set multiple times (WP_NONE, WP_SABER, WP_BRYAR_PISTOL, WP_BLASTER, WP_BLASTER_PISTOL, WP_BLASTER_RIFLE, WP_MELEE, WP_DISRUPTOR, WP_ROCKET_LAUNCHER, WP_BOWCASTER, WP_REPEATER, WP_THERMAL, WP_BOT_LASER, WP_NOGHRI_STICK, WP_CONCUSSION, WP_FLECHETTE, WP_TUSKEN_STAFF, WP_TUSKEN_RIFLE)
saberStyle The available saber style for the character. This can be set more than once to give multiple styles (1=blue, 2=yellow, 3=red, 5=Tavion, 4=Desann, 6=dual, 7=staff)
surfOn list of model surfaces to turn on in "<list>" format
surfOff list of model surfaces to turn on in "<list>" format
scale percentage scale of the character (e.g. 75=75% the size of Jaden, 110=10% bigger than Jaden)
yawSpeed How quickly they can turn
walkSpeed How fast they walk
runSpeed How fast they run
FP_HEAL Force Heal level (0-3)
FP_LEVITATION ? (0-3)
FP_SPEED Force Speed level (0-3)
FP_PUSH Force Push level (0-3)
FP_PULL Force Pull level (0-3)
FP_TELEPATHY Force ? level (0-3)
FP_GRIP Force Grip level (0-3)
FP_LIGHTNING Force Lightning level (0-3)
FP_SABERTHROW Force Saberthrow level (0-3)
FP_RAGE Force Rage level (0-3)
FP_PROTECT Force Protect level (0-3)
FP_ABSORB Force Absorb level (0-3)
FP_DRAIN Force Drain level (0-3)
FP_SEE Force See level (0-3)
FP_SABER_DEFENSE Force Saber Offense level (0-3)
FP_SABER_OFFENSE Force Saber Defense level (0-3)
forcePowerMax maximum Force power (default = 100)
playerTeam whose team the character is on (TEAM_PLAYER, TEAM_ENEMY, TEAM_NEUTRAL, TEAM_FREE)
enemyTeam who the character's enemies are (TEAM_PLAYER, TEAM_ENEMY, TEAM_NEUTRAL, TEAM_FREE))
class default behavior? (CLASS_JAWA, CLASS_KYLE, etc.)
snd character's dialog sounds directory
sndcombat character's combat sounds directory
sndjedi character's jedi sounds directory
dismemberProbHead probability of head being dismembered ( from 0 (never) to 100 (always) )
dismemberProbArms probability of arms being dismembered ( from 0 (never) to 100 (always) )
dismemberProbHands probability of hands being dismembered ( from 0 (never) to 100 (always) )
dismemberProbLegs probability of legs being dismembered ( from 0 (never) to 100 (always) )
dismemberProbWaist probability of waist being dismembered ( from 0 (never) to 100 (always) )

Okay, thats most of them. The parameters that you don't set will be left at whatever the values where before switching models. So if we just want the model but everything else left the same, we might have a .npc file that looks like:

MaceWindu
{
playerModel mace
class CLASS_PLAYER
}

We can set as little or as much as we want for the character. Now that we have an idea what to put in the file, create a "ext_data/npcs/" directory in "mods". In that directory, create an mace.npc file, and in it put what I explained above, depending on what you want. For example:

MaceWindu
{
playerModel mace
saber kyle
weapon WP_SABER
saberStyle 1
saberStyle 3
saberStyle 2
FP_HEAL 3
FP_LEVITATION 3
FP_SPEED 3
FP_PUSH 3
FP_PULL 3
FP_TELEPATHY 3
FP_GRIP 0
FP_LIGHTNING 0
FP_SABERTHROW 3
FP_RAGE 0
FP_PROTECT 3
FP_ABSORB 3
FP_DRAIN 0
FP_SEE 3
FP_SABER_DEFENSE 3
FP_SABER_OFFENSE 3
forcePowerMax 200
rank captain
reactions 3
aim 3
move 3
aggression 3
evasion 5
intelligence 3
playerTeam TEAM_PLAYER
enemyTeam TEAM_ENEMY
class CLASS_LUKE
yawSpeed 140
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
// race human
snd kyle
sndcombat kyle
sndjedi kyle
health 200
dismemberProbHead 0
dismemberProbArms 0
dismemberProbLegs 0
dismemberProbHands 0
dismemberProbWaist 0
}

3. Bundle everything up into a .pk3 file.
Here is where we get everything ready so that the game can use the model. Note that we do not alter the assets1.pk3 file at all! Doing that would prevent us from playing MP on pure survers, because the game would think we are trying to cheat! Create a new empty .zip file (you can call it what you want. e.g. mace.zip). Click add and go into the "mods" directory. Under "Folders" click Recursive Folders. This includes the directory information the game will need. Then select "models" (without going into that directory), and click Add with Wildcards. This will put all the necessary files into the .zip file. To confirm, make sure the model and texture files are there, with "models/players/mace/" listed under path. Also make sure that the mace.npc file is there with "ext_data/npcs/" as the path. Finally, change the extention of our .zip file to .pk3. Now we should have mace.pk3.

4. Loading the .pk3 file into JA
JA is great in this respect because all we have to add our new model is place the .pk3 file into the "GameData/base/" directory. JA will load all the .pk3 files in alphabetical order, replacing any duplicates with the latest copy. So if you wanted to replace the Luke model, you could create a .pk3 with a new model and put it in the base directory, and that will replace the game's Luke. In this case there is no other Mace, so it just loads it in.

5. Select the model in the game
To select the model we will be using the playermodel console command. So once the game starts and you are at the beginning of a mission, open the console by pressing shift ~. Then at the prompt type:

playermodel <npc entry name>
so in our case:
playermodel MaceWindu

That should change Jaden to the new model, as well as change any parameters that we have set in the .npc file, such as saber stanced.

6. Automating the model change a little bit
IIRC, once you change the model and save the game, using that saved game will load the new model automatically. But if you don't like typing the playermodel command every time, we can speed it up a little bit. In the JA base directory, create a text file called autoexec.cfg. In that put a line that says:

bind <some key> "playermodel MaceWindu"

Then when you are in the game, you can just press the specified key without going into the console and the new model should load.

Whew. Well I hope that helps people a bit. I view this as a work in progress, so I welcome any feedback or questions. If anything isn't clear I will try and expand on it. If you have more information about certain things, please post it. I'm still learning too! :D
 Prime
09-27-2003, 5:49 PM
Note that you should also be able to use this new model as an NPC by typing the npc spawn <npcname> command.
 Londo Mollari
09-27-2003, 5:54 PM
Thank You Prime!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Scoundrel
09-27-2003, 6:04 PM
Thank you, I really preciate this.
 Scoundrel
09-27-2003, 6:25 PM
Ok, I allready faced problems:D

I have New NPCs.pk3 in my base folder. Pk3 includes ex_data folder, which includes npcs folder which includes obi-wan.npc and ct_fisto.npc. And there is of course models folder which includes players folder. And in players folder there is ct_fisto folder and obi-wan folder, those include meshes. THat should be all, right?

I start game and try to change playermodel, and supri, suprise. Game can not found model. What is wrong?
 Prime
09-27-2003, 7:02 PM
Originally posted by Scoundrel
Ok, I allready faced problems:D

I have New NPCs.pk3 in my base folder. Pk3 includes ex_data folder, which includes npcs folder which includes obi-wan.npc and ct_fisto.npc. And there is of course models folder which includes players folder. And in players folder there is ct_fisto folder and obi-wan folder, those include meshes. THat should be all, right? That sounds right so far.

I start game and try to change playermodel, and supri, suprise. Game can not found model. What is wrong? Okay, make sure that the playerModel entry in each .npc file points to the model's directory properly. Also remember that the playermodel command needs the npc entry name, not the model name. Confirm as well that you have a model_default.skin file in each model directory. Are you doing this? If so, post your .npc file and I have a look at it. We'll figure it out :)
 Scoundrel
09-27-2003, 7:07 PM
I figured out whats wrong myself. Kit Fisto is actually working, I just typed his name wrong:D

But Obi-Wan is still not working.

Fisto is JK2 model which is (what is right word?) imported (?) to JK3 model, but Obi-Wan is original JK2 model. Does these have to be JK3 models, or am I just doing everyting wrong?

And btw, ct_fisto model wasnt in the npcs.pk3, it was in base folder in its own pk3. I just noticed. It works like charm.

*edit* Oh, does it matter, if npc name and model name are same?
 Londo Mollari
09-27-2003, 7:18 PM
Hey prime I made some discoveries back in my JA modding thread, but the playermodel keeps reverting back at the start of each new level
 Sith_Chick
09-27-2003, 7:34 PM
I am trying to play SP using the Tavion_new model... but how can I get 'bad girl' to show up in the cutscenes? :amidala:
 Prime
09-27-2003, 8:10 PM
I figured out whats wrong myself. Kit Fisto is actually working, I just typed his name wrong:D Excellent! That's one down :)

Fisto is JK2 model which is (what is right word?) imported (?) to JK3 model, but Obi-Wan is original JK2 model. Does these have to be JK3 models, or am I just doing everyting wrong? As far as I know, JO models should work just as well as JA models. The game is suppost to convert the JO models on the fly. So I don't think this is a problem.

*edit* Oh, does it matter, if npc name and model name are same? I don't think it should. Are you still getting the "not found" error? Try loading the model in MP as well. If it works there, then at least we know the model isn't faulty.

Originally posted by Londo Mollari
Hey prime I made some discoveries back in my JA modding thread, but the playermodel keeps reverting back at the start of each new level

Originally posted by Sith_Chick
I am trying to play SP using the Tavion_new model... but how can I get 'bad girl' to show up in the cutscenes? I'm not sure about these two problems yet. I'll have to play around a little more. Sorry :(

Does anyone know ways around these problems?
 Prime
09-27-2003, 8:14 PM
As Londo Mollari has discovered, if you make the title of your NPC entry in the .npc file Player, this should make it show up in cutscenes. But it still seems to revert back to the old model each time a level loads.
 Scoundrel
09-27-2003, 8:34 PM
Argh.. This gets worse all the time.

First, I got one more working, Qui-gon. Then, I got Mace Windu working, but hes robe is blank. Just white. And I cant get Yoda or Obi-Wan working. And now, Kit-Fisto is not working. And I should get 19 of these working. This is nightmare.

Prime, what models have you used in your npcs?
 Tesla
09-27-2003, 9:14 PM
How do i create a new npc file ?
Great tutorial, im going to try and add some npcs myself. ;)
 Prime
09-28-2003, 3:21 AM
Originally posted by Tesla
How do i create a new npc file ?
Great tutorial, im going to try and add some npcs myself. ;) An .npc file is just a text file. You can create an empty text file, and then just change the extention to .npc. It's as simple as that :)

Then, I got Mace Windu working, but hes robe is blank. Just white. The reason why his robe is blank is because the surfaces are not turned off, but there is no texture file specified to cover it. If you want to have the robe, you can specify the texture, or if you don't you can turn off the robe surface all together. This brings up the subject of turning on and off surfaces. Let's look at the two cases:

1. Turning off surfaces
Let's look at the Mace case. I assume you are using the Mace model from JO. OK, the game looks for the model_default.skin in the directory specified in the .npc file. In that .skin file is the location of all the textures to be used by the model. You will also see a .surf file. This file was used in JO MP to turn surfaces on and off (don't know if they are still used by JA). If you look in the model_default.surf for mace, you will see...

surfOff "robe torso_robe"

This told JO that in MP for the Mace model without the robe it had to turn off the robe and torso_robe surfaces. If you look in the .skin file, you won't see and entry for these two surfaces. In JA, it doesn't know that the surfaces should be turned off, so we have to tell it. To do this, we add the following to the end of the model_default.skin file:

robe,*off
torso_robe,*off

These correspond to the .surf file, so now JA knows not to draw these surfaces. If you repackage everything up and load it into JA, the white robe surfaces should be gone.

2. Turning surfaces on
Really, JA just needs to know what to cover the surfaces with. In the Mace case, we need to tell JA what texture to cover the robe surface with. Looking in the model_robe.skin file we can see that the two surfaces we turned off (robe and torso_robe) have entries. So we can add these two entries into our model_default.skin. This should set the robe up nicely.

Note: In the Mace case, you will see in the model_robe.surf file that there are three surfaces turned off:

surfOff "l_arm r_arm torso"

So we need to indicate this for our robed version of Mace. So in the model_default.skin file, we need to alter the entries for the above surfaces to:

l_arm,*off
r_arm,*off
torso,*off

This should make it so Mace has his robe and it is all textured properly. Hopefully this all makes sense. :)

And I cant get Yoda or Obi-Wan working. And now, Kit-Fisto is not working. What is the problem with these? Is it the "not found" problem? Or is it texture problems?
 Tesla
09-28-2003, 3:26 AM
An .npc file is just a text file. You can create an empty text file, and then just change the extention to .npc. It's as simple as that

Thank You, Thank You, your my savior :D

*goes of to create new .npc file :D *
 Tyler_Durden
09-28-2003, 3:28 AM
Would there be a way to just have the different parts of the body such as head, torso and legs be selectable from the load screen? This way you can just do it from the start and not have to input it in the console. Someone got more hilts at the select screen into the game, so it might work for the player model as well.....
 Darth Kaan
09-28-2003, 3:36 AM
You can solve the model loading problem by attaching a target_scriptrunner to your info_player_start, so each time the level loads it runs your script which loads your custom npc instead of Jaden. You can even set what type of saber, saber blade color/s what weapons and force powers/levels you want them to have.

The only problem I have not figured out how to fix yet, is if you die during the level and reload from a checkpoint or start from a quick save, the custom npc model re-loads but the skin does not...
 Tesla
09-28-2003, 3:47 AM
Ok, i've got all the files together, bunged them into a zip, how do i change the extension to a .pk3 ?

Sorry for all these questions, i never really got into modding and adding things for JO. :(
 Prime
09-28-2003, 4:24 AM
Ok, i've got all the files together, bunged them into a zip, how do i change the extension to a .pk3 ?

Sorry for all these questions, i never really got into modding and adding things for JO. :( You do it just like you did for the .npc file. Just change the extension manually :)

Originally posted by Darth Kaan
You can solve the model loading problem by attaching a target_scriptrunner to your info_player_start, so each time the level loads it runs your script which loads your custom npc instead of Jaden. You can even set what type of saber, saber blade color/s what weapons and force powers/levels you want them to have.
Can you discribe how to do that?

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Would there be a way to just have the different parts of the body such as head, torso and legs be selectable from the load screen? This way you can just do it from the start and not have to input it in the console. Someone got more hilts at the select screen into the game, so it might work for the player model as well..... I'm not sure how to do that yet :(
 Akin
09-28-2003, 4:31 AM
Thank you so mutch for posting this Prime!
I've been looking for a way to play with my favourite sw characters for a long time now..Finaly someone explained how to do it.

Tnx!
 Scoundrel
09-28-2003, 7:26 AM
This is strange, now Obi-Wan is working, Qui-Gon is working, Mace is working (not robe, I'll fix that right away), Kit Fisto is not working (which is strange, I havent modified his file since it was working), Yoda is not working, cannot found NPC called yoda.

I have tried everything to get Fisto working. Here is hes NPC:

kit-fisto
{
playerModel ct_fisto
saber jedi
saberColor green
weapon WP_SABER
saberStyle 1
saberStyle 2
saberStyle 3
FP_HEAL 2
FP_LEVITATION 3
FP_SPEED 3
FP_PUSH 3
FP_PULL 2
FP_TELEPATHY 2
FP_GRIP 0
FP_LIGHTNING 0
FP_RAGE 0
FP_PROTECT 2
FP_ABSORB 2
FP_DRAIN 0
FP_SEE 2
FP_SABERTHROW 3
FP_SABER_DEFENSE 3
FP_SABER_OFFENSE 3
rank commander
reactions 5
aim 5
move 5
aggression 5
evasion 5
intelligence 5
playerTeam TEAM_PLAYER
enemyTeam TEAM_ENEMY
class CLASS_JEDI
yawSpeed 140
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd obi-wan
sndcombat ct_fisto
sndjedi ct_fisto
health 400
dismemberProbHead 0
dismemberProbArms 5
dismemberProbLegs 0
dismemberProbHands 10
dismemberProbWaist 0
}

It worked before, but now it cannot find kit-fisto npc.

I'll add rest of NPCs today, Prime, I'll let you know if (when:D ) I face more problems.
 Scoundrel
09-28-2003, 7:45 AM
Problems faced:D

I tried to make Windus robe working, but it is just more blank than usually. Now torso and hands are blank too.

Prime, could you send me working Mace Windu? (Model and NPC)
You did one, right?

Now, I'm trying to get Yarael Poof working.
 Zod
09-28-2003, 7:49 AM
I'm just having trouble with Mace an his robe ;\
 Scoundrel
09-28-2003, 9:20 AM
Again getting worse. I got many of these working. Quigon, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu (With partly blank), Yarael Poof, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto and Coleman Trebor. But then I tried to add Eeth Koth, and everything stopped working. I deleted Eeth Koth, and then everyone started working again, but now, nothing is working. Goddamnit!

Erh.. Hate to ask this, but... Could someone do me big favor? I want pretty many NPCs in to this game. They dont have to be too personalized, just give them right sabercolor and put them reactions and other stuff to 5. If someone could do this, let me know and I'll give you list of models/skins. And if you dont have some of them, I'll give you links to download sites.
(There are 19 of them)

I just cant do this myself, everything gets wrong all the time.

Thanks.
 Akin
09-28-2003, 11:43 AM
I can't get that stupid robe to work with mace either :p
So i was wondering if you could be si kind and explain to me how to get the unrobed version to work.(He looks cooler ingame with out the robe anyways :) )
 Tesla
09-28-2003, 2:16 PM
Well i have got the excellent Darth Maul model by Cheshire working and he's one of my allys :D
Mace Windu works, just the cape needs fixing. :)

I've tried the Indiana Jones model by Major Clod but no success yet. :(

Going to to try Kit Fisto, Qui Gon and Obi Wan soon. ;)
 Scoundrel
09-28-2003, 3:01 PM
Good news, I got almost everything working. Only 5 of them still not working. Three skins that I made myself, Yaddle 1.1, Eeth Koth 1.1, Even Piell 1.1 (Not released yet) and Mace Windu (still that robe) and Barris Offee.

Yaddle is totally blank.
Eeth Koth is totally blank.
Even Piell is totally blank.
Mace Windus robe is blank.
Barris Offees model cannot be found, she looks like stormtrooper.

I dont need someone to create all those NPCs anymore, I somehow managed to get these all working. (excep those 5)

Prime, could you check these 5? I can send them to you, just give me your email adress :)
 Prime
09-28-2003, 4:35 PM
Remeber that with Mace Windu, if you are going to turn the robe off than there are certain surface you have to turn off. If you want the robe on, there are other surfaces you have to turn off as well. This is because of the way the model was built. I created two directories for each version and put all the files in each (samuel_l for unrobed and mace_robe for robed). So here is the model_default.skin and .npc files for a robed and unrobed Mace:

windu.npc
Mace
{
playerModel samuel_l
weapon WP_SABER
saberStyle 1
saberStyle 3
saberStyle 2
FP_SABER_DEFENSE 3
FP_SABER_OFFENSE 3
}

MaceRobed
{
playerModel mace_robe
weapon WP_SABER
saberStyle 1
saberStyle 3
saberStyle 2
FP_SABER_DEFENSE 3
FP_SABER_OFFENSE 3
}

model_default.skin for unrobed Mace
head,models/players/samuel_l/head.tga
head_ears,models/players/samuel_l/head.tga
torso,models/players/samuel_l/torso.jpg
r_arm,models/players/samuel_l/torso.jpg
l_arm,models/players/samuel_l/torso.jpg
r_hand,models/players/samuel_l/hands.jpg
l_hand,models/players/samuel_l/hands.jpg
l_leg,models/players/samuel_l/legs.jpg
r_leg,models/players/samuel_l/legs.jpg
hips,models/players/samuel_l/hips.jpg
hips_belt,models/players/samuel_l/hips_belt.jpg
head_eyes_mouth,models/players/samuel_l/mouth.tga
torso_cap_head_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
head_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
torso_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
hips_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
r_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
l_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
r_hand_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
l_hand_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
r_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
torso_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
l_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
torso_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
hips_cap_l_leg_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
hips_cap_r_leg_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
robe,*off
torso_robe,*off

model_default.skin for robed Mace
head,models/players/mace_robe/head.tga
head_ears,models/players/mace_robe/head.tga
torso_robe,models/players/mace_robe/torso.jpg
r_arm,*off
l_arm,*off
r_hand,models/players/mace_robe/hands.jpg
l_hand,models/players/mace_robe/hands.jpg
l_leg,models/players/mace_robe/legs.jpg
r_leg,models/players/mace_robe/legs.jpg
hips,models/players/mace_robe/hips.jpg
hips_belt,models/players/mace_robe/hips_belt.jpg
head_eyes_mouth,models/players/mace_robe/mouth.tga
robe,models/players/mace_robe/robe.jpg
torso_cap_head_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
head_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
torso_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
hips_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
r_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
l_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
r_hand_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
l_hand_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
r_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
torso_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
l_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
torso_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
hips_cap_l_leg_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
hips_cap_r_leg_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.jpg
torso,*off

That's what I have for Mace, and it seems to work. So far I've tried Mace and Jinn, and they both seem fine. So it is possible :)

If the playermodel command cannot find the NPC, the only things I know of is that either you are using the incorrect NPC name as specified in the .npc file, or the playermodel parameter is incorrect.

If textures and surfaces are missing, then likely you have incorrect paths in the model_default.skin file, or you don't have the right surfaces turned on or off.
 Scoundrel
09-29-2003, 3:07 PM
Thanks Prime. :) I got Mace working. And many others. But there is still three. They are totally blank. I have checked everything many times, it should be working. These three are Even Piell, Yaddle and Eeth Koth. I dont understand.. Any ideas? Prime? Someone?
 Prime
09-29-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm not familiar with those models, so I'm not sure :(
 caseyjones
09-30-2003, 2:41 AM
how do you change the extensions of files? all it does for me is rename the text file to jango.npc

and what do you mean by this

create a "ext_data/npcs/" directory in "mods".

how do you make a empty zip file and do the add thing.

I'm sorry I have so many questions but I would greatly appreciate your assistance.
 Tesla
09-30-2003, 2:58 AM
When saving your new NPC file, select all files as your file type and then put jango.npc and save, it should now be a .npc file. :)

In your mods directory create a file called ext_data then inside that create a new folder called npcs and place your new .npc file in there. :)

In winzip, click new and select the file type as all files and then create a jango.pk3 and add the files. :)
 Scoundrel
09-30-2003, 5:31 AM
Yaddle and Even Piell are using Yoda model, so it should be working. And Eeth Koth uses Darth Maul mesh.
 frans
09-30-2003, 8:41 AM
I have to thank you too Prime, its been a blast to play SP as Darth Sidious.

But has anyone else experianced this peculiarity with their custom models?

During the cutsceens, my darth sidious model is holding Kyle's saber hilt, and when its time to ignite the blade, nothing happens.

Now in my setup, I made 2 .npc files.

One is called "player.npc"
where the player model is darth_sidious.

The other is called "darth sidious.npc"
where the player model is also darth_sidious.

Did I forget something so that saber hilts play correctly in the cutsceens?
 Prime
09-30-2003, 2:45 PM
In your mods directory create a file called ext_data... Just a typo, but you need to create a directory called ext_data, not a file :)

Yaddle and Even Piell are using Yoda model, so it should be working. And Eeth Koth uses Darth Maul mesh. Oh, OK. I'll have a look at these when I get the chance...

Originally posted by frans
During the cutsceens, my darth sidious model is holding Kyle's saber hilt, and when its time to ignite the blade, nothing happens.

Now in my setup, I made 2 .npc files.

One is called "player.npc" where the player model is darth_sidious.

The other is called "darth sidious.npc" where the player model is also darth_sidious.

Did I forget something so that saber hilts play correctly in the cutsceens? I haven't seen this problem yet because I really haven't played around to much with this stuff (too busy finishing the game :) ). Do you have the parameter to specify the saber hilt in the .npc file? Also, I don't know if having a space in the .npc filename causes problems or not. IIRC I haven't seen names with a space, so you might want to change the name to just sidious.npc or something. It might not matter though...
 Scoundrel
09-30-2003, 3:28 PM
Oh, you dont have to do that Prime, I finally figured out whats wrong.

There were missing one line in their NPC files.
CustomSkin (skin name)

That is way to make NPCs work if there is multiple skins in model. I used that too in Battledroids and Clonetroopers.
 Prime
09-30-2003, 5:23 PM
I'm glad you figured it out :)
 caseyjones
09-30-2003, 8:27 PM
I have tried and tried but I can't get this to work I would greatly appreciate it if someone would make jango, dash rendar, jarjar, darth maul, anakin, and darth vader spawnable in jedi academy. These are the ones I was trying to do myself. The models can be found at Jk2files.com my email is thrasher641004@hotmail.com if anyone makes them will you please send them here.

if you need exact links to the models just e-mail me and I'll find them for you.
 Tesla
09-30-2003, 9:20 PM
Prime, i have got the normal Kit Fisto working in game, but im having difficulties in getting the Sith skin to work as a seperate npc, the directory name i want to use is dark_fisto, can you help me by telling me what files i should re-name and what not ??
 Tesla
10-01-2003, 5:38 PM
Can we use the model_red.skin instead of the default ones ?
If so how do we tell it to load a different skin ?
 caseyjones
10-01-2003, 6:46 PM
Someone please help me. If anyone has already made any of the pk3 files that I requested please e-mail them to me at same address as my last post.

If anyone has a very detailed, step by step tutorial on how to do this I would appreciate you sending it to me via E-mail so I can try and figure this stuff out.
 MasterKoon237
10-01-2003, 10:14 PM
I have gotten the entire thing except i do not understand how to change it from .zip to .pk3?
 Zod
10-01-2003, 10:39 PM
just rename the .zip to .pk3
It's just like renaming any other file.
 MasterKoon237
10-01-2003, 10:43 PM
thanks guess i thought would be to easy!:p
 caseyjones
10-01-2003, 10:53 PM
if you got it then please tell me what you did step by step because when i do it it doesn't work.
 MasterKoon237
10-01-2003, 11:19 PM
I have ran in to some trouble i can not get the file conversion to work. I do not know exactly where i messed up i tried to follow the example tutorial but i didn't understand all of it. I could use some help if anyone has some time.
 Tesla
10-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Ok, in WinZip click new then make sure the file type is All Files, then type something like maul.pk3 then add the files that way. :)

It's easier than converting the file type. ;)
 caseyjones
10-02-2003, 1:32 AM
This is where I get stuck..

playerModel directory in models/players/where the model is (e.g. mace).

Is this what i put for the directory?

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\models\models\players\vader

instead of mods i called the folder models.
 Tesla
10-02-2003, 2:18 AM
Yep, that should be fine. :)

Then make a ext_data directory in that, then make a npcs directory in the ext_data directory then, follow the winzip instructions above and use the Add With Wildcards in winzip. :)
 Prime
10-02-2003, 2:25 AM
Can we use the model_red.skin instead of the default ones ?
If so how do we tell it to load a different skin ? Yes you can do this by using the customSkin parameter. Look in the reborn .npc files for examples. Basically, if you want to use the model_red.skin file, you would have in the NPC entry:

customSkin red

You can use this to have different NPCs with the same model but different skins. Note that the model_red.skin (or whatever) has to be in the directory specified by the playermodel parameter.
Page: 1 of 3