Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Im Back

Page: 1 of 1
 chrustec
09-20-2003, 3:16 AM
Hey Guys,

Just thought Id post this as I have been MIA for some time now in the forums. I have been unable to access the DF Mod page and anything attached the the jediknightii.net domain for a while now thanks to my brilliant ISP TPG. <jest> hehe anywho now that I can access the forums once again I will be posting some shots of the talay scene in the next few weeks - As that I have been extremly busy with school (i study game development for those who dont know - and our game has been taking up alot of my time as I am one of the main level designers) So look forward to seeing some of my work here soon. Also I wanted to know something so i'll put it in a poll. :D
 Fracman
09-20-2003, 7:45 AM
I had voted "both" if there was an option.

On one hand, using game-engine rendered cutscenes, you don't need to store the according and mostly huge - or bad compressed - video files.
But on the other hand, you can't really do everything with them.
The cutscenes mostly play in space (you see the crow flying around) or at places not all to be seen in the actual DF levels.
We dont have the manpower nor the possibilities to make real actor cutscenes like JK had (which i found really nice btw).
So we may do a mix of both.
 reaper1576
09-20-2003, 9:27 AM
both would work best some stuff works better pre rendered and in game
 Algardex
09-20-2003, 5:54 PM
both, if possible
 RaptorAlien
09-20-2003, 8:54 PM
By these you mean:

Pre-Rendered - as in the shot of Doomgiver leaving the bay
In Game models - as in most cutscenes featuring charas and such

...right?

If so, then go with both. Use pre-rendered for shots of space and big things, as in JO, and game models for charcter interaction, again as in JO.

That is what you mean though, right...?
 Katarn07
09-20-2003, 10:21 PM
If this were LEC making it, I'd say everything prerendered, as long as liop sync were good. Take XWA for example. I'd love to see the people looking like that over game's models if the lips moved with their words :rolleyes:

But that ain't gonna happen. We know it'll be prerendered for ships and stuff as we saw in the demo, and models when characters are up and about.

Welcome back, by the way. The newest screens of Talay are mouth watering. Good work you and those texture artists ;)
 Salv
09-21-2003, 1:33 AM
Its cool that you made this thread here, but it can also belong in the private forums Chrustec.
 TK-8252
09-23-2003, 10:46 PM
I'd have voted both too. The more screens the better. But it's always nice to see the model in action in-game.
 recombinant
09-29-2003, 9:27 PM
I tend to think the game engine cutscenes look a little cheesy, and could really be done more effectively with an app like 3DSMax, but that's just my opinion.

I'd recommend creating them in the tool you think will be the most appealing output.

:D
 RaptorAlien
09-29-2003, 11:35 PM
I think they look a bit cheesy to, but I think it's wors to see these perfect pre-rendered Shrek quality photo realistic model, then play as some crappy model (no offence Hap, Corto, Blade, ect.. :) you know what I mean). And the in-game models make it feel more like it's you doing the action...
 chrustec
10-12-2003, 9:28 AM
Well at the moment all Space scenes (ships) will be prerendered in MAX and all Character scenes will be done in game (or will use in game chars through max. And as far as other stuff goes Ive spent this weekend and finished the final version of the opening scene

Here is a render:

http://203.219.227.22/GoldOpening.jpg)

Enjoy
 Neverhoodian
10-12-2003, 5:29 PM
:drop2: WHOA! Sweet! I like it!
Good to hear you're taking Raven's approach, using in-game cutscenes except for space scenes. If every cutscene was prerendered it would take way too much time to do, probably.

btw, in the original prerendered cutscene in the mod's demo, did you guys use the planet earth? One bit of land looked suspiciously like Baja California and Mexico.;)

I can see it now:

Kyle: "Jan, stay with the ship, I gotta get some tequila."
 chrustec
10-13-2003, 7:08 AM
Yes as a mater of fact I did use an Earth BMP for the planet texture due to time contraints the new one is original:)
Page: 1 of 1