Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Official Crashing/Freezing thread - post your specs+error msg

Page: 1 of 1
 DeliriumenD
09-18-2003, 4:53 PM
Just curious is anyone else getting a problem with the game randomly locking up in Single Player mode? I'll be playing along just fine and dandy, then a sound bite will start skipping, and then the entire thign just locks up and the only way to break out of it is to cut the power to the system and start back up again.

My system isn't great, but it more than matches/meets all the recommended settings (except RAM, which only matches the recommended) and I had absolutely no problems with JO or any other Quake 3 engine game.

I've tried turning off Dynamic Lights and Glow (with the other goodies) and I'm even running on slightly modified "fast" settings (instead of 6x4 it's 8x6 and I put the texture and other detail settings to medium)

Without those goodies off (if I put it on high, which my comp should be able to handle) the cutscenes skip a bit (keep playing, but it's annoying listening to the sound).

Just curious if anyone else had these problems and knew a way to fix it. As other than that, i'm having a total blast with this game.
 AgentBif
09-18-2003, 5:04 PM
I've had the game lockup on load a couple times, but not during play. I've played about 10-12 missions so far.

bif
 skyvader20
09-18-2003, 7:02 PM
Has anyone encountered a lockup at the menu screen? Im just curious because I haven't even gotten into the game and as soon as the game gets to the main menu, it locks up. my system specs are:

AMD Athalon 600mhz
Windows 98SE (patched-SP4)
384 mb PC-100 ram
40 gig WD harddrive
ATI Radeon 7000 (w/ newest drivers)

Can anyone help me?
 skyvader20
09-18-2003, 7:23 PM
At least you guys got to play. My game locks up at the main menu
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
09-18-2003, 7:32 PM
Haven't heard of this one, but I'd report it to LucasArts Tech Support right away. I imagine it's some sort of compatibility/driver/hardware issue and Raven doesn't do that kind of testing ourselves, QA does...
 Andy867
09-18-2003, 9:43 PM
Originally posted by DeliriumenD
Just curious is anyone else getting a problem with the game randomly locking up in Single Player mode? I'll be playing along just fine and dandy, then a sound bite will start skipping, and then the entire thign just locks up and the only way to break out of it is to cut the power to the system and start back up again.

My system isn't great, but it more than matches/meets all the recommended settings (except RAM, which only matches the recommended) and I had absolutely no problems with JO or any other Quake 3 engine game.

I've tried turning off Dynamic Lights and Glow (with the other goodies) and I'm even running on slightly modified "fast" settings (instead of 6x4 it's 8x6 and I put the texture and other detail settings to medium)

Without those goodies off (if I put it on high, which my comp should be able to handle) the cutscenes skip a bit (keep playing, but it's annoying listening to the sound).

Just curious if anyone else had these problems and knew a way to fix it. As other than that, i'm having a total blast with this game.

Have you tried turning Force Feedback off under the control options for the mouse/other
 Wes Janson
09-18-2003, 9:53 PM
Be sure your video card and/or CPU isn't overheating. I had a similar problem with any graphic intensive game. I took measures to ensure proper cooling, and I haven't had a freezing problem since.

Don't roll your eyes and think you're imune to heat. In all my experiences, heat is the second highest cause of game freezes -- first cause of course is system requirement deprevation.
 Stripes
09-18-2003, 10:55 PM
I ran into the same thing, it seems like a memory leak or something because I go back to the save game and can get through fine
 cayqel
09-18-2003, 11:05 PM
I had it happen a handful of times during the demo. Haven't had it happen during the full game, though I'm only 7 missions in.

k
 cheapherk
09-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Last night everything was fine. Tonight everytime I play (SP or MP) either everything freezes within the first few minutes, or the game crashes to the desktop, and on a few occasions my computer has restarted.

Just as a reference, I have not had a problem with any other game, nor have I had any other problems- just when I run JA.

I haven't read much about anyone having technical difficulties.

Here are my computer specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev.2

Memory: 1Gig MB of Corsair XMS 3200 DDR 400

Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (ATI Radeon)

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD400BB 40.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS

Additional Hard Drives: Western Digital WD400BB 40 Gig 7200 rpm

Monitor: KDS X-Flat 19" (XF-9e)

DVD Manufacturer & Model: TDK indi (420n) DVD+R/RW

CDR/CDRW Manufacturer & Model: Yamaha CDR- F1

Storage Interface: IDE

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Audigy2

Internet Connection: Comcast Cable

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP1

Other Components: CoolerMaster Aero 7 Heatsink/Fan

Thermaltake Highest Xaser II 6000 Plus Chassis

Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers

Logitech MX700 Mouse

Logitech Cordeless Rumblepad

Hercules Scan@Home 48-bit Scanner

Epson Stylus Photo 825 Printer
 Prime
09-19-2003, 12:33 AM
I have found that JA is incredably stable. All the issues I had with JO are gone.
 Valo
09-19-2003, 1:03 AM
i havent had problems like that. if your computer is randomly restarting it might be more serious things like a virus or worm. I would scan your system and see if your computer is infected.
 DeliriumenD
09-19-2003, 1:47 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I actually didn't think of Force Feedback, so I'll try that first, and I'll try a bit more settings play arounds before I go and write to Lucas Tech Support.

Heat isn't the issue (though it has been an issue for me before) I have a good cooling system, and I can play other, graphic intensive games fine. Though I'll also look into it just in case.
 StormHammer
09-19-2003, 1:58 AM
I've had this problem too. It's usually preceded by a 'white-out' when reloading a saved game (after I've been playing for a while and reloading a few times), then if you try and reload after that, it will crash with an error that basically says it's out of memory. So yes...I think there is an issue around memory. Perhaps it's not fully cleaning out the previous part of the game, or something.
 Jhough1
09-19-2003, 2:01 AM
ive got the same problem, havent been able to fix it, tried updating all my drivers, but no help, It might be a cooling problem, but...i don't think so, any help would be awesome
 skyvader20
09-19-2003, 2:56 AM
Bumping for help.
 Wes Janson
09-19-2003, 3:13 AM
Originally posted by DeliriumenD
Heat isn't the issue (though it has been an issue for me before) I have a good cooling system, and I can play other, graphic intensive games fine. Though I'll also look into it just in case.

Heh, that's exactly what I thought, too.

I can run Star Wars Galaxy and Unreal 2 without any problems at all. For hours, if I choose. But once I load up JO, JA, or Elite Force 2, my computer crashed. I have fans up the wazoo, and what I thought was a very good circulatory plenum. But apparently, my card (ATI 9700 Pro) gets hotter faster than my computer can cool it. I took off the cover, put a huge house fan near the card, and now I can play any game I want without having to worry about heat (and I have aluminum casing too, which really pisses me off).

Of course, my case is temporary til I find a more perminent fix. Just don't rule it out until you've fully eliminated it as a cause. It's a killer, man.
 JediNyt
09-19-2003, 6:11 AM
I have 4 different kinds of crashes.

Game completely locks and I have to force restart.

Screen goes black and sound freezes and I have to force restart.

Screen goes blue and sound freezes an I have to force restart.

Game freezes and then closes and I get the Windows error message.

I have an Alienware Aurorra DDR, AMD Althlon 1900 xp 1.6 ghz, 640 mb, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb. I got 6 fans in my comp so it cant be overheating.

Also sound has been twichy. I got Sound Blaster Live 5.1.
 MOTL Robinton
09-19-2003, 11:52 AM
I too have fallen under the dreaded influence of this annoying crash. The game loads fine. The game plays fine. I have no performance issues, only a it of a high frame rate when on the highest of high settings. However (mostly when i'm looking right at or are right near a cloaked trooper) the game will instantly freeze, locking the entire system and, like others have said, the only way out is a reboot. Win 2000 reboot takes at least 3 years so its getting kinda frustrating.

I think it might be a sound card issue, considering my outdated SB Live card i purchased 5 years ago seems to not work with my MB. I'm forced to go with this crappy C-Media AC97 card that came with my MB.

I too have fan's out the wazoo (4 fans in all not including the one on my processor) so i doubt if its a cooling problem. I think it is probably sound related cause it doesn't always happen next to or around those cloaked troopers. Sometimes it will freeze at a random point. I've been unable to get passsed the prison escape mission where you have no weapons (level set 2, mission 5) because of this error. Everytime i enter the hanger area, one place or another, it ends up locking up.

If anyone know anything more than whats been posted here about this mysterious bug, please helps us out. This game REALLY kicks ass and I don't even have Dual Sabers or a staff yet.

My Comp Specs are:

Athlon 2.5 Ghz
512 MB Ram
Radeon 8500 DV 64mb
C-Media Audio Device (crap)

And like C-3PO said to the distant sandcrawler on Tatooine, "Help! Pleeeeease Heeeeelp!"
 cheapherk
09-19-2003, 1:35 PM
I think it might be a sound card issue

I'm going to try disabling the EAX on my Audigy2. As much as I love the Soundblaster series of cards, they're kind of famous for causing problems with some games.
 MadJax
09-19-2003, 3:32 PM
When I go to play the game, it loads up fine, plays any FMV's fine, before crashing and coming up with a windows Error message, any idea's?

Specs:

AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX Pro (Latest Drivers)
256 DDR RAM
Windows XP Home edition

Please help as I haven't actually gotten a chance to play the game yet (The same thing happened in the demo)
 JediNyt
09-19-2003, 6:35 PM
*Bump*

A mod should stick this thread.
 DarthJackalope
09-19-2003, 7:09 PM
I just tried loading MP for the first time today and have tried 3 times and each time, it freezes at the opening splash screen. I can't cntl-alt-delete, alt-tab, etc - nothing. Have to just power down and restart. SP is working fine, but I cannot even get into MP. Its not an issue of system requirements (I have a 3.0 gzh, 512 RAM, 128 MB Radeon 9800 video card, etc). Anyone else have similar problem?
 Ocean
09-19-2003, 10:05 PM
I have same prob

I turned down setts and its better, but it takes llike 5 mins to load a game, such crap

ur pc is better than mine so i dunno, try setts down maybe

what conn u got?
 Raspster
09-19-2003, 11:07 PM
I have the problem too. Very random.. sometimes I can play for over 2 hours and sometimes only 15mins. One of 2 things happens. The game will freeze for like 15 secounds and then return to play no problem, Or it will freeze for like 15sec and then my speakers start this screeching noise and wham.. lock-up with restart. I was playing with anti alis on a geforce fx 5900 ultra. I have turned off the anti alis and have not yet had the probem.. mabe that was it?
 Chew-Z
09-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by AgentBif
I've had the game lockup on load a couple times, but not during play. I've played about 10-12 missions so far. I have the same problem, JO and other Q3 Games work fine.
 steelfire176
09-20-2003, 12:00 AM
I have a problem.
When i play a solo game it crashes when i attack an enemy. Then it goes back to the menu and says error:cl_ParsePacketEntities

Please help
 jodiuh
09-20-2003, 12:58 AM
Happened to me too. I had my Radeon 9800 overclocked so I took that down and switched anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering to application only...runs fine now. Prolly a driver bug.

Jod ;-)
 DarthJackalope
09-20-2003, 2:22 AM
The splash screen I am referring to is the very opening one after starting the program. I can't even get to the menu - it just has that initial Star Wars : Jedi Academy screen with the copyright info and that's it. Maybe I just need to let it keep loading, but there was no HD activity while that was going either.
 LOOie
09-20-2003, 4:15 AM
I used to always get the GPF crash problem and warm windows reboot (argghh...) in SP and MP, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a memory leak somewhere as it happens whenever theres lots of polys, scenery or distance, though I'm not sure if its a problem in the game or crap Nvidia drivers (45.23).

My System (NOT OVERCLOCKED or OVERHEATING!):
WinXP
Athlon 2500+ (Barton)
1 Gb RAM
Leadtek A310 (GeForceFX5600) 256MB AGP 8X
ASUS A7N8X mb

I found that if I turn off trilinear filtering and only use bilinear, it CRASHES MUCH LESS often. None of the other settings, glows, EAX, ect.. seem make any difference at all. It definitely happens a lot more often if I have glows and trilinear on at the same time (And the associate huge drop in frame rates :P ).

btw- JO 1.04 ran perfectly with everying maxed.

Hope this helps RAVEN fix the problem..
 dsmiff
09-20-2003, 8:40 AM
i got a problem with sp that if i start a new game it locks up after the fmv where the shuttle is entering the planet's atmosphere and if i load a save go that i got from my friends comp then is runs for about 5 min then locks up

My System
windows me
Athlon xp 1800
512 ddr ram
nforce motherboard chipset (sound on board)
geforce fx 5200 128mb (with latest drivers)
 MadJax
09-20-2003, 9:36 AM
That's the same problem I have
 dsmiff
09-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Its a pain in the ass cause i can't get on multiplayer ether and before any one says anything my computer is not over heating and i have attempted to run the game on safe mode and i still get the same problem. :confused:
 CriPPleR
09-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Yea I get random crashes that give me a windows error. It happens with both JO and JA.

All my other games run fine. Please fix it, as much as I love JO I could not play it after I got my ATI 9800 pro. I didi not have the problem with JO on my old GeForce TI4600.

It is some kind of memory leak.

CriPPleR-
 ch4s3r
09-20-2003, 4:48 PM
What you explained in your thred is exactly what happens to me. EXACTLY! I have a P4 1.5ghz, 630mb ram, 80gb harddrive, and an ATI Radion 9600pro. Only freezes when a level loads and it's random sometimes the lvl will load sometimes it'll load it just fine, a soundfile repeats and i have to restart the computer to make it stop. I've updated every peice of hardware i own and still freezes. Did anyone find an answer on how to fix this problem?:confused:
 StormHammer
09-21-2003, 1:12 PM
*bump*

I tried out MP last night (offline - solo bot matches) - and it ran okay for a while...then it tried to load the next map, and just sat there...and did nothing. I had to do a hard reboot eventually. :|
 StormtrooperGER
09-21-2003, 1:23 PM
SP works fine, but when I start MP, the window freeses and im not able to do anything
System:
Pentium 4 2.53ghz
ATI RADEON 9000 Pro 128mb
768mb Ram
etc
Newest Catalyst Drivers...
With omega-drivers theres the same error!
 StormtrooperGER
09-21-2003, 1:29 PM
I have got the same problem, i tried omega drivers, catalyst drivers, but nothing worked. i have got an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro...
 The_One
09-21-2003, 2:09 PM
Same problem here too.

Fixed it by getting a friend's JA MP config file (it doesn't make the .cfg until after you're in MP) and popping it in the right directory.

Works fine now!
 StormtrooperGER
09-21-2003, 2:44 PM
Nice, but I still dont have a config:(
Can you send me yours?
My mail: mohmodder@gmx.de
 StormHammer
09-21-2003, 2:45 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Same problem here too.

Fixed it by getting a friend's JA MP config file (it doesn't make the .cfg until after you're in MP) and popping it in the right directory.

Works fine now!

Hmmm...you just got a Radeon 9800 card, didn't you? I've got a Raeon 9700 Pro. It seems to me that a lot of people with ATI cards are having more problems running the game...

Which file did you replace, One? Also...if it works...is there a chance of you posting it somewhere for others to d/l and try?
 StormtrooperGER
09-21-2003, 4:50 PM
I got a mpconfig but it still doesnt't work :(

EDIT!

It works now! I had to shut down my firewall and now it works =)
 The_One
09-21-2003, 6:11 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Hmmm...you just got a Radeon 9800 card, didn't you? I've got a Raeon 9700 Pro. It seems to me that a lot of people with ATI cards are having more problems running the game...

Which file did you replace, One? Also...if it works...is there a chance of you posting it somewhere for others to d/l and try?

Well, that's the only problem I've encountered so far. Otherwise the game runs fine ;)

My config file is here:

http://darkforces.jediknight.net/rich/jampconfig.cfg)

Stick the file in your GameData/Base folder.

Bear in mind all my system settings are very high (gotta love my new PC) - so check them out before you boot up a game.

Hope this fix works for you guys too!
 Ildon
09-21-2003, 7:39 PM
Sorry for the repeat posting, but I'm in a bit of a spot.

As soon as I run the game (Either in single OR multiplayer), the game crashes. The loading screen comes up, the screen goes black, and crashes to desktop with an error message.
I restarted and tried again and it gave me the option to install the game, and no option to play it at all. I went to the folder and clicked both the multiplayer and single player individual executables, and got the same sort of crash.
I reinstalled, and it didn't help.

I am running Windows XP Professional with all updates (Including DirectX), AMD Athlon 2600+, 512MB PC2700 DDRAM, Radeon 9700 Pro, and an ASUS K7N8X board. This is the only game that has ever given me such a problem.
 Ildon
09-21-2003, 9:32 PM
*bump*

Runs fine on both my other PCs. One of them is the same, cept it has a Soltek SL75 board, and the other is a crappy Dell with a Radeon 7500 and a P4 1.5 in it.
 stdavinus
12-04-2003, 12:40 PM
got this problem whenever i play neverwinter nights, jedi academy and knights of the old replubic
can somebody help me on this??

http://forum.lowyat.net/uploads/post-25-1070545225.gif)
Page: 1 of 1