Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I Have it!!!! My Review (*Legit. Use spoiler tags.*)

Page: 1 of 2
 xtrazx75
09-16-2003, 7:09 PM
I just got back from EB and I have Jedi Academy. Becuase I pre-ordered it I also got this cool light-up lightsaber key-chain. I'm reading the manuel and currently installing the game. I can't wait to try out all those commands were all found in the Demo! I will post my thoughts and review later today.

I hope everyone gets their copies soon - I can't wait to play you guys online!

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COPY - I don't do Warez because I don't like virus' and crap that slows down my computer.

Anyhow I live in the Toronto Canada area and EB is selling it - so you can contact EB if you don't believe me. First, yes the Lightsaber key-chain is cool! Second - on to my first impressions:

NO SPOILERS! I WILL NOT RUIN THE FUN FOR YOU! LOL

There are NO, repeat NO more body parts/hilts than what was in the demo.... dissapointed a little but there will be mods and updates eventually. I LOVE the storyline thus far and I really enjoy meeting and interacting with Luke Skywalker & Kyle Katarn - very well done. Although your are not Kyle, he there with you while the story continues.... The plot has so far kept me interested because it's got some suspense... I got a glimpse this "bad" person in the opening mission and I'm pretty sure I've seen this person before... I'm not saying any names - but I'll have to continue the missions to find out.

So far, so good - I am enjoying the single-player experience. In the manuel it talks about the TAUNT emotes... We've tried them all except this one: "Gloat" I'm not sure if anyone used that yet - but try it out if you haven't.

I'm scanning the box now.....

Here is my OFFICIAL copy boxart:

http://members.rogers.com/jediacademy/images/boxart.JPG)
 BuRn
09-16-2003, 7:12 PM
congratulations........*grumble*
 JEDI OUTCAST
09-16-2003, 7:14 PM
good luck. starts crying. 3 days better get a move on.
 Agen
09-16-2003, 7:17 PM
ditto. The spoon is getting annoyed about this -_-
 KnightWhoSaysNi
09-16-2003, 7:20 PM
I want to know if the lightsaber keychain is really worth it?:D

Course, I really doubt he's going to reply to any of these messages since he has the game now.
 General Theros
09-16-2003, 7:24 PM
hmm i got my lightsaber keychain when i preordered... it's a neat little thing.... cool if you are a starwars geek and all. Not good as a keychain... the glass saber part is too big and bulky.... people would be asking questions about what was in your pocket!!
 Andy867
09-16-2003, 7:27 PM
xtrazx75, when you do post your review, PLEASE put it in spoiler tags and do NOT reveal anything about MAJOR plots and the alike.
 kazesan
09-16-2003, 7:33 PM
Who cares what console commands there are in SP. Check out the MP first. Just give details on what siege maps there are and what vehicles are in.

Or play some FFA with bots and give us your opinions on saber fighting. Like damage blocking ability, abusable moves, if single saber is balanced with staff and dual.

I hope I can pick my copy up at Gamestop tomorrow. I didn't preorder but I don't think it will be a problem.

Ironically enough I actually completed JK2's SP today...for the first time. :p I'm a multiplayer person.
 Kurgan
09-16-2003, 8:31 PM
Not to dampen your excitement, but per our policy, I'd ask for your proof that you bought it (since you got it early).

Please email me a scan or something (see the sticky at the top of the forum).

And don't post any spoilers until tomorrow at least!

Just to be fair.

I know we all have questions, but just wait a little longer people and all will be revealed (and with spoiler tags, ahem...!).
 Catalyst
09-16-2003, 8:37 PM
Kurgan, most people will get the game tomorrow anyway. Wal-mart frequently releases games earlier than they are suppose to but that doesnt mean you need to get jealous and threaten with a banning for people who take advantage of it.

He got it early(I wouldnt even consider TODAY early because multiple gaming sites and stores said it would be on shelves today)? Good for him, asking for proof is a pretty shallow thing to do imo
 Zappa_0
09-16-2003, 8:39 PM
I got mine also today. It rocks! I didnt get no keychain but I have a License Plate Frame comming in a few weeks. The onlything bad about the JO conversion is some maps are untextured. I hope we can get that fixed soon. Otherwise models and skins work great!
 C'jais
09-16-2003, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by Catalyst
Kurgan, most people will get the game tomorrow anyway.

Of course, by "most" you're referring to Americans, the ones who get the game on the 17th.

The rest of us still like to visit the forums until we've got the game as well ;)
 StormHammer
09-16-2003, 8:45 PM
He got it early? Good for him, asking for proof is a pretty shallow thing to do imo

Not in light of all the warez junkies we've had to deal with in the past couple of weeks. I've had to ban more people in the past fortnight than I have in the past year or more. If the warez junkies would just go away and stop trying to post spoilers all over the place, there wouldn't be a problem. :rolleyes:

Anyway, just to reiterate, could people who get the game early please use the SPOILER tags if they are going to discuss details about the game. This is so that members who cannot play the game yet, will not have their experience spoiled when they do. Thanks. :cool:
 kel-dor male
09-16-2003, 8:47 PM
When you get it instaled can you tell us if you can be a Rodian Male or any more Lightsaber hilts?
 Kurgan
09-16-2003, 8:47 PM
Kurgan, most people will get the game tomorrow anyway. Wal-mart frequently releases games earlier than they are suppose to but that doesnt mean you need to get jealous and threaten with a banning for people who take advantage of it.

He got it early(I wouldnt even consider TODAY early because multiple gaming sites and stores said it would be on shelves today)? Good for him, asking for proof is a pretty shallow thing to do imo

It's not "jealously" this was a rule we posted some time ago. We are making allowances for people who may get the game early, but if we throw open the floodgates any fool can claim he has the game and post spoilers all over the forums. That will only serve to cause chaos and start fights. Nobody wants that. So it's perfectly reasonable.

What motivates us is a sincere desire to cut down on the rampant piracy of Raven's products and the harm is causes them. Maybe we're a little cynical and paranoid after all the people who've trolled warez on here, but can you really blame us?
 Catalyst
09-16-2003, 8:50 PM
Stormhammer:

I was reading a thread earlier where Kurgan himself was hoping his copy would come in the mail TODAY. Does that mean if he got it he would have to show proof to all of us? Doesn't make sense. By the same logic other people could have gotten theirs today but they must all be warez, right?

I was hoping for my copy to come in today, but I'm willing to wait tomorrow. Doesn't mean I'll ask everyone to prove it...I just say lucky them but I'll be kicking their ass in multiplayer tomorrow :)
 Kurgan
09-16-2003, 8:54 PM
I was reading a thread earlier where Kurgan himself was hoping his copy would come in the mail TODAY. Does that mean if he got it he would have to show proof to all of us? Doesn't make sense. By the same logic other people could have gotten theirs today but they must all be warez, right?

No, my copy didn't arrive today. Does that mean I am taking it out on the people who's did? No, it does not.

You act as if I simply made up these rules myself. You forget that we admins and moderators work together behind the scenes. If ever I did something on my own that was not approved I'd be in trouble with the other admins.

And of course I would show proof. I have a scanner and I plan to scan the box when I get it, just like I did for JK2 when it came out.
And even if I didn't have a scanner, its a 5 min drive to the local Kinkos (open 24 hours) and for less than a dollar get a pic uploaded of the game box in minutes.
 xtrazx75
09-16-2003, 8:55 PM
THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COPY - I don't do Warez because I don't like virus' and crap that slows down my computer.

Anyhow I live in the Toronto Canada area and EB is selling it - so you can contact EB if you don't believe me. First, yes the Lightsaber key-chain is cool! Second - on to my first impressions:

NO SPOILERS! I WILL NOT RUIN THE FUN FOR YOU! LOL

There are NO, repeat NO more body parts/hilts than what was in the demo.... dissapointed a little but there will be mods and updates eventually. I LOVE the storyline thus far and I really enjoy meeting and interacting with Luke Skywalker & Kyle Katarn - very well done. Although your are not Kyle, he there with you while the story continues.... The plot has so far kept me interested because it's got some suspense... I got a glimpse this "bad" person in the opening mission and I'm pretty sure I've seen this person before... I'm not saying any names - but I'll have to continue the missions to find out.

So far, so good - I am enjoying the single-player experience. In the manuel it talks about the TAUNT emotes... We've tried them all except this one: "Gloat" I'm not sure if anyone used that yet - but try it out if you haven't.
 xtrazx75
09-16-2003, 8:57 PM
OKAY - I'm going to scan my box and post the pic....
 PrimoSidone
09-16-2003, 9:00 PM
dude, forget sp tell us about siege :D
 Lord Storm
09-16-2003, 9:00 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
It's not "jealously" this was a rule we posted some time ago. We are making allowances for people who may get the game early, but if we throw open the floodgates any fool can claim he has the game and post spoilers all over the forums. That will only serve to cause chaos and start fights. Nobody wants that. So it's perfectly reasonable.

What motivates us is a sincere desire to cut down on the rampant piracy of Raven's products and the harm is causes them. Maybe we're a little cynical and paranoid after all the people who've trolled warez on here, but can you really blame us?

You're gonna open the floodgates tomorrow, and any fool who claims he has the game will post spoilers anyways. In light of all the websites that had the release date set for the 16th, I say OPEN SESAME.
 xtrazx75
09-16-2003, 9:04 PM
 Chrome_Dragon
09-16-2003, 9:05 PM
59.99???? Where did you get that for 59 dollars? I thought it was 50
 xtrazx75
09-16-2003, 9:07 PM
Originally posted by Chrome_Dragon
59.99???? Where did you get that for 59 dollars? I thought it was 50

I live in Canada - it's 59.99 CANADIAN - which is about $40 US
 Catalyst
09-16-2003, 9:09 PM
I dont care much for skins and hilts like most people do so it doesnt bother me much. Better use the extra 24 hours you have to hone your MP skills before everyone else :cool:
 Darth Talliusc
09-16-2003, 9:10 PM
xtraz. damn you for living closer to a major city then me!

my EB was supposed to get it in today (i actually live kinda near you... well 3 hours away. kingston ont) but they didnt so i have to wait for tomorrow.

haha btw when i first loaded the page i thought your thread title was "I Hate it!!!! my review" haha got worried for a bit.
 Bob Gnarly
Hmmm I live in Toronto maybe i should go get it. $59.99 is cheap to.
 Kurgan
You're gonna open the floodgates tomorrow, and any fool who claims he has the game will post spoilers anyways. In light of all the websites that had the release date set for the 16th, I say OPEN SESAME.

Well think of it this way. What if a person posts right now and asks something about Jedi Outcast. How do we know he owns a legit copy of the game?

We don't, not unless he lets slip that he has the warez.

But in this case we CAN verify if they have the legit game, because not everyone has it at this point (most of the world won't get a chance until the 19th). So it's not unreasonable.

xtrazx75.. nice work man, you are clear! Enjoy the game...
; )

PS: Yes, Canadian prices rule (for us visiting Yanks). When I was in Toronto I made sure I bought a bunch of stuff from the shops. Good times...
 StormHammer
Doesn't make sense. By the same logic other people could have gotten theirs today but they must all be warez, right?

I never make those kinds of assumptions. ;) Of course people will be getting legitimate copies early - and good for them, I agree. As Kurgan said, no individual makes the rules here...there has to be a concensus between the Admins.

We just want to ensure that people are genuine (and I personally believe most of them are), and weed out the warez junkies.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the game so far, xtrazx75. I can't wait to play my own copy when it arrives.
 kel-dor male
09-16-2003, 10:49 PM
xtrazx75 your so lucky, I can't get yet, I have to hope that I get for my Brithday, thats in 10 days. oh and can you make games to play by yourself? if you can can you be someone other then the Jedi?
 DarthCobra
09-17-2003, 12:48 AM
What is the MP version #
 Wheelchairboy
09-17-2003, 12:59 AM
I only want to know one thing

Spoiler below

.can you ride vehicles in mp and if so which ones can you drive and in what mp modes.
Thanks! :)

oh, and is the jawa in the mp skins :jawa
 Darth Stryke
09-17-2003, 1:00 AM
I have a feeling that a lot of people have a lot of surprises coming in this game. Everyone knows how much customization the DEMO had and well, the final game will probably blow everyone away. I feel sorry for all those who have to wait until the 19th to get theirs. I know it is only a few more days, but it is still annoying. I am willing to bet that tomorrow, the 17th, there will be a LOT of threads with spoiler tags and OMG!s and the like. To coin a phrase, the demo's time is nearly over and "Now the real game begins" :D

Edit: for the gentleman above me, Raven already said that model scaling was possible in MP, but that the Jawa-Sized skins would not be availible without a mod due to balance issues. Also, use the spoiler tag, that is why it is there. And as for vehicles, well...Highlight

Supposidly, there are Xwings, Ties, Swoops, Jetpacks, AtSTs, and more...not to forget Taun Tauns and whatever else people add with mods
 Zod
09-17-2003, 1:04 AM
gamestop.com didn't even ship mine yet :(

Edit: IT SHIPPED!
 Wheelchairboy
09-17-2003, 1:08 AM
how do you do the spoiler tag?
 ImmolatedYoda
09-17-2003, 1:09 AM
just to tell you guys...its already been posted that (not really spoilers, but oh well):

there are no new hilts or player skins/models in the full version and space ships are not in the final game. all ive seen in screenshots are swoops, ATSTs, and TaunTauns as rideable vehicles in the game...and usable turrets, like on Hoth.
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
09-17-2003, 1:27 AM
Originally posted by Zappa_0
I got mine also today. It rocks! I didnt get no keychain but I have a License Plate Frame comming in a few weeks. The onlything bad about the JO conversion is some maps are untextured. I hope we can get that fixed soon. Otherwise models and skins work great!

Yes, unfortunately this is because of the way we build the game for release. We load all the maps and auto-cache all the assets used on the maps. So there are textures that were used in the last game that were not used in Jedi Academy, so they didn't get into this game.

The creator of the map can probably get the missing textures from JK2 and re-release their map with the missing textures.

Alternately, if someone was really ambitious, they could release a .pk3 for JKA that includes all of the missing textures from JK2 so that all JK2 mod-made maps will work in Jedi Academy.
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
09-17-2003, 1:30 AM
Originally posted by xtrazx75
There are NO, repeat NO more body parts/hilts than what was in the demo.... dissapointed a little but there will be mods and updates eventually.

Yes, it is extremely easy to add new sabers using the .sab files in ext_data/sabers. All you need to do is make a new model and a corresponding .sab file. All the user-made hilts from JK2 could easily be put into a .pk3 for Jedi Academy MP (with the proper .sab files) and you'd instantly have tons more sabers to use in MP.
 Zod
09-17-2003, 1:34 AM
Would we be able to use custom skins and models on pure servers? Because I know on most new games out you can't
 AxVegetA
09-17-2003, 1:34 AM
I guess i have to stop using the forum and any conection with JA, otherwise ill kill myself.

You know what, i sent my sister an e-mail yesterday (i told her previously) reminding her that the game is coming out tomorrow and that she has to send it to me tomorrow, so i can get it on saturday.....................and she hasnt answered, its 10 pm here, and she hasnt answered :mad: :mad: :mad:
And also i have an exam on saturday, and i dont think ill be able to study :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 Kurgan
09-17-2003, 1:35 AM
Thanks for the confirmation on that Mike!

Sounds great...

And to people wanting to know how to use the spoiler tags, do this:

[ spoiler ] text goes here [ /spoiler ]

(just remove the spaces inside the brackets, and remember, you can go back and EDIT your own posts if you goof up)
 mariners2001
09-17-2003, 1:36 AM
Originally posted by Zod
Would we be able to use custom skins and models on pure servers? Because I know on most new games out you can't

very good question and i also hope that the in-game download speeds for models/maps/hilts will be MUCH faster than JO where it downloaded 3kb/sec on my Cable internet. :(
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
09-17-2003, 1:44 AM
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
just to tell you guys...its already been posted that (not really spoilers, but oh well):

there are no new hilts or player skins/models in the full version and space ships are not in the final game. all ive seen in screenshots are swoops, ATSTs, and TaunTauns as rideable vehicles in the game...and usable turrets, like on Hoth.

There are swoops, AT-STs and Taun-Tauns in SP. On the MP maps there are swoops and AT-STs and a class or two that has jetpacks. And, even though you may not see Taun-Tauns, X-Wings, TIE-Fighters, Z-95s and TIE Bombers (and *other* vehicles) on any of the maps included in the retail version of the game, that doesn't mean they're not *available*.

Hilts and playermodels should be easy for modders to add. I'll be writing up a walkthrough/tutorial on how to do it and will include and example of each using hilts/models already made by the mod community for JK2.

Modders should be able to add new vehicles fairly easily... you just need a vehicle model with the right tags (and animations, if applicable) along with a .veh & a .npc file to make a new vehicle. I'll be writing a walkthrough/tutorial on this, too, including an example. It should be very easy to add new, non-animating vehicles (like a speeder or A-Wing, for example).

I look forward to seeing what the mod community comes up with! We've put a lot of effort in to making it easier to add new things like models, sabers, vehicles, NPCs, etc...

BTW, I'll also be working with our MP designer who did all the Siege maps to write up a walkthrough/tutorial on how to make a Siege map.
 Darth Stryke
09-17-2003, 1:47 AM
I am just waiting for tomorrow when more people have the game to discuss all of this since the few lucky ones who get it early cannot talk about it much. Just remember, USE SPOILER TAGS! :D I personally cannot wait for the mission where you get to fight Boba Fett. Supposidly, he kicks major butt. However, we shall see. I find not to listen to game reviewers about difficulty because they usually do not seem too skilled. :rolleyes: I personally cannot wait for this weekend where we will have full servers up and running for MP and especially, Siege!

MAJOR EDIT: THE RAVEN DUDE CONFIRMED Other vehicles like 7-95s, xwings, and ties will be availible (or seem to be), although it may not be apparent. Now, read that for those of you above who contradicted my originaly post where I said that and people said they didn't think so. :p (Friendly joking of course)
 xtrazx75
09-17-2003, 1:49 AM
OH MY LORD! YOU GUYS HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME! Single-Player is so satisfying - this is the ultimate Star Wars fix! The graphics are very nice (you have to see the different worlds - wow). You get to visit some familiar places from the original trilogy...

I haven't tried online play yet - I'll just wait until more people have the game.
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
09-17-2003, 1:51 AM
Originally posted by Zod

The rule about pure servers is this: the client cannot use any .pk3 files that the server doesn't have (this includes disallowing clients from having a different *version* of the .pk3 files that the server has). This prevents cheating. So, if there's a new playermodel you want to use, try to get servers to carry it. If the server has it, you can use it.

NOTE: clients don't *have* to have all the pk3 files a server has. If they *do* have extra ones that the server has, then you can use it.

Alternately, you can play on an unpure server (you can see if a server is pure or not by selecting the server and hitting the "serverinfo" button). On an unpure server, you will use all the .pk3 files in your base folder. Keep in mind, though, that other clients could be cheating using .pk3 files that, say, make all the walls see-through or something like that.
 Darth Stryke
09-17-2003, 1:52 AM
Hey xtra, out of curiosity, what is your fav SP location so far? (Use spoiler tags)
 TK-8252
09-17-2003, 1:58 AM
I have to wait to get JA until Christmas. :cry6: I'm broke so my parents will have to get me the game. (Along with a new kick-@$$ computer!!) But hopefully I can drool on some spoilers and screenies to tie me over for the incredibly long and tedious wait... :roleyess:
 Darth Stryke
09-17-2003, 2:02 AM
WAIT UNTIL CHRISTMAS! Ack, I could not do that. Hopefully you can get the game before then somehow and if not, at least stay as spoiler free as possible for the SP game so you can have a few surprises.
 VanishingVision
09-17-2003, 2:04 AM
Ahh picking my copy up tomorrow after a long day's sit at college lol, dude your so lucky

Ohh... BTW...

Guess what? I'm doing this so you will read what I have to say ^_^

Enjoy,
-VanshingVision
Page: 1 of 2