Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Here's another thought..

Page: 1 of 1
 jedispy
08-26-2003, 5:00 AM
O.k. I know I'm starting to probably piss off everyone, but I promise this will be my last thread on the matter.

Please hear me out.
Reasons why Dark Forces Mod should be released for JO and NOT JA:
There are no lightsabers in DF. There were no force powers in DF (at least I think....although I like the limited force healing you put in there.) <can't remember if that was in the original DF>

What would be the point of pushing it back to JA? It would be a waste of time since you've already done so much work in the development for the JO DFMOD.

Here's what you could do instead for JA:
*Do a DF2JK Mod instead.
*DF2JK has lightsaber dueling
*DF2JK has force powers.
*DF2JK also had MOTS...which would be yet another awesome Mod.
*Many people have already made DF2JK models for JO (I've seen Sith Sariss, Sith Yun, Sith Jerec, Rahn, Morgan Katarn, Grans, Gammorreans, Mara Jade, Rodians, Weequays, Sith Maw, and a few others that I can't remember right now.)
*If you could use those models, then you would only really need to make a few civilian models, Sith Gorc, Sith Pic, Sith Boc (the Twilek Sith guy), a Hutt character (as seen in MOTS), and any other Models that I happen to have forgotten to mention.
*You could use the same Moldy Crow ship model that you have currently.
*You all would become the best @#$% modders ever....past, present, future, ETERNITY!!!

Am I intriguing anyone yet? Please consider it carefully.

Jedispy
 Emon
08-26-2003, 5:58 AM
You just don't get it, do you? All the progress from JO will carry over to JA. There's no doubt about that. Nothing has been done in vein.

It's simple. The mod cannot be completed for JO. Unless you'd like to run around in the DF level and not shoot at anything! AI is a bitch to recreate. It's almost nonexistant in JO MP, and we can't use the SP game because of limitations. JA MP, on the other hand, already has scripting and AI. Do you know what the latest build of this mod has for AI? The stormtrooper is just an invisible collide box that makes random noises. That's. About. It.

So do you understand? It just cannot be completed for JO due to coding limitations. Cannot. Never. It won't happen. If you really want to support the mod team, buy JA and stop pissing us off.
 The Count
08-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by jedispy
Dark Forces Mod should be released for JO and NOT JA

This is getting really old really fast.
 Katarn07
08-26-2003, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by Emon
You just don't get it, do you? All the progress from JO will carry over to JA. There's no doubt about that. Nothing has been done in vein.

It's simple. The mod cannot be completed for JO. Unless you'd like to run around in the DF level and not shoot at anything! AI is a bitch to recreate. It's almost nonexistant in JO MP, and we can't use the SP game because of limitations. JA MP, on the other hand, already has scripting and AI. Do you know what the latest build of this mod has for AI? The stormtrooper is just an invisible collide box that makes random noises. That's. About. It.

So do you understand? It just cannot be completed for JO due to coding limitations. Cannot. Never. It won't happen. If you really want to support the mod team, buy JA and stop pissing us off.

That's all right, except it could be released for JO eventually, but would be better off on JA. I don't oubt they'd pull something off for JO, it just would just take way to much time to make it as good since JA has all these 'modding' capabilities.
 TK-8252
08-26-2003, 3:21 PM
This is getting old. You are driving The One insane! I can guarantee that The One is going to come in here and close this thread.
 reaper1576
08-26-2003, 4:13 PM

Here's what you could do instead for JA:
*Do a DF2JK Mod instead.
*DF2JK has lightsaber dueling
*DF2JK has force powers.
*DF2JK also had MOTS...which would be yet another awesome Mod.
Jedispy

DF2 JK mod is being done where waiting for JA to come out and to carry on working on the mod for JA as im hearing very good things at the moment where working on levels, graphics and models. Also emon is right both mods need the features of JA like he said
 Darth_Linux
08-26-2003, 5:36 PM
yes, Reaper's team is *already* reproducing the Dark Forces 2 game for Jedi Academy . . .
 Barry Brien
08-30-2003, 4:15 PM
What I don't understand is all this "it's impossible to complete the MOD fo JO" talk. If this is the case, why did you even start it in the first place?

I'm not going to give my opinion on the situation though, as you guys seem pretty adamant that it'll be released for JA, despite what it sayts at the top of all these pages.
 Fracman
08-30-2003, 6:59 PM
*lol* how often do we have to repeat this? I fear as long as the mod is not finished...
Rich, could you pls. add this as major FAQ to the website? :p

At the time the mod started, more than one year ago, there was absolutely no idea about JA. In fact the coding team believed it could modifiy the JO MP source code (taking the WLS coop mod as example).
DF is a SP only game, yes, but the only thing that can be modified in JO is the MP portion, especially if you want to add new weapons and enemies. And this is the crucial part. As long as we only have humanoid ennemies, its fine. But DF also shows alien ennemies and they simply can't be made looking real - because JO MP has only humanoid animations!

Along with other MP coding problems that occured, JO is not very suitable to finish DFMOD. Certainly, all the models, weapons, textures and levels can be done for JO, but thats all!
Now, from the press releases and interviews with people from Raven, it seems JA will have a better modding support.
But: we have to wait for its release and the release of the JA editing tools. Before this happens, we don't know very much about JA modding and therefore we have to continue with JO until then.

Please be patient and excuse the delay.
 Benevolence
08-30-2003, 7:39 PM
O.k. I know I'm starting to probably piss off everyone, but I promise this will be my last thread on the matter.

Please hear me out.
Reasons why Dark Forces Mod should be released for JO and NOT JA:
There are no lightsabers in DF. There were no force powers in DF (at least I think....although I like the limited force healing you put in there.) <can't remember if that was in the original DF>

What would be the point of pushing it back to JA? It would be a waste of time since you've already done so much work in the development for the JO DFMOD.

Jedispy

Here are two small things that might help you understand the problems we have been facing.

First there is no jetpack/flying ability in JO. That means a severely hampered Boba Fett and a grounded Dark Trooper Phase 2. JA on the other hand has jetpacks and I believe even a Boba Fett model with full AI already built into the game. That's a huge asset to the mod team so we don't have to reinvent the wheel again.

Second there are no models in JO that even resemble the AI or appearance of Kell Dragons. In JA there is a Rancor and probably other stuff (Maybe even a Kell Dragon) that could be easily modified into a DF Kell Dragon. Again that helps out the MOD team who has full scheduals, jobs, and other real life issues out quite a bit. There are even more reasons for moving to JA but this is just a sample to give you a good idea why the move to JA.

Just because DF didn't have force powers and sabers is not looking at the big picture. DF had lots of things in it that WERN'T in JO.

When this MOD got started we were hoping for more support from Raven with an SDK like they had provided for other games. That didn't really happen so we had to try our best to solve problems on our own (switching to MP JO instead of SP for instance). When we found out about JA and all that JA could do it just made sense to switch to JA.

Now here is the sentence that I hope stops this thread once and for all:

MOVING OVER TO JA WILL ALLOW US TO COMPLETE THIS PROJECT MUCH FASTER WHILE AT THE SAME TIME ALLOW US TO DO A MUCH BETTER JOB THAN WE COULD EVER DO IN JO!!!!

To paraphrase Darth_Linux from a long time ago, if we end up releasing something for JO it would end up being a glorified map pack which is NOT what we want to do (I think he was talking about SP but now it looks like it applies to the whole game).

Keep in mind we WISH we could have completed the project in JO but circumstances (That unfair life thing again) has made this near impossible to do (at least how we want to do it). If you want to play this MOD you'll have to go out and buy JA (you already bought JO, whats the huge deal?) which also supports Raven who made this wonderful platform for the mod in the first place.

Ok, now I'm getting too preachy. Ben out.
 jedispy
08-30-2003, 9:32 PM
"First there is no jetpack/flying ability in JO."

Ahem...<cough>:
http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=870)
http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=901)

---------------

Well it is just too bad that it's being made for JO. I have no intention of buying a brand new game just for a silly little mod, no matter how much work you guys put into it. I'm not at all interested in JA. Lightsaber and force powers....yeah I've got that already.

So as it stands I have zero intent to play your Dark Force mod. Too bad too. You did an excellent job on the first level. Now if someone handed me a free copy of JA, then I will play your little mod.

Now I know what you are thinking, 'oh no! Jedispy won't play the mod...big fricking deal." Well I know my opinion doesn't matter. However consider all of the other people in this forum who feel the same way as me.

Look at the poll that was taken. Majority wanted it in JO.

Like I said, it is just too bad. Have fun making your little mod.

Jedispy
 The Count
08-30-2003, 10:14 PM

Ahem...<cough>:

---------------

Well it is just too bad that it's being made for JO. I have no intention of buying a brand new game just for a silly little mod, no matter how much work you guys put into it. I'm not at all interested in JA. Lightsaber and force powers....yeah I've got that already.

So as it stands I have zero intent to play your Dark Force mod. Too bad too. You did an excellent job on the first level. Now if someone handed me a free copy of JA, then I will play your little mod.

Now I know what you are thinking, 'oh no! Jedispy won't play the mod...big fricking deal." Well I know my opinion doesn't matter. However consider all of the other people in this forum who feel the same way as me.

Jedispy

You ignorant ungreatful stupid wanker. That Jetpack is for multiplayer only not Singleplayer why are there not Single Player Mods with a Jet Pack you moron!

Also all the people who want the MOD on JO will most probably buy Jedi Academy so they will still play it.

It doesn't matter if no one plays it (especially all you!) anyway because the team are making it for themselves as much as anyone else!

What part of it can't be completed for JO can't you understand?
This Mod goes for JA or nowhere!

Go and sulk because you wife won't let you buy the game

(Sorry for the flamming and offensive language but he really pissed me off)
 The Count
08-30-2003, 10:16 PM

Ahem...<cough>:

---------------

Jedispy

You ignorant ungreatful selfish stupid wanker. That Jetpack is for multiplayer only not Singleplayer why are there not Single Player Mods with a Jet Pack you moron!

Also all the people who want the MOD on JO will most probably buy Jedi Academy so they will still play it.

It doesn't matter if no one plays it (especially all you!) anyway because the team are making it for themselves as much as anyone else!

What part of it can't be completed for JO can't you understand?
This Mod goes for JA or nowhere!

Go and sulk someplace else because you wife won't let you buy the game.

Katarn07
08-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by The Count

The fact that you know you did that and know it's against the rules and did it anyways pisses me off even more. :rolleyes:

And to JediSpy:

Ummmm, you wouldn't get JA just for the DF mod. You'd get a whole new game, bigger and better than JO, even though you don't play as Kyle ;)

Plus, if mods can be made for it unlike JO, there will be a lot better SP map making community out there. MotS had much better maps for download than JK just because of all the new features in it :)

Your opinion does make a difference. They may release that "glorified map-pack" for people like you and me who cannot get JA for PC (or choose not to, in your case.) That is all that is possible for JO unfortunately, but since I won't get JA for PC any time soon, it'd do for me.

And stop calling this mod 'little'. This is the biggest and best thing going on in the modding community, along with the JKEnhanced. They're recreating an entire game, complete with recreated models, textures, weapons, AI, and all.... It is a 'massive' mod.

Have fun with your 'massive' mod guys ;)
 The_One
08-31-2003, 3:09 PM
Looks like we are forever going round in circles here at the Dark Forces MOD Towers.

Do yourself a favour and read some of the other threads. Also, please cut down on the abuse. I could go on...

Closed.
Page: 1 of 1