Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Do ja will have civilian npc .

Page: 1 of 1
 Closter
08-20-2003, 6:52 PM
Beacause in all preview i see they dont say it.
 Tinny
08-20-2003, 7:24 PM
i thought i saw jawas on one of the tatooine levels :/
 txa1265
08-20-2003, 7:30 PM
I think we will see some - Tatooine as stated seems to have some Jawas around. Hoth really is to dang cold for civilians, so the test will be in the city area we see. I'm not expecting it to look like Anakin chasing Zam Wessell, but I'm hoping for a few civilians, hopefully with colorful stories ;)

Mike
 ImmolatedYoda
08-20-2003, 10:27 PM
quite doubtful.
 Neverhoodian
08-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Well, there was one preview that said something about choosing the Dark side if choking innocents was too good to refuse. (can't remember which preview it was, though.)
 Obi-Wan X
08-21-2003, 12:43 AM
I actually think we'll be seeing some civilians.

Just enough to be compared to JK I hope. JK didn't have a lot of civilians to get on your nerves, but enough to be seen regularly and you'd have to save them at times.

I just hope I don't have to save them from a group of reborn : ). Nearly impossible once they put their mind to it!
 Prime
08-21-2003, 1:24 AM
Just having some NPCs will make it a substantial improvement over JO. I really hope Raven doesn't let us down in this department...
 Kurgan
08-21-2003, 1:33 AM
Yeah, that's what was so much fun about JK... going around saving civilians from getting punched by unruly gangs of Grans.

; )

When they talk about "innocents" I hope they just don't mean "your team" (ie: Bespin Cops, Republic Commandos, etc), but actually innocent bystanders who go about their business until you come after them like a homocidal maniac...
 The Cheat
08-21-2003, 3:17 AM
yeah there were like no civilians in jedi outcast, everybody on nar shadaa was trying to ****ing kill me
 Closter
08-21-2003, 3:17 AM
You right about the Jawas i just see them in a video.
 txa1265
08-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by The Cheat
yeah there were like no civilians in jedi outcast, everybody on nar shadaa was trying to ****ing kill me You too?!?! And I thought I just did something to pi$$ off the entire population of Nar Shadda ... maybe from when I wrecked the place back in '96/'97 ...

;)

Mike
 Andy867
08-21-2003, 6:33 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I think we will see some - Tatooine as stated seems to have some Jawas around. Hoth really is to dang cold for civilians, so the test will be in the city area we see. I'm not expecting it to look like Anakin chasing Zam Wessell, but I'm hoping for a few civilians, hopefully with colorful stories ;)

Mike

I can't imagine there being colorful stories (unless they are black and white) since its been only like 9 or 10 years after a GALACTIC war, and not just some world war... The Clone Wars destroyed millions of lives and turned prominent civilizations into wastelands. If anything, they will still look the same like how they did during the original trilogy (rags and torn clothes, nothing in resemblance to the Prequel Trilogy)
 txa1265
08-21-2003, 6:40 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
I can't imagine there being cheerful stories since its been only 10 years after a GALACTIC war, and not some World War... The Clone Wars destroyed millions of lives and turned prominent civilizations into wastelands. If anything, they will still look the same like how they did during the original trilogy (rags and torn clothes, nothing in resemblance to the Prequel Trilogy)

I didn't say cheerful stories, I said colorful stories. Kind of like the Stormtroopers in JKII ... maybe griping about prices and saying things were better with the empire than the new republic, and someone else retorting that at least the new republic doesn't randomly come through and blast people, and the first person saying well, there is that ... or whatever. Just some sign that they exist outside of the moment you wander through either killing or saving them.

Mike
 StormHammer
08-21-2003, 6:53 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I didn't say cheerful stories, I said colorful stories. Kind of like the Stormtroopers in JKII ... maybe griping about prices and saying things were better with the empire than the new republic, and someone else retorting that at least the new republic doesn't randomly come through and blast people, and the first person saying well, there is that ... or whatever. Just some sign that they exist outside of the moment you wander through either killing or saving them.

Mike

Yeah...that sort of thing really brings the environment to life. Jut having enemies/allies/neutral characters talking about what's going on in the universe gives you an immediate sense of place.

I loved the Stormtrooper conversations in Jedi Outcast, so I hope this sort of thing has been continued in Jedi Academy.

As for NPCs...as already stated, we know about the Jawas, and we know you will have some 'allies' on certain missions. I'm hoping to see 'town' people like those in the original Jedi Knight, especially in the city areas. Otherwise it's just going to seem very odd that no one is around except people trying to kill you... :/

There really needs to be native wildlife too...like on Tatooine there should be Banthas, Rontos, Dewbacks etc., which may not actually do anything, but would lend even more authenticity to the setting.
 JDKnite188
08-21-2003, 7:14 PM
Civilians are not an added feature; they are integral to any city or civil locale. It was so stupid how every person in the streets of Nar in JO was trying to kill you. Bespin too should have definitely had civilians. JK had it perfectly set with civilians. It wasn't necessary to have a large variety, but 5 types did the trick.

The conservations were a great feature in both JK and JO. I still remember one from JO (this is featured in Bespin). . . .

Stormie1: We're pulling out.
Reelo's employee: What about us?
Stormie2: You are on your own.

Small stuff like this used in a excess amount is a nice feature in placing the mood of a place.

Also, it was fun in JK saving NPCs from attackers. All just good stuff.
 txa1265
08-21-2003, 7:54 PM
Well said Stormhammer and JDKnite188 ...

It isn't about having a ton of people roaming around sending your frame rate through the floor - after all, that one market level in MotS had, what, a total of ~20 people, spread over 6 or 7 encounter areas. It was just finding a few people in line, then a few in the market, that made the area feel alive.

In Elite Force II they had some on the Enterprise and in general it was some fun, except when the 'plant lady' was standing there 'talking' to someone but there was no dialogue :rolleyes: They also had the bar area where the only conversation was a cute (if contrived) knock off of the Mos Eisley encounter to get transport on the Falcon. Nice but not exactly subtle ...

That's all I am looking for. A few people where people ought to be. Doing something they should be doing - not looking planted.

Mike
 boinga1
08-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Ehh...we may see a few, but I doubt anything we can really interact with. Tha focus here is going to be on the saber, and fighting....I expect talking will be a small part of the game.

But, hopefull,y we'll see a couple civilians around towns. But I doubt it.
 master_thomas
08-22-2003, 12:57 AM
Yeah, something other than astromech (r2 and r5) droids roaming around would be nice. It's pretty weird when as soon as you take out your saber, everyone instinctively tries to kill you. Before that, the bar was pretty well stocked with civilians,. They were talking, gambling, etc. until you revealed yourself to be a jedi. Then, all heck broke loose.

How about what they did in Starwars: Bounty Hunter? There were many civilians who ran and hid from you. Maybe this time they could hide behind you. Not so many, but just enough to be life like.

Ahh, stormie conversations, they made it worthwhile to wait behind a door before slicing them up or blowing them up.

"No sir, thermal scan shows nothing.

Okay sir, sorry sir.

<hangs up>

Big dumb officer; why don't you get into this armor and see if you can see out of this dang helmet while I sit in my cushy office and tell you how dumb and incompetent you are!"

That made me think about killing him. I just pulled his gun away and left him alone (he hates his superiors and he's no threat anyway). It made me feel good about myself. Then, I went into the console, and typed "kill". I replayed the level and killed him before he knew what was going on. :dev7:
 Andy867
08-22-2003, 1:20 AM
I thought that the cinematic clip that a person made for Outcast was pretty good and made the stormies and imperials seem more human, like the imperial insults the stormie, who had never fought a target that fights back...
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
I thought that the cinematic clip that a person made for Outcast was pretty good and made the stormies and imperials seem more human, like the imperial insults the stormie, who had never fought a target that fights back... That was part of the game.

- Have you ever fired a blaster

- Sure, I was the top wamprat hunter in my class at the academy

- No I mean against a sentient target, something that can fire back

- Um, no.

- Damn rookies - no wonder we're losing the empire!

:D

Mike
Page: 1 of 1