Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to report....

Page: 1 of 1
 Xiarti
08-02-2003, 8:51 PM
How should someone report websites that have an illegal (pirated) version of a game up for sale? I couldn't find a link that mentioned that on lucasarts.com and I really need to report two websites.
Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
 Emon
08-02-2003, 8:56 PM
E-mail LucasArts?
 Xiarti
08-02-2003, 9:05 PM
Originally posted by Emon
E-mail LucasArts?

They only had a troubleshooting (for games) and a site feedback email listed that I saw. And I want to make sure they know of the sites so they can shut them down.
 The Truthful Liar
08-02-2003, 9:08 PM
Or PM a Mod/Supermod/Admin here. ; )
 The Count
08-02-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Xiarti
How should someone report websites that have an illegal (pirated) version of a game up for sale? I couldn't find a link that mentioned that on lucasarts.com and I really need to report two websites.

No offence but I have alot of better things to do with my time, than report Illegal Websites, however to each his own.
 Lach
08-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Do you think loosing $50,000 + and a prison sentance is fair punishment for stealing a $40 game? Now I dont condone software piracy at all, but at the off chance lucas arts does track down the site owner(very unlikley), do you want that to happen :?

Hell LOL-games arent usually given out on sites, so they are proboably just trying to convince gullible morons to click on their advertisers links. If reported however, im sure lucasarts will be forced to investigate because of some corporate policy, and when they find JA isnt even being given out on the site, tey will have just wasted alot of time.
 Emon
08-02-2003, 11:52 PM
E-mail one of their staff members directly, they'll know what to do.

On a side note, the sites likely won't get shut down.

And on another side note, you spelled offense wrong.
 Gabrobot
08-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Lach
Do you think loosing $50,000 + and a prison sentance is fair punishment for stealing a $40 game? Now I dont condone software piracy at all, but at the off chance lucas arts does track down the site owner(very unlikley), do you want that to happen :?

Jedi Academy is finished and for sale now? When did this happen? :confused:

Hell LOL-games arent usually given out on sites, so they are proboably just trying to convince gullible morons to click on their advertisers links. If reported however, im sure lucasarts will be forced to investigate because of some corporate policy, and when they find JA isnt even being given out on the site, tey will have just wasted alot of time.

Lucasarts has special people who's only job is to do this...it wouldn't delay the game if they looked into sites with stolen software.
 Cosmos Jack
08-03-2003, 12:55 AM
Software piracy is like a computer virus. Once it's out of the bag your not going to shut it down. Do you think anyone ever ketches all the guys that make viruses and put out on the net?

All it takes is 1 person to crack or still a program and put it on the net 10 people get it. Than 10 people get it from them so on and so on. lol you can get hacked versions of Microsoft XP Professional. Any game released you can get off the net just about. As long as it's popular. It might have only a 50/50 chance of being able to play online, but that's why hackers make key generators so you can do just that.

I don't think stilling is right, but I think the government has more important things to do than waist tax money on people hacking and stilling computer games. It's like the war on drugs lol I think that would be more winnable than stopping software piracy.

The majority of people who DL games illegally aren't people that would have bought them in the first place most of the time. Besides why would anyone "BUY" the game from these people you want to report? I guarantee you can get it for free of one of them file sharing programs.
 Cosmos Jack
08-03-2003, 1:01 AM
Originally posted by Gabrobot
Jedi Academy is finished and for sale now? When did this happen? :confused: No it's not, but a hacked "Beta version" is floating around the net. ;) That's not so confusing is it.
That someone would pay for it. That is down right mined boggling...:confused:
 Gabrobot
08-03-2003, 1:08 AM
Originally posted by Cosmos Jack
Software piracy is like a computer virus. Once it's out of the bag your not going to shut it down. Do you think anyone ever ketches all the guys that make viruses and put out on the net?

All it takes is 1 person to crack or still a program and put it on the net 10 people get it. Than 10 people get it from them so on and so on. lol you can get hacked versions of Microsoft XP Professional. Any game released you can get off the net just about. As long as it's popular. It might have only a 50/50 chance of being able to play online, but that's why hackers make key generators so you can do just that.

I don't think stilling is right, but I think the government has more important things to do than waist tax money on people hacking and stilling computer games. It's like the war on drugs lol I think that would be more winnable than stopping software piracy.

The majority of people who DL games illegally aren't people that would have bought them in the first place most of the time. Besides why would anyone "BUY" the game from these people you want to report? I guarantee you can get it for free of one of them file sharing programs.

Mmm hmmm...and because crimes like murder and theft ect. still happen, I suppose the police should just give up trying to prevent it?

Also, if anyone ever stole an early version of the level I'm working on, and I saw people like you posting things like what you just posted, I'd get extremely discouraged and consider canceling my project...maybe you should look at things from a different view than that of pirates.
 Gabrobot
08-03-2003, 1:10 AM
No it's not, but a hacked "Beta version" is floating around the net. ;) That's not so confusing is it.
That someone would pay for it. That is down right mined boggling...:confused:

I was pointing out that JA is not a game that has been released and for sale for $40.
 StormHammer
08-03-2003, 1:35 AM

If you can't find a suitable address for Lucasarts, then contact Raven Software, the developer of JA, directly. Here's the contact email address off their website (http://www.ravensoft.com/frameset.html)...

www@ravensoft.com

Mark it FAO Kenn Hoekstra, the Project Leader on JA, and it should get through the proper channels.

As for those attempting to defend or at least excuse 'leaked' and warez copies of games for download, take it elsewhere. We don't tolerate warez on these forums. It's stealing, plain and simple, and it does affect the developers, the publishers, and future game development.

That's where you're completely wrong. If a website is offering the game for download, it is not simply $40 of lost revenue. If 1000 people download it, that's $40,000 of lost revenue. If 10,000 download it, that's $400,000 of lost revenue. All because someone thinks it's a smart move to distribute stolen goods. Suddenly a $50,000 fine doesn't seem much compared to the potential losses the developer has to shoulder in that context. So yes, I do condone such tough sentences for site owners. If they don't want to be penalised, they shouldn't deal in warez. :mad:
 Cosmos Jack
08-03-2003, 1:50 AM
Originally posted by Gabrobot
Mmm hmmm...and because crimes like murder and theft ect. still happen, I suppose the police should just give up trying to prevent it?

Also, if anyone ever stole an early version of the level I'm working on, and I saw people like you posting things like what you just posted, I'd get extremely discouraged and consider canceling my project...maybe you should look at things from a different view than that of pirates.

Hmm maybe since crimes like murder and "theft" which is odd you mention "theft", because that's what this post is about. lol These things still happen so maybe you should just give up on living and throw in the towel. At least before someone stills all your crap and shoots you. That's from your point of view I will stick to my own thanks. ;)

As far as you being discouraged about what I type if you were a level or game designer. Sorry but as the saying goes "SAD BUT TRUE"
 Lach
08-03-2003, 1:58 AM

And how many people from Enron have been given jail sentences to date? Oh right-NOT ONE: The goverment has more important things to do then handle software pirates.

This wouldnt be an issue AT ALL if lucas-arts just implimented a CD Key system to play the game-so at least these pirates arent playing it online. How much single player gameplay do you think is in JA? Certainly not more then 40 hours, few FPS's top that. The real time is in multiplayer-which is 100% pirate protected with a cd key system, but for some OTHER WORDLY reason they dont want to, and seem almost hostile at the idea. Why is beyond me....... I find it really frustrating they dont do something this simple to stop pirates.
 txa1265
08-03-2003, 2:33 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
As for those attempting to defend or at least excuse 'leaked' and warez copies of games for download, take it elsewhere. We don't tolerate warez on these forums. It's stealing, plain and simple, and it does affect the developers, the publishers, and future game development.

Thanks for the post ... I have been getting pounded the last few days for taking a strong stance about this ...

They have said that the MP3 sites have been way down in traffic since the RIAA has started handing out subpoenas ... maybe a few sites getting major fines will put a dent in piracy. I still feel that the growth or decline of piracy is in the hands of ordinary folks like us here. The hardcore pirates won't change, but if we really try to change a few minds, we can really make a difference ...

Mike
 Emon
08-03-2003, 2:52 AM
I don't believe the developers are affected... I don't think they pull in profits from the game like the publisher does. But I could be wrong.

Not like it's important.
 Xiarti
08-03-2003, 3:15 AM
Thank you to the ones who gave helpful replies. I just hate pirating, because yes, it does hurt the gaming industry.
One of the sites was made just for the purpose of distributing the beta and had over 200 downloads when I looked. It was being advertised on the Zone, and multiple games were playing it.
Anyway, I've sent e-mails to both Ravensoft and LucasArts. Here's hoping both sites get shut down. :D
 StormHammer
08-03-2003, 3:26 AM
I don't believe the developers are affected... I don't think they pull in profits from the game like the publisher does. But I could be wrong.

Not like it's important.

Well, it's not a good business model if you don't make at least slightly more money on a project than you put into it. In other words, developers do need to see an optimal return on their investment, especially those that do not have the luxury of financial backing from the publishers. The problem that we've seen year on year is that some developers simply can't shoulder the financial losses if their games do not sell well, and they ultimately close their doors. When a developer of great games has to do that, then it's a sad day for the gaming community.

As for the publishers...if they lose lots of money, how can they then provide the financial backing to those developers 'under their wing'. Developers can't simply work on thin air for 3 years (or however long a project takes to complete). They have to pay staff and all the other overheads, which needs ongoing cash injections - and if the publisher is injecting that cash, then it has to come from their own surpluses. Of course they are in business to make a profit, and have to look after their shareholders, etc., that's just the way that companies work. However, they would have to plough money back in to support the developers as well. But if sales fall because piracy is on the rise, then obviously that impacts profits, impacts share prices, and ultimately can result in 'streamlining' to reduce overheads, which usually means laying off staff, and as we've seen many times, closing down some development 'wings' completely.

No, I don't think it's all down to piracy. Other market forces are at work, and sometimes it comes down to bad financial management...but piracy does have an impact, and in my view it matters a great deal. I want to be able to play quality games in the future, from a variety of developers, and not see increasing monopolisation by those companies that are simply big enough to keep afloat by churning out games of questionable quality.

So please, if anyone finds a site peddling their 'warez', let the developers know about it. People who think music, games and other things should cost them nothing, are frankly living in cloud cuckoo land. Maybe they should try opening a store, spending thousands of dollars, or pounds (or whatever your currency) on stock, and then letting all your customers walk in and take that stock without paying for it. Then see how long you stay in business. :rolleyes: Does that mean I agree with some of the inflated prices of some goods? Of course not. Personally I think music CDs (particularly albums that were previously released on vinyl LPs) are overpriced in many cases. I would like to see prices reflect actual costs of development and 'realistic' instead of 'inflated' profits. Technically, the more you sell, the more the price should come down, in my view. But the bottom line is...you should still have to pay 'something'.
 Lach
08-03-2003, 12:39 PM
I am NOT defending piracy note you-dont think I am. Piracy = wrong. If someone buys the game after pirating it however.... is there anything wrong with that? ANYWAY that really isnt my point. My point is, theft is wrong.

There is an ever increasing amount of programs and things being done by developers that make it much harder to steal games then before. Things like the newer versions of secure-rom mean the would be thief has to have some TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE to steal the games. The result is that games that use the most rescent version of secure-rom have taken DRASTIC nose dives in piracy rates, not because people dont want to-people will always want to-but because they DONT KNOW HOW. Any moron can download a file, but if there is "advanced" methods of protection "Joe Pirate" isnt going to be able to steal it. This wont stop the more technically savy people, but who do you think steals more copies of games?

Lets look at the economic situation with games........ who buys more games? The mass market, or the l33t gamer(l33t gamer being anyone who has been into gaming for a long time, and posts on a message board ;) )? The mass market provides most of the sales, and ALSO most of the piracy, the small amount of more tech savy people who can pirate with the newest versions of secure rom is a small fraction fo what it was before.

I am NOT saying software piracy is justified if the developers dosent use good copyright protection-I AM NOT. HOWEVER if the publisher wants to protect their investment, they should spend the extra money and put in good copyright protection and more important..... A CD KEY SYSTEM!!!

It's interesting that NWN is proboably one of the most heavily pirated games in rescent memory..... it also has spectacular multiplayer, and because it needs cd keys to play it online, it has an enormeous roll-over rate of people buying it after they pirate it. There is no way around cd-keys for online protection(stealing them from a box isnt exactly common).

Jedi outcast's single player was so great that if I had pirated it(I didnt) I would of bought it to continue with more gameplay online.

It seems almost idiotic that lucas-arts refuses to put in a CD key system, and if they arent doing that its a good chance they arent going to use the new secure-rom either........ which would cut piracy by at least 75%.
 HertogJan
08-03-2003, 1:37 PM
What's securom? Is it another copy protection like safedisc?? Damn, those protections are sooo easy to crack. Take safedisc, that needed only 1 crack, which allowed you to copy any safedisc game you wanted without any knowledge and then apply the crack. It worked on ALL safedisc games!!

No, a CD Key system is the way to go, the ONLY way to protect online play. The crackers out there will ALLWAYS be smarter than the companies making protections. Heck, I think a lot of those cracks come directly from employees of safedisc etc.!!!
 Lach
08-03-2003, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
What's securom? Is it another copy protection like safedisc?? Damn, those protections are sooo easy to crack. Take safedisc, that needed only 1 crack, which allowed you to copy any safedisc game you wanted without any knowledge and then apply the crack. It worked on ALL safedisc games!!

No, a CD Key system is the way to go, the ONLY way to protect online play. The crackers out there will ALLWAYS be smarter than the companies making protections. Heck, I think a lot of those cracks come directly from employees of safedisc etc.!!!

I agree 100% with the cd key issue of course, but the more protection, the merrier.

The lastest version of secure-rom puts intentional errors on the CD that the game wont run unless they are detected-this makes copying the CD impossible(even by that other usual way I wont post about because I dont want to be advising morons to steal games). It isnt on alot of games yet, but those it has been in have taken enormeous drops in piracy rates.

It is possible to crack, but the major warez groups are having a hell of a hard time with it: publicly admiting to that fact.

Instead of taking a couple of days, it can take a month, or months to crack the latest version(it has SOME compatabilitty issues with old cd-rom drives so its not enormeously popular yet, but who is gonna be playing jedi outcast who has an old computer lol?).

I'd list all the other methods of warez'ing that the latest version of securerom stops, but I dont want to give info on how to steal games to those who dont know.

Suffice it to say it is very possible to cut piracy down to a smidgen of what it would be, if the publisher would spend the extra money.
 HertogJan
08-03-2003, 2:32 PM
Nah, big release groups (I won't name them of course) are pretty quick with releasing, no matter what protection. Sometimes they release bad copies, but they are fixxed so fast because then everyone has access to the game and can attempt to crack it... They'll have a copy WITH errors in no-time, make it into an image and then everyone can download it :(

It's sad, but history has proven that no protection can stand against the professional crackers. CD-Keys are really the only succesfull method...
 jipe
08-03-2003, 2:33 PM
Yeah, CD Keys work great until someone who downloaded the game uses a keygen and comes up with a code that is exactly the same as one sitting in a retail box, and someone buys that box and brings it hope and suddenly their key is useless.

And SecuROM (or SafeDisc, there's several of them)? Yeah, that worked great with Morrowind. I'm sure every single person who bought the game enjoyed the 15% performance loss.. and the game was still cracked anyway.

I also am tired of hearing the JA leak being referred to as warez - that would imply that JA is available to buy in stores. Until September 16, it is not. The leak is simply a leaked 'beta', nothing more. I'm not saying this in any way makes it "right" to download the leak, but throwing around the term warez loosely does not get you anywhere - get off your high horse.
 Lach
08-03-2003, 3:25 PM
Originally posted by jipe
Yeah, CD Keys work great until someone who downloaded the game uses a keygen and comes up with a code that is exactly the same as one sitting in a retail box, and someone buys that box and brings it hope and suddenly their key is useless.

If thats the case they can return the game......... and that is pretty damn rare.
 Obi-Wan X
08-03-2003, 3:35 PM
I do NOT condone the act of piracy, though I do question why you may want to go out of your way to report piracy sites.

If I had a dollar for how many piracy sites ive encountered...well, i'd have a lot of dollars. But it is a good choice, though I doubt anything will be done about it. But hopefully the site will be taken down.

Regarding the RIAA (sp?), I do think that it is getting a bit overblown. I know that it is wrong, but it is unsettling to hear of a 60 + year old man being sued 10,000 + dollars for downloading his "oldies hits" ( which really happened). While I think this may slow down piracy in that regard, I do think the price people are paying for this are a bit high. The majority who download music and the like really don't see anything wrong, they simply download, because everyone else is doing it ( WHICH IS WRONG). But when they get a huge fine, things tend to become bigger than they really are.
 The Count
08-03-2003, 5:29 PM

And on another side note, you spelled offense wrong.

Uhh Emon, it can actually be spelt both ways.

This word, like expense, is often spelled with a c. It ought, however, to undergo the same change with expense, the reasons being the same, namely, that s must be used in offensive as in expensive, and is found in the Latin offensio, and the French offense.

Hope that clears that up.
 Gabrobot
08-03-2003, 6:32 PM
Hmm maybe since crimes like murder and "theft" which is odd you mention "theft", because that's what this post is about. lol These things still happen so maybe you should just give up on living and throw in the towel. At least before someone stills all your crap and shoots you. That's from your point of view I will stick to my own thanks. ;)

Ever heard of sarcasm? :rolleyes:
 Cosmos Jack
08-03-2003, 6:33 PM
And how many people from Enron have been given jail sentences to date? Oh right-NOT ONE: The goverment has more important things to do then handle software pirates. If nothing has happened with ENRON do you really think they give a rats AS@ about the computer game industry?

Thank you to the ones who gave helpful replies. I just hate pirating, because yes, it does hurt the gaming industry.
One of the sites was made just for the purpose of distributing the beta and had over 200 downloads when I looked. It was being advertised on the Zone, and multiple games were playing it.
Anyway, I've sent e-mails to both Ravensoft and LucasArts. Here's hoping both sites get shut down. :D

Helpful replies lol.... Shut them down there is 100 more that you don't know about good luck on your crusade. ;) Like I said before 9 out of 10 of the people who DL this beta game wouldn't have bought it in the 1st place. 2nd these people are also going to be the ones DLing the full release version when the game comes out. For example you can get JKO online if you want. I purchased mine, but not everyone wants the game enough to buy it and they will fined away around having to do that. If reporting them makes you feel better than more power to you.

If you really want to feel heroic why don't you go bust some druggies and report them to the cops.... Oh wait a minute I wonder how many people here on this forum do illegal drugs of some kind, but are crying about pirated buggy beta games?

I'm sure some of you would argue the marijuana should be legal lol, but because you have a different point of view than the government doesn't make you legal. Isn't that kind of hypocritical?

I'm personally going to buy the release game when it comes out. JKO was a game worth buying so I will hope JKA is too, but Oh well.....
 Reprehence
08-03-2003, 6:55 PM
I'm wondering whether this thread is actually on topic? If people don't want warez and gamez mentioned here because they wish to maintain a good relationship with the developer is one thing - and is up to the moderators - but if this is going to develop into a full blown thread about sw piracy and intellectual property in general there are more than simply market considerations to think about - such as the seemingly inate nature of information to spread regardless of the kind of regulations we try to put on it.
 Emon
08-03-2003, 7:29 PM
You're right. I forgot about those whacky Canadian, Australlian and Europeon spellings.
 Rockstar
08-04-2003, 12:55 AM
the fine is fair!! you deserve to go to jail if you decide to risk creating a website violating WESTERN law! nobody made them put it on their site. they deserve what comes their way.

and as for those who say "who would buy it when its free"? if people didn't buy JO there would be no JA for you to dl for nothing. if you were a jedi true and a SW fan you would buy it to support the lucas arts community. im not saying you have to buy everything, but if you like a game so much you are on the discussion boards before its release, you are obviously interested in it, thus you should show your support to the game makers.

the underlying thing here: if theres no more Jedi Knight games, you can't complain

those who are buying, may the force be with you :p

You're right. I forgot about those whacky Canadian, Australlian and Europeon spellings.
thats typical american arogance. MORE people spell it that way. YOU are the wacky ones lol...
 Emon
08-04-2003, 1:40 AM
It's not arrogance, I just think it's whacky, mainly because it doesn't make much sense.
 HertogJan
08-04-2003, 7:40 AM
It's not arrogance, I just think it's whacky, mainly because it doesn't make much sense.

Chill out ~Truthful
 txa1265
08-04-2003, 8:56 AM
Anyway, regardless of any potential fines and whether or not they are applied, and regardless of what may or may not happen to Enron, Martha Stuart or whatever ... there is the matter of this leaked and now pirated beta version of Jedi Academy, and about reportng people and sites related to that.

Why do I not want the illegal beta as a subject here:

- It represents piracy.

- Piracy impacts the success of a game, which in turn impacts the publisher, which in turn impacts the developer, which in turn impacts us gamers.

- How? Say the gross profit drops from 25% to 20% per copy due entirely to piracy. A company like LucasArts or Raven has a business model related to income and expense, like any company. If they are getting less income due to piracy, they will have to limit expense. This could mean layoffs, or cutting projects. But often it means limiting - or at least tightly controlling - scope and expenses on a given project. So while having meaningful secret areas may mean something to us, and may have been a goal for Raven, it may well be that due to pirating of JKII they don't have the cash in this project to expend the man-hours needed to do it. So the gaming industry may have pirated itself out of any future games like Deus Ex or Jedi Knight ...

- People who pirate have already shown a willingness to disregard rules. Why should we think they should follow the rules the rest of us follow on these boards? Indeed, many of them have been flouting their copies about here, pointing out features and things like that, not using spoiler tags, inserting spoilers into existing threads. If I thought they would respect the rest of the board, I would say 'make a beta thread', and I'd stay away. But they have been unable to refrain from inserting spoilers all over the place.

- There is a difference between rumors and spoilers. Rumors have been around, and we've heard things tthrough interviews, etc, but many of us don't want to know first-hand details of the game from a real gamer perspective, especially areas LA/Raven have chosen not to disclose, until we play it ourselves/

Mike
 toms
08-04-2003, 12:27 PM
hey. i agree with everything you just said. However, on the scale of risks to legality and the general well-being of the public i would rank the RIAA way above pirates. At least pirates don't have billions of dollars, senators in their pockets and the seeming ability to get unconstitutional, draconian laws passed at will just on their word alone.

I'd pay money to see them get taken down a peg or two...
 txa1265
08-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by toms
hey. i agree with everything you just said. However, on the scale of risks to legality and the general well-being of the public i would rank the RIAA way above pirates. At least pirates don't have billions of dollars, senators in their pockets and the seeming ability to get unconstitutional, draconian laws passed at will just on their word alone.

I'd pay money to see them get taken down a peg or two...

While that may be true ... think of it this way.

- The right to organize into an association is protected, and that should include everyone.

- Companies have the right to expect that they can sell products without having them stolen, and should also have the right to strongly prosecute those violating laws protecting theft of those products. And while I don't want to see 8 year olds in cuffs for downloading 'Oops I did it again', if someone has downloaded 30GB of music, 7500 songs by iPod math, or about 750 CD's worth - a retail value of >$10,000 ... should their punishment not be proportionate to someone who has stolen >$10,000 of merchandise?

Just in case anyone thinks I'm a RIAA patsy:
- I remember when CD's first came out, and I was paying $15, a premium over albums and tapes, but the word was that costs would come down over time ... we know that costs have come WAY down, but my wife was remarking while looking at the (Apple) iTunes music store that sells CD's for $9.99 each at how 'cheap' it was ... I agreed for a minute ...
- What the RIAA are doing, and what Sony have done, could have been largely avoided had they helped create something like the iTunes music store 5 years ago. The ability to preview music, and buy it by the song is a great thing. INSTEAD, they have entrenched themselves, denied anything was happening, and allowed this horrible black market to grow, bringing with it the 'new digital morality' that I have been thrashing against here with the 'beta warez' apologists.

Mike
 The Count
08-05-2003, 12:08 AM
It doesn't matter but considering the English language originated from England (well duh) and I am a resident of England I believe that offence is the true spelling of the word, however I suppose cultural relativism allows for variations of the word from the language which America adopted from England, so Emon was technically right in thinking that offense was only way to spell it, as that is all he's known to spell it, its not arrogancy, its not knowing any better about how other people spell it.

Anyway this is compeltely irrelevant, lets get back on to the topic of how to report something (I'm all up for it now because I've got my Beta copy JOKING)
 Cosmos Jack
08-05-2003, 3:41 AM
Originally posted by Count Dooku
language which America adopted from England

We didn't adopt the language. Our ancestors were English and it has past down to us. It has been changed and modified by Americans along the way. Language evolves threw time. Americans don't speak British English we speak American English. It's ours you can spell your words how you like and we will be spelling words how we like.:p

No county can own the rights to a language. I don't see England getting a copyright law on the English language any time soon sorry.;)
 Kurgan
08-05-2003, 4:54 AM
Moral or ethical or not it (warez/piracy) still doesn't fly here.

There are a lot of places you can report piracy if that's what you want to do. Don't post the links here, they will be deleted and could lead to banning.

Instead, you can try calling the SPA (1-800-SPA-PIR8 something like that) or the IDSA. They handle that kind of thing.

Our goal isn't to stop all piracy, that's beyond our powers. Rather our goal is to remove the trolls who seek to promote it so blatantly on our site.

They are ALREADY WARNED, and are without excuse.

I agree that a keyserver is a good idea for Jedi Academy, however this was an unfinished product that was stolen, and thus couldn't have been expected to have the same level of protection that a fully robust commercial product would have. Thus people can't say 'well since it didn't have a cd key then it's okay to pirate it.'

People who one would think were smarter are registering and ignoring our rules, even after being warned again and again. This, we do not take kindy to.

PS - I'm still on vacation, but that doesn't mean I haven't stopped watching... ; )
 Andy867
08-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Actually, if you email me @ dmccarthy100@charter.net I am collecting all valid links to warez and am them emailing them to Kenn Hoekstra who in turn, is going to pass them on to the Activision lawyers who will then shut down the websites.
Page: 1 of 1