Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jediism?

Page: 1 of 2
 C'jais
08-01-2003, 9:13 AM
http://www.jediism.org/)

Does it have merit as a real religion?

Can art be spiritual?

What's the difference between Jediism and other religions?

Discuss?
 griff38
08-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Well new religions have to start somewhere. Why not with a fiction based fantasy?

All the other religions are based on fiction. OOPS, sorry.

Joseph Campbell (http://www.jcf.org/about_jc.php) Gave major props to Lucas for offering a modern format for humans to experience all the emotions generated by devotion to a Higher ideal. IE Religion.
 Homuncul
08-01-2003, 1:19 PM
No difference between other religions. It's also based on ideas long roaming the earth, propogaded by Heinlein, Azimov, Lem and man others. It also has a connection to other religions and many followers all over the world, making it a world religion. It has rituals in it like quote-of-quotes: "And may the force be with you". It has a book with commandments (just they're written in different form than in Bible). Jediism is more valid than many other cults

What more.....

Oh yeah, it's based on faith in Force providence. I'm much more for Jediism than for Christianity.
 shukrallah
08-01-2003, 8:03 PM
Yeah, ive talked with some of them... strangly enough.

It was a funny story, i clicked religions to see what religious chat rooms would come up (in the yahoo instant messanger) and i saw one called Jedi's Temple.. .so i thought cool i can talk about star wars and stuff in there, and it must be christian since its in the christian section. I went in, said hey, they said hi. Then i said anyone play jk2, and then it got quiet... was kind of weird... then they start typing lol stuff like that. They had the game, but then they explained why the chat room was there, i thought it was a joke and told em it was just a movie. They even gave me that link. As it turns out, it has nothing to do with Jedi.. or anything else. It has something to do with a religion called Chi, what ever that is :confused: Heard its something to do with demons and stuff, so im staying out of it :) They said goerge lucas got the idea from this and the whole idea is stolen :confused: I was really confused in the end. I even got most of the convo O_O i dont have the beginning though... for some reason it didnt copy when i hit ctrl C. :| ill just post a tiny peice O_O and edit there names
(if its not allowed then tell me ;) but im sure i saw a convo posted in the swamp one time) and that guy2 didnt believe them.

lukeskywalker1: it was a movie!!!!!! i like star wars also, look, the force was made up in 1975, by george lucas, then the original movie was relesed in 1977....
lukeskywalker1: how do u know the force?????
GUY1: I'm curious, is a padawan any level except Jedi Master (I was reading the ranks on jediism.com)
GUY2 joined the room
lukeskywalker1: do u worship the force?
chi_mystic_40: no
lukeskywalker1: so what do u do?
GUY2: is this real?
lukeskywalker1: what?
GUY3: you breathe
lukeskywalker1: yeah
GUY3: yes
lukeskywalker1: that has nothing to do with star wars, or the force....
GUY2: crazy fool
GUY2: s
GUY2: ok
GUY2: what ever
GUY3: I can send you instructions but i don't feal like teaching today i am sick
GUY2: jedis arnt real
lukeskywalker1: yeah they are crazy arent they, or were u talking about me?
lukeskywalker1: the force isnt real, for some reason they think it is....
GUY1: www.jediism.com)
GUY2: HAHAHAHa
GUY2: the ultimate fan dillusion
GUY2: hey fool
lukeskywalker1: yeah i laughed some too.... i like star wars, but i know its just a few movies....
GUY3: luke i can send you instructions
GUY2: you cant even enter with out a pass word
lukeskywalker1: i dont want instructions, its all made up!!!!
GUY3: forget it
GUY3: your right
lukeskywalker1: use the force, come on
GUY2: yea he is
GUY1: remember to treat this room with respect...please...
GUY2: lol
GUY3: so why bother me
GUY2: yea mind trick me
lukeskywalker1: use it, what can u do?
lukeskywalker1: im not disrespecting the room....
GUY3:
GUY1: no, I'm mostly talking to GUY2
GUY2: just get an imagination
GUY2: if your gona believe in this **** dont base it on a movie
lukeskywalker1: yeah....
lukeskywalker1: anyone can make up there own religion....
GUY3: mama a closed mind can do nothing
GUY1: ty chi
lukeskywalker1: closed mind....
GUY2: yea well you mind cant do nothin either
GUY3: your right
lukeskywalker1: u have a closed mind, there is only one true religion, but its got nothing to do with star wars.....
lukeskywalker1: i never thought anyone actually believed in the force...lol
GUY2: luke
lukeskywalker1: what
GUY2: its fan geeks going to an extreem
lukeskywalker1: yeah i know
GUY3: GUY2 I'm not a starwars fan at all
GUY2 left the room
lukeskywalker1: really, how do u beleive in the force then...
GUY3: I told you
GUY3: chi is a name for the force
GUY3: I am a martial artist
GUY3: chi is the force
GUY3: has many names
GUY3: ki qi
lukeskywalker1: what is chi? what are u tlaking about....
GUY3: prana
GUY3: chi is the life force in us
lukeskywalker1: our spirit....
lukeskywalker1: soul
GUY3: look up chi in search engines
lukeskywalker1: ?
lukeskywalker1: umm, does it have anything to do with star wars....
GUY3: I practice chi kung
GUY3: no
lukeskywalker1: or the FORCE form the movie....
GUY3: the force in the movie is chi
GUY4: I'm back, folks.
lukeskywalker1: no the force in the movie, is the force, its not real....
GUY3: I believe about the same
lukeskywalker1: so u think ur a jedi, wheres ur saber?
GUY3: to those who don't understand it is not real
lukeskywalker1: then what are u talking about.....
GUY3: do you believe in the holy spirit?
lukeskywalker1: yeah
GUY3: me 2
lukeskywalker1: christianity, but not star wars....
GUY1: greetings GUY4
GUY3: is chi
GUY3: I am a christian
lukeskywalker1: no its the holy spirit....u can t change God's word and call it something else
GUY4: oh, this is something.
GUY3:
GUY4: hi, ain_akh.... what's your name signify?
lukeskywalker1: so what religion is this based on?
GUY3: ok go back to what you weill I give up
lukeskywalker1: oh ok
GUY4: religion? who says it's a religion?
lukeskywalker1: Jedi's Temple, sounds like a religion to me...
GUY3: did jesus tell hes desciples to pester those that they couldn't understand?
GUY4: the art of turning fossil fuels into hemi-powered monsters with holly carbs is not a religion....it's a science.
GUY1: do you know hebrew?
lukeskywalker1: no he helped them....
lukeskywalker1: no i dont know hebrew
GUY3: ruach
GUY4: no, just a few phrases from my christian days.
GUY4: we were kinda supposed to learn hebrew, as good christians, you know.
lukeskywalker1: im a christian
GUY4: eli eli labachthani.
lukeskywalker1: it says that in the bible?
lukeskywalker1: where?
GUY4: luke....says "what" in the bible?
lukeskywalker1: i follow the bible, not some jedism thing.....
GUY4: it's not jedi-ism.
GUY3: then why luke are you here?
lukeskywalker1: i was talking about the hebrew thing u said, we are supposed to learn hebrew,
GUY4: jedi clampett was an old-time prophet. ha ha ha.
lukeskywalker1: whatever u are talking about
GUY3: lol
GUY1: generic, my name means : nothing but to make-yield truth.
lukeskywalker1: i was looking for a chrstian chat room, to spread od's word
lukeskywalker1: i mean God's word
lukeskywalker1: but i came here because i saw jedi in the name, and thought i could talk about some star wars stuff
GUY3: maybe you should know his spirit first
lukeskywalker1: 'i do, but where is it called chi?
GUY4: you know, luke...some old time pentecostals think "chi" and prana are satanic.....how bad that sucks.

anyways... was weird ;) i hope i got everyones name out

it was freaky. if im not allowed to post convos from chat rooms let me know and ill deleted my post ;) thanks
ok... and it appears it was jediism.com :|
you said .ORG... might be the same site.. i dont know
 Writer
08-01-2003, 9:09 PM
OK, I'm a Christian and for some reason, that conversation just completely freaked me out. I'm beginning to feel the same way about this as I did about my family wanting to watch Harry Potter movies. I feel sorry that people are interested in this.

I feel that Christianity is not religion. Rather, it is a relationship with God's son, Jesus. In that sense, how can Jediism be the same religion when they don't even mention Jesus, let alone admit to a relationship?
 shukrallah
08-02-2003, 12:17 AM
well said. i was really confused at the end of it. yeah they said some weird things... :|

anyways, that chi thing is really sort of like harry potter. Witchcraft, except chi involves something with demons, looks like it has come back and renamed itself jediism. Really, i go on to the christian chat rooms to bring people to christ. I saw that jedi's temple, and thought it would be kool to talk about star wars...

Anyways, youd be surprised, harry potter is sort of true, a fictional story based on true things. Witchcraft is real. The auther, whatever the womans name is, said herself, if you want to write about evil, then go all the way. The spells are real, she just changed the words. Its all in latin, like the witchcraft spells, they conjure up demons and stuff like that. She knows it. And yes for all you people who dont know, there are witches out there, they have there own religion and all that other stuff. Ive seen em, as much as it looks dumb.. its real. I saw em like walking around in circles around something, throwing flowers down.. i dont know what they were doing... and i dont want to.

I feel that Christianity is not religion. Rather, it is a relationship with God's son, Jesus. In that sense, how can Jediism be the same religion when they don't even mention Jesus, let alone admit to a relationship?

Exacly right, it was so confusing. Ive never been more confused about anything than that. At first i thought it was just some star wars freaks, like that guy said, taking to seriously, but after he left and the convo kept going yhou could tell it was nothing at all to do with star wars, or the force... it was a force (demonic), not THE force (like in star wars, THE FORCE)
 Writer
08-02-2003, 3:19 PM
Anyways, youd be surprised, harry potter is sort of true

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

is real.

I know. The former Jr. High pastor at my church told a story about something like that. He and a friend of his went into a store that had something to do with or something like it with the hopes of sharing the truth. As soon as they walked through the door, the owner of the shop stopped everything he was doing and stared straight at them.

"I know who you guys are," he said. "You're Christians."

This tells me that, not only is real, but I have a feeling that the reason they can do what they do is because they are demon posessed. What else could pinpoint a Christian before he even speaks?
 shukrallah
08-02-2003, 5:31 PM
Yeah, cuase poeple dont have that power, but demons do. Sort of freaky.
 Lord Siraious
08-03-2003, 1:07 AM
So certain that if anyone has any powers what so ever that they are posessed by demons are yous. Why couldn't have God/ God's/Universe have given people those powers. People are too quick to judge. Not everything can be explained that way.

On Topic:
Well done to these people if they can live to serve the Greater Good. Really who cares what others believe in as long as they dont try to force others to believe what they do.
 El Sitherino
08-03-2003, 1:37 AM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Yeah, cuase poeple dont have that power, but demons do. Sort of freaky. then that means... I HAVE POWERS!
*uses powers to do stuff*:)

anyways. i agree with what's his name up there, Lord Siraious, aslong as they do good things i could care less, and aslong as they don't come forcing me to believe what they do and interrupt my movies I'm cool with it.
 shukrallah
08-03-2003, 2:55 PM
So certain that if anyone has any powers what so ever that they are posessed by demons are yous. Why couldn't have God/ God's/Universe have given people those powers. People are too quick to judge. Not everything can be explained that way.

Im not judging, thats what this 'chi' religion is. And its on topic, because if you read the convo they say its called chi...

anyways. i agree with what's his name up there, Lord Siraious, aslong as they do good things i could care less, and aslong as they don't come forcing me to believe what they do and interrupt my movies I'm cool with it.

I think its more for self gain (im not sure) They told me it has nothing to do with the movies.
 C Shutt
08-04-2003, 7:57 AM
It isn't any stupider than Scientology.
 ShockV1.89
08-04-2003, 11:03 AM
I'm sorry, but if you call your religion "Jediism" and subscribe to understanding "The Force" and then try to say it isnt based on a movie....

:rolleyes:
 shukrallah
08-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Thats what they said O_O

and other things

lukeskywalker1: ok so is the force ur talking about from star wars, or something else....
lukeskywalker1: GUY6 these guys believe in the force from star wars...
GUY5: the force is just the power of a human who is in tune with the spiritual realms. look at the faith healers...they are in touch with god....through the holy spirit and through the lord.
GUY6: do you have proof the force does not exist?
GUY6: I can neithe proove it nor disproove it
GUY5: that's like saying god exists or not.
GUY5: atheists waste all kinds of time with that crap.
GUY5: it's pointless.
lukeskywalker1: it was a movie!!!!!!!!! prophets like paul, did miricles, through the holy spirit, God helped them, he gave them the stregnth to do that stuff....
GUY7: its been proven like the wind..
GUY6: well, atheists might say it, but it is still a fine question. one which nobody here has even tried to anwser, I might add.
lukeskywalker1: im not athiest...God doesnt say anything about the force, he doesnt say use the force u can heal people
GUY5: luke....it was a movie...yes. a work of fiction...yes.....but it has echoes of the possibilities for a human who is in tune with the force.
GUY5: luke...we're not talking about making a religion out of a movie, dude.
GUY7: dont call it force then.. call it chi.. or energy.. simple quantum mechanics
lukeskywalker1: the force is not real, god is real!!!
GUY5: quantum mechanics..yes.
GUY5: the art of turning fossil fuels into hemi-powered monsters with holly carbs is not a religion....it's a science.
GUY6 left the room
lukeskywalker1: what are u talking about?????? then why is this called jedi's temple, and why do u think u are jedis or something....use force lightning!!! zap me!
lukeskywalker1: where in the bible does it talk about chi?
GUY5: amigo....the bible does not mention chi.

I dont know... i dont get it
 Joetheeskimo
08-05-2003, 7:45 PM
0.O

Hah!! Ahahahahahahhahahahah

That's all I have to say about "Jediism".

j/k

....JEDIISM???!!! WTF IS THAT SPOSED TO BE? It's not just a "fiction based fantasy". Jedi, force, everything, was invented by George Lucas!! Who ever thought it would be a regligoin?! i think the world already has enough religions, thank you, and I don't want Jedi-robed preachers telling me about a completely fictional Force, and how I should learn its powers...blah blah blah.

holy MOLY! some people take movies WAY too seriously! :rolleyes:
 SkinWalker
08-06-2003, 4:33 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
i think the world already has enough religions, thank you, and I don't want Jedi-robed preachers telling me about a completely fictional Force,

There are some that would contend that this is what many, if not most, of the world's religions already do. Why not one that is more up-to-date with our times.... Islam, Budism, Hinduism, and christianity are out-of-date. Their doctrines were created in times of superstition and ignorance.

A new religion, based upon current knowledge might not be a bad thing. It would certainly have as much validity as any other. Unless of course you already subscribe to an "other."
 Writer
08-06-2003, 12:56 PM
holy MOLY! some people take WAY too seriously!

I completely agree. Did you know that, for vacation destinations, Mordor, Hogwarts, and other such fictional places rank pretty high up on the top searches list? I'd say that it's gone a little far.
 shukrallah
08-06-2003, 3:21 PM
Its not exaclty new skinwalker.
 Joetheeskimo
08-06-2003, 3:22 PM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
There are some that would contend that this is what many, if not most, of the world's religions already do. Why not one that is more up-to-date with our times.... Islam, Budism, Hinduism, and christianity are out-of-date. Their doctrines were created in times of superstition and ignorance.

A new religion, based upon current knowledge might not be a bad thing. It would certainly have as much validity as any other. Unless of course you already subscribe to an "other."

Maybe so, but I said, I would rather stick with the religions we have now, than have another superstitious religion to deal with!
 C'jais
08-06-2003, 5:42 PM
Maybe so, but I said, I would rather stick with the religions we have now, than have another superstitious religion to deal with!

Why? Because "It's gonna be too crowded"?

The more choice the better.

The less institutionalized and more personal, the better.
 El Sitherino
08-06-2003, 9:03 PM

A new religion, based upon current knowledge might not be a bad thing. It would certainly have as much validity as any other. Unless of course you already subscribe to an "other." buddhism is a philosophy not a religion and also they have updated it consistently. i have a book beside me right now that's basically buddhism 2003. :)

hell the dalai lama uses a computer. he basically asks all buddhist communities to update there scriptures to the current year, and he does it each year.

just thought i'd let you in. but then again like any other group there are the old world people. so yeah.
 Captain Wilson
08-07-2003, 2:10 AM
seems ok to me. No more stupid then any other religion
and the idea of chi been round a hell of a lot longer then Star wars
 SkinWalker
08-07-2003, 4:46 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
buddhism is a philosophy not a religion and also they have updated it consistently. i have a book beside me right now that's basically buddhism 2003. :)

I'm actually quite a fan of Buddism.... but it is accepted the world over as a "religion." I guess one could argue that there is a fine line that separates a religion from a philosophy. More likely, religion is a subset of philosophy.
 ShadowTemplar
08-07-2003, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by wildjedi
OK, I'm a Christian and for some reason, that conversation just completely freaked me out. I'm beginning to feel the same way about this as I did about my family wanting to watch Harry Potter movies. I feel sorry that people are interested in this.

Why would you have a problem with Harry Potter (a better selling book series than the King James Bible, according to the Herald Tribune). OK, I'll concede that the first two or three books are for 11-13yr-olds, but that's actually what they are marketed as. But the universe really expands enormously, and gets increasingly gothic... Anyway, the films aren't that great, but why would anyone be opposed to them? If you don't want to spend 10Ђ watching them, then don't, right. Welcome to the free market.

Anyways, youd be surprised, harry potter is sort of true

Huh? True? It has a couple of references to the post-WWII/Glasnost cleanups, a little foreign politics, and is a big parody of a boarding school novel, but beyond that?

I know. The former Jr. High pastor at my church told a story about something like that. He and a friend of his went into a store that had something to do with or something like it with the hopes of sharing the truth. As soon as they walked through the door, the owner of the shop stopped everything he was doing and stared straight at them.

"I know who you guys are," he said. "You're Christians."

This tells me that, not only is real, but I have a feeling that the reason they can do what they do is because they are demon posessed. What else could pinpoint a Christian before he even speaks?

Oh Please! There are three kinds of people who come into an RPG/GW store: 1) People who play RPG/GW. 2) People who are there to buy gifts for people who play RPG/GW, but who know squat about it themselves. 3) Preachers.

1) These move about like they know what they are doing (because they do).

2) These fret about, trying to decide whether to ask for help from the staff and/or take crumpled notes out of their pockets/bags, and try to decipher someone's handwriting.

3) These are a pain in the arse.

You do the math.

Oh, and on topic:

Sure, of course Jediism can be a religion. It complies with all the neccesairy criteria, except that no-one has yet murdered anyone over it.

Oh, and speaking of 'artificial' religions:

Thought for the day: The Emperor's light is your torch, use it to destroy the shadows.
 El Sitherino
08-07-2003, 4:37 PM
I'm actually quite a fan of Buddism.... but it is accepted the world over as a "religion." I guess one could argue that there is a fine line that separates a religion from a philosophy. More likely, religion is a subset of philosophy. well buddhism is more of a philosophical lifestyle, true it is accepted as a religion though technically it isn't. but I understand what you are saying. oh and theres a rather good book i found called the buddhist handbook. they did a pretty decent job of expressing buddhism.
 Joetheeskimo
08-07-2003, 4:53 PM
Why would you have a problem with Harry Potter (a better selling book series than the King James Bible, according to the Herald Tribune).

The reason it's so best selling is because it has witchcraft and magic, which the world loves. J.K. Rowling plainly expresses her anti-Christ attitude.

Sure, Lord of of the Rings also has magic and evil, but it shows the way the world works, how good will win in the end. But Harry Potter is withcraft and evil, and some good characters are cruel and traitorous.
 El Sitherino
08-07-2003, 7:12 PM
The reason it's so best selling is because it has witchcraft and magic, which the world loves. J.K. Rowling plainly expresses her anti-Christ attitude.

Sure, Lord of of the Rings also has magic and evil, but it shows the way the world works, how good will win in the end. But Harry Potter is withcraft and evil, and some good characters are cruel and traitorous. what the hell are you talking about?
uhmm... what you say makes absolutely no sense.
 shukrallah
08-07-2003, 8:15 PM
lol, sith. You really dont get it.

a better selling book series than the King James Bible, according to the Herald Tribune

That matters because?

Huh? True? It has a couple of references to the post-WWII/Glasnost cleanups, a little foreign politics, and is a big parody of a boarding school novel, but beyond that?

Dude, harry potter is a member of a religion. The books talk about the religion.

it is accepted as a religion though technically it isn't.

Same with christianity ;) relationship with Jesus.

seems ok to me. No more stupid then any other religion
and the idea of chi been round a hell of a lot longer then Star wars

Thats obvious ;) Just renamed Jediism.
 SkinWalker
08-08-2003, 2:27 AM

This clearly would fit in with the "why... bash christianity?" thread.... because christians get hyped up about this kind of thing. There is no more a reality to "witchcraft and magic" than with "virgin birth," "walking on water," and "healing the blind." Christians get bothered when a fictional hero displays some magic that their so-called messiah should have exclusive rights to.

One fictional character is "one-upping" the other. If christ existed he was a man. No magic. No god. No supernatural gift. Just superstition and belief.

If you don't like Harry Potter, don't read it. At least kids are showing a desire to read with the Harry Potter craze... They spend less time in front of the television and more time with reading and comprehension. This is probably the real reason fundamentalist christians have an issue with HP... kids won't read a 2000 year old work of fiction, but they will one from the year 2000.
 Homuncul
08-08-2003, 3:44 AM
"walking on water,"

I heard that a story of how Christ walked the watr. He was a carpenter's son and I might say Abraham was atlent. When Christ was a boy, he made him wooden shoes. But he messed it up cauze he wanted Jesus to wear them for all of his life. So he made them quite large. In fact they were so large they could easily be called wooden flippers. So when Christ walked the water he was actually using these light wooden flippers. The problem with them was that he couldn't just stay in one place while doing it, so he actually had to run with the speed of Ferrari not to drown. Run Forest,.... RRRRUUUUNNNN FFFFOOOORRRRRREEESSSTTT!:D
 C'jais
08-08-2003, 5:23 AM
Dude, harry potter is a member of a religion. The books talk about the religion.

So what? Is any other religion than Christianity your enemy? Even if HP was a member of another religion, it's not your damn business to try and "save" kids reading the damn book. No, they cannot practice magic and "witchcraft" because they read it.

Imagine if 2000 years from now, HP would become the most important religion. HP can do magic and save people. Why is that different from Christianity? It's fiction - one and the same.

Same with christianity ;) relationship with Jesus.

Yes, and I have a relationship with my teddy bear. The difference? None. Is it magic if it talks to me? No. It's a relationship.

Call it whatever you damn well want. It's still religion.

Thats obvious ;) Just renamed Jediism.

Now you're misrepresenting the idea of Chi with your demon talk again. It has nothing to do with demons. Nothing.

Get Homuncul to explain it for you, if he wants to. He knows more about it than I do anyway.
 ShadowTemplar
08-08-2003, 5:56 AM
The reason it's so best selling is because it has witchcraft and magic, which the world loves.

Not relevant.

J.K. Rowling plainly expresses her anti-Christ attitude.

Not once in over 1500 pages does any one anti-religious sentence appear. Nor for that matter any pro-religious sentence. That is simply a subject that those books do not touch upon.

Sure, Lord of of the Rings also has magic and evil, but it shows the way the world works, how good will win in the end.

It will, eh? Then why don't you stop using your faith like a blunt instrument. When it's gonna be a happy ending anyway, why do you bother? Clearly you don't even believe what you post yourself.

But Harry Potter is withcraft and evil, and some good characters are cruel and traitorous.

Have you read the books? How do you know anything about the characters? Just because the bad guys have names, and aren't just 'Orc 1423', it doesn't mean that they are described as being good. Actually, having the 'heroes' do bad things and have bad motives, and having the 'villains' do good things and have good motives, occationally, is a mark of quality.

That matters because?

Because you keep telling me that the Bible is oh-so-good, because it's the best selling book ever. Not only is it horse droppings, but it's not even correct anymore.

Oh. I must have missed it. Would you please name it, so that I can look for it next time I read the series cover-to-cover?

Same with christianity relationship with Jesus.

No. Buddism is not a religion, because it does not contain reference to supernatural beings. Christianity is a religion (a religion is an organized (check), ritualized (check) worship (check) of one or more supernatural beings (check)). Q. e. d.
 ninja
08-08-2003, 6:03 AM
i dont know but for some reason i kinda see jedi's as kinda like futuristic samurai's. they wear like the asian style cloths and what else they carry blades.

and also come on people lets not get into the subject of bashing other peoples religions, i mean theres some things i can say about every religion but then i would get flamed. all that counts is that whatever religion you choose if you have chose, whatever it may be, if it makes you a better person then go for it. the topic is what jediism is about really correct?
 Homuncul
08-08-2003, 10:55 AM
C'Jais:
Now you're misrepresenting the idea of Chi with your demon talk again. It has nothing to do with demons. Nothing.

Get Homuncul to explain it for you, if he wants to. He knows more about it than I do anyway.

Yeah! Man! I doo....... ah..... I forgot....what I wanted to say

Well no I didn't. I wear glasses and only got to read a couple of sentences from Luke's post about chatting with chi-men. Luke, look, it was all a big joke. They were just kidding, Qi is great and it has much more to do with philosofy than religion.

I wonder if ninja came here by the call of chi. Hail ya, noble samurai. I'm one of your kind. I'm not only agreed with what you say: "...all that counts is that whatever religion you choose if you have chose, whatever it may be, if it makes you a better person then go for it" .

Religion is basically about dictatorship and some superstitious rituals and worship. You as ninja should know better the meaning of a ritual. This is not the way at all.

About chi. If it really was The Chi then it's a central point of all chinese philosophy. And in my own experience it has nothing to do with religion at all.

The vital force that is seen to course through all of us is known as "Chee," "Chi" or "Qi" in Chinese and "Ki" in Japanese. There is no exact meaning or definition of this concept as it encompasses more than just vital force "everything in the universe, organic and inorganic, is composed of and defined by its Qi

Qi is divided into the opposites of yin (negative) and yang (positive). "Polarity is the most pervasive principle of the manifest material universe, providing the boundless dynamic force which makes the world go round" (1994, Reid 24)."Without polarity material worlds and physical bodies could not exist, and without polar fields energy could not function, essence could not take form, and the rhythmic cycles of nature could not transpire" (24). However, "there are no absolutes" and "yin and yang must, necessarily, contain within themselves the possibility of opposition and change" (1983, Kaptchuk 8). Thus, the Chinese "hypothesized the principles of Yin and Yang as the major philosophical counterparts revealing the phenomena of nature" (1986, Shen 134). "From these principles, three systems were derived: the five elements (wood, fire, earth, metal, water), the Zang Fu (internal organs), and the meridian system" (134). I can post a bit on this but I guess it's worth a book to read.

Many exercises are known as "Qigong" or "Chee Kung" in Chinese and "Kiko" or "Ki Atsu" in Japanese and have much in common with Indian Yoga. There are Ki healers, Ki warriors such as martial artists (ushu and jiujutsu are bases for chinese and japanese martial arts)

Many of the most skeptical Western researchers explain the benefits of Qi exercises, without using the foreign concept Qi, as follows:

Since such excercises generally include a mixture of low-impact isometrics and stretching exercises, the physical health benefits should be obvious. As for mental and spiritual benefits, these can be explained in two ways. One is the simple fact that regular exercise is good for one's mind and promotes a feeling of physical well- being. More interesting perhaps is the proved effect that meditative-type mental- relaxation excercises can have on one's health. It has been proved that if one forces one's mind to relax, then one's blood pressure, respiratory rate, and so on, are reduced.

the famous quote of Arthur C. Clarke is relevant here. It looks like magic what ki healers do, or great masters of martial art. And due to the preference to different experience people are divided in those who consider it a religion and those who consider it just physics of our body and of our universe. Either way it's one of the most rational (even with religion Qi cauze these rituals are all based on meditation and all) known way to perfect yourself in the world. It's not even questioneable till this moment

Mostly I talked to masters who do not consider it to be religious aspect and being magical at all. No demons here of course. The whole Jediism is a religion based on Qi concept.

The Qi = The Force. Samurai = Jedi Knights.
 ninja
08-08-2003, 7:55 PM
well i know more or less about the chi and ki stuff. everything i'm about to say is mixed up in different peices in my head so i hope this comes out right. but i know budhism plays a part in japanese history. and i also look at the chinese fighting monks. if i'm correct both japanese samurai's and chinese fighting monks believe in whats called ZEN Budhism. my family are budhists, i guess the ones that are the regular budhists. i think zen budhism came from by protecting the people from being slaughtered from what i remember from invasions and stuff. but budhism is very deep and i dont wanna comment on it really. so i guess jedi's could have derived from all of that. lol maybe george lucas is a budhist.
 Thrackan Solo
08-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Because you keep telling me that the Bible is oh-so-good, because it's the best selling book ever. Not only is it horse droppings, but it's not even correct anymore.

WHY DOES EVERY FREAKING DANG POST IN THIS FORUM TURN INTO A CHRISTIAN BASHING THREAD?:mad:

I am tired of coming here and all the threads turning into "Lets Bash the Christians"

Not all Christians feel the same way about Harry Potter.

And this thread is about Jediism not Christianity so whoever keeps playing the "Its better than Christianity" card , please stop.
 SkinWalker
08-09-2003, 2:22 AM
Originally posted by Thrackan Solo
[BAnd this thread is about Jediism not Christianity so whoever keeps playing the "Its better than Christianity" card , please stop. [/B]

Ironically enough, it was from a LF member who's screen name is LukeSkywalker... and his conversation between two guys named Guy. :cool:
 shukrallah
08-09-2003, 3:26 AM
ROFL... 5 guys named GUY ;)

actually, read the post before my first post

Oh yeah, it's based on faith in Force providence. I'm much more for Jediism than for Christianity.

Homoncul said that. Anyways, i barley mentioned christianity in my convo (at least the parts i posted)

lol maybe george lucas is a budhist.

Heard he had a protestant backround. But i dont know a thing about protestants, i plan to check out what they believe later. I know its some sort of christian denomination.

Not once in over 1500 pages does any one anti-religious sentence appear. Nor for that matter any pro-religious sentence. That is simply a subject that those books do not touch upon.

Its not in the books, but she has publically, or privatly.. well she has said that she doesnt support christianity at all.

It will, eh? Then why don't you stop using your faith like a blunt instrument. When it's gonna be a happy ending anyway, why do you bother? Clearly you don't even believe what you post yourself.

its all perspective.

because it's the best selling book ever.

You said KJV, what about NIV, NCV, and the living bible? Put all versions together, and im sure it outsells HP.

Oh. I must have missed it. Would you please name it, so that I can look for it next time I read the series cover-to-cover?

Its not in the books. The religion is simple called witchcraft. Yes, witchcraft is considered a religion today. And HP is obviousy witchcraft, because well.. .he is a male witch or sorcerer (spelling :p ) whatever you call it.

The woman herself has admitted the spells are real, and she just made up words to replace the latin in the books.

Actually, having the 'heroes' do bad things and have bad motives, and having the 'villains' do good things and have good motives, occationally, is a mark of quality.

But heroes do good, and villians do bad. Make the villian do good, and the heros do bad, switches the roles, which makes the villian, the hero, and the hero the villian.
 Eldritch
08-09-2003, 3:58 AM

Let me preface my response by saying I don't want to spark another huge war, but I feel compelled to say something, because what you said just doesn't sit well with me.

1. You condone Star Wars yet Harry Potter is something that your family should avoid?

2. Jediism isn't the same religion - that's kind of the point. It doesn't have to mention Jesus (or any kind of relationship with him or his Daddy) to qualify as a religion. There is more than just Christianity out there... hard as that may be for you to accept.

3. You feel Christianity is not a religion, but a relationship with God's son, Jesus. You did say you were a Christian earlier though, so I say that holds you to the tenants of Christianity. As such, who are you to interpret the bible (and it's message) to suit your whims or your personally beliefs? By not following what the Bible says (you already have your own ideas about things), wouldn't that make you some kind of heretic?

Why can you create your own unique religion (since it's obviously not Christian) but others aren't free to do the same? Seems a little egotistic to assume that you're the only one that can create a new belief system.

EDIT: Ahh, now I remember why I stopped coming to the Senate. Too many closed-minded folk. How can new ideas be formed and developed if they cannot be freely discussed? I'm not trying to make some sweeping general statement, but many of the religious people (not all) are interested in keeping the world small, manageable, and familiar.
That's all well and good if you want to stay right where you are, but if you ever want to advance you might want to widen the lense and pan out a bit to catch some of the bigger picture.
There's a whole wide world out there when you're ready to come out of "Plato's cave."
 ShockV1.89
08-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Eldritch

There's a whole wide world out there when you're ready to come out of "Plato's cave."
Best... quote... ever...
 Writer
08-09-2003, 3:14 PM
1. You condone Star Wars yet Harry Potter is something that your family should avoid?

I didn't say anything about Star Wars. There are some things in there that I can't agree with.

2. Jediism isn't the same religion - that's kind of the point. It doesn't have to mention Jesus (or any kind of relationship with him or his Daddy) to qualify as a religion. There is more than just Christianity out there... hard as that may be for you to accept.

That was my point. In the conversations that lukeskywalker1 had with those guys, one of them said that it was the same. I was just saying it's not.

I know full well that there are other things besides Christianity. Where did you get the idea that I feel Christianity is the only thing?

3. You feel Christianity is not a religion, but a relationship with God's son, Jesus. You did say you were a Christian earlier though, so I say that holds you to the tenants of Christianity. As such, who are you to interpret the bible (and it's message) to suit your whims or your personally beliefs? By not following what the Bible says (you already have your own ideas about things), wouldn't that make you some kind of heretic?

Interpret the Bible? Where did I do that?

As for suiting my whims and personal beliefs, I don't see how that could be true. Do you realize how many people agree with me? It's not because I'm some kind of super powerful person. It's because it's not my own ideas, but the realities of somebody more powerful than anything I could ever imagine. Many people I know would agree.
 Cosmos Jack
08-09-2003, 3:35 PM
As it turns out, it has nothing to do with Jedi.. or anything else. It has something to do with a religion called Chi, what ever that is :confused: Heard its something to do with demons and stuff, so im staying out of it :)
I have heard of this before a few years ago. They were doing a census and some people opted to put "Jedi" for there religion. LOL

Anyway if Jediism is really CHI than why go and call it Jediism? It's like they were thinking "DAM people take us to seriously we need to rename our beliefs so people will think we are silly."

I personally think it has nothing to do with Chi. While it might be similar in concept it's a coop out a way of making a excuse. It's no different from Trekkers Dressing up like Klingons and actually learning and knowing the language.

While I like Star Wars I'm not about to start preying to George Lucas any time soon. I'm surprised as law suit happy as Lucas is he hasn't nipped this in the bud. I guess he most look over it as sick fans that will be waiting in line at his next movie.

I hope Lucas D@Ms them all to hell lol
 ninja
08-09-2003, 4:41 PM
ok just drop it before adminstrators come in.
 Eldritch
08-09-2003, 8:30 PM
I didn't say anything about Star Wars. There are some things in there that I can't agree with.
You didn't say anything about Star Wars, but the fact that you are spending time on a Star Wars-related website is strong proof that you approve.
That was my point. In the conversations that lukeskywalker1 had with those guys, one of them said that it was the same. I was just saying it's not.
If you were just saying it's not, then I misunderstood you, and I apologize.
I know full well that there are other things besides Christianity. Where did you get the idea that I feel Christianity is the only thing?
From this statement, taken from your post, "[...] how can Jediism be the same religion when they don't even mention Jesus, let alone admit to a relationship?"
Seems like you're saying that all religions must mention Jesus (or have some sort of relationship with him) to be counted... I may be interpreting you wrong, though. Correct me if I am.
Interpret the Bible? Where did I do that?
Perhaps the fact that instead of accepting what the Bible says verbatim, you're applying your own thoughts and ideas to an already existing belief system. You say yourself you believe that it's a relationship with Jesus that matters, and are overlooking other factors that are unsuitable. Seems like interpretation to me.

As for suiting my whims and personal beliefs, I don't see how that could be true. Do you realize how many people agree with me? It's not because I'm some kind of super powerful person. It's because it's not my own ideas, but the realities of somebody more powerful than anything I could ever imagine. Many people I know would agree.
No, I don't realize how many people agree with you, but it's really irrelevant. More support does not necessarily equal truth.
I don't see how you're so sure of the "reality" of the beliefs you suggest, but it really has nothing to do with this thread.

The focus of the thread is Jediism. The fact that the name of the religion is taken from a sci-fi movie is irrelevant - their ideas share many similarities with Buddhism and other Eastern philosophies. To me, Jediism has as much a right to be taken seriously as any other belief system out there - perhaps not as a religion (technically speaking, it doesn't meet all the requirements for a religion), but as a philosophy it's right on.
 Shotokan
08-10-2003, 3:56 AM

Amen dude (not being sarcastic either. I am a Christian too in case you must know. :D)
 Writer
08-10-2003, 1:52 PM
Seems like you're saying that all religions must mention Jesus (or have some sort of relationship with him) to be counted.

Not at all. In the conversation between luke and the guys, one of them mentioned that Jediism was the same as Christianity. There are other religions out there with followers as devoted to them as I am to Christ. All I was saying is that Jediism is not the same.
 Thrackan Solo
08-10-2003, 10:10 PM
To me, Jediism has as much a right to be taken seriously as any other belief system out there - perhaps not as a religion (technically speaking, it doesn't meet all the requirements for a religion), but as a philosophy it's right on.

Thats the first smart thing i heard in this thread, it seems more like a idea to me than a religion, a.k.a philosophy.
 Homuncul
08-11-2003, 8:59 AM
Jediism fit every parameter to be called religion:

World View: Jediism world view united many religions. It's base is Zen Buddhism and Christianity

Rituals: "May the Force be with you" ritual, becoming one with the Force, crimation of Jedi after death.

Faith: worshipping the Force is central to a Jedi's life.

Book of books: Star Wars movies

Prophet: Lucas George

Commendments and Dogmas: Well you know all of them yourselves

Structure (Dictatorship): the head of the holy church Lucas himself is infallable in telling Star Wars stories. Even if somethings is not fit with something that he says, we just take it for granted. Propaganda is quite comparable with The Holy Church itself. You can buy a lightsaber handle or Vader's helmet and stuff almost anywhere in the world.

The other thing with Jediism is that it's imaginary utopian and in principle is more fit with today pop culture than perhaps again christianity. People follow it cauze it's simple. It only obliges you to say "and may the force be with you" at the end of every statement..... and may the force be with you. And it gives a great autotraining refering to yourself as a noble keeper of peace and justice in the galaxy.
 Joetheeskimo
08-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Homuncul

Book of books: Star Wars movies

Prophet: Lucas George

I thought that the guys Luke was talking with was saying jediism had nothing to do with Lucas or the Star Wars movies/books. So why are you saying that Lucas is their prophet and his movies are their "book of books"?
 Thrackan Solo
08-11-2003, 1:39 PM
I thought that the guys Luke was talking with was saying jediism had nothing to do with Lucas or the Star Wars movies/books. So why are you saying that Lucas is their prophet and his movies are their "book of books"?

Yeah on the website I saw nothing of George Lucas being a "prophet" or Star Wars Movies being like a "Bible."
Page: 1 of 2