Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi Academy Released!? (nope)

Page: 1 of 1
 Smood
07-30-2003, 1:37 PM
It looks like those damn pirates are already getting jedi academy! I have seen something called Jedi Academy 'pre-gold' from *edit* various sources.

Damn pirates!!!
 FK | unnamed
07-30-2003, 1:54 PM
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106970)

you may want to edit that second sentence out, kinda tells people what to do...
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 2:00 PM
All I can say is, report the users to LucasArts - give whatever details you can.

The problem is ... the people likely to be involved with places where you'd find these things, and therefore most likely to catch the pirates, are likely there for slightly less than legit reasons.

... or maybe I'm unaware of legit reasons for these binary servers / trading spots ...

Mike
 Hellfire Jedi
07-30-2003, 2:25 PM
From what I've read its a beta. Just buy the full you guys.
 Smood
07-30-2003, 2:33 PM
My intention was not to facilitate others in getting this. I just wanted to make the community and LUCASARTS aware of this terrible thing that is happening!
 Neverhoodian
07-30-2003, 3:44 PM
Gaming piracy has always been a problem, and this is a prime example. It's a travesty how the developers use expensive, state of the art programs to create the game, spend months, sometimes years, developing the game, and suddenly a pirate comes in and releases the game for free.:mad: I for one, will wait until the game comes out in stores and BUY the game to show my support for Ravensoft/Lucasarts, which will allow them to create more games for me to enjoy. Besides, an early beta version of the game will not be nearly as good as the final game. It's probably plagued with bugs, incomplete missions, nonfunctional weapons, etc. *sarcastic* Oh yeah, LOADS of fun.
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by Smood
My intention was not to facilitate others in getting this. I just wanted to make the community and LUCASARTS aware of this terrible thing that is happening!

I certainly didn't mean to imply that WAS your intent, just to say that we need to directly contact LA with this stuff, and give them info to help stop it.

Mike
 Stormtrooper X
07-30-2003, 4:03 PM
Unfortunately I have to say this is very possible, as I have been given two reasons to think that JA is finished.
 taekwondo joe
07-30-2003, 4:48 PM
hety well the game is not fineshed, simply becuase it comes out sep.16, thats a good month and a half away, they still have to search for bugs and balance stuff out, and give a good polish before they release it
 FK | unnamed
07-30-2003, 5:31 PM
the thing is, what is floating out on the net is *not a finished product as a matter of fact it's no where near one.

a ton of crap is missing, so even people who do download it are going to miss out if they think what they have is what will be in stores.

the main thing lucasarts needs to do is put a damn cd key on the game.

notice I say LA, not Raven. Raven does put cd keys on their games but LA for whatever reason does not.

And why they are one of the few companies who put out high dollar retail products w/o any means to prevent people from just ripping them and transfering it is beyond me..
 Smood
07-30-2003, 5:44 PM
Sorry to say this, but it is the fault of Raven and Lucas that this has happened!

The only way something like this could have happened is some official, or special individual with access to a earlier build of the game (who appeared to be trust worthy) distributes the game. It is a lesson to tighten game security, and narrow down the list of people with access to the game build (be it developers or testers) and/or employ certain security measures to prevent this.

I ALSO HOPE this is a very bad build of the game. Since it is not fair to us and RAVEN + LUCAS, that these pirates get JA early and illegally! If the build is very bad with bugs (and doesnt even rUN!) then all those pirates wont get what they want! :)

I especially hope it is not the build that Gamespot got to see, because they said they were having a lot of fun with it! :(
 Smood
07-30-2003, 5:45 PM
Originally posted by FK | unnamed
the thing is, what is floating out on the net is *not a finished product as a matter of fact it's no where near one.

a ton of crap is missing, so even people who do download it are going to miss out if they think what they have is what will be in stores.

I'm happy to hear this. May I ask how you know?
 FK | unnamed
07-30-2003, 6:03 PM

since saturday, it's kind of hard not to know everything about it w/ 90% of the jk2 community going on and on about it.

Kind of like the way you posted the exact file name and what search tool to use in that first post. I'm sure you were just relaying what information you absorbed.
 Rumor
07-30-2003, 6:04 PM

use half your brain to come up with an answer. geez you people.
 Smood
07-30-2003, 6:53 PM
Originally posted by Rumor
use half your brain to come up with an answer. geez you people.

I didn't realize the community was discussing this as there were no threads about it that I saw. So do shut up Rumor.
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 7:07 PM

Do I even want to ask how you know this?

:confused:

Mike
 ryudom
07-30-2003, 7:09 PM
theres more then the lucasforums out there you know...
 FK | unnamed
07-30-2003, 7:22 PM
Originally posted by ryudom
theres more then the lucasforums out there you know...

Yep, but a lot of folks here don't seem to know that so they just insult people.

:(

This was actually the first place I found out about it (thanks to cowboy and his wonderful job of insul... *informing me that a few screen shots I shared were from a pirated version).

Since then just about anyone who still is active in this game has had it land right in there face every where they go (places that are not moderated).

And I will say this again in case anyone missed it, *buy the damn game when it comes out. what you are playing or trying to find now is not something that was even ready to go gold.

I know whatever comes out in a month or so is going to be much better than anything you could get illegally now so why settle for anything other than the real deal?

And I will say this again, Lucas Arts needs to put a damn cd key system in the retail version to eliminate getting screwed like they did with jk2 because it had 0 protection measures in place.
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 7:30 PM
yep, but a lot of folks here don't seem to know that so they just insult people.

:( I take issue with that - I have not insulted you in any way. I was merely asking a simple question. I have started to hear rumblings about some warez/beta leak, but as I don't frequent pirating sites (which I take to encompass MIRC, Napster-ish places, and warez ftp's and usenet, among others), I have no idea.

Mike
 FK | unnamed
07-30-2003, 7:43 PM
It was not directed to you.

I'm simply saying a lot of people here lack manners.

Last Saturday I posted some screen shots I found and got called a "bitch" and an "ass something" or w/e and threatened with a ban by a moderator of this forum and a channel op from the official jediknight IRC.

I had no clue they were from a warez copy and immediately retracted them, but these two felt just in acting like pricks right off the bat.

This smood guy posted the name of the search tool and the file name and I *politely mentioned that he may want to edit that info out and I end up catching crap from some guy I was trying to help from getting in trouble all because he got his little e-ego stepped on.

I understand what you meant mike and I in no way was offended by it, sorry if I seemed like i was jumping down your throat.

Just venting a little frustration over the way people act some times.
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
07-31-2003, 3:18 AM
It looks like those damn pirates are already getting jedi academy! I have seen something called Jedi Academy 'pre-gold' from *edit* various sources.

Damn pirates!!!

If they do have the build I saw in a screenshot, it's an old build (we've done at least 5 or 6 since then) that is incomplete, has unfinished gameplay and is probably pretty buggy. You wouldn't want to ruin your JA experience by playing that version, believe me.
 Zolden
07-31-2003, 3:51 AM
Ugh, whatever.
 Mr.Joshua
07-31-2003, 5:59 AM
1. It's probably the same build that was mentioned in the "It's about 60% done" interview.

2. litterally hundreds of people have it now

3. Even if I were to download it now, I'd still buy the game as I buy every game for a few simple reasons. a) having the actual game by the creators limits alterations to it, b) no worries about cracks for patches released by the developers and c) I'm getting in the industry and would always support those that create the game.

This big stink about this "pre gold beta" is just pointless as from my understanding it's build JKv0.0.7.0

Remember Jedi Outcast shipped at JK2v1.0.2
 txa1265
07-31-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Zolden
Ugh, whatever. There's a reason for the quote button - so we can figure out to whom you are referring ... want to clarify?

Mike
 Smood
07-31-2003, 12:30 PM
It was not directed to you.

I'm simply saying a lot of people here lack manners.

Last Saturday I posted some screen shots I found and got called a "bitch" and an "ass something" or w/e and threatened with a ban by a moderator of this forum and a channel op from the official jediknight IRC.

I had no clue they were from a warez copy and immediately retracted them, but these two felt just in acting like pricks right off the bat.

This smood guy posted the name of the search tool and the file name and I *politely mentioned that he may want to edit that info out and I end up catching crap from some guy I was trying to help from getting in trouble all because he got his little e-ego stepped on.

I understand what you meant mike and I in no way was offended by it, sorry if I seemed like i was jumping down your throat.

Just venting a little frustration over the way people act some times.

WAIT A MINUTE! I didn't give you any crap at all! I appreciated your response and followed through with it. What are you talking about?!

What I said was clearly directed at Rumor, who I quoted.
 toms
07-31-2003, 12:33 PM
i stopped downloading these things once i got over about 17... :D

Seriously though, im not convinced about the point of putting on all the copy protection... in this specific case it would probably have had no effect as it is a pre-release version that probably wouldn't have had it anyway. if i remember rightly about 80% of this stuff was beta stuff as well.

But in general, it never seems to stop the copying.... it just limits it to those few individuals with the resources to crack it (most likely REAL criminals). But the copies still end up out there.

Not only that but there is always some conflict or other with hardware or software that stops legitimate owners using it and they usually end up posting copy-protection removal patches on the support site anyway.... :rolleyes:

I remember how annoyed i got when i excitedly got Half Life home, only to find it wouldn't install. Then i had to find forums to find out it was a known problem, then download a big patch file on a slow connection... took about 2 days to be able to play it. :mad:
 Tequila
07-31-2003, 12:57 PM
I actaully know someone who has it, dont know how he got it, but i will tell you from what i have seen it is a helluva alot more then 60% done. I would say closer to like 95% from waht i have seen. And i dont mind telling you that i wish i did have it, cause it looks like a freaking blast, and omg the speeder bike fighting is soooo cool looking!!
 Kurgan
07-31-2003, 5:00 PM
I was going to move this thread, but I see Chang is aware of it. If it gets out of hand though, the hammer comes down!

Here's hoping for a keyserver on the final game...
 jipe
07-31-2003, 5:20 PM
If you want my opinion, this leaked 'beta' has done much more for JA's publicity than anything LucasArts has done so far. The game is just six weeks from release and it wouldn't be on anyone's mind (except for the dwindling JO community) if it wasn't for the 'beta'.

There seems to be a general consensus among almost every single person I've talked to (that has played JA) - they love it! They were planning on buying the game anyway, but now that they've seen it firsthand, they can't wait for release day to go out and grab it.

For Mike, and the rest of Raven: You guys have an amazing game in JA - all you need to do is wrap it up in a nice bugfree bundle and you're set. As you guys go into crunch time (if you aren't in it already), keep this in mind: I really believe that JA will be your best game yet, by far.

For LucasArts: Get your pen and paper handy, because you need a lesson in marketing. Instead of getting your panties in a bunch over the leak, realize that you need to get out there and put JA (and subsequent games) more in the public eye, so they get the attention and marketing they deserve.
 txa1265
07-31-2003, 6:44 PM
Originally posted by jipe
If you want my opinion, this leaked 'beta' has done much more for JA's publicity than anything LucasArts has done so far. The game is just six weeks from release and it wouldn't be on anyone's mind (except for the dwindling JO community) if it wasn't for the 'beta'.

There seems to be a general consensus among almost every single person I've talked to (that has played JA) - they love it! They were planning on buying the game anyway, but now that they've seen it firsthand, they can't wait for release day to go out and grab it.

I don't buy all of this stuff.

First - JA has been featured in previews this week on GameSpy, GameSpot and IGN at least, as well as getting new exposure on 3DGamers. Problem is - LA has 2 games in September, and the PC version of the fastest selling XBox game EVER coming later in the fall. Which reminds me - Galaxies is occupying major mind-share out there right now, and KOTOR just owns the XBox airwaves. So it is hard to see what is happening ... when KOTOR was 6 weeks out there wasn't much more buzz than what we see now for JA.

Second - I don't buy the various industry numbers, but believe that MP3 downloaders HAVE hurt CD sales, movie downloaders HAVE hurt ticket sales (including those Hulk 'previews' that trashed the film based on an unfinished version), and that warez HAVE hurt game sales. I basically believe that a large percentage of people who are currently stealing the beta will have no compunction about stealing the release version. Maybe you and your friends are different than everyone else ...

Mike
 Mr.Joshua
07-31-2003, 8:21 PM
Originally posted by Tequila
I actaully know someone who has it, dont know how he got it, but i will tell you from what i have seen it is a helluva alot more then 60% done. I would say closer to like 95% from waht i have seen. And i dont mind telling you that i wish i did have it, cause it looks like a freaking blast, and omg the speeder bike fighting is soooo cool looking!!

How wrong you are. Not to rub it in, but the "beta pre gold" release is REALLY old, and if you knew anything about development you'd know that version while "playable" is far from complete. It is simply a build for Raven to toy around with. One way to see this is the return models, the ones from JO, are exactly the same while we've seen screenshots of the updated versions. Not to mention the large assortment of other "bugs" and things "not in the game". And as support for my statement, here's what a raven employee had to say about the situation.

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]
If they do have the build I saw in a screenshot, it's an old build (we've done at least 5 or 6 since then) that is incomplete, has unfinished gameplay and is probably pretty buggy. You wouldn't want to ruin your JA experience by playing that version, believe me.

So everyone calm down, it's not even a mid to final beta.
 Master_Payne
07-31-2003, 8:42 PM
Sad news, this "beta" as they call it has reached the forums of the JK2 community on my country, I have already warned everyone and I hope to stop the distribution of the "game".

No matter if is finished or not is not official, and I will not let it reach the people of "my" forums.

sorry for bad english but I'm shocked :P with the info,
I will do as much as I can here, until an official release bye everyone.

Payne.
 Smood
07-31-2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Joshua

So everyone calm down, it's not even a mid to final beta.

Hope your right dude!
 Kurgan
07-31-2003, 9:18 PM
"beta gold" is an oxymoron. ; p

I can honestly say, that even if I were not an Admin on these forums, and didn't care about offending Raven/LA, etc. I would still resist the temptation to download the beta.

Why? Because I don't want to be "jaded" by an unfinished game when I could play the real thing later when the bugs have been ironed out.

I didn't download the Doom3 alpha or UT2003 beta for the same reason.

It is also possible that gameplay changes would occur. Remember all the fuss people made when gameplay was modified with the patches? The same thing could happen with the beta. People will play it and then get upset because it's different than the full game, (or worse... decide not to get the game, based on a defect in the unfinished game).

One thing I'm curious about as to these ladders and tournaments that are hurting for attention with JK2... are they by any chance focused on saber battles?

Because from 1.03 to 1.04, the non-saber components of the multiplayer game were hardly touched, and in fact with both patches, other than the lightsaber and some SP bugs, the game remained pretty much the same (heal and drain being exceptions and the amount of ammo used by the secondary Repeater).
 Tequila
07-31-2003, 10:42 PM
Dude how would you know when you havent even seen it! I have seen it and it is not some buggy pile. It looks relativley finished from what i have seen and i will definatley buy this one, looks unbelievable.
 Prime
07-31-2003, 11:39 PM
It will likely be out in a month and a half anyway...
 Mr.Joshua
07-31-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Tequila
Dude how would you know when you havent even seen it! I have seen it and it is not some buggy pile. It looks relativley finished from what i have seen and i will definatley buy this one, looks unbelievable.

Pray tell show me where I said I haven't seen it? Hmm? I run a competitve clan kid, you think no one in my clan has it? You think I don't have it? All I've said is that I'm going to buy it no matter what, and trust me, the "pre gold beta" is NOT 90% done, as confirmed by a RAVEN EMPLOYEE. Please try reading and comprehension before you ever jump off the handle at me again. Thank you.
 FK | unnamed
08-01-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan

One thing I'm curious about as to these ladders and tournaments that are hurting for attention with JK2... are they by any chance focused on saber battles?

Because from 1.03 to 1.04, the non-saber components of the multiplayer game were hardly touched, and in fact with both patches, other than the lightsaber and some SP bugs, the game remained pretty much the same (heal and drain being exceptions and the amount of ammo used by the secondary Repeater).

Well it's really been a 50/50 thing.

Back when they were in their prime guns/full force were the big thing with team based play and sabers always took center spot in the 1v1 ladders for obvious reasons.

Thing was both 1.03 and 1.04 hurt the competition in different ways.

Saber people loved 1.03 (I'm talking ladder players here people, not pub games) because it was so easy to "get the job done".

Gunners hated it because of the ammo changes to the repeater, one of the most used guns in comp play.

1.04 gave the gunners back their ammo but screwed the saber players.

After a while a lot of people just said screw it and tossed in the towel, both guns and saber players.
 acdcfanbill
08-01-2003, 12:35 AM
From now on, please discuss things which pertain to this board and will not get people into trouble, and by people forum members are the least of my worries.
Page: 1 of 1