Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

possible box cover for jedi academy.

Page: 1 of 1
 JEDI OUTCAST
07-20-2003, 9:01 AM
 PrimoSidone
07-20-2003, 9:09 AM
grrrr, reminds me of JO to much... grrr
 FiNLuX
07-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Looks good i think. :D. But I dont know if thats the one.
 StormHammer
07-20-2003, 11:04 AM
I had to copy/paste the link to see the pic, for some reason - what shows up in the thread is an E3 logo... O.o

Anyway, if that is the box cover, it doesn't look quite as good as the case for JO, IMHO. I would have expected a slightly different logo, to reflect the fact this is Jedi Academy. That logo worked well for Jedi Outcast, because you can see the II in the lightsaber, and O in the background of the JK is obviously right for Outcast. If the III has been dropped, then maybe a different logo should have been chosen.

On the other hand, I can understand sticking with a particular logo to identify a 'brand', so maybe they'll use the same logo for any other games in the series, which will help to readily identify them...
 legameboy
07-20-2003, 1:33 PM
I don't really care what the box looks like, I care about if the game is good or not. :D
 The Truthful Liar
07-20-2003, 3:55 PM
That JO logo in the middle doesn't fit right at all. :/
 HertogJan
07-20-2003, 4:14 PM
Hey it looks good if you made it yourself, but I'm positive JA will have a differen't logo, this is the JO logo :)
 Sam Fisher
07-20-2003, 4:17 PM
It looks alright, but the JO logo looks out of place.
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
07-20-2003, 4:35 PM
it looks like they just replaced the black and blue with some cracked stone :confused: . I'm hoping to see a new logo because the Jo one was while practical, wasn't jedi like enough for me. Imo it should be two sabers crossed in the middle with a starwars like banner (like the ones on the movie covers) with some of the characters that are in the game. That's just what I think it should look like.
 Sam Fisher
07-20-2003, 4:46 PM
It'd be cool if they put the main charactors on the box like on the Age of Mythology box, that would be cool.
 Blademaster_109
07-20-2003, 5:47 PM
i think its nice
 Prime
07-20-2003, 5:52 PM
In either case, it is a nice picture :)
 Blademaster_109
07-20-2003, 6:06 PM
 Reprehence
07-20-2003, 6:55 PM
I saw the marble logo somewhere else as well - I think these are just place holders for companies that want to pre-sell the game. I saw that amazon (US) was predicting sept. for PC and Nov. for Xbox - as well as a few other sites. Of course these mean next to nothing - but I will be pleased if the Xboxers have to wait for JA since we PCers have to wait for KOTOR. Serves'em right. :dev11:
 The Cheat
07-20-2003, 8:32 PM
logo looks out of place, hope it isnt the real thing
 Blademaster_109
07-20-2003, 10:20 PM
i like the marble one too. i hope its the final one
 Toa Tahu
07-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I prefer the stone art showed in this page itself.However,we all won't know which one would make it to the box...so let's just patiently wait.
 JEDI OUTCAST
07-21-2003, 4:34 PM
true. lets just wait and see.:)
 Bob Gnarly
07-21-2003, 7:25 PM
thats not it at all, the logo is for JK TWO because see how the sabers split into 2.
 Blademaster_109
07-21-2003, 8:10 PM
Originally posted by -=K1ngPin=-
thats not it at all, the logo is for JK TWO because see how the sabers split into 2.

yeah your right, they should add another split in the saber.
 yolkboy
07-22-2003, 2:15 AM
Eh... It's ok looking. I just hope that it isn't "set in stone" just quite yet. Maybe some more box cover candidates will pop up :)
 Lil Killa
07-22-2003, 4:21 AM
I think it looks nice, but I don't think that thats the cover they will use. I think th one posted by Blademaster_109 Is more probable. I like them both:D
 Kengo
07-22-2003, 7:04 AM
I kinda like it, simple and elegant design, which I think works better than a box with loads going on all over it (Dues Ex box cover, good example of simple and really good :)) I sorta doubt its the final box design though, I presume just a placeholder - seems too early and not sure about the logo.
 praenuntius
07-22-2003, 10:49 PM
My idea for a box cover would have the background using a Yavin temple stone texture, and an idle (not "ignited") lightsaber and a training sphere drone thing arranged on it. I can't really think of anything else that says "padawan" except for that braided rat's tail thing they make 'em do.
 Wudan
07-22-2003, 11:52 PM
You do realize that the JO logo looks like a "JK" and a "II" at the same time, thereby nullifying it's cool use for JA.

JA seems like it has a lot of new content, but using the same logo would really make us ask ourselves "why isn't this just an expansion" every time we see it.
 toms
07-23-2003, 9:50 AM
an expansion by any other name...;)

im not that impressed... looks like something that someone on the web has knocked up in photoshop... and i don't get what the stone effect has to do with the game.

I always liked the Tie Fighter, X-wing vs Tie fighter box covers as they looked like a film poster. THe MotS cover was just cool.

I would have thought they would want a cover that was something to do with the academy...

im really not that bothered though.
 txa1265
07-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Sorry - but you want expansion? Look at the 3 hour gameplay of MoHSpearhead, or the upcoming MoH:Breakthrough which clocks ~5 hrs. Expansions offer a smaller extension of the original - a subset NOT a superset!

JA is going to be longer than JO, and offer more features in just about every possible area. It is an evolutionary sequel, not an expansion.

Mike
 toms
07-24-2003, 11:12 AM
MoTS had as much, if not more, gameplay as JK, it had a superset of weapons, more new force powers than JA has compared to JO, improved engine, additional multiplayer modes, etc...

i'd rather pay expansion prices :D
 txa1265
07-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by toms
MoTS had as much, if not more, gameplay as JK, it had a superset of weapons, more new force powers than JA has compared to JO, improved engine, additional multiplayer modes, etc...

i'd rather pay expansion prices :D

I'd rather pay expansion prices for every game I ever bought ... ;)

Have you played JK & MotS lately? I have, and the 21 JK levels vs. 14 MotS levels scale pretty well with gameplay. So I'd put MotS at ~66% as long as JK. Don't get me wrong - MotS is longer than most FPS games (non-exp pak) coming out today. And MotS didn't necessarilyt give more weapons and powers, just different.

When I said subset, I wasn't precise in my wording - I meant subset of the game size and length. You would hope that it offered new or different weapons (and in a game with Jedi, new or different force powers) and tweaked the engine a bit.

Another thing is that 1997/98 was a long time ago in terms of gaming. Games are shorter now in general, and I think that the scope of expansions has shrunk as well. Look at the Elite Force expansion pack - MP maps, tour of Voyager, and ... um ... that's about it. MoH:Spearhead was ~3 hours long (~37% of the original by my score) and MoH:Breakthrough is supposedly ~5 hours (~62% of the original ... at least closer to MotS scope). Each offering new MP games and maps.

Still - look at the 'Expansion Pack Pricing' these days - MoH:Spearhead was priced at $35. Sure that's better than $50 for new games, but for a 3 hour SP game and some MP maps, and a requirement of owning the original? ... glad I waited ... I assume that MoH:Breakthrough will be the same.

However - MoH:Pacific Assault is not an expansion. It offers a full stand-alone game, as long as the original, and completely self-contained. Like JA it is based on the same engine and builds on the features of its' predecessor while maintaining the styling and theme that made it successful.

But then, maybe someone on the MoH boards is saying "an expansion by any other name... " as well ... ;)

For me - I don't care what the box (heh ... I typed 'boc' first time - nice ironic slip of the fingers, eh?) looks like (It'll end up in the trash anyway), or if they call it an expansion (I've already budgeted $50) or what else ... I just look forward to playing it sooner than later.

Mike
 Gabrobot
07-24-2003, 4:18 PM
Hmmm...it looks like Lucasarts is going with that logo...I opened up my PCGamer that I just got today, and on page 19 there's a Lucasarts ad for Jedi Academy that looks like the one in the original post in this thread...

I can't remember any time when Lucasarts has changed a logo of a game after they've shown it in something as big as a PCGamer ad...
 Sam Fisher
07-24-2003, 4:28 PM
Hmmm...it looks like Lucasarts is going with that logo...I opened up my PCGamer that I just got today, and on page 19 there's a Lucasarts ad for Jedi Academy that looks like the one in the original post in this thread...

I noticed that too. They shoulden't have use the JO logo though.
 txa1265
07-24-2003, 5:10 PM
Originally posted by SamFisher
I noticed that too. They shoulden't have use the JO logo though.

I don't think it is out of place. They have re-styled the JK logo, starting with Jedi Outcast, so far as I see it. The J and K each extend into parts of a saber hilt and blade.

However, the separation of blades makes it look like a 'II', so perhaps they should have re-restyled it to join them, with the J and K just separated at the hilt.

Mike
 t3rr0r
07-27-2003, 6:56 PM
Originally posted by Rumor
that, sir, is the correct box.
"for display purposes only"
 Ackehallgren
07-30-2003, 10:48 AM
The cover looks good...

I'm just hoping that JA is better than its prequel...

A lot better...
 toms
07-30-2003, 11:08 AM
i still don't get what the marble/stone has to do with anything though....
 Swat
07-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Err... The landscape of Yavin IV?
 Ackehallgren
07-30-2003, 11:17 AM
maybe its the wall on the jedi academy... maybe we are supposed to get a more "Valley Of The Jedi" feeling...
Or a more prequel trilogy movie feeling... I dont know
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Exactly - Jedi Temple wall illuminated by a blue lightsaber ...

Mike
 Prime
07-30-2003, 12:12 PM
I really don't care what the box art looks like. I mean, if it doesn't have My Little Ponies or something, I'll let most other things slide. Megatron would be cool though :D
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I really don't care what the box art looks like. I mean, if it doesn't have My Little Ponies or something, I'll let most other things slide. Megatron would be cool though :D

I agree - given the box will only be a minor impediment between me and the game, falling quickly to the trash ...

... here's an idea: two Twi'lek females in the foreground in a saber-lock, talking. Kyle is in the background, slicing up Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Kids, Smurfs and My Little Pony [your fault, Prime ;)].
Twi #1 - what's the old dude hacked off about ...
Twi #2 - the fossil's mad he isn't the star of the show anymore; AS IF he can even swing that saber anymore!
Twi #1 - what-ever?!?

Mike
 Ackehallgren
07-30-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I agree - given the box will only be a minor impediment between me and the game, falling quickly to the trash ...

... here's an idea: two Twi'lek females in the foreground in a saber-lock, talking. Kyle is in the background, slicing up Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Kids, Smurfs and My Little Pony [your fault, Prime ;)].
Twi #1 - what's the old dude hacked off about ...
Twi #2 - the fossil's mad he isn't the star of the show anymore; AS IF he can even swing that saber anymore!
Twi #1 - what-ever?!?

Mike

:D
Page: 1 of 1