Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Making out in Public

Page: 1 of 1
 obi
07-09-2003, 7:25 PM
Now, keep in mind, a kiss and making out are COMPLETELY different things-

Ok, yesterday I went to the movies, and I had pizza before the movie. I was in the resteraunt minding my own business when a young teenaged couple walks in and sits in the booth RIGHT in front of me. They begin to make out, and I can't really look in a different direction, and it is bothering me because I am trying to eat, and there they are.

So I walk up to them, tap them on the shoulder and say "Excuse me, I am trying to eat. Can you do this somewhere else?" They got all pissy at me and left.

Now here's the question- What are your views on making out in public? I think it's sick and a COMPLETE lack of respect for others around you. If I wanted to see people making out, I'd watch tv.
 Kjшlen
07-09-2003, 7:30 PM
Well maybe you could have looked at your food?
I dun mind people making out in public, however I'm not in public enough to see anything anyways XD.
 swphreak
07-09-2003, 7:31 PM
Yes, Making out in public is gross and annoying. (My def of "Making Out" is frenching and getting sweating for a long time.)

If I wanna make out I'll do that in a private place.

Kissing in public is fine with me as long as it doesn't last for 10 minutes...
 El Sitherino
07-09-2003, 7:37 PM
granted I don't like seeing other peoples tongues while I eat. but I must disagree, but only to the boundaries I know. making out to me is like just a step before you're about to rip off your clothes, but what you had described was just .... deep kissing (for the lack of a better term) it's just french kissing. I enjoy go to the pond where the ducks are, and under the sunset I like to kiss my gf (using tongue) I enjoy kissing her, I kiss her for about 8 minutes then sit and talk with her about things. Or say there is a couple on the street at the bus stop they you just happy, something happens the girls or guy kisses the other and they are their tongueing. Now if I don't wanna see it I'll just not look and go on about my business. If they are in line infront of me I'll just make a comment like "you seem a little happy." then give a little hint of that it's distracting me. if they don't stop I'll go to a different line.No big deal, I mean if you came up to me while I was kissing my gf and asked me to stop I'd probably tell you my rights. I mean in US law as long as I'm not having sex or doing anything sexually explicit (oral sex,fondling breasts,etc.) I'm not doing anything questionable or offensable. but I do agree about the resteraunt eating. unless you're in a resteraunt with those individual booths with doors. but still I'm not gonna make you stop because I have the choice of not looking. I don't like looking at people while I eat anyways because I don't like people looking at me.
 Rogue15
07-09-2003, 8:03 PM
If they are there first, you should respect them, if you were there first they should respect you.
 Dagobahn Eagle
07-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Well... it's natural, you know:).

Children might, and the keyword is *might* feel that people making out is gross, but one of the only limitations I know.

Kisses are nothing, but if you do it elaborately, or for a longer time, that's different. I guess this is what you call "making out". However, it's still okay, IMO.

I think that your case is special, seeing that you were eating. HOWEVER, if they did it at a bus stop of 40-years olds, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it. A bus stop of 6 adults and 1 child... still acceptable. A bus stop of a whole kindergarden/elementary school kid group.. that's not acceptable.
 C'jais
07-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Well er....

What IS and Eagle said :)

I don't want to watch tongues while eating either, and they could have shown some respect towards everyone else, not to mention you.

But not making out in public is a tad too Victorian for me.
 Eldritch
07-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Like Eagle said, I think that there's an [appropriate] time and place, and it's up to the involved parties to gauge the situation and decide whether or not it's a good idea.

There's nothing wrong with displaying affection, but if you're making people uncomfortable in your "make-out locale" of choice then perhaps you should consider a new venue. :D
 El Sitherino
07-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by C'jais
But not making out in public is a tad too Victorian for me. I would have said puritan but it's all the same. you know. no showing legs, no holding hands, no hint of sex, no public affection.
 Pisces
07-10-2003, 12:20 AM
Kissing in public, hell go for it, doesn't bother me in the least. Kissing with tongue, or frenching whichever you may prefer, yeah, sure to a certain degree, don't expect me to sit through a straight half hour of it. Now, making out using InsaneSith's definition, er, no. You want to get that physical, you can find a more private romantic place and go at it. Besides, most people I know wouldn't want to get that physical in public.
 Arkum
07-10-2003, 2:53 AM
if a couple wants to make out, let 'em as so long as they are not anywhere near ME!

if they are, time for me to deal out some pain, lol :p

i just cant stand punk a$$ kids thinking theyre cool and start to make out wherever the heck they want.

go somewhere private for crying out loud! dont like it? too bad, deal wit it! lol i get pissed off when annoyed :p
 ET Warrior
07-10-2003, 4:25 AM
for me it depends on where and how much of it. like, out on the sidewalk or in the middle of the street......no. Dont do it.

In a restaraunt...no. People are eating, and even if you're grossed out you know you have trouble NOT watching the couple with tounges down each others throats. It's like a train wreck, you can't look away.

At home, of course, in a dark movie theater, fine, anywhere were you are not extremely easily noticed and there is nothing else going on to distract everyone else..

Also, dont be loud about it, ESPECIALLY in a movie theater, I want to hear the dialogue, not you sucking face!!!!

And i'm done.
 __CKY__
07-10-2003, 7:16 AM
Originally posted by Pisces
Kissing in public, hell go for it, doesn't bother me in the least. Kissing with tongue, or frenching whichever you may prefer, yeah, sure to a certain degree, don't expect me to sit through a straight half hour of it. Now, making out using InsaneSith's definition, er, no. You want to get that physical, you can find a more private romantic place and go at it. Besides, most people I know wouldn't want to get that physical in public.

:cheers: To that!:D
 BawBag™
07-10-2003, 10:37 AM
O.K. This is the real truth:
If It was you and your girlfriend/fiace/wife then you wouldn't really care about what other people think. I all honesty it's a great thing when you can get it and I don't think it matters what other people think. But to be fair to obi, you say it was in a restaraunt but you could've let them have their privacy as you wanted to have yours.
 FunClown
07-10-2003, 10:40 AM
I think there is a time and a place. What happened to Obi_13 sounds like that couple could have shown a bit more respect to Obi. Though it is not really against any law, it doesn't make it right.
 SkinWalker
07-10-2003, 12:21 PM
You could have walked up and said, "is this the buffet line?"

I've told kids they should get a room, move along, and "quit showing off" before..... but only in the most public places. Places like parks, the backs of movie theaters, etc..... these places were made for making out.

But the food court at the mall, standing in line for the check out at the grocery store, etc... these are places people make out so they can show off. Just say, "can I be next?" or "I got dibs after you, man!" If you don't don't get punched, they'll usually quit :D
 ShockV1.89
07-10-2003, 1:00 PM
I kissed my girlfriend in a train station one day. Wasnt even a really deep kiss or anything, but this old dude walking by said "Hey, can I have some of that?" We laughed and I just said "Nope, I'm a greedy bastard!" But I think he was just playin...

I dunno, couples making out never really bothered me. I suppose if I was eating or trying to concentrate on something else, like a movie.... then it might bother me. But otherwise, it's their thing... If they're that mad about each other, more power to 'em!
 El Sitherino
07-10-2003, 4:14 PM
Originally posted by Pisces
Kissing in public, hell go for it, doesn't bother me in the least. Kissing with tongue, or frenching whichever you may prefer, yeah, sure to a certain degree, don't expect me to sit through a straight half hour of it. Now, making out using InsaneSith's definition, er, no. You want to get that physical, you can find a more private romantic place and go at it. Besides, most people I know wouldn't want to get that physical in public. just so you know what I defined, I don't wanna see in public either.
 Dagobahn Eagle
07-10-2003, 9:44 PM
I'll be frank with Obi's case:

When you go to a crowded movie theater, there is a certain chance there will be people making out. IMO, in particular case, if you really could not stand it, you should have moved, not them, as kissing in a theater is regarded as accepted.

In my opinion (hope I don't sound like I'm going back on my opinion here), you should be a bit mature yourself. There's frequent kissing at my high school, sometimes even in the commons area where we eat lunch, and it never really bothers me. If it was two meters away from me while I was eating.. maybe. But then if anyone were to move, that would be me. And even if I did, I'd feel bad because it might hurt them.
 ET Warrior
07-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Perhaps you misread his first post, but he wasn't in a movie theater when it happened....he was eating pizza before a movie. And I personally think that making out like that is less of a show of affection and more of a showing off. It's like screaming, "HEY! Look at us!! We can make out with each other!!!" A few kisses are fine, even if they're deeper than a peck on the cheek, just no visible tongue, please. But dont make these kisses more than A kiss. Dont drag it out and be all annoying about it.

Secondly, Obi was there first. Thus, he is the one who has already made a claim to that spot, if he was polite about asking them to stop, then they had no right to be mad. They can move just as easily as him, and as said before he WAS there first, with his food already there and they probably haven't even ordered.
 FenderJedi87
07-13-2003, 7:16 PM
My view on this is that for the most part...again this is only my opinion that it's fine. Making out in public or any public display of affection is a normal part of Americana, so to speak that has grown and developed throughout the country as social "taboos" have deteriorated. However, I am also of the opinion that a few blown make out session in a professional place(restaurants,places of business,banks, etc.) where there is supposed to be a code of conduct and of professionalism is wrong. Especially when your trying to munch down some dinner.
 daring dueler
07-15-2003, 12:48 PM
to answer ill refer to an old saying, "get a room"
 Lord Siraious
07-15-2003, 2:33 PM
I feel that that is something that should be done in private, its just me. I dont think its right to make a public display and make others uncomfortable.
 griff38
07-15-2003, 9:10 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
Now, keep in mind, a kiss and making out are COMPLETELY different things-

Ok, yesterday I went to the movies, and I had pizza before the movie. I was in the resteraunt minding my own business when a young teenaged couple walks in and sits in the booth RIGHT in front of me. They begin to make out, and I can't really look in a different direction, and it is bothering me because I am trying to eat, and there they are.

So I walk up to them, tap them on the shoulder and say "Excuse me, I am trying to eat. Can you do this somewhere else?" They got all pissy at me and left.

Now here's the question- What are your views on making out in public? I think it's sick and a COMPLETE lack of respect for others around you. If I wanted to see people making out, I'd watch tv.

Man you cracked me up with this one. Although I would not consider it sick, I agree sitting RIGHT in front of you and doing this is obnoxious. It would be another thing if they went off in the corner or something.

If, and when ANYBODY invades my basic right of way in a public space, 9 times out of 10 I say something. I would have said something to them right away very loud. HEY GO GET YOUR HICKIES somewhere else!
 mercatfat
07-19-2003, 2:08 AM
Why not? A movie theatre is as private as some couples can get, especially teenage couples with overbearing parents. It's dark and practically anonymous.

What's more shocking is that you're (Obi13), as I hear, engaged, but didn't bring your chica, and if you did, you didn't follow suit.

If you really wanted it to stop, doing it right behind them in an extremely obnoxious manner would have stopped the problem right then and there.
 Shotokan
07-21-2003, 4:52 AM
Making out should be done in private. People need to be more respectful of others around them because they may feel a little, um... offended? Also a little discretion should be taken such as where and when to make out. In a movie theater is fine, but just don't be overly noticeable. I find this alot at the movies where I hear the couple right behind me or next to me sucking each other's tongues off. It is quite gross...
 C Shutt
07-21-2003, 5:25 AM
Won't someone please think of the children???
 El Sitherino
07-23-2003, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by Carl Shutt
Won't someone please think of the children??? F*CK the children! :)

stop using children as an excuse for controlling people.
 Kain
07-25-2003, 5:07 AM
Yea, making out in public is gross, rude, and even worse, depressing. I mean think about it, how many single people wanna have a girl/guy to hold and kiss whenever? Hell, I don't kiss my girlfriend around my friends because 2 of em are single and 1 of em is all depressed about it.
 ShockV1.89
07-25-2003, 10:57 AM
I dont think he's using children as an excuse to control people. It's not all about you now. It's about the kids. I wouldnt want my child to get a sex ed lesson when we go to see Finding Nemo, and I wouldnt wish it on anyone elses kid. That's why whenever I might kiss my girlfriend intensely, I make sure there are at least no kids around.
 legameboy
07-25-2003, 8:18 PM
Well, when I was in Mexico (Guadalajara, Jalisco to be excact) it could get explicit and very extreme, there was no law in Mexico that said you couldn't do something sexually explicit in public... and I guess people said 'yipee' at the thought of it and went out and... it's very annoying, but now in America, everything is very nice (from what I've seen) so I really don't find a problem in America.
 Kurgan
07-25-2003, 9:33 PM
When I was growing up "making out" referred to (non-sexual) intimate contact like passionate kissing, prolonged hugging, light touching (over clothes, not under), that kind of thing.

Some people include "groping" (touching each other in rather private places, heh) when they say it.

I feel that there is a time and place where certain things are appropriate and when not. Even "nudist colonies" have rules (like a guy getting "excited" isn't tolerated, he has to put on a towel, and people getting hit on isn't accepted either).

In general, if it were me, I would not feel comfortable with public displays of affection like that in front of people. I would rather go someplace private to do that.

Holding a loved one's hand, or arm around their shoulder, a simple kiss, that kind of thing is okay.

The couple should be considerate of the environment. For example, if they are moaning and pawing each other in a library or something, that is totally inappropriate. To say nothing of having sex in public (where the phrase "get a room!" comes from).

There are times when "making out" in public can be appropriate, such as when the clock strikes midnight on New Year's Eve (most everybody gets a kiss/hug then) or when you get off the plane or something from your long journey.

But yeah, in general, anything more than a simple kiss/hug or that sort of thing is probably better done in private. There's nothing essentially immoral about it (non-sexual anyway), but it is bad manners and distracting.

There is no reason such people can't find some place more private to express their love for one another. I think that in some cases they are too drunk to know better, and in which case, perhaps they should sober up a bit... ; p

As far as kids are concerned, I don't think its wrong for them to learn about human relationships, but it is the parent's job to teach them right from wrong, and seeing people like that in public may set a bad example for them as to "this is how to behave." So in any case, it would be best for the parent to explain it to them, so they are not confused. Much like if they were to see a drunk person staggering around, or another child throwing a temper tantrum in public.

Hell, I don't kiss my girlfriend around my friends because 2 of em are single and 1 of em is all depressed about it.

A good point, especially when we're young. People should be able to express themselves if they want, but some amount of restraint is considerate in polite society.
 Elegy
07-28-2003, 2:38 PM
I disagree with the movies being an inappropriate place for making out. Or at least, it should depend on a few variables such as how crowded is the place? Is there anyone sitting near you? The last movie I went to see was 28 Days Later, and had to suffer through a couple making out. It was crowded as hell. Not a chance that I'd probably find another seat somewhere else, which only pissed me off further. The whole first hour of the movie I got to listen to *slurp* *slurp* *slurp*. I finally turned to them and said "Think you could do that just a *bit* more quietly? I didn't pay $6.00 on movie ticket to listen to you two make out any more than you paid $6.00 to listen to me start to whack off!" They got all pissy but apparently I wasn't the only one who was getting annoyed by it because just about everyone around them rallied to the cause. They kept going at it just to piss us off and someone eventually got up and brought an usher in who told them that wasn't appropriate behaviour in a crowded theater.

I think there are certain situations where making out in a public place is acceptable, and then certain situations where it isn't. The key is to have some consideration for the people around you; a quality that I've found 99.999999999% of society just doesn't possess.
 Thrackan Solo
07-28-2003, 9:24 PM
I was at the pool today and saw a girl and a guy on a beach chair and the girl was sitting on top of him provacatively and "making out" with him. I yelled at them to get a room and he replied with a "non chalant" bird.

But when my little 5 year cousin is standing next to me looking at them I dont want him to learn about sex by watching two hicks straddling each other at a pool when little kids are standing right there at the diving board.
 El Sitherino
07-28-2003, 9:43 PM
Originally posted by Thrackan Solo
I was at the pool today and saw a girl and a guy on a beach chair and the girl was sitting on top of him provacatively and "making out" with him. I yelled at them to get a room and he replied with a "non chalant" bird.

But when my little 5 year cousin is standing next to me looking at them I dont want him to learn about sex by watching two hicks straddling each other at a pool when little kids are standing right there at the diving board. see that kind of thing i don't condone but like sitting in a theatre sitting next to eachother and kissing at a romantic scene is ok aslong as it's not interferring with the movie
 Shotokan
07-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
see that kind of thing i don't condone but like sitting in a theatre sitting next to eachother and kissing at a romantic scene is ok aslong as it's not interferring with the movie

Well said Sith.
Page: 1 of 1