Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ETA Christmas 2003 realistic?

Page: 1 of 1
 The Count
06-20-2003, 8:00 PM
Hi, sorry to hear about the plight of your site, it must be pretty pathetic that someone would want to wreck a Website that is very altruistic, anyhoo I was wondering is Christmas 2003 the final release date realistic? I mean you have alot to do especially in maps wise, and animations wise, and 6 months as I know isn't a long time, also if you port the MOD over to JA that will I think mean basically longer.

I'm not stating here that you won't finish by Christmas, I don't know the team's working habbits, or wish to criticise them, rather I'd just like some verification that the MOD will be released in Christmas 2003, I'm not hoping it's out then, I hope it's out when it's finished to a proffessional standard, I'd rather wait another year for it to be out, than have the final product the demo fused with a 'kill the reborn ladder.'
 Darth_Linux
06-21-2003, 1:50 AM
Hi

It is our goal to release by Christmas 2003, but that of course may not happen. We pushed it to Christmas from Summer so I don't mind pushing the release out ahead again if I have to.

thanks!
 recombinant
06-21-2003, 4:25 AM
very succinct.

coudn't have put it better myself...

...but I guess that's why you're the *team leader,* huh?

:D
 The Count
06-21-2003, 5:19 AM
Originally posted by Darth_Linux
Hi

It is our goal to release by Christmas 2003, but that of course may not happen. We pushed it to Christmas from Summer so I don't mind pushing the release out ahead again if I have to.

thanks!

Thanks for the verification, heres to having it out when its done.
 Emon
06-21-2003, 12:26 PM
As far as coding, what exactly do you guys have done?
 Fracman
06-21-2003, 1:05 PM
We have started with examining the Raven code and the WLS code. Unfortunately it appeared WLS removed a lot of useable stuff jut to have a pure "cooperation" based code.

JediStone has modified e.g. all the weapon related things,
e.g. naming conventions, properties etc., to match DF.

He'll certainly explain what he did else much better than me I think...
 Emon
06-21-2003, 1:09 PM
I've heard the WLS code kind of blows. They were working with limits that no longer exist because of Q3Map2. You don't need more than 256 map models because map models in Q3Map2 are converted to map geometry, they model file isn't even needed for distribution! :)

My main concern would be the AI. Coding weapons and entities to emulate singleplayer code isn't that hard. Recreating the AI is the real challenge.
 Fracman
06-21-2003, 1:19 PM
Yes it is, me thinks, too... but is the AI needed for DF that much different from the one used in JO?
All the ennemies have a primary goal: defend and attack Kyle...
Even the ugly creatures... except they attack with their teeth or pranks.

The Q3MAP2 model conversion is fine for static models,
but not for the moving things, or do you have a demo map
that features this?
 Emon
06-21-2003, 1:44 PM
You're...kidding right? You're going to live with the horrid DF AI? You're working with this great engine and you're not going to bother making more than DF AI? Please say that's not true...

No, it works for all models. Q3Map2 breaks down the model into map triangles. If you want moving misc_models, you simply link the misc_model to a func_anything and it will do the rest for you. At compile time it'll break it down into map triangles as usual, and add it to that entity.
 Fracman
06-21-2003, 2:07 PM
Heh i'm not the official coder, but i know all the AI and animation stuff is the most complex... so we have to wait for Jedistone to show up here again to clarify :)
 Fracman
06-21-2003, 2:09 PM
The good thing with Q3MAP2 is it lights the models really great, improving much the ambience of the level :p
 Emon
06-21-2003, 7:46 PM
Q3Map2 = sex.

:)
 Darth_Linux
06-21-2003, 9:21 PM
no, we aren't replicating the Dark Forces enemy AI. The enemy AI from JO is fine for the most part. We may tweak things here and there, but I don't know yet. What we *are* doing is modifying some enemies to behave like a different creature i.e. a Dark Trooper that flies with a jet pack and uses a rocket launcher weaopn.

As far as using MD3s for prop models, we are just doing what Raven did with JO. If Q3map2 eliminates some steps by converting these to bModels, then could you offer a link that tells the level designers how to utilize this function? It may save us some headaches dealing with the whole entity replacement issue . . .
 Mullaney
06-22-2003, 4:23 PM
Emon are you attched to any mod teams?

I think you could be a valuable asset to the Dark Forces Mod, using your wide knowledge of the Quake 3 engine and applying to something extremley useful.
 Emon
06-22-2003, 6:03 PM
I'll tell you how to eliminate the use of MD3s right here. It's really easy. Just use the latest version of GtkRadiant, 1.2.13 (1.3.x is still in beta).

Instead of exporting to MD3 in Milkshape, save with Milkshape's native MS3D format (just a regular save). Use this model for the misc_model just like you would an MD3. When the file selection dialog comes up, the format pulldown lists all the available formats. Choose MS3D, then pick the file. GtkRadiant will display it like an MD3. Q3Map2 will compile it just like an MD3.

For use on func_* entities, just link the misc_model to the func_* entity and it will move, rotate, bob, etc along with it.

For texture/shader paths, just set the name of the material in Milkshape to be the exact name of the shader, like this:

textures/props/blah/texture1

Using forward slashes and no file extensions.

That's all there is to it. :)
 CortoCG
06-23-2003, 3:33 AM
No more updates.
 The_One
06-23-2003, 4:58 PM
OK, let's stop this here guys.

This is Dark Forces, not sex.

End of.
 Fracman
06-23-2003, 5:13 PM
Hehe... I always knew Corto was... no... is a beast... :naughty:
And now I know why exactly he's taking sooooo much time to finish the DT Phase 1 :giggle1:
 CortoCG
06-23-2003, 5:37 PM
No more updates.
 The Count
06-26-2003, 9:40 AM
Not being an ass or anything, but its great how this thread drifted on to something else, anyway doesn't matter, query solved.
Page: 1 of 1